Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ola
Jul 19, 2004

This is pretty interesting. Zero motorcycles didn't drop Chademo because the bike couldn't handle it, but because the chargers sucked.

https://chargedevs.com/features/zer...ting-is-needed/

quote:

Attempting to use chargers from many different manufacturers, Zero found a variety of issues.

In some cases, the chargers deviated from the CHAdeMO spec in ways that created problems specific to the motorcycle’s system. For instance, there were chargers that did not go down to 50 V, instead stopping at 200 V. This particular quirk is not something that would be easily illuminated by the other passenger EVs in production, as their battery packs have nominal voltages in the 300 V range.

There were also more general problems, like isolation check circuits that “were checking it to some insanely harsh value that was beyond what the spec dictated,” said Kluge. “It would come up with an isolation failure fault all the time, even though we met the CHAdeMO spec with megaohms of resistance.”

Other chargers had major communications problems, like noise issues that could get coupled to the CAN bus, or initial negotiation timing that was out of sync with the specification. “One charger had a noise issue that led to our bike-side CAN network going down,” said Kluge. “Not to mention the mouse pad on my laptop going wild. I had to disable it and use the keyboard only while charging.”

Really hope they pick it back up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Christ $100 a month, really? That's low enough to make it a serious consideration for eating the lease return fees on my Leaf when the time comes then just getting one of those, then letting my wife drive it to work whenever the Model 3 arrives, wherein that will cost her less than whatever gas is in a year or so more than likely.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXls4cdEv7c

Could be worse, I guess.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Surprised the hold-the-wheel bleating didn't wake him up, but I guess I've never had it trigger at stop-and-go speeds.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Reminded me of a Judge Dredd comic where the highways were filled with autopiloted RVs, because of lack of housing. And the owner of one RV had been dead for ages.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CA x-post

Tried the Zero DSR today. Fun!

Torque and power delivery was great, suspension and brakes were good, front felt kinda weird in the corners but I suppose that's just me getting used to the tire dimensions. Felt the regen braking was quite weak, perhaps it brakes more when the battery is at a lower state of charge. No matter, I pulled over, downloaded the app and was connected to the bike in about 30 seconds.

Note the little BT symbol lower left.

Everything to 100. Much better, but I still want more engine braking. Bikes engine brake a lot as it is, I felt I had to friction brake more on this than on my own bike. The app was pretty good, although I didn't spend much time with it. Showing impressive restraint for Californians, they've made it without requiring a web service connection to work, it doesn't change color scheme according to your mood and it doesn't try to detect when you want to purchase something.

One thing that impressed me was how accurately you could mete out the power, which is kinda important on something without a gearbox or clutch. Going very slowly up a steep hill can be a pain on a bike, you need revs not to stall but just a lil' bit of clutch not to go too fast, which can be hard to do smoothly. The throttle on the DSR has a very smooth ramp and I had no problem crawling up at toddler pace or jogger pace or changing between them at will. One big omission: parking brake. Would need some way of tying down the lever or something. But all in all an excellent experience The range and charging options means it's very much a commut-o-matic. My commute is by foot and I don't have a place outside to charge it, so I will have to carefully change life direction until the requirements that justify it are in place.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah I would probably be buying one of those or a FX for my commute if I had a place to store and charge it. Having to rely on street parking sucks.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If I didn't have to add the expensive options just to get to work and back I'd seriously consider that.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
So I found that the Nissan Leaf base model is available to lease for $200 a month. I also found out that the 7500 dollar credit applies to leases, washington state also has a $3000 state tax credit. If I can take advantage of the full rebates (just got married, so.. yes?) it seems like the car will basically be free, including gas savings. It's plenty of range for me to go to work and all that jazz. My local power utility even offers a 500 rebate for the charger. Am I crazy? Is there a better car for a simliar price? I guess I can only use the rebate once, but why not?

I have my 1000 dollars down on a model 3, but who knows how much rebate will be left by the time I can get to it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jago posted:

So I found that the Nissan Leaf base model is available to lease for $200 a month. I also found out that the 7500 dollar credit applies to leases, washington state also has a $3000 state tax credit. If I can take advantage of the full rebates (just got married, so.. yes?) it seems like the car will basically be free, including gas savings. It's plenty of range for me to go to work and all that jazz. My local power utility even offers a 500 rebate for the charger. Am I crazy? Is there a better car for a simliar price? I guess I can only use the rebate once, but why not?

I have my 1000 dollars down on a model 3, but who knows how much rebate will be left by the time I can get to it.

Look into the Chevy Bolt as well if it's available in your area. People are apparently getting some absolutely insane lease deals on them.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Jago posted:

Unless something changed, the federal credit does NOT apply to leases. I learned this the hard way, so be sure of that before you find yourself disappointed. That said I got the same deal on the Leaf and I love it, and there is a 30% federal tax credit for whatever you spend installing charging as well.

The Leaf is the best thing available today, though the Bolt is on the horizon and will be the first 200mi range car sub-$100k. It may not be a bad idea to go for it if you want two EVs when the Model 3 comes out, as while it will be a while it will probably not be 3 years. The only downside is that the resale/tradein value on the Leaf may be pretty meh when everyone else is also dumping theirs for a Model 3, as they're not super great as it is.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Boten Anna posted:

Unless something changed, the federal credit does NOT apply to leases. I learned this the hard way, so be sure of that before you find yourself disappointed.

Pretty sure it does, but it applies to the owner of the vehicle, IE: The lessor.

Regardless, you personally will not be getting any of the tax benefit from it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Boten Anna posted:

The Leaf is the best thing available today, though the Bolt is on the horizon and will be the first 200mi range car sub-$100k.

Base Model S is > 200mi and < $100k, it's been that way for years.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MrYenko posted:

Pretty sure it does, but it applies to the owner of the vehicle, IE: The lessor.

Regardless, you personally will not be getting any of the tax benefit from it.

You won't get the credit directly, but the lease amount takes it into account. That's why they lease for way lower than a car with similar msrp.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Fwiw, Honda is now saying they plan to produce their E-Cub in 2018, though initially just in Asia. It's chafing me that all the Big 4 are still so slow to dip a toe into e-bikes since I think the urban millennial market will be all over this poo poo so they can stay car-free in the cities. I was really hoping when I came back from Africa that my next bike would be Electric instead of ICE, but the market just isn't there yet so I'm just gonna get a beater Yamaha TW200 dual-sport dirtbike and use that as my urban get-around.

I am digging the design for the cub though, just needs darker colors. The Cub is a great compromise for having most of the comfort and advantages of a scooter, but slightly less lame-looking and more importantly with the longer wheelbase and larger tires of a small motorbike.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

fknlo posted:

Look into the Chevy Bolt as well if it's available in your area. People are apparently getting some absolutely insane lease deals on them.

Are they actually putting in preorders with the dealers? That is kind of interesting...

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
I would love to get some details about the Chevy bolt leases. Especially the residuals and the MF. I spend about 120 on gas and rising and if I can lease a bolt for 100 I'd come out way ahead.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I was really hoping when I came back from Africa that my next bike would be Electric instead of ICE, but the market just isn't there yet so I'm just gonna get a beater Yamaha TW200 dual-sport dirtbike and use that as my urban get-around.

If the Zero isn't outside your budget, give it a try. If it is outside the budget, give it a try anyway just for fun. (I'm guessing the e-Cub won't be too cheap either) I rode the SR version today:

Personally I'd want some taller handlebars for upright ergos and a Givi rack, otherwise it's just *kisses fingers* mwah! Not sure if I'd get the lower hp version for less $ or what's best of the charging or range option. If there are many J1772 charging points around, that might be a better choice but it's only 16A anyway. The bike really needs fast DC charging, but less so for urban use. You get great e-mileage in the city as opposed to an ICE. Driving slowly in traffic is also much easier than feathering a clutch.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Fwiw, Honda is now saying they plan to produce their E-Cub in 2018, though initially just in Asia. It's chafing me that all the Big 4 are still so slow to dip a toe into e-bikes since I think the urban snake person market will be all over this poo poo so they can stay car-free in the cities. I was really hoping when I came back from Africa that my next bike would be Electric instead of ICE, but the market just isn't there yet so I'm just gonna get a beater Yamaha TW200 dual-sport dirtbike and use that as my urban get-around.

I am digging the design for the cub though, just needs darker colors. The Cub is a great compromise for having most of the comfort and advantages of a scooter, but slightly less lame-looking and more importantly with the longer wheelbase and larger tires of a small motorbike.

And you meet the nicest people on them

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tesla released some more information about Autopilot today at an MIT conference.

http://electrek.co/2016/05/24/tesla-autopilot-miles-data/

quote:

While Tesla owners have driven around 100 million miles on Autopilot, Anderson reveals that the fleet Autopilot hardware-equipped cars has collectively driven 780 million miles.

[...]

“We first install (the Autopilot system) in a logging fashion across 70,000 vehicles. We watch over 10’s of millions of miles with the new (Autopilot) features not turned on. We only turn it on when we know it is empirically safer.”

Now if they would just unfuck the process of moving my car to Canada.

E: it's crazy to me that 1/8 of the distance traveled by Autopilot-equipped cars were with Autopilot in control. And Autopilot wasn't even available to activate for that whole time!

E2: another article covering the same stuff: https://www.technologyreview.com/s/601567/tesla-tests-self-driving-functions-with-secret-updates-to-its-customers-cars/

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 26, 2016

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Speaking of autopilot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQkx-4pFjus

Not sure if those beeps are the crash warning or a multi combo bonus on Candy Crush.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Confirming something we all basically already knew: While all Model 3s will be capable of supercharging, it will not be free. (though you may be able to purchase some sort of optional "season pass" up front)

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/31/11825636/elon-musk-tesla-model-3-superchargers-not-free

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Sagebrush posted:

Confirming something we all basically already knew: While all Model 3s will be capable of supercharging, it will not be free. (though you may be able to purchase some sort of optional "season pass" up front)

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/31/11825636/elon-musk-tesla-model-3-superchargers-not-free

God I hope so, the superchargers are full enough as it is in Socal.

In other news my "assuredly a lemon" Model S has been flawless over 3k miles; having just passed 5k total.

Also confirmed superchargers don't close, filled up last night at 3am and was the only soul in sight in fountain valley.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Supercharging has never really been free. And the power they get from the grid obviously isn't. On the cheaper S60, you had to purchase a pretty expensive package to enable it. The hardware and software was obviously already there, what you paid for was essentially 10-15 years of free use. I think a Model S may prove to be a very good deal in this regard if they turn out to last a long time.

Getting free electricity for the life of the car isn't a reasonable demand, but having good infrastructure is. If the stations can actually make a little bit of profit for Tesla instead of just being a massive liability in the future, they can keep expanding them. Then the buyers can pay for the supercharger access they need it instead of one huge sum regardless of requirement.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
These days, how crazy impractical is it to convert an ICE car to electric? My dream car is an early 2000s Toyota Spyder, and Toyota has shown off prototype e-variants for years with no sign of production, plus I prefer the older body style anyway. Would converting a Spyder be an eccentric monocled Zeppelin-flying rich guy project, or something that would come in as cheap as or cheaper than buying a new e-car?

EDIT: back in 2011 a company got a lot of press for a ~$15k kit to electrify your Miata, but they shut down this year to "pursue other ventures".

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm no car mechanic, but I understand it to be a three-monocle problem at least.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
There used to be a lot of this and I suspect there are kits around. It will be a bad car though and expensive. If you can bolt in a Prius drivetrain and computer all the better.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Subjunctive posted:

I'm no car mechanic, but I understand it to be a three-monocle problem at least.

:monocle:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Musk talked yesterday about less than a dozen engineers taking 3 months to electrify a smart car.
Jesus Christ. GM would take a dozen engineers 3 months to design the windshield wipers. No wonder Tesla gets so much more poo poo done.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

These days, how crazy impractical is it to convert an ICE car to electric? My dream car is an early 2000s Toyota Spyder, and Toyota has shown off prototype e-variants for years with no sign of production, plus I prefer the older body style anyway. Would converting a Spyder be an eccentric monocled Zeppelin-flying rich guy project, or something that would come in as cheap as or cheaper than buying a new e-car?

EDIT: back in 2011 a company got a lot of press for a ~$15k kit to electrify your Miata, but they shut down this year to "pursue other ventures".

There are companies that do just this. Zendrive will convert beetles and other rear-engined VWs as well as Porsche 912s to EVs.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Your heart is thinking "a Tesla in the body of a Toyota Spyder" but the reality will be "a bumper car in the unevenly loaded body of a Toyota Spyder - which still isn't finished".

It's doable, you can get good motors and battery packages from wrecks etc but it will suck and cost more than buying a Leaf for commuting + a Spyder for weekend fun.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I don't live particularly close to any supercharger (though there really should be one near me, I'm sure there will be eventually) so I actually kind of hope I have options other than "$2000 package to enable supercharging free forever" or "no supercharging" as I'd much rather just pay a nominal per-use fee while on road trips, much like I do now for various charging networks while on road trips with my Leaf.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

There's a guy down the street from me who has an electric-converted MR2, so almost exactly what you're trying to do. It has the requisite electricity pun license plate that I can't quite remember. I've seen it out driving exactly twice.

ilkhan posted:

Musk talked yesterday about less than a dozen engineers taking 3 months to electrify a smart car.
Jesus Christ. GM would take a dozen engineers 3 months to design the windshield wipers. No wonder Tesla gets so much more poo poo done.

Remember that everything Elon Musk says is 20% lies, 80% exaggeration, and 1000% optimistic. It may have taken less than a dozen engineers who already work for Tesla, using established and available Tesla technology and components, three months to drop some motors and batteries into a smart car. GM engineers could also drop the motor and batteries from a Volt into a smart car in no time at all. Any manufacturer could do the same. Hell, I bet the guys from Junkyard Wars or Mythbusters could do it in under three months if they were given all the important mechanical parts.

Boten Anna posted:

I don't live particularly close to any supercharger (though there really should be one near me, I'm sure there will be eventually) so I actually kind of hope I have options other than "$2000 package to enable supercharging free forever" or "no supercharging" as I'd much rather just pay a nominal per-use fee while on road trips, much like I do now for various charging networks while on road trips with my Leaf.

I'm sure there will be a pay-per-use option. The supercharger protocol already transmits a ton of data about your car including the VIN, so they can probably just charge your credit card automatically.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 1, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EV West seems to have a kit for the older MR2s, I'd wonder how much of that can be adapted to the newer one.

http://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=219

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmDyK4Dyu-E

Having read a lot of EV conversion build logs from what I've seen it's sort of a mixed bag compared to combustion engine swaps. The physical placement of the drive components is usually easier because they tend to be smaller and less parts have to mount in specific places in relation to the rest. Any electronic integration you choose to do is going to be similar to any other engine swap. Belt-driven accessories like A/C and power steering will obviously require some thought if you want to keep them (though with a small convertible you probably could ditch both without losing much). You'll also be operating in less charted territory too, ICE swaps on popular sporty cars are relatively common by comparison, so the community knowledgebase to pull from is smaller.

Effectively you'd be DIYing the same basic concept as a Tesla Roadster. Think about how rough those were as low-volume production vehicles, then realize your homebrew creation will likely be worse.

That said in no way am I saying you shouldn't do this, as long as you know what you're getting in to it sounds like a fun and interesting project.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Sagebrush posted:

It has the requisite electricity pun license plate that I can't quite remember.

I wonder what % of AMPEDUP vanity plates are taken for Teslas in the US?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

wolrah posted:

EV West seems to have a kit for the older MR2s, I'd wonder how much of that can be adapted to the newer one.

http://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=219

$7000 for the kit, that buys you the Toyota: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=429072502

$13000 for a 24 kWh battery, that buys you a Leaf: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=428099348

So before you've bought a donor Toyota, you're already on par with the budget for two cars. I feel bad nay-saying such a fun project idea, but having seen my share of build logs as well, it does usually end up pretty terrible. Stuff that's still viable to DIY, IMO: Tractors, ATVs, small boats.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ilkhan posted:

And yet GM is beating them to market with an affordable 200 mile ev by at least several years...

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
That doesn't count because reasons

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 2, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ola posted:

So before you've bought a donor Toyota, you're already on par with the budget for two cars. I feel bad nay-saying such a fun project idea, but having seen my share of build logs as well, it does usually end up pretty terrible. Stuff that's still viable to DIY, IMO: Tractors, ATVs, small boats.
Very true, but how often do car projects make financial sense? Especially engine swaps. There's nothing wrong with a project to do something illogical just because you want to, as long as you're aware that's what you're getting in to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

blugu64 posted:

That doesn't count because reasons

because lol partsbincavalier90s

• Locked thread