Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

david_a posted:

I just got done watching The Revenant and I feel like I've seen a movie that was partially similar to it (no, it wasn't Man in the Wilderness). Similar Western frontier landscape setting, some guys are carrying some type of treasure (maybe gold?) trying to get back to civilization. One or maybe two of them double-cross and incapacitate their guide. He/they tell the rest of them he's dead and they continue on. They journey for days (I think over some snowy mountains too) but I think the party eventually fragments and they all end up dying. I think the guide ends up dying too from the injuries they gave him. I don't know how old; safely from the 70s to early 90s.

it's probably not this but that is close to the plot of Tarzan and his Mate (1934)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

moller posted:

It's actually Earth Girls are Easy.

Truman Show. :colbert:

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
He's kind of amazing as a deformed Elvis comic in Pink Cadillac.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Ok, so I am trying to remember the name of a movie that was probably recommend on these forums a few years or so ago. I think it was on Netflix? Also possibly Canadian

There are these four (or five?) male friends, and one of them has a psychotic break and stabs another guy through the hand. The character who got stabbed through the hand also taught at a school for the deaf

Anyways, the guy who had the break has been released/medicated and they all go for a camping trip in the woods. There they find something that is, like, a weird beam of light? I don't remember what it did, and that was like the main plot point of the movie.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

The Corridor?

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012

MrGreenShirt posted:

The Corridor?

That's it! Thank you

Starblind
Apr 4, 2007

Encomium in colour

david_a posted:

I just got done watching The Revenant and I feel like I've seen a movie that was partially similar to it (no, it wasn't Man in the Wilderness). Similar Western frontier landscape setting, some guys are carrying some type of treasure (maybe gold?) trying to get back to civilization. One or maybe two of them double-cross and incapacitate their guide. He/they tell the rest of them he's dead and they continue on. They journey for days (I think over some snowy mountains too) but I think the party eventually fragments and they all end up dying. I think the guide ends up dying too from the injuries they gave him. I don't know how old; safely from the 70s to early 90s.

Maybe Ravenous? I don't remember anything about a treasure, but Ravenous and The Revenant have a lot of similarities.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
Trying to remember a film I saw years ago. Its an older (mid 90's I believe) British gangster film (maybe eastern European) and some guys hang a guy upside down and drain all his blood before dismembering him. I believe they were eastern European gangsters. I was very drunk when I watched it but remember I liked it a lot. I believe it was the first film in a trilogy too?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Starblind posted:

Maybe Ravenous? I don't remember anything about a treasure, but Ravenous and The Revenant have a lot of similarities.
No treasure in Ravenous, just a lot of cannibalism. That gives people superpowers.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

Apparition posted:

Trying to remember a film I saw years ago. Its an older (mid 90's I believe) British gangster film (maybe eastern European) and some guys hang a guy upside down and drain all his blood before dismembering him. I believe they were eastern European gangsters. I was very drunk when I watched it but remember I liked it a lot. I believe it was the first film in a trilogy too?

Maybe Gangster No. 1. I half remember that had a particular scene of Paul Bettany in his underpants dismembering someone in a bathtub.

EDIT: Or it could've been one of the Pusher trilogy, they do that sort of thing a lot. Not British but still.

Incidentally Seraphim Falls is a kind of western with one person chasing another across the land

donquixotic fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 1, 2016

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

donquixotic posted:

EDIT: Or it could've been one of the Pusher trilogy, they do that sort of thing a lot. Not British but still.

Yea, I think it was I'm the Angel of Death: Pusher III that had a horrifying scene like that.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does anyone know what movie (if any) the line "there's no escape from this house" is sampled from? From this song (I linked it to start at the sample but it starts at 1:27 if that doesn't work)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tEYjSDlzPE&t=87s

Starblind
Apr 4, 2007

Encomium in colour

Kvlt! posted:

Does anyone know what movie (if any) the line "there's no escape from this house" is sampled from? From this song (I linked it to start at the sample but it starts at 1:27 if that doesn't work)

That sounds really familiar to me, I think it might be either a pinball machine or a 16-bit era video game though.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

I don't recall that specific line, but it certainly could be from The Evil (1978).

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

morestuff posted:

Or that bit with the spears in Ace Ventura 2

http://youtu.be/JEmklTvAkbM

Yup, that's the one

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

This movie has eluded me so long I'm starting to think I just had a fever dream one night. All I really remember is it was from the early 90s, and there was a scientist or something that was attacked by goons and they blew up his lab by having one of those drinking bird toys peck a bomb detonator. The scientist got horribly burned and his crime-fighting get-up was like a fedora, a duster, and bandages covering most of his face. I think the final showdown with the bad guy was on a half-finished construction site?

Any time I mention my (admittedly poor) recollection of the plot to people, they never know what the Hell movie I'm trying to describe.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Darkman?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Sounds like Darkman

https://youtu.be/3fwlRWBtHLg

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Yeah all that stuff happens in the first Darkman movie.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Holy poo poo it IS Darkman!

Thanks guys! Mystery solved (finally)!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Darkman basically is a fever dream so no wonder you were doubting it was real.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Darkman rules.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Yeah, agreed. Raimi at his finest.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

david_a posted:

This scene never gets old, holy poo poo.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Someone is trying to fool someone else with a briefcase of money. 100s are on tops of the stacks but underneath is blank paper. The money was rubberbanded.

Thanks.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

oldpainless posted:

Someone is trying to fool someone else with a briefcase of money. 100s are on tops of the stacks but underneath is blank paper. The money was rubberbanded.

Thanks.

This is a long shot, but 3 Ninjas?

Edit: Seriously, there was a scene at the beginning with a bunch of exposition with regards to the bad guy being all evil and I think someone tries to pull this on him.

Edit: I knew I wasn't crazy.

Approx 8m50s here:

https://youtu.be/SKeytCtbkYQ

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 7, 2016

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Edit: Seriously, there was a scene at the beginning with a bunch of exposition with regards to the bad guy being all evil and I think someone tries to pull this on him.

Approx 8m50s here:

This bugged me my entire drive home and now I can't even watch the clip because of Disney hating me!

In my head I swear it was something that happens in Blank Check.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Thanks.

That's a real staple in movies and TV - there's a few different ways to do it, still

1 - real (or plausible counterfeit) on top of paper.
2 - paper only
3 - real/good fake on top of smaller denomination filler
4 - real/fake on top of explosive
5 - explosive only
6 - #4 but with snakes/other antisocial critters
7 - less common: actually making a legit payout and taking it back later
8 - even more rare: just not loving with the payout at all and realizing it will be cheaper to be done with it now than seeing how hard it bites you in the rear end later

Might need a little more detail, unless Rupert Buttermilk nailed it, in which case I may hire him to pick lottery numbers for me.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

That's a real staple in movies and TV - there's a few different ways to do it, still

1 - real (or plausible counterfeit) on top of paper.
2 - paper only
3 - real/good fake on top of smaller denomination filler
4 - real/fake on top of explosive
5 - explosive only
6 - #4 but with snakes/other antisocial critters
7 - less common: actually making a legit payout and taking it back later
8 - even more rare: just not loving with the payout at all and realizing it will be cheaper to be done with it now than seeing how hard it bites you in the rear end later

Might need a little more detail, unless Rupert Buttermilk nailed it, in which case I may hire him to pick lottery numbers for me.

or just list the movies that have what he said and not that other crap?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

david_a posted:

I first saw it on tv when I was 6 or 7, just rewatched it today, and holy crap it's more amazing than I remembered. Like a decade ago I was home to visit, was watching tv with my brother, and he flipped past what I was certain was the movie. I yelled 'it's that drinking bird bomb movie! Turn it back!' Of course, he was a total dick and wouldn't...

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Approx 8m50s here:

Yes it was 3 Ninjas. Thank you.

MissAnthropic
Jul 28, 2002
I haven't seen this movie, but I saw this summary in another thread and I really want to know what it is! Neither of these posters have plat, and I don't want to bump that thread for something off-topic, so I figured I'd ask here and see if anyone knows it.

Tom Gorman posted:

kid is probably caught in the web of a corrupted forest god who takes the form of a half-woman half-spider and catches children to feed on their dreams and memories

pretty hosed up if you ask me

Profondo Rosso posted:

uhhh that movie was korean

Any suggestions?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MissAnthropic posted:

I haven't seen this movie, but I saw this summary in another thread and I really want to know what it is! Neither of these posters have plat, and I don't want to bump that thread for something off-topic, so I figured I'd ask here and see if anyone knows it.

Any suggestions?
The first one kind of sounds like Coraline, but that's not Korean.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Hello friends. I am looking for a movie I watched on an Aer Lingus flight back in the 90s when I was a kid. Assuming it was Irish only because of the carrier but accents could have been from the UK. Main scenes that I remember:

Shy teacher protests something political and ends up on the news shouting something like "Look everyone! Look at what's happening here in [area of strife]!!!" Later on he's teaching a class to some young kids and one of them who had seen him on TV quips "Look everyone! Look at what's happening up at the blackboard!!!" and all the kids laugh at him and he gets all bashful.

This was on a family trip when I was not even in high school yet, so even if they beat the viewer over the head with the time period / context / social issue I wouldn't have got it, so I don't have anything about it aside from that (probably wrong) blackboard quote. Searching google I'm only getting login pages for online learning portal blackboard.com which is not what I'm looking for :P

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013
I'm trying to find a pretty lousy horror movie I half-peeped a year ago on TV. It was made somewhere between 2009-2014.

I only caught a scene near the end. The movie as far as I can tell, features about 6-7 women, and they're trying to escape a house filled with traps (probably?). There's a flashback revealing that a prank they did went wrong and caused someone to die. The one specific scene I remember takes place in a dilapidated room, the killer may or may not have been revealed at this point -- if it was, it was one of the girls. One of the women is trapped in a tub and two of the other women are attempting to drop a TV into it to electrocute her. Another women enters with a gun in an attempt to stop them.

This wasn't a huge film, I don't think it had a wikipedia article when I originally looked it up. A review mentioned that at one point there were some sort of weaponized sex toy but it never actually came into use.

I should note that this was not Sorority Row, the remake of House on Sorority Row from 2014.

Thanks in advance if any of you can help me out!

Edit: Scratch all that. It's The Scarehouse (2014).

Jeep fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 13, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This is the shot in the dark to end all shots in the dark, but here goes.

I want to find a Canadian bilingual film, shot mostly in first person perspective, about a bilingual Quebecer who eventually develops a split personality corresponding to each language he speaks. He eventually goes into politics and his personalities declare war on each other. The movie features a lot of home video-looking footage, and most of it takes place in Montreal, I believe. At one point in the film, a soup kitchen burns down. Jean Chretien makes a guest appearance in the form of news footage so I can only assume the film was made when he was still PM, between 1993 and 2003, or shortly after. The movie ends with the guy swimming naked in a river and meeting an also naked child version of himself.

I caught this movie on TV very late one night, and though I only saw the second half, I really liked it. I believe it was feature length but I can't be sure. Searching databases of Canadian and Quebec films only helped me realize that Canadians really loving like making movies about pianists and people with AIDS.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

As a Quebecer (though originally from NB) I NEED to see that film.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I somehow found it by remembering one of the lines and googling it, which led me to a blog post by a forgotten rapper quoting the film.

It's "Yes Sir! Madame" from 1994.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0352002/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-xbhmej350

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

donquixotic posted:

Maybe Gangster No. 1. I half remember that had a particular scene of Paul Bettany in his underpants dismembering someone in a bathtub.

Incidentally Seraphim Falls is a kind of western with one person chasing another across the land

Weeks later but I wanted to thank you because it was really bothering me, it was the third Pusher film.

Koala Cola fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

I'm looking for a (not particulary good) movie that I don't remember much from. It was set in our time and it involved a dragon (or multiple dragons?) in some kind of research facility, and the only thing I remember is a shot of a dragon crawling through some kind of tunnel.

Saw this roughly between 2007-2009, probably on TV.

Not a lot to go on but maybe someone has an idea ...