Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

poty posted:

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Apple-to-extend-iPhone-s-product-cycle

tim "got nothing" cook has officially run out of steves ideas and doesnt have a clue what to do next. i for one look forward to the big launch of the iphone 6b this september. the b stands for barometer

What other gimmicky poo poo is there left to cram in smart phones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

theflyingexecutive posted:

presumably the only things leaking are pictures of pcbs and not like source code. that's probably not a big deal, yeah?

if he's allowing leaks of components then it's a fair assumption that other leaks are occurring and are otherwise tolerated

again, steve literally, unironically had people killed to prevent leaks and it prevented leaks

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

eric posted:

more batteries

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Stymie posted:

if he's allowing leaks of components then it's a fair assumption that other leaks are occurring and are otherwise tolerated

no it's not

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
too bad someone didn't leak proper cancer treatment to steve

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

it's absolutely reasonable, a source code leak isn't sexy and wouldn't make the rounds on the blogs or forbes

plus the competitors taking advantage of the leaks would be more eager to keep them quiet

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

except there are orders of magnitude fewer employees handling code vs fabricating camera assemblies. these people are better paid and less likely to risk their job passing secrets

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
and yet tim's poor leadership fosters an environment where such leaks would go unnoticed and no action would be taken as has been repeatedly demonstrated

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

eric posted:

they did

he ignored it because he was smarter than a bunch of bozo doctors and knew he could beat cancer by eating special rice and beans

dude just loved to abandon his partner and children

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

eric posted:

hi folks, it's your pal stymie here with a hot tip:

folks that are facing cancer diagnoses have a myriad of concerns that they need to address, not the least of which is whether or not to undergo cancer treatments because of the incredibly harsh side effects that can result in a drastic reduction in quality of life for a minor chance at short-term remission

so don't be an rear end in a top hat and judge them for their decisions if they don't make the "obvious" choice about their own lives

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

FMguru posted:

they did

he ignored it because he was smarter than a bunch of bozo doctors and knew he could beat cancer by eating special rice and beans

dude just loved to abandon his partner and children

unfortunately steve thought holistic medicine meant only using the parts of medicine u liked and not all options

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i also love the meme that "steve thought he was smarter than the doctors" when he didn't choose regular cancer treatment

he thought he was just as smart as the doctors, because doctors don't go in for cancer treatments either

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
yeah, doctors that get cancer run immediately to their crystal therapists

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

we all know steve was a miser, denying employees stock compensation. that is, unless it came to the leather in his personal private jet seat

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

i wonder who sits a dead steve's jet chair now

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

prefect posted:

yeah, doctors that get cancer run immediately to their crystal therapists

nah they just go straight to the morphine

whenever they do polls of doctors about what sort of medical procedures that they themselves would undertake it's always pain medication and nothing else because they know the rest are either ridiculous shams or have such harsh side effects that they aren't worth it

ironically, hospice care tends to result in longer lifespans and definitely better quality of life than regular treatment

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Stymie posted:

nah they just go straight to the morphine

whenever they do polls of doctors about what sort of medical procedures that they themselves would undertake it's always pain medication and nothing else because they know the rest are either ridiculous shams or have such harsh side effects that they aren't worth it

ironically, hospice care tends to result in longer lifespans and definitely better quality of life than regular treatment

no, you're referring to that graph of what resuscitation measures doctors would want if they had been deprived of oxygen for 0-n minutes and it turns out that doctors know cpr is useless if you've been hypoxic for twenty minutes. stop making up stupid bullshit

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

no, you're referring to that graph of what resuscitation measures doctors would want if they had been deprived of oxygen for 0-n minutes and it turns out that doctors know cpr is useless if you've been hypoxic for twenty minutes. stop making up stupid bullshit

you're right there's only one survey of doctors that exists, my bad

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

i read anesthesia gently caress w/ ppl heads

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Stymie posted:

you're right there's only one survey of doctors that exists, my bad

this is the part where you post a survey, not double down on your fifth hand info

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i like reading a stymie post and being in on the joke. sometimes i even indirectly address what they're saying. but please don't quote or debate stymie on this site.

poty posted:

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Apple-to-extend-iPhone-s-product-cycle

tim "got nothing" cook has officially run out of steves ideas and doesnt have a clue what to do next. i for one look forward to the big launch of the iphone 6b this september. the b stands for barometer

a while ago Apple hired Ives' friend Mark Newson, and his influence perhaps breathed new life into the iPhone design that had distinctly precise angles. here is the Lockheed Lounge Chair by Newson, with no corners.

the iPhone 6 was basically the pinnacle. seamless, unibody, and now completely smooth all the way around. it's what Apple has been trying to make for years. you make a nearly seamless, unibody device, then after half a decade get the tooling right to shave off the last harsh aspect; the corners. it's extremely hard to know where to go from here.

that said, jony has said in interviews that they want to do something radically different with iPhone. i think he was implying it's stagnated because it's still a screen that you hold in your hand, or hold to your ear, and tap to interact with in the same way you did almost 10 years ago. a screen with multitouch was a revolution, but it's become the convention.

when jony was named chief design officer he did an interview with stephen fry where they said he wanted to do more "blue-sky thinking" (a britishism for thinking well outside the box). this all makes me think Apple is at work making something that throws out a lot of smartphone conventions and goes in a different direction.

thank you for reading.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

this is the part where you post a survey, not double down on your fifth hand info

no this is the part where i tell you that this isn't d&d and if you want proof google it yourself

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

PleasureKevin posted:

the iPhone 6 was basically the pinnacle

pinnacle of poo poo, lol

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

"blue-sky thinking" (a britishism for thinking well outside the box)

in the U.S. it means baseless / fraudulent / snake oil / etc

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

this was steve's second bout with cancer. this decreased his chances of making it by a lot. he also probably hated it the first time.

i'm a avowed mocker of pseudo science, but if i was about to die, i'd probably carry a lucky rabbits foot around to ease the existential panic.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

heh, simple-minded cretin

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

the 4 was unequivocally the pinnacle of iphone design, everyone knows this

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

eric posted:

a bunch of lasers to do positional and hand tracking so you can go full gargoyle and strap the phone to your face and wander around in your minecraft house and fall off a curb and get crushed by a street sweeper

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
i want to wander around the family farm and throw pokeballs at various creatures and then get mauled to death by the grizzly bear that's stealing all the apples and pooping by the apple trees

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

that chair looks loving stupid

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Stymie posted:

no this is the part where i tell you that this isn't d&d and if you want proof google it yourself

yeah let me just go on to the burden of proof store and pick up a big bag of burden of proof so you can have all the burden of proof you want. burden of proof for everyone!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Actually it's awesome to get chemotherapy. Take it from my 30 year old uncle who now has wispy balding hair, dead balls, and probable chemo-induced brain damage that makes him paranoid and somewhat psychotic

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But at least he doesn't have cancer!!!!

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

yeah let me just go on to the burden of proof store and pick up a big bag of burden of proof so you can have all the burden of proof you want. burden of proof for everyone!

why are you doing this

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Larry Parrish posted:

But at least he doesn't have cancer!!!!

he most likely still has cancer :ssh:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2014/05/most-physicians-would-forgo-aggressive-treatment-for-themselves-.html

Puppy Galaxy posted:

that chair looks loving stupid

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

steve jobs was so centered and accepting of his cancerous fate that he underwent a liver transplant

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Jenny Agutter posted:

steve jobs was so centered and accepting of his cancerous fate that he underwent a liver transplant

well his slogan was "geniuses de-liver"!!

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's super cool how folks are so eager to be critical of someone facing life and death decisions in retrospect without needing to take on any of the consequences of those decisions themselves

just remember: if you don't suffer until your last moments then you're a quitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
no pain no gain

• Locked thread