Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonotoneKimi
Oct 9, 2012

Another month just about on track!

14. The Soldier's Wife (Margaret Leroy)
A woman’s time in Guernsey during WWII. Easy read and interesting enough.

15. The Lions of Al-Rassen (Guy Gavriel Kay)
A fantasy retelling of the Reconquista, but more about the relations between the three religious groups (not-Jews, not-Muslims and not-Christians) as told through the friendship of Jehane, Ammar and Rodrigo. I felt the pace was perhaps a bit slow through the middle section of the book, but altogether a compelling read which really got across the feeling of the end of a world. I felt genuinely sad and unsettled by the end, given that the book is essentially inspired by the end of real life Al-Andalus.

16. Ward Number Six and Other Stories (Anton Chekhov)
As well as Ward Six, this collection included The Butterfly, Ariadne, A Dreary Story, Neighbours, An Anonymous Story, Doctor Startsev. I read the stories of the course of a couple of months, all of them were interesting in some way - although I can no longer remember what Ariadne was about. Most of the stories had a doctor as the main character – from the introduction this choice was intentional – this made Neighbours and An Anonymous Story a nice change of pace. My favourite here was The Butterfly. I read slightly out of order, ending on An Anonymous Story, this seemed a better close than Doctor Startsev and worked for me.

17. The Sword of the Lictor (Gene Wolfe)
Third book in the series. I have resigned myself to being confused at the start of each book in this series, as they seem not to start up where they left off. The best of the series so far for me, really managed to shock me with the sudden death of little Severian and it was pretty amusing when I realised that the horrible ruler of the lake people was Ballanders. Took me way too long to put two and two together about the destroyed castle.

Booklord Challenge
1) Vanilla Number: 17/52
2) Something written by a woman: Humber Boy B (Ruth Dugdale)
4) Something written in the 1800s: Persuasion (Jane Austen)
8) A work of Science Fiction: Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury)
9) Something written by a musician: Wonders of Life (Brian Cox and Andrew Cohen)
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages: The Lions of Al-Rassen (Guy Gavriel Kay)
13) Read Something YA: Only Ever Yours (Louise O'Neill)
16) That one book you’ve wanted to read for a while now: At Swim Two Birds (Flann O'Brien)
17) The First book in a series: The Shadow of the Torturer (Gene Wolfe)
21) A Short Story collection: Ward Six and Other Stories (Anton Chekhov)
22) It’s a Mystery. The Name of the Rose (Umberto Eco)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
April~

28. My Brilliant Friend (Neapolitan Novels #1) - Elena Ferrante
29. Mad Ship (Liveship Traders #2) - Robin Hobb
30. The Rum Diary - Hunter S. Thompson
31. The Story of a New Name (Neapolitan Novels #2) - Elena Ferrante
32. Ubik - Philip K. Dick
33. Those Who Leave and Those Who Stay (Neapolitan Novels #3) - Elena Ferrante
34. The Sellout - Paul Beatty
35. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - J.K. Rowling

Rather than recapping each book (since many of them are parts of series that I'm still wrapping up) I'll just go with a general update. The Elena Ferrante novels are tremendously addictive, and very good, even if I can't articulate why I'm loving this story of a female friendship over decades in Italy. The Liveship Traders books are fun pirate novels with a fantasy twist, which I read a while back but decided to revisit in order to move on to Hobb's Tawny Man trilogy. The Sellout was a hilariously dark book about race in America, filled with moments of "holy poo poo, did he actually say that?!" Ubik was likely the best book of the month, a surreal science fiction novel about psychics, time manipulation, and what awaits us after death - I know there have been plenty of science fiction stories more or less directly inspired by this one. Finally, The Rum Diary was not quite what I expected from Thompson; it felt like his attempt to rewrite The Sun Also Rises, in Puerto Rico instead of Spain.

1) Vanilla Number (35/52)
2) Something written by a woman (Hobb, Rowling, Ferrante)
3) Something Written by a nonwhite author (Beatty)
4) Something written in the 1800s
5) Something History Related
6) A book about or narrated by an animal
7) A collection of essays
8) A work of Science Fiction - Ubik
9) Something written by a musician
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages - Order of the Phoenix, Mad Ship
11) Read something about or set in NYC
12) Read Airplane fiction (Patterson, ect)
13) Read Something YA
14) Wildcard!
15) Something recently published
16) That one book you’ve wanted to read for a while now
17) The First book in a series: My Brilliant Friend
18) A biography or autobiography
19) Read something from the lost generation (Fitzgerald, Hemmingway, ect.) or from the Beat Generation
20) Read a banned book
21) A Short Story collection
22) It’s a Mystery.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Gertrude Perkins posted:

1 - Daft Wee Stories, by Limmy (Brian Limond)
2 - I Kill Giants, by Joe Kelly and JM Ken Niimura
3 - Kill Your Boyfriend, by Grant Morrison, Philip Bond, D'Israeli and Daniel Vozzo
4 - Supervillainz, by Alicia E. Goranson
5 - AM/PM, by Amelia Gray
6 - One Hundred Years Of Solitude, by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez
7 - Wolf In White Van, by John Darnielle
8 - New World: An Anthology of Sci-Fi and Fantasy, edited by C. Spike Trotman
9 - The Gondola Scam, by Jonathan Gash
10 - Bad Feminist, by Roxane Gay
11 - Dept. Of Speculation, by Jenny Offill
12 - The Great Zoo of China, by MATTHEW REILLY
13 - Empire of the Senseless, by Kathy Acker
14 - Terrible Old Games You've Probably Never Heard Of, by Stuart Ashen
15 - Oryx and Crake, by Margaret Atwood
16 - High-Rise, by JG Ballard

I read six books in April:

17 - I Love Dick, by Chris Kraus. A fictional tale about Kraus lusting after and possibly having a love affair with the titular Dick, it blends reality and fantasy so much that it's difficult to see the seams, if indeed there are any. Despite the first half being a little shaky, it really picked up for me toward the end, and I learned a lot!

18 - Ghost House, by Hannah Faith Notess. A short collection of poetry, about nostalgia, longing, videogames and hope. It made me feel a lot of things, and I'm grateful.

19 - Pig Tales, by Marie Darrieussecq. This was a really pleasant surprise! What looks on the surface like trashy transformation erotica (it's about a woman who turns into a pig) is a surprisingly deep, funny and interesting story. Written in the mid-90s, it's told from the point of view of a masseuse-turned-sex-worker as she changes, along with Paris around her. Societal collapse, political strife, cannibalism, and a millennial cult all feature at one point or another, as well as the grisly body-horror of the protagonist's transformation. Worth checking out!

20 & 21 - The Midas Flesh, vol. 1 & 2, by Ryan North, Branden Lamb, Shelli Paroline, Steve Wands. A rad and colourful SF comic about a trio of scavengers whose spaceship finds a desolate Earth transformed completely into gold by the legendary King Midas. However, they're not the only ones after the king's remains, and they come up against the forces of an oppressive Galactic Federation. It's fun pulpy science fiction with a neat premise, and Ryan North is a pretty good writer! The second half of the story is bigger, more risky, and comes close to feeling a little rushed. But the final encounter, and the ending itself, are very satisfying. Good stuff.

22 - Slow Bullets, by Alastair Reynolds. The latest work by my favourite SF author. It's a "novella", though in this case it just means "200 pages instead of Reynolds's usual 500+". It's still a good, full story, with a starker and more desolate setting than I had expected from the opening scene. It's claustrophobic, and has the feel of a classic high-concept science fiction story, centred around the problem of how to go about rebuilding a civilisation. It's not my favourite of his, but less-good Alastair Reynolds is still better than a lot of things.

Full reviews up on my GoodReads, as always.

BOOKLORD progress:

1) 52+ books - 22
2) At least 40% (21) by a woman - 10 - Supervillainz, AM/PM, New World, Bad Feminist, Dept. Of Speculation, Empire Of The Senseless, Oryx & Crake, I Love Dick, Ghost House, Pig Tales
3) Something Written by a nonwhite author - 3 - One Hundred Years Of Solitude; New World; Bad Feminist
4) Something written in the 1800s -
5) Something History Related - One Hundred Years Of Solitude
6) A book about or narrated by an animal - Pig Tales
7) A collection of essays. - Bad Feminist
8) A work of Science Fiction - New World, Oryx & Crake, Midas Flesh, Slow Bullets
9) Something written by a musician - Wolf In White Van
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages - The Great Zoo Of China
11) Read something about or set in NYC - Dept. Of Speculation
12) Read Airplane fiction - The Great Zoo Of China
13) Read Something YA -
14) Wildcard! (City of Stairs)
15) Something recently published - New World, Terrible Old Games, Midas Flesh vol 2
16) That one book you’ve wanted to read for a while now. - High-Rise
17) The First book in a series - Oryx & Crake
18) A biography or autobiography -
19) Read something from the lost generation (Fitzgerald, Hemmingway, etc.) or from the Beat Generation -
20) Read a banned book -
21) A Short Story collection - Daft Wee Stories, AM/PM, New World
22) It’s a Mystery. -

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

April

18. The Complete Stories by Flannery O'Connor. Good poo poo. She writes the most grotesque (believable) characters in all literature, I assume. Some of these characters I hated so much, lol.

19. Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan. A sci fi book about ppls consciousness being stored in computers and uploaded into other bodies, which is a cool idea. The book is not good, despite having the 1 cool idea. I'd recommend that this book not be read.

20. The Selected Stories of O. Henry by O. Henry, duh lol. In the early 1900's, O. Henry was the worlds most famous short story author in the English Language. Now nobody really cares about him, which is fine, really, because all his stories are based around the twist, and read like an extremely hip 1900's man, which is anathema to real literature, this tryhard style which he affects. It feels rly pathetic in AD 2016.

21. The Arabian Nights translated by Hussain Haddaway. This was cool. It's apparently the most accurate translation of the Nights, which doesn't really matter that much to me, honestly. Borges really loved the Richard Burton translation, which like added a bunch of apocryphal stories and used a pseudo victorian style. What matters is the content, and how artistic and cool it is, not the authenticity, but this was still good. Maybe in a few years I'll read the Burton translation.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Slow reading month with only four books, but in my defense I was extremely busy this month. My descriptions are a bit subpar as well, as instead of writing them immediately after reading as I usually do, these descriptions were all written today. Total of 1925 pages read for an average of 64 pages/day and 77 pages/day YTD.

1) Vanilla Number:
2) Something written by a woman - The Handmaids Tale
3) Something Written by a nonwhite author - Thousand Splendid Suns
4) Something written in the 1800s - Wuthering Heights
5) Something History Related (fictional or non-fiction your choice) - A Travelers history of Southeast Asia
7) A collection of essays. - Alien Hand Syndrome
8) A work of Science Fiction - Player of Games
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages - Gone with the Wind
13) Read Something YA - Guards, Guards, Guards!
14) Wildcard!
15) Something recently published (up to a year. The year will be the day you start this challenge) - Stress Test
16) That one book you’ve wanted to read for a while now. - The Odyssey
17) The First book in a series - Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
19) Read something from the lost generation (Fitzgerald, Hemmingway, ect.) or from the Beat Generation
20) Read a banned book
22) It’s a Mystery.

Wuthering Heights - 3/5 - I only read this because I had heard of it a million times and it was free on project gutenberg, but honestly it was pretty good. The book shows it's age without a doubt, being 150 years old, but on the other hand it was still an interesting look into conflict and how it effects people. The language is dated and makes it a little slower read than would be otherwise, but the novel is written beautifully and is abosultely heartwrenching. Heathcliffe is legitimately a terrifying villian on par with anything written or put on fim since, and it's horrifying and fasicating to watch him slowly tear these families apart.

The Wright Brothers - 3/5 - David McCulloughs history of the brothers who built the first airplane. Definitely an interesting read; I definitely learned a lot about the history of air travel that I had no idea. The definition of a good but not incredible history. I've only read John Adams by McCullough and was hoping this would match up with that, but I think the limited scope of the book and lack of significant primary source citing makes the book less fascinating than it could otherwise be.

The Goldfinch - 5/5 - Legimitately one of the best books I've read in a very long time. The entire way through the novel it was constantly in my brain, whether I was reading it or not. The book follows Theo, a boy who's mother dies when he's young, through his growing up. A simple premise but beautifully written and with a great cast of characters (Boris is one of my favorite characters in any book). I've heard mixed reviews of the ending, but I thought it was incredible, tying everything together and giving a solid sense of closure. I would highly recommend this book.

Vietnam: The Ten Thousand Day War - 3/5 - Another interesting but non-descript historical novel. I liked it and learned a lot about the Vietnam war and the country, but it wasn't thrilling or mindblowing. This book was mostly interesting for me because I read it while I was Vietnam, giving another level of connection that wouldn't otherwise be there. If you're interested in Vietnam's 20th century woes check this out, but it's not a must read.

Prolonged Shame
Sep 5, 2004

Prolonged Shame posted:

1) The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion - Fannie Flagg
2) Book of a Thousand Days - Shannon Hale
3) Outlander - Diana Gabaldon
4) Agnes Grey - Anne Brontë
5) The Corinthian - Georgette Heyer
6) Definitely Dead (Sookie Stackhouse #6) - Charlaine Harris
7) Redeemer: The Life of Jimmy Carter - Randall Balmer
8) The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up - Marie Kondo
9) Three-Ten to Yuma and Other Stories - Elmore Leonard
10) The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer - Siddhartha Mukherjee
11) The Talented Mr. Ripley - Patricia Highsmith
12) Euphoria - Lily King
13) All Together Dead (Sookie Stackhouse #7) - Charlaine Harris
14) From Dead to Worse (Sookie Stackhouse #8) - Charlaine Harris
15) The Angel of Darkness - Caleb Carr
16) Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal - Mary Roach
17) The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants - Anne Brashares
18) M Train - Patti Smith
19) Hope: A Memoir of Survival in Cleveland - Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus
20) The Barbary Pirates (Ethan Gage #4) - William Dietrich
21) Victory of Eagles (Temeraire #5) - Naomi Novik
22) Beacon 23 - Hugh Howey
23) In the Night Garden - Catherynne M. Valente
24) Julie and Julia - Julie Powell
25) Keeping the House - Ellen Baker
26) Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up - Marie Kondo
27) The Left Hand of Darkness - Ursula K. Le Guin
28) My Man Jeeves - P.G. Wodehouse
29) No Country for Old Men - Cormac McCarthy
30) The Girl on the Train - Paula Hawkins
31) President Reagan - The Role of a Lifetime - Lou Cannon
32) Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse #9) - Charlaine Harris
33) 41: A Portrait of My Father - George W. Bush
34) One of Us: Anders Breivik and the Massacre in Norway - Asne Seierstad

I did not complete much reading in April:

35) Tongues of Serpents (Temeraire #6) - Naomi Novik: Once we got through the interminable journeying, this book started getting interesting. Unfortunately, it was 2/3 of the way done at that point.
36) The Post-Office Girl - Stefan Zwieg: The story of a poor civil servant who is swept up for a week of high living with her rich aunt before being dumped unceremoniously back into her dreary life, which she now finds intolerable, having seen how the other half lives. This was great, and though the ending was somewhat controversial, I loved it.
37) Tender is the Night - F. Scott Fitzgerald: I love Gatsby, but this didn't quite do it for me in the same way. I think reading it concurrently with The Post Office Girl was detrimental as they address a lot of the same themes, but this one is a lot more dated despite being roughly contemporaneous.
38) The Confusions of Young Torless - Robert Musil: My wildcard. Calling it prophetic of the rise of Nazi-ism as all the reviews do seems like a bit of a reach, but it is a creepy insight into the mind of a troubled boy in an Austrian boarding school. Not something I would have picked up myself, but I enjoyed it, so thanks booklord challenge!

Subchallenges!

A-Z challenge::
A: The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion
B: Book of a Thousand Days
C: The Corinthian
D: Definitely Dead
E: Euphoria
F: From Dead to Worse
G: Gulp
H: Hope
I: In the Night Garden
J: Julie and Julia
K: Keeping the House
L: The Left Hand of Darkness
M: My Man Jeeves
N: No Country for Old Men
O: One of Us
P: The Post Office Girl

Booklord:
Written by a woman: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
Written by a non-white author: Emperor of All Maladies
Written in the 1800's: Agnes Grey
Science fiction book: Beacon 23
Written by a musician: M Train
Book over 500 pages: Keeping the House
Book about/set in NYC: The Angel of Darkness
Young adult book: Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
Wildcard: The Confusions of Young Torless
Published in the last year: Hope
Book you've wanted to read for a while: The Left Hand of Darkness
First book in a series: Outlander
Biography or autobiography: Redeemer: The Life of Jimmy Carter
Written by lost or beat generation author: Tender is the Night
Short stories: Three-Ten to Yuma and other Stories
Mystery book: The Girl on the Train

Overall:
Total: 38/100
A-Z Challenge: 16/26
Booklord Challenge: 16/22
Presidential Biographies: 3/6

Hopefully May will be more productive.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Combined march/april update:

Several books on history:

Carthage Must Be Destroyed: The Rise and Fall of an Ancient Civilization by Richard Miles - Interesting account of the culture of the Carthaginians and their long struggle with Rome.

The Lost History of Christianity by Philip Jenkins - About the mostly extinct Christian history of the Middle East and Central Asia. A decent overview of the subject, but not very much detail.

Ghost on the Throne: The Death of Alexander the Great and the War for Crown and Empire by James Romm - Fairly detailed treatment of the power struggles between Alexander's generals. Worthwhile for those with an interest in the subject.

Den sorte tråden: Europeisk høyreradikalisme fra 1920 til i dag ("The Black Thread: European right-wing radicalism from 1920 until today") by Øyvind Strømmen - Pretty much exactly what the title says: freelance journalist Strømmen gives us an overview from right-wing radicalism in the past century. Certainly interesting, but the broad overview leaves little room for detailed analysis of their political impact.

Other:

The dead girls by Jorge Ibargüengoitia - This black comedy features a group of women running a brothel in the Mexican countryside suffer various injustices and kill several people in revenge. The novel recounts their various backstories and is clearly intended to mock the excesses of Mexican society.

L'Arabe du futur 2 : Une jeunesse au Moyen-Orient (1984-1985) by Riad Sattouf - Part 2 of the autobiographical comic. Considerably more violence in this, with regular beatings in school, blasting sparrows to bits with shotguns and an honour killing in the extended family.

Yes by Thomas Bernhard - A scientist preoccupied with thoughts of suicide meets a Persian woman with similar ideas. Their mutual encounter inspires the scientist to grow attached to living once again, but makes her go through with her plans.

Žižek's Jokes: Did You Hear the One about Hegel and Negation? by Slavoj Žižek - Compilation of jokes extracted from Žižek. Deprived of their original context, it is very difficult to discern what the original point of them was, and the result is simply strange.

The Kreutzer Sonata by Leo Tolstoy - Man murders his wife out of jealous rage and acts as a mouthpiece for Tolstoy's personal views. Essentially, relations between the sexes will always be poisoned by base emotions, so one should stay chaste.

Booklord challenge:

1) Vanilla Number 16/40
2) Something written by a woman Woman at point Zero
3) Something Written by a nonwhite author Woman at point Zero
4) Something written in the 1800s The Kreutzer Sonata
5) Something History Related The Great Big Book of Horrible Things + 4 others
7) A collection of essays Why I am not a Christian
18) A biography or autobiography The Arab of the Future Part 1 & 2
21) A Short Story collection For the Good of the Cause

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Ben Nevis posted:

Previously Read:
1. My Dead Body by Charlie Huston.
2. Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry.
3. Made in America, An informal history of the English Language in the US by Bill Bryson.
4. Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson
5. Ru by Kim Thuy
6. The Stars my Destination by Alfred Bester
7. Only the Animals by Ceridwen Dovey
8. The Language of Food, A Linguist Reads the Menu by Dan Jurafsky
9. Paris Nocturne by Patrick Modiano
10. Last First Snow by Max Gladstone
11. Brief Encounters with Che Guevara
12. A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny
13. Anno Dracula by Kim Newman
14. Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome
15. Carter and Lovecraft by Jonathan L Howard
16. Binti] by Nnedi Okorafor
17. Claws of the Cat by Susan Spann
18. Stray Souls by Kate Griffin
19. Version Control by Dexter Palmer

I read 8 this month, aided in part by days with a network outage at work and being laid up for a few days with a stomach bug. Not a bad month of reading

20. Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff - In Jim Crow America, young black veteran becomes the target of an ancient and secret cult because he's a blood relative of the founder. His whole family gets caught up in a tale of Lovecraftian haunted houses, evil books, curses, and spooky aliens, as well as redlining, sundown towns, and racist sheriffs.
21. Girl Waits with Gun by Amy Stewart - A novelization of the true story of one of America's first female deputy sheriff's. After the Kopp sisters' buggy is wrecked by a reckless driver, the oldest sister, Constance seeks money for repair. When her pleas for remuneration are met with harassment, she goes undercover to catch the dastard. The details of the story are drawn from newspapers, police reports, and letters of the day. There's one story line with no basis in fact and the epilogue does clarify some of that. Written by a woman.
22. The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle - This is a novella rewriting Lovecraft's Horror at Red Hook with the protagonist being a con man from Harlem. I liked this a lot, a great spin on Lovecraft. A nonwhite Author.
23. The Watchmaker of Filigree Street by Natasha Pulley - I wasn't sure what I was getting into here. I was imagining a clever clockwork world of some sort, and it does have some of that aspect. Mostly, this is the story of a relationship between a young man working with British intelligence and an exceedingly clever watchmaker who may or may not have ties to Irish bombers.This was unexpected but good. Written by a woman.
24. The Decagon House Murders by Yukito Ayatsuji - While the English translation is recent, this is an older mystery novel that apparently spurred a renaissance in Japanese mysteries, moving them back towards a classic style. This is intended to be very much a classic locked room type mystery where you gather your clues and figure out whodunnit. 7 Students in a mystery club go to spend a week at the Decagon House, the home of a rich eccentric architect who died in a murder/suicide affair. That seems plenty morbid to me, but then the students start being killed on at a time. Can you pick who the killer is? A nonwhite author.
25. The Girl with the Ghost Eyes by MH Boroson - Set in 19th century Sacramento Chinatown it follows a young widow who is a Daoist exorcist. Old ways struggle against assimilation when it looks like an evil magician is going to raise a horror from ancient legend to lay waste to a rival tong. This was a bit cheesy in some regards, but it's a unique setting and I thought an interesting twist on your usual ghost stories. In some ways reminded me of Archivist Wasp. Supposed to be the first in the series, I'll probably read the next as well.
26. The Soul of an Octopus by Sy Montgomery - This details Montgomery's experiences getting to know the octopuses at an aquarium. There's a lot (though not as much as you'd expect) about octopodes here. There are also a lot of reflections on the nature of consciousness, and how that might apply to octopus. This was an fascinating book, though I thought there were some leaps in the consciousness and octopus assumptions. I read it because I was interested in octopus, and enjoyed it. Written by a woman
27. Crooked by Austin Grossman - What if Richard Nixon was not our worst president? What if, instead, he was the last president to fully grasp the powers granted by the Constitution and use them to protect America from the escalating occult attacks being pursued by the Russians during the Cold War? I found this premise to be interesting and amusing. Despite the way the blurb is stated, this primarily focuses on Nixon's rise as a congressman and as Eisenhower's VP. The presidential portion could have used some more focus, but I really enjoyed this.

Currently reading, but not done yet, A Spy Among Friends: Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal.

1) Vanilla Number 27/45
2) Something written by a woman - Ru, Only the Animals, Stray Souls, Claws of the Cat, Binti, Girl waits with Gun, Soul of an Octopus, Watchmaker of Filigree St.
3) Something Written by a nonwhite author - Ru, Binti, Version Control, The Ballad of Black Tom, The Decagon House Murders.
4) Something written in the 1800s - Three Men in a Boat
5) Something History Related (fictional or non-fiction your choice)- Girl Waits with Gun
6) A book about or narrated by an animal - Only the Animals, A Night in the Lonesome October
7) A collection of essays.
8) A work of Science Fiction - The Stars my Destination, Binti, Version Control
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages - Lonesome Dove, Version Control
11) Read something about or set in NYC - My Dead Body
13) Read Something YA
14) Wildcard!
15) Something recently published - Only the Animals, Paris Nocturne, Last First Snow, Brief Encounters with Che Guevara, Lovecraft & Carter, Binti, Version Control, Lovecraft Country, Girl Waits with Gun, The Soul of an Octopus, The Girl with the Ghost Eyes, Watchmaker of Filigree St.
16) That one book you’ve wanted to read for a while now - Lonesome Dove, The Stars My Destination
17) The First book in a series - Claws of the Cat, Anno Dracula, Stray Souls, Girl with the Ghost Eyes, Girl Waits with Gun
19) Read something from the lost generation (Fitzgerald, Hemmingway, ect.) or from the Beat Genneration
20) Read a banned book
21) A Short Story collection - Only the Animals, Brief Encounters with Che Guevara
22) It’s a Mystery - Claws of the Cat, Carter & Lovecraft, Decagon House Murders

McClanahan
May 29, 2009
8) How to Win Friends & Influence People, Dale Carnegie

I'd seen this recommended many times, but for some reason assumed it was about deceit and manipulation. Instead it's filled with rules and examples of things that normal good-natured extroverts probably do naturally. As a grouchy, overly critical, goony, and awkward wallflower I think I got a lot of value from reading this.

9) A Fine and Pleasant Misery, Patrick F. McManus (BLC# 21, Short stories)

Pat McManus books were one of the few sources of entertainment available on rainy days at my Grandpa's cabin in the summers of my youth. I don't know if the humor translates for someone that can't relate to an outdoorsy life, but I remain a huge fan even though it's been nearly 15 years since I've even seen a tent. This book includes some of his best, including the two types of cows that haunt trout streams (Fast Mean Cows and Slow Mean Cows) and the first story about his aggressively useless dog Strange.

10) Kerplunk!, Patrick F. McManus

A book collecting more recent McManus short stories. Stick to the older ones unless you're a completionist. A couple funny stories but mostly just OK.

11) The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde (BLC# 4, 1800s)

Started but never finished this one many years ago, I loved this book this time through. Not much I can say about it that already hasn't been said repeatedly over the last century. Wish there were more Oscar Wilde novels to read.

12) The Man with a Load of Mischief, Martha Grimes (BLC# 22, Mystery)

Haven't read much in the mystery genre outside some Sherlock Holmes. This was good though, a few interesting characters in an interesting Northamptonshire village. I didn't really solve the mystery ahead of the book, but when all was revealed everything sort of fell into place, which seems to me like it should be an important part of a mystery novel. I'd probably pick up the next book in the series if I spot it at my local used book shop.

13) Denying the Holocaust, Deborah Lipstadt (BLC# 2, Woman)

About the people and history of Holocaust denialism, revisionism, and relativism instead of a regular debunking. Sort of a famous book, Dr. Lipstadt was sued by one of the pseudo-historians profiled under the terrible English libel laws, which hold the burden of proof on the defendant. A team of crack lawyers and historian expert witnesses was successfully able to prove to a judge that the plantiff was, in fact, a racist Hitler lover that distorted evidence and falsified statistics to fit "his neo-fascist political agenda."

13/40, BLC#s remaining: 3 6, 7, 8, 12, 15, 16, 17, 18, 29, 20

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Previously read:
1. Exoskeleton by Shane Stadler
2. The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien
3. The Serpent by Claire North
4. Dear Mr Kershaw: A Pensioner Writes by Derek Philpott
5. Bossypants] by Tina Fey
6. House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
7. The Books of Magic] by Neil Gaiman
8. The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle #1) by Maggie Steifvater
9. The Dream Thieves (Raven Cycle #2) by Maggie Steifvater
10. Blue Lily, Lily Blue (Raven Cycle #3) by Maggie Steifvater
11. Modern Romance] by Aziz Anzari
12. Legend by Marie Lu
13. Sabriel by Garth Nix
14. Three men on a boat by Jerome K Jerome
15. Thus Spake Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche
16. Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

April update

Very slow month for some reason, I could have sworn I read more than three books but apparently not!

17. Touched by an Angel by Jonathan Morris: A Doctor Who series book that I picked up - I'm a bit of a DW nerd and this was a pretty enjoyable and very quick read.

18. River of Ink by Paul M M Cooper: This was actually recommended by my sister who knows the guy somehow, plus it's new so fitted into a challenge category. It was definitely worth the punt, a beautifully written and engaging book although it took me a little while to get into the style.

19. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling: Fun and frivolous anecdotes about her life, passed the time nicely.

Booklord Challenge Progress
1) Vanilla Number - 19/35
2) Something written by a woman - The Serpent
3) Something Written by a nonwhite author - Modern Romance
4) Something written in the 1800s - Thus Spake Zarathustra
5) Something History Related (fictional or non-fiction your choice)
8) A work of Science Fiction - Touched by an Angel
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages - House of Leaves
13) Read Something YA - Legends
14) Wildcard!
15) Something recently published - River of Ink
16) That one book you’ve wanted to read for a while now.
17) The First book in a series - The Raven Boys
18) A biography or autobiography - Bossypants
19) Read something from the lost generation (Fitzgerald, Hemmingway, ect.) or from the Beat Genneration
20) Read a banned book
22) It’s a Mystery.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

quote:

1. Modern Romance A. Ansari
2. The Broom of the System D.F. Wallace
3. The Sirens of Titan K. Vonnegut
4. Blood Meridian C. McCarthy
5. Nine Stories J.D. Salinger
6. Vineland T. Pynchon
7. Bird by Bird A. Lamott
8. Punk Rock Jesus S. G. Murphy
9. A Prayer for Owen Meany J. Irving

10. Prisons We Choose To Live Inside by Doris Lessing
Five short essays on changing the world by taking pride in education and knowledge, questioning the world around you and being the best person you can be, despite everything being against you. I feel like every high school student should read this before graduating.

11. Exterminator! by William S. Burroughs
Loosely connected short stories that create a tapestry of insanity. I enjoyed the internal logic of the prose and the experimental style, but it started to wear out by the end. Not what you want from a book only 200 pages. This book is that weird drugged out guy you met and thought was pretty cool, but the more you hung out with him, you realized he was too weird from his insanity to continue the friendship.
(This book became my "Read Out Loud" book, because it's lack of punctuation creates an interesting flow of words to try and communicate verbally.)

12. Room by Emma Donoghue
Well written and interesting. Surprisingly dark story for it's popularity. Starts to drag in the second half. It's one of those book that's fun while I'm reading it, but I am aware I will never read again after I've finished it. This book was chosen for my book club, and then we watched the movie, which is an interesting companion piece. The movie explores ideas not presented in the book, but deserve attention. The soundtrack is problematic at times, because it clashes with the tone presented in the book. Both were good.

13. The Man Who Was Thursday by G. K. Chesterton
I love books with unusual detectives, and I used to love stories of spies growing up. This book is a fantastic, dream-like story of silly twists. I was surprised by how witty and funny this book was for being written in 1908. I see a lot of influence on my favorite writers in this story. Highly recommended and I will definitely read again.

14. The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling
Another surprising read. I feel like many "classics" that have gone through the Disney treatment don't live up to expectation. I loved the Mowgli stories, Ricki-Tikki-Tavi, and the various poems. I was surprised by how dark this book gets. The White Seal is a tale of a Christ-figure or Moses-figure; animals discuss the trivialities of mankind's penchant for bloodshed; a child defies expectation and witnesses a miracle. Fun read.

Book Riot READ HARDER CHALLENGE posted:

Horror
Non-Fiction Science
Essays
Read Out Loud Exterminator!
Middle Grade Novel
Biography
Dystopian/Apocalypse
Published In The 90's Vineland
Audie
500+ Pages A Prayer for Owen Meany
Under 100 Pages Prisons We Choose To Live Inside
Written by/about a Person Who Identifies as Transgender
Set in Middle East
Author from Southeast Asia
Historical Fiction Set Before 1900s
"Author of Color"
Non-Superhero Comic Punk Rock Jesus
Book that has been Adapted into a Movie Room
Feminism (non-fiction)
Religion
Politics
Food Memoir
Play
Mental Illness
TOTAL: 6/24

Non-Fiction: 3/10
Year Goal: 14/52

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

thespaceinvader posted:

1: Chimera by Mira Grant
2: The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson
3: City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett
4: Maximum Ice by Kay Kenyon
5: Reclamation by Sarah Zettel
6: Shadows of Self by Brandon Sanderson
7: The Bands of Mourning by Brandon Sanderson
8: Mistborn: Secret History by Brandon Sanderson
9: City of Blades by Robert Jackson Bennett
10: The Science Magpie by Simon Flynn
11: Traitors by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
12: Hunt: An Urban Faery Tale by Leslie Claire Walker
13: The Magic Touch by Jodi Lynn Nye
14: Miles To Go by Laura Anne Gilman
15: Calamity by Brandon Sanderson
16: Half The World by Joe Abercrombie
17: Half a War by Joe Abercrombie
18: Hex in the City by Fiction River
19: The Providence of Fire by Brian Staveley
20: The Last Mortal Bond by Brian Staveley
21: Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire
The Last Mortal Bond was a fine conclusion to the trilogy. I enjoyed it a great deal. Can't say much more than that to be honest; it had a lot of imagination, but a few moments that felt like the could have been refined a little more; overall I was pleased with it.

Discount Armageddon begins a series which I will be continuing. It's a solid entry in the 'UF Monster Hunter' genre, with an interesting backstory and entertaining world-building. I don't think this is quite up to the standards of McGuire's work as Mira Grant, but nonetheless, enjoyable enough for me to finish in less than 48 hours, and to pick up the next two books. Would have been the next 3, but the UK Kobo store doesn't have the last one yet. Kobo :arghfist:

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 11:55 on May 8, 2016

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Someone recommend me an airplane fiction! I'm not sure what falls into that category, and Google is unhelpful unless I want to read books about airplanes.

Booklord Challenge Update posted:

Count: 40/96 books, 4 nonfiction (10%), 1 reread (3%)
Complete: 2, 3, 5, 8, 10, 11, 13, 15-17, 21
New: (16) that one book you've wanted to read for a while now: Traitor Baru
Deduplicated: (10) something long: The Codebreakers

32. The Codebreakers by David Kahn

A lot of text is spent on the history of cryptography, back to ~2kBC Egypt, and its discussion of modern crypto focuses heavily on American efforts during WW1 and WW2, in contrast to most other books on crypto/sigint I've read, which focus more on the British side. That said, it shows its age; it predates the major declassifications of the 70s and 90s, so there are some huge (and, to a modern reader, glaring) gaps in the historical account, and it doesn't discuss modern (computerized, public-key) cryptosystems at all. Interesting, but hasn't aged well.

33. The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson

:suicide:

This book rarely surprised me; I could generally see where things were going well in advance. (From Seth's comments in the SF/F thread, this is deliberate.) This didn't make it hurt any less when I turned out to be right, though. I want to shake the author's hand in congratulations and then firebomb his house.

34. The Goblin Emperor by Sarah Monette (as Katherine Addison)

The perfect read after Traitor Baru. It's just a very mellow, relaxing book and is wonderfully relaxing. Not a lot happens, but that's ok sometimes!

35. Command and Control by Eric Schlosser

It's a loving miracle that no-one's set off a nuke by accident. :stonk:

36. The Risen Empire by Scott Westerfeld
37. The Killing of Worlds by Scott Westerfeld

Some solid, crunchy space opera. Westerfeld is a terrible tease, though. You hear about The Imperial Secret right at the start of the book; the protagonists don't learn what it is until most of the way through the second one, and the reader has to wait until the very end!

38. Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone
39. Two Serpents Rise by Max Gladstone

Do you like mage-lawyers, offshore tax havens powered by prayer, and dead gods defined by the contracts they've made? This feels a lot like "urban fantasy", but the setting isn't the usual modern-day-Earth-but-with-magic; it's an alternate earth where the surviving gods live in an uneasy truce with the lich-kings who supplanted them, where intricate webs of contracts bind both, money is quite literally power, and corporate mergers require not just forms signed in triplicate but magical rituals.

The fifth and final book isn't out yet, but the books all stand on their own, so I'm not worried about getting an early start on this.

40. A History of Epic Fantasy by Adam Whitehead

This actually helped me put a lot of books I'd read in historical perspective; things like Memory, Sorrow and Thorn are more impressive when you realize they were written around 1990 (and not in 2008, when they were reprinted and I read them). I also got a bunch of new book recommendations out of it.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
I was in a funk last month and didn't do much reading except for my wildcard unfortunately.

April:
Angels in America: A Gay Fantasia on National Themes - Man it has been a loooooong time since I've read a play. I liked it for the most part, I think what I appreciated about it most was how it got across the emotions of being gay during that time period. The depictions of people struggling with HIV honestly terrified me.

Booklord Challenge
1) 22/60
2) Something written by a woman - Go Set A Watchman
3) Something Written by a nonwhite author - Spelunky
4) Something written in the 1800s - The Brothers Karamazov
5) Something History Related (fictional or non-fiction your choice) - Samurai!
6) A book about or narrated by an animal - The Art of Racing in the Rain
7) A collection of essays. - Look Evelyn, Duck Dynasty Wiper Blades. We Should Get Them.: A Collection of New Essays
8) A work of Science Fiction - Robot Dreams
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages - The Brothers Karamazov
11) Read something about or set in NYC - Tom Clancy's The Division: New York Collapse
13) Read Something YA
14) Wildcard! - Angels in America: A Gay Fantasia on National Themes - Tony Kushner
15) Something recently published (up to a year. The year will be the day you start this challenge) - Empires of Eve: A History of the Great Empires of Eve Online
17) The First book in a series - Wool
20) Read a banned book
21) A Short Story collection - About Time: 12 Short Stories
22) It’s a Mystery. - Murder on the Orient Express

Chekans 3 16 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 12, 2016

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Corrode posted:

If you haven't already, read The Dark Room by Rachel Seiffert for your wildcard. I think I wildcarded this to someone last year and don't recall whether they read it or not, so let's throw it in again!

Dark Room and Revenge were both excellent, thanks a bunch for those recs. Still haven't read the animal one but likely will order it from the library.

I'm approaching this the opposite way that I did last year, where I looked at the challenge list and carefully considered what to read for each challenge. This year I have just been reading a bunch and using the challenge list as kind of a barometer for how varied my own reading is. Here's what I got so far:

1) Vanilla Number - as many as I can get through, up to 22 so far
2) Something written by a woman - all of them lol
3) Something Written by a nonwhite author - several authors: Jesmyn Ward, Mindy Kailing, Banana Yoshimito, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Isabella Wilkerson, Yoko Ogawa
5) Something History Related (fictional or non-fiction your choice) - The Warmth of Other Suns by Wilkerson, Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel, probably others technically
8) A work of Science Fiction - The Heart Goes Lase: A Novel by Margaret Atwood, Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages - Wolf Hall and Warmth of Other Suns again
13) Read Something YA - The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
14) Wildcard! - The Dark Room by Rachel Seiffert
15) Something recently published (up to a year. The year will be the day you start this challenge)
17) The First book in a series
20) Read a banned book
21) A Short Story collection - several: Revenge: Eleven Dark Tales by Yoko Ogawa, The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories by Susanna Clarke,
22) It’s a Mystery - The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

22: Midnight Blue Light Special by Seanan McGuire
23: Half Off Ragnarok by Seanan McGuire

This is a solid, fun series. Short, punchy books with little waiting around, each one takes me about 4 hours, max, to get through. And they're pretty predictable - especially the last, when I pegged pretty much immediately after the first corpse showed, who dunnit - it's the only names character who isn't the protag's friend. But that didn't really... matter. It was still great run.

Hantama
Dec 6, 2008
March & April & First Half of May
Kind of bogged down, my Goodreads says I´m reading 7 books right now. Really need to stop that.

10. China Mieville – The Scar
I liked The Scar a lot more than Perdido Street Station which I read last year. While PDS had bored me at times The Scar was interesting the whole time and opened up the world these books play in quite a bit. I like Mievilles interesting races and places and I think I won´t wait another year for the third book.
11. China Mieville – This Census Taker
I was already going to start the third one really but then this came out and it sounded good so I read this one instead. I guess I´ll have to reread this one sometime because while it was interesting it was also really nebulous about what really happened, maybe I´m just dumb though.
12. Kihara Hirokatsu – Shinmimibukuro Book 1
Shinmimibukuro is a book series featuring really short (mostly 2-3 pages) horror/strange stories that also spawned a DVD series based on those books. I liked the DVDs for the most part so I thought I´d try the book and….it sucks. There really isn´t anything interesting in here. It´s 99 stories and I am struggling to recall even one of them. They are also really badly written.
13. Kurt Vonnegut – Mother Night
I love Vonnegut, he´s one of my favorite authors to date and he has yet to disappoint me. Just really really good.
14. Friedrich Schiller – Die Räuber (The Robbers)
I wanted to read something older and I also wanted to read a play so I just grabbed this in the library. This is probably the oldest German thing I have ever read and I was surprised how readable it is even today. Enjoyed it and will read more of Schiller in the future
15. Stephen King – Cujo
I just really like Stephen King. I don´t know what it is exactly but I think it has to do with all these little details about every last character and place that comes up in his stories. I have never been anywhere near the US so I don´t know how much of it is real but with King it always feels like I´m getting a good view on small town New England life. Cujo was another one of those and even though the story premise seems kind of silly King just knows how to write it.

In other news: I have tried and abandoned Murakamis Norwegian Wood after about 150 pages because it was just bad. And I have started reading Infinite Jest which will probably take a lot of time to go through.
Books Read: 15/40 Booklord Challenges: 7/22 Books in Japanese: 3/10 Books in German: 3/5

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

1. Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko
2. American Sniper by Chris Kyle
3. The Long Way Down (Daniel Faust #1) by Craig Schaefer
4. Barrayar by Lois Bujold McMaster
5. The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins
6. On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers
7. Golden Son by Pierce Brown
8. The Vor Game by Lois Bujold McMaster
9. The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
10. Drysine Legacy by Joel Shepard
11. Morning Star by Pierce Brown
12. Gentlemen of the Road by Michael Chabon
13. CTRL ALT Revolt! by Nick Cole
14. Ethan of Athos by Lois Bujold McMaster
15. The Purge of Babylon by Sam Sisavath
16. The Tomb of Hercules by Andy McDermott
17. The Gates of Byzantium(Purge of Babylon #2) by Sam Sisavath
18. Yes Please by Amy Poehler
19. The Spirit War (Eli Monpress #4) by Rachel Aaron
20. King Leopold’s Ghost by Adam Hochschild
21. The Stones of Angkor(Purge of Babylon #3) by Sam Sisavath
22. The Walls of Lemur(Purge of Babylon #3.1) by Sam Sisavath
23. Borders of Infinity by Lois Bujold McMaster
24. Chains of Command by Marko Kloos
25. Spirit’s End (Eli Monpress #5) by Rachel Aaron
26. The Fields of Lemuria(Purge of Babylon #3.2) by Sam Sisavath
27. Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome
28. Snow Country by Yasunari Kawabata
29. The Fires of Atlantis(Purge of Babylon #4) by Sam Sisavath

April/May 2016
29/52 books read

I’m horrible at updating, but good progress on my goals.

King Leopold’s Ghost is as horrifying as it’s made out to be. I know it was a different time, but the brutality was just awful. I wish I had read it a few months earlier so I could have pulled stuff out of it for a lecture about Africa I gave my class earlier in the semester. It will be going into future lectures though.

Spirit’s End finishes off the Eli Monpress series. The story over the five books kept getting larger and larger in scope. Not as much thievery going on, but really solid storytelling with a satisfying ending. I wish other authors would stop extending their series to longer and longer length and keep a tighter focus and let the reader get an enjoyable reading experience.

Three Men in a Boat is the longest 184 page book I have ever read. It was enjoyable and had some humorous bits, but took me a very long time to get through.

Snow Country was recommended by my wife when I told her I wanted to read a Japanese author. It was well written and translated and generally easy to follow along and a pretty quick read. I had to look up a few words and in a couple spots the translation was a little awkward, but it did not take away from the story. Of the three Japanese authors I have read, I would say Yasunari Kawabata is my favorite right now.

quote:

1) Vanilla Number 29/52
2) Something written by a woman - Ethan of Athos by Lois Bujold McMaster
3) Something Written by a nonwhite author - Snow Country by Yasunari Kawabata
4) Something written in the 1800s - Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome
5) Something History Related (fictional or non-fiction your choice) - King Leopold’s Ghost
8) A work of Science Fiction - Golden Son by Pierce Brown
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages - Spirit’s End by Rachel Aaron
12) Read Airplane fiction (Patterson, ect) - The Tomb of Hercules (Eddie and Nina #2) by Andy McDermott
13) Read Something YA
14) Wildcard!
15) Something recently published (up to a year. The year will be the day you start this challenge) - The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins
16) That one book you’ve wanted to read for a while now - On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers
17) The First book in a series - The Long Way Down(Daniel Faust #1) by Craig Schaefer
18) A biography or autobiography - Yes Please by Amy Poehler
20) Read a banned book
22) It’s a Mystery.

ltr fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 22, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

22: Midnight Blue Light Special by Seanan McGuire
23: Half Off Ragnarok by Seanan McGuire
24-27: Frostborn omnibus by Jonathan Moeller

This was a book or books I picked up for free by spending my Kobo points. It showed - it was a touch formulaic, and a little repetitive, but... I enjoyed it. It was really let down though by a lack of proofreading/copy-editing. There were a LOT of spelling and grammar mistakes that should have been caught, which always disappoints me.

Nonetheless, enjoyable if clearly not yet a finished series.

Not sure what next. Need to find something though.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Guy A. Person posted:

Dark Room and Revenge were both excellent, thanks a bunch for those recs. Still haven't read the animal one but likely will order it from the library.

I'm glad you liked them! I love both of those books and Dark Room in particular I never see talked about, so I'm glad at least one other person has experienced it.

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

No, you are the magic man.

Hell Gem
I've read a bunch of my goal but keep forgetting to actually post and update my list. That's just terrible on my part.

Somebody wildcard me and I promise I'll sit down and write that poo poo out.

Hit me with your best shot. Your wildcard don''t scare me.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Sorry but if you dont post about it, it basically didn't happen. Wildcard War with the Newts by Karel Capek

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

Sorry but if you dont post about it, it basically didn't happen.

Yep, now you have to reread all those books Siminu. Don't mess up this time.

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

No, you are the magic man.

Hell Gem

Guy A. Person posted:

Yep, now you have to reread all those books Siminu. Don't mess up this time.

If I have to read The Partner again I'll burn this library to the goddamn ground.

Legit excited for the Newt war.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

1. Modern Romance A. Ansari
2. The Broom of the System D.F. Wallace
3. The Sirens of Titan K. Vonnegut
4. Blood Meridian C. McCarthy
5. Nine Stories J.D. Salinger
6. Vineland T. Pynchon
7. Bird by Bird A. Lamott
8. Punk Rock Jesus S. G. Murphy
9. A Prayer for Owen Meany J. Irving
10. Prisons We Choose To Live Inside by Doris Lessing
11. Exterminator! by William S. Burroughs
12. Room by Emma Donoghue
13. The Man Who Was Thursday by G. K. Chesterton
14. The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling

I took a trip to the library and got some spur-of-the-moment books and some graphic novels. Pretty productive month, even though I'm only counting a few of the graphic novels.

15. We3 by Grant Morrison

Someone challenged Grant Morrison to write a meaningful emotional story in only three issues, and he delivers a bleak, gore-filled tale of three innocent animals turned into super soldier murdering machines. An excellent example of the power in graphic story-telling.

16. Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart

A fantasy book that I actually enjoyed! Fully earns the term "whimsical" without irony. Fast paced, well-written and plotted, with great characters and actions. Fully earns its reputation. In fact, deserves more recognition, along with Discworld and The Princess Bride.

17. Sum: Forty Tales from the Afterlives by David Eagleman

A collection of short short stories written by a neuroscientist. The stories vary from one to three pages in length. Each story presents an idea of what that afterlife would be like. For instance, from the titular tale of 'Sum': in the afterlife, you experience your life again, but reorganized where similar events are grouped together and then experienced (30 years in a row of sleep, 4 months of just brushing your teeth, a week of making love, a year of sitting on the toilet, etc.). Another afterlife is made of of two Gods, a man and woman, who compete to create the world in their images. Many afterlives don't have a god at all. It reminds me of an Etgar Keret collection, except it is more for ideas and introspection than actual plots or characters. Got a little repetitive, but it barely exceeds 100 pages. If any of it interests you, I'd get this book.

18. Creative Tarot: A Modern Guide to an Inspiring Life by Jessa Crispin

I've been interested in studying Tarot since reading Gravity's Rainbow and studying how it influenced the characters, structures, and seeing that repeated in other Pynchon books (Vineland, for instance). Despite it's New Age name, Creative Tarot is all about how the tarot cards have been used by artists. It goes over a brief history of the cards, and it does include spreads, how to read cards, etc., but it approaches them not as mysticism or magick, but as stories, or as personal reflections. Each card is defined, the art is explored, various meanings that have been attributed. Each card also has a story attached, like how Salvador Dali was inspired by the tarot throughout his life, and eventually designed his own deck, or how Calvino designed stories based around Tarot spreads. Fun and interesting book!

Read Harder Challenge posted:

Horror
Non-Fiction Science
Essays
Read Out Loud Exterminator!
Middle Grade Novel
Biography
Dystopian/Apocalypse
Published In The 90's Vineland
Audie
500+ Pages A Prayer for Owen Meany
Under 100 Pages Prisons We Choose To Live Inside
Written by/about a Person Who Identifies as Transgender
Set in Middle East
Author from Southeast Asia
Historical Fiction Set Before 1900s
"Author of Color"
Non-Superhero Comic Punk Rock Jesus | We3
Book that has been Adapted into a Movie Room | The Jungle Book
Feminism (non-fiction)
Religion
Politics
Food Memoir
Play
Mental Illness
TOTAL: 6/24

Bonus Graphic Novels:
Scott Pilgrim #1
Captain America: Man out of Time
Superman Red Son

The Jungle Book movie vs. book: Decent adaptation of the cartoon, but not the book, though there are some jokes and easter eggs. The monkeys stealing Mowgli was straight from the book, but then Christopher Walken orangutan starts singing and poo poo gets weird.

Non-Fiction: 4/10
Year Goal: 18/52

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

January
  1. Arabian Nights: The Book of a Thousand Nights and a Night, Volume 1 translated by Sir Richard Burton
  2. Stasiland by Anna Funder
  3. The Arabian Nights, Volume 2 by Sir Richard Burton
  4. Recovering Apollo 8 by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
    February
  5. That's Not How You Wash Squirrels: A collection of new essays and emails by David Thorne
    March
  7. After the Funeral (Hercule Poirot #29) by Agatha Christie
  8. The Monarch of the Glen (American Gods #1.5) by Neil Gaiman
  9. Alternitech by Kevin J. Anderson
    April
  10. Ransom by David Malouf
  11. Terrible Old Games You've Probably Never Heard Of by Stuart Ashen
  12. Crucible (Crossfire #2) by Nancy Kress
  13. Macbeth by William Shakespeare
    May
  14. Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay
  15. Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth #1) by Terry Goodkind
  16. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
  17. Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth #2) by Terry Goodkind
  18. The Secret History of Science Fiction by James Patrick Kelly

Total: 18/52
Female authors: 5/24
Non-Fiction: 3/12
Arabian Nights: 2/10(16)

Looking back over my year so far, there's really only one book I'd even recommend to anyone, and I'm still behind on all my targets. I've got to start reading some better books.

I liked bits of Bad Feminist, I didn't like other bits. You might get more out of it than I did, or you might not. Who knows? The same basically goes for The Secret History of Science Fiction, except that it has The Nine Billion Names of God by Carter Scholz in it, and that's an excellent story.

Treasure Island reminded me of reading a play. I wouldn't recommend the book, but I'd go see it if they made a movie. I first tried reading it when I was a child, and I gave up on it that time. This time I finished it, but I still didn't much care for it.

Don't read Sword of Truth. If you want to know why, there's a let's read that will make it painfully clear.

See my Goodreads for full reviews.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Mr. Squishy posted:

1 The Ministery of Fear by Graham Greene. Another thriller where the most interesting thing is the setting, this time London under the blitz. I considered including him as part of the lost generation (born 5 years after Hemmingway) but gently caress it.
2 The Orchard Keeper by Cormac McCarthy. Keepin' it 'Carthy.
3 The Ipcress File by Len Deighton. I liked the film so much I decided to read the book. He goes abroad in this one, and gets a lot more snide remarks in. 17
4 The Candles of Your Eyes by James Purdy. Whole bunch of very short stories. Not as good as his other stuff, to my mind. Considered including him as a beat (same birth year as Burroughs) but gently caress it. 21
5 The Barnum Museum by Steven Milhauser. streets folding like pages in a book... fall through them, feeling only a chill in the air... [text from the about the author slip in a victorian novel... megadose of American Borges but much less lovable to my mind. 13
6 A Visit from the Goon Squad. A novel in the form of a collection of short stories, abandoning what makes novels good. Development and suspense are abandoned as as she ping pongs through lives. Includes a fairly funny cod DFW and some fairly terrible predicted future. The next generation will speak in text speach (remember that?) and, for some reason, all of the stock slides that come with power point. 11
7 The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene. Of interest to Catholics only.
8 Letters to Sir WIlliam Temple by Dorothy Osbourne. Incredibly charming collection of love letters from the 1600s. One to read again 5
9 Bech: A Life by John Updike. Pretty funny novella in the mold of Pnin. You loving bet I broke down a "The Complete Bech" to make the numbers go up higher.
10 Bech is Back & Bech in Czech by John Updike. The second half, I'm not a bad enough dude to count a 30 page short story as number 11. Less lovable as Bech gets married and has an affair with her sister in short order, reflecting later that it's her fault. That's our John, I guess.
11 A Bend in the River by V.S. Naipul. A guy gets lumbered with property in Africa and doesn't sell at the most oppourtune time. The First Naipul I read, guy's a good stylist. 3
12 A Friend of Kafka by Isaac Bashevis Singer as translated by the author and many others. Short stories about a Jewish Pole now living in New York who insists in writing in Hebrew by a etc etc. I much preferred the magical ones in this collection.
13 The New Confessions by William Boyd. Another old fake biography by Boyd, this time of a Scottish film director who becomes obsessed with Rosseau. Occasionally so researched the weight of it deforms the book but enjoyable enough. 10
14 The Garden Party and Other Stories by Katherine Mansfield. Boy I'd read a lot of these already.
15 The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot. Really enjoyed the beginning and end, though I must say I found the conclusion a little stagily unconvincing. 4
16 The Innocence of Father Brown by G.K. Chesterton. Micro-detective stories with about 2 pages of local colour, 6 pages of mystery, then 2 pages where Brown delivers the punchline. Mostly about how hosed-up foreigners are and how rational the Catholic church is. 22
17 The Tremor of Forgery by Patricia Highsmith. There are so many dark intimations of danger in the background that I didn't realize it's basically The Stranger until 20 pages from the end.
18 A Fan's Notes by Frederick Exley. I shelved this a while ago as I didn't really think the prose was interesting enough to get me to care. I still think that, to be honest.
19 The Hireling by L.P. Hartley. I bought this because I had the chance to buy The Go Between and didn't so I was feeling guilty. The guy read's fast but is entirely about forelock tugging and so I can see why he was popular in his day and is not at all now.
20 Anne of the Five Towns by Arnold Bennet. Mostly a description of the pottery industry in the early 19th Centuary with a little romance written around it. Some good stuff.
21 Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell. I was going to read Sylvia's Lovers but a first google spat out that she called it her most depressing book so I went with this one instead. OK, variable,
22 Persuasion by Jane Austen. You bet I'm trying to read a bunch of women this year. It's good stuff, hurt a bit by my inability to learn character's names, they all seem to be called Frederick or Charles.
23 The Swimming Pool Library by Alan Hollinghurst. This was pressed into my hands with the adjective "Jamesian" which I guess means it's about vicious rich people and nothing really happens. Has all the sex James left out and then some.
24 The Letters of John Cheever edited by Benjamin Cheever. Apparently he only wrote regularly to about 5 people, and Ben went and cut out the catty segments to spare some blushes. The extensive notes are really good though, especially giving background to John's love letters to men.
25 Lois the Witch and other stories by Elizabeth Gaskell. I think this is from a penguin grouping of horror stories, so this collection is all about idiot's misunderstanding of supernatural forces going out and hurting someone. S'good.
26 Correction by Thomas Bernhard as translated by Sophie WIlkins. I found myself thinking of The Cone so I gave this one a re-read.
27 May We be Forgiven by A.M. Homes. I actually bought this in hardback back when I lightly paid attention to current lit (listened to Saturday Review) and it sounded fun and violent, and it does start off with a visceral thrill as the piggy feared elder brother kills about 5 people and then pisses himself, but then it settles down into just low-level unpleasantness over 300 pages. It sort of strains credulity that the guy can't buy aspirin without being barred from the chemist for life. Plot is a satire of crap American lit of successful academic with hollow life learns to love again. I mean, they say he's learnt but he just sort of meekly has stuff imposed on him by the aforesaid unpleasant people. They load this sap up with pets, children, a girlfriend, even somebody else's parents by the end ("it's just a random collection of people!" a grandmother in law remarks on the concluding thanksgiving dinner. I guess I'm meant to smile wryly but, you know, it really just is). I think he's meant to be moving away from materialism but every loving good deed this guy does he's rewarded with stacks of untaxable cash so I'm not sure that's it. The prose is leaden and she thinks that if a joke's good once it's good ten or more so times. Just garbage. 2
28 Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham. Yeah, that's the stuff.
29 One Man's Meat by E.B. White. Likable enough series of essays, mostly about farming though occasionally he'll talk about the rise of Hitler or America's place in the world. 7
30 Peace by Gene Wolfe. How do you make closely written childhood memories and theorizing about the nature of truth sci-fi? Sketch a vague framing device and imply some nuclear event. A fun book. 8
31 Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. Maybe sorta light, also my copy didn't have any notes so I didn't get most of the literary parodies.
32 Clouds of Witness by Dorothy L. Sayers. I'm never smart enough to actually read these to solve them but I just like the characterization of Whimsey.
33 Jamaica Inn by Daphne DuMaurier. It was pointed out to me I've never read any of hers even though it'd take five minutes. Super broad-strokes in everything but she achieves her effects. I really should have read this like... a decade and change ago.
33 Devoted Ladies by M.J. Farrell (Molly Keane). Never heard of her but the publisher puts out some good stuff so I thought it was worth a tug. I had to go back and read the introduction because I wasn't sure what I had just read. A lesbian couple where the butch Jessica torments the lovely Jane to liver-failure, and go on holiday to Ireland where they meet June and, breaking the theme, Piggy who also seem to have a thing going. Published 1934 and without a subsequent obscenity case so things are... well not fuzzy, just absent. Apart from the fact that they hate each other you wouldn't know they're together. Occasionally has great breaks of descriptive fancy and is filled with grotesques. 19
34 Portrait of a Marriage by Vita Sackville-West and Nigel Nicolson. Structurally a very interesting book, as Nige discovered his mother's confession of a disastrous lesbian affair and polished it up for publication. She goes in for fairy-tale romanticizing and he comes in to account for the facts. Which is handy as one sort of gets lost in the fug of family scandals in Vita's text which Nigel manages to pin down quite neatly. Lord Seery, for instance, is first presented as colossal balloon of a person, filled with joy and laughter who was always a joy to the child Vita when he visited (though she was briefed he must be rolled discretely to another room in case he falls dead in front of her mother's bedroom door). Then Nigel comes in with some conservative estimates about any relationship between him and his grandmother ("some patting") before moving in to the financial gifts and ensuing court-case over his will. So it's a broken-backed narrative, with the flush of emotion followed by what actually happened 30 pages later, with a coda added about how they were, against appearances, a very happy married couple, along with a couple of shoe-horned mentions of Virginia Woolf.
35 Emma by Jane Austen. Finishing off my birthday present. About 30 pages in I recognized that I had read this before, but still, very good. Austen writes selfish people well.

36 Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell. Much better than Cranford, and a very enjoyable 19th Centuary novel.
37 Arthurian Romances by Chrétien de Troyes in a prose translation bt William W. Kibler and Carleton W. Carrol. All the lances splintering against gorgets you could ask for. Episodic stories of knights knocking against each other like conkers, but they group of stories definitely explore a theme (Eric and Enide about love, the Story of the Grail about morality) which I guess is why Troyes was a genius.Translation is miles away from the original, of course, but I don't feel the urge to go and learn medieval French, to be honest.
38 Right Ho Jeeves by P.G. Woodhouse. The weather was nice so I read a Woodhouse. This is the one where Betram upsets the chef by convincing everybody to dolefully decline their food in a lovelorn manner, if you're interested.
39 Cities of the Red Night by William S. Burroughs. First book of his that I've read where he was sober enough to carry on a story in between chapters, though it falls apart a bit midway through.

39/60
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22

Tiggum posted:

Treasure Island reminded me of reading a play. I wouldn't recommend the book, but I'd go see it if they made a movie.

Boy, you're in luck.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Ben Nevis posted:

Previously Read:
1. My Dead Body by Charlie Huston.
2. Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry.
3. Made in America, An informal history of the English Language in the US by Bill Bryson.
4. Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson
5. Ru by Kim Thuy
6. The Stars my Destination by Alfred Bester
7. Only the Animals by Ceridwen Dovey
8. The Language of Food, A Linguist Reads the Menu by Dan Jurafsky
9. Paris Nocturne by Patrick Modiano
10. Last First Snow by Max Gladstone
11. Brief Encounters with Che Guevara
12. A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny
13. Anno Dracula by Kim Newman
14. Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome
15. Carter and Lovecraft by Jonathan L Howard
16. Binti by Nnedi Okorafor
17. Claws of the Cat by Susan Spann
18. Stray Souls by Kate Griffin
19. Version Control by Dexter Palmer
20. Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff
21. Girl Waits with Gun by Amy Stewart
22. The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle
23. The Watchmaker of Filigree Street by Natasha Pulley
24. The Decagon House Murders by Yukito Ayatsuji
25. The Girl with the Ghost Eyes by MH Boroson
26. The Soul of an Octopus by Sy Montgomery
27. Crooked by Austin Grossman

Apparently I underestimated what I'd read this year. On the whole a good month, no real duds, though I'm a little conflicted on Johan Thoms.

28. A Spy Among Friends: Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal by Ben MacIntyre - It's the story of Kim Philby, told primarily through his relationships with others in MI6, particularly his close friend Nicholas Elliott. MacIntyre takes the stance that the Britain's version of the "good ol' boy" network was crucial in letting Philby get away with it as long as he did. It sheds some interesting light on the escape of Philby as well. If this were fiction, it'd be almost unbelievable. The fact that it actually happened is somewhat mind boggling. A story just rife with incompetence and alcohol. I'd recommend this.
29. The Great & Calamitous Tale of Johan Thoms by Ian Thornton - There's a long subtitle, but somehow it wasn't the one on my book, despite being on Amazon and Goodreads, so I dunno. Johan Thoms is an extraordinary young man. He's well read, a chess player of no small talent, and is equally at home with students and dukes. One thing he cannot do is drive in reverse. This generally isn't a problem until he becomes the chauffeur for Archduke Franz Ferdinand. He spends the rest of his life running and hiding from the world created by assassination. This was an interesting book. I can't decide how much I like it. Some parts I really enjoyed. I feel like it's generally well written and snappy with a worldly frankness that lends some humor. At other times I feel like the author is a big dbag. Maybe it's some sort of shaggy dog penis joke.
30. The Neverending Story by Michael Ende - The part that you know and love is the first 40% of the book. The last 60% is Bastian wandering and having adventures in Fantastica. Will he ever make it back home? The first bit was great. The second half really needed tightening up. It got draggy. The physical book was very interesting, with all the text being colored, either plum for the real world or a dark green for Fantastica. Each chapter had sort of an old style full page illumination for the first letter, and there were 26 chapters one for each letter.
31. In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez - A novelization of the story of the Mirabal sisters, 4 sisters from the Dominican Republic, 3 of whom will killed by Trujillo for being revolutionaries. The story details the abuses of Trujillo and the cult of personality built around him. The book was endorsed by the surviving sister, Dede, so while the events in the story aren't per se true, there is an underlying truth to the story. This was a fantastic book. Easily the best of the month and will likely be in the running for best of the year.
32. The Glass God by Kate Griffin - The second, and at this time final, book in the Magicals Anonymous series, the sort of companion series to Kate Griffins Matthew Swift books. This was good, and very much in the vein of the rest of the series. I like the world she's created. Griffin says she may return, but I'm a little curious as to how. She's sort of written herself into a corner with Swift, in that he's so strong there need to be reasons that he's not doing everything.
33. The Devil in Silver by Victor Lavalle - Checked this out because I really enjoyed Black Tom by Lavalle last month. A man is thrown into a psych ward by overworked police only to learn that there's a secret behind the big silver door. The devil lives there. Is it a delusion among the crazies, the result of an overzealous schedule of medication, or the supernatural? I liked this a lot more than the Goodreads reviews, based on rating. I think that's because it's billed as literary horror. The horror aspect loses out some in the larger story. Really it's more a story about systems and institutions and how the treat people. I'll likely be picking up something else from Lavalle in the future as well.

1) Vanilla Number 33/45
2) Something written by a woman - 5, 7, 18, 17, 16, 21, 23, 26, 31, 32
3) Something Written by a nonwhite author - 5, 16, 19, 22, 24, 31, 33
4) Something written in the 1800s - 14
5) Something History Related (fictional or non-fiction your choice)- 21, 31
6) A book about or narrated by an animal - 7, 12
8) A work of Science Fiction - 6, 16, 19
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages - 2, 16
11) Read something about or set in NYC - 1, 33
13) Read Something YA - 30
14) Wildcard!
15) Something recently published - 4, 7, 9, 10, 11, 15, 16, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23,24,25, 29
16) That one book you’ve wanted to read for a while now - 2, 6, 30
17) The First book in a series - 13, 17, 18, 21, 25
18) A biography or autobiography - 28
20) Read a banned book
21) A Short Story collection - 7, 11
22) It’s a Mystery - 15, 17, 24

Prolonged Shame
Sep 5, 2004

Prolonged Shame posted:

1) The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion - Fannie Flagg
2) Book of a Thousand Days - Shannon Hale
3) Outlander - Diana Gabaldon
4) Agnes Grey - Anne Brontë
5) The Corinthian - Georgette Heyer
6) Definitely Dead (Sookie Stackhouse #6) - Charlaine Harris
7) Redeemer: The Life of Jimmy Carter - Randall Balmer
8) The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up - Marie Kondo
9) Three-Ten to Yuma and Other Stories - Elmore Leonard
10) The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer - Siddhartha Mukherjee
11) The Talented Mr. Ripley - Patricia Highsmith
12) Euphoria - Lily King
13) All Together Dead (Sookie Stackhouse #7) - Charlaine Harris
14) From Dead to Worse (Sookie Stackhouse #8) - Charlaine Harris
15) The Angel of Darkness - Caleb Carr
16) Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal - Mary Roach
17) The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants - Anne Brashares
18) M Train - Patti Smith
19) Hope: A Memoir of Survival in Cleveland - Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus
20) The Barbary Pirates (Ethan Gage #4) - William Dietrich
21) Victory of Eagles (Temeraire #5) - Naomi Novik
22) Beacon 23 - Hugh Howey
23) In the Night Garden - Catherynne M. Valente
24) Julie and Julia - Julie Powell
25) Keeping the House - Ellen Baker
26) Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up - Marie Kondo
27) The Left Hand of Darkness - Ursula K. Le Guin
28) My Man Jeeves - P.G. Wodehouse
29) No Country for Old Men - Cormac McCarthy
30) The Girl on the Train - Paula Hawkins
31) President Reagan - The Role of a Lifetime - Lou Cannon
32) Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse #9) - Charlaine Harris
33) 41: A Portrait of My Father - George W. Bush
34) One of Us: Anders Breivik and the Massacre in Norway - Asne Seierstad
35) Tongues of Serpents (Temeraire #6) - Naomi Novik
36) The Post-Office Girl - Stefan Zwieg
37) Tender is the Night - F. Scott Fitzgerald
38) The Confusions of Young Torless - Robert Musil

May was very productive!

39) Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse #10) - Charlaine Harris: I'm still liking this series but I am glad it's winding down.
40) The Quick and the Dead - Louis L'Amour : I really liked this. My first L'Amour.
41) Fire From Heaven - Mary Renault: I have mixed feelings about this. It was very well written, but i feel like she assumes you are already well versed on the life of Alexander the Great (which I was not). I liked it well enough but will probably not be reading the sequels.
42) The Romanov sisters: The Lost Lives of the Daughters of Nicholad and Alexandra - Helen Rappaport: An excellent biography of the four daughters of the last Tsar of Russia, from their births through their untimely deaths.
43) Station Eleven - Emily st. John Mandel: I loved this. It is a novel set in a future dystopia, but it doesn't embrace all the tropes such novels usually do. It was nice to read one that didn't have a main character constantly fighting zombies/mutants/roving gangs/etc.
44) The Martian - Andy Weir: This wasn't bad. I've seen people complaining about the protagonists irreverent personality, but I think it worked. I do feel like it could have been 100 or so pages shorter. The problem/solution, problem/solution narrative wore thin after a while.
45) Missoula - John Krakauer: This should have been a series of magazine articles, not a 300+ page book.
46) Three Bags Full - Leonie Swann: What a disappointment. This sounded super cute on the jacket (a flock of sheep set out to solve the murder of their shepherd!) but it just flopped. There were moments when I could see how it could have been good, but the sheep/human interaction was just too weird, the sheep 'culture' ranged from cute to wildly bizarre, and the murder mystery itself was both confusing and disappointing.
47) My Life - Bill Clinton: This was pretty good, though at over 1000 pages it took me over a month to read it. It's biased (obviously), and he barely touches on the Lewinsky scandal so if you're looking for that, look elsewhere, but it's a really comprehensive bio of his life from birth through his presidency. It's surprisingly well written too.
48) The Unknown Ajax - Georgette Heyer: A standard, predictable Heyer romance, with some smuggling thrown in for good measure. Not bad.
49) Encore Provence: New Adventures in the South of France - Peter Mayle: Not bad, but I think he's run out of things to write about.
50) Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? - Mindy Kaling: This is constantly being compared to Bossypants, which I enjoyed, so I thought I'd give it a try. There are some mildly amusing parts, but it's mostly random thoughts and journal entries from a comedy writer. Section titles include 'Jewish Guys' and 'In Defense of Chest Hair'. It's not very interesting or very funny.

Subchallenges!

A-Z challenge::
A: The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion
B: Book of a Thousand Days
C: The Corinthian
D: Definitely Dead
E: Euphoria
F: From Dead to Worse
G: Gulp
H: Hope
I: In the Night Garden
J: Julie and Julia
K: Keeping the House
L: The Left Hand of Darkness
M: My Man Jeeves
N: No Country for Old Men
O: One of Us
P: The Post Office Girl
Q: The Quick and the Dead
R: The Romanov Sisters
S: Station Eleven
T: Three Bags Full
U: The Unknown Ajax

Booklord:
Written by a woman: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
Written by a non-white author: Emperor of All Maladies
Written in the 1800's: Agnes Grey
History related: Fire From heaven
About or narrated by an animal: Three Bags Full

Science fiction book: Beacon 23
Written by a musician: M Train
Book over 500 pages: Keeping the House
Book about/set in NYC: The Angel of Darkness
Young adult book: Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
Wildcard: The Confusions of Young Torless
Published in the last year: Hope
Book you've wanted to read for a while: The Left Hand of Darkness
First book in a series: Outlander
Biography or autobiography: Redeemer: The Life of Jimmy Carter
Written by lost or beat generation author: Tender is the Night
Short stories: Three-Ten to Yuma and other Stories
Mystery book: The Girl on the Train

Overall:
Total: 50/100
A-Z Challenge: 21/26
Booklord Challenge: 18/22
Presidential Biographies: 4/6

Half way there!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The 2016 Book Lord Challenge

1) Vanilla Number: 20/40
2) Something written by a woman - Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
3) Something Written by a nonwhite author - Who Killed Palomino Molero? by Mario Vargas Llosa
4) Something written in the 1800s - Three Men In A Boat by Jerome Klapka Jerome
5) Something History Related (fictional or non-fiction your choice) - Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel
8) A work of Science Fiction - Expanse 1-4 by James Corey
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages - The Secret Place by Tana French
12) Read Airplane fiction (Patterson, ect) - The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie
13) Read Something YA
14) Wildcard! Devil in a Blue Dress by Walter Mosley, as suggested by High Warlord Zog
15) Something recently published (up to a year. The year will be the day you start this challenge) Medusa's Web by Tim Powers
16) That one book you’ve wanted to read for a while now. - Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon
17) The First book in a series Harmony Black by Craig Schaefer
20) Read a banned book
22) It’s a Mystery.

New reads: Hillary Mantel - Wolf Hall. A surprisingly interesting take on what appears to me to be a supremely boring period. I didn't really know anything about Thomas Cromwell beforehand so can't comment on historical accuracy, but anything that manages to keep me interested in a book this size deserves some praise. 3.5/5

Mario Vargas Llosa - Who Killed Palomino Molero? Okay, so I don't particularly care for Literature but turning it into a crime story seems to work pretty well. In 1950s Peru, a body is discovered and two policemen have to deal with just about every issue a fundamentally corrupt yet human society can throw at them. Short and (bitter)sweet. 4/5, counting this as a non-white author in case I don't manage to rustle up another one.

Fall of Light by Steven Erikson. Right back to my comfort zone. I'm a pretty big fan of Erikson's ever-expanding fantasy saga and this keeps in the happy tradition of "everything you thought about our fictional history is wrong" - the guy loves to emphasise how subjective and relative history becomes and just how much do meanings get twisted with passage of time and between narrators. A strong entry in the series, looking forward to the conclusion of the prequel trilogy. 4/5.

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis. I normally don't go for time-travel stories as they seem some of the more boring things you can do in science fiction but it deals with a pretty interesting issue that time travellers would have that I haven't read anything about, namely setting off an epidemic infection from the past or future. The history seems to be well-researched and there's a very definite sense of just how much the life in Middle Ages sucked; a book I liked despite the boring premise. 3.5/5

Anyway, there's a cathegory I'm rather stumped on and could probably use some advice: the books by musicians. I don't hold particular interest for the history of music and I'm completely lost in there - any good picks for this category?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
May update.

Previously:

1. White Line Fever by Lemmy Kilmister.
2. Slåttekar i himmelen by Edvard Hoem.
3. Half the World by Joe Abercrombie.
4. Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome.
5. I Don't: A Contrarian History of Marriage by Susan Squire.
6. Anabasis by Xenophon.
7.-9. The Apocalypse Triptych: The End is Nigh, The End is Now, The End has Come edited by John Joseph Adams and Hugh Howey.
10. Sweet Thursday by John Steinbeck.
11. Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen by Lois McMaster Bujold.
12. Red Rising by Pierce Brown.
13. Demon Dentist by David Walliams.
14. The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco.
16. Plain Tales from the Hills by Rudyard Kipling.
17. Doktor Proktors Prompepulver by Jo Nesbø.

New; it's been a pretty good month for reading, again:

18. Acceptance by Jeff VanderMeer. This was some weird poo poo. Liked it.

19. The Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima. BOTM for May and a hell of a good one, one of the most interesting depictions of mental illness I've ever read. A fictionalized telling of a historical incident (well, recent/current events when it was written in the mid-50s) where an important Buddhist temple was burned down by one of its own monks.

20. Før jeg brenner ned by Gaute Heivoll. (Translates as "Before I burn down" -- the actual English translation is simply titled "Before I Burn"). Accidentally did a paired reading of thematically similar novels here; Heivoll is a swiftly rising star in contemporary Norwegian literature and this 2010 novel was his big breakthrough. Like the Mishima, it's about a historical case of arson; in this case, a pyromaniac who went on an arson spree in the rural southern Norwegian area where Heivoll himself grew up, right around the time in the late 1970s when Heivoll was a baby (in fact Heivoll's own baptism coincided with the arson spree). Unlike the Mishima, it's not told from the perpetrator's viewpoint but from the author's, as it's about half and half the story of the arsonist's journey from promising young man to hated criminal, and the author's own journey decades later from promising young man to... successful author. And also the story of how the author himself pieces together the story of the arsonist. Beautiful book, in parts elegiac, asks more questions than it answers.

21. Billionaire Boy by David Walliams. Read this aloud to my 7-year-old. Pretty funny story about how money can't buy happiness. Fair amount of absurd kids' humour.

22. Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Large-scale SF about humans trying to survive the death of the Earth by escaping to a planet terraformed by the previous human civilization... where in the meantime an unintended consequence of the terraforming project has given birth to a distinctly non-human civilization. It's giant loving spiders, baby! Liked this quite a lot.

Booklord challenge:

1) Vanilla Number - 22/40
2) Something written by a woman- I Don't, Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen
3) Something Written by a nonwhite author - Temple of the Golden Pavilion
4) Something written in the 1800s - Three Men in a Boat, Plain Tales from the Hills
5) Something History Related (fictional or non-fiction your choice) - Slåttekar i himmelen, Anabasis, The Name of the Rose
8) A work of Science Fiction - much of The Apocalypse Triptych, Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen, Red Rising, Half a War, Acceptance, Children of Time
9) Something written by a musician - White Line Fever
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages - The Name of the Rose
13) Read Something YA - Half the World, Red Rising, Half a War
14) Wildcard! - I Don't
15) Something recently published (up to a year. The year will be the day you start this challenge) - Half the World, Half a War, Children of Time
16) That one book you’ve wanted to read for a while now. - Three Men in a Boat
17) The First book in a series - Red Rising
18) A biography or autobiography - White Line Fever, Før jeg brenner ned
19) Read something from the lost generation (Fitzgerald, Hemmingway, ect.) or from the Beat Genneration - Sweet Thursday
20) Read a banned book
21) A Short Story collection - all volumes of The Apocalypse Triptych
22) It’s a Mystery.- The Name of the Rose

Additional individual challenge:

Norwegians: 3/10
Non-fiction: 3/5
Max re-reads: 2/5

BONUS INDIVIDUAL CHALLENGE: What the hell, I've followed the BOTM for both January and February; I'm going to keep doing that for the rest of the year. (Escape clause: Will reserve the option to skip books I've already read.) 5 for 5 on this.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Boy, you're in luck.

Oh, I know movies of it exist already, but I guess what I mean is I'm not interested enough to seek any of them out, but if I saw a new version being advertised it'd probably be enough to make me go see it. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone who isn't me? :shrug:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Oh, I know movies of it exist already, but I guess what I mean is I'm not interested enough to seek any of them out, but if I saw a new version being advertised it'd probably be enough to make me go see it. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone who isn't me? :shrug:

Ah, but then you're missing out on Muppet Treasure Island.

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Here's April and May.

Goal: 52 books, 1/4 literature, 4 books nonfiction.

20. A Breath of Life by Clarice Lispector (Literature)
21. Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami (Literature)
22. The Shore by Sara Taylor (Literature)
23. Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman
24. The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood (Literature)
25. Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit by Nahoko Uehashi
26. Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri (Literature)
27. Eona by Alison Goodman
28. Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee (Literature)
29. A Cat, A Man, and Two Women by Junichiro Tanizaki (Literature)

29/52, 15/29 Literature, 2 Nonfiction books.

A Breath of Life was interesting. I wish I had paid more attention and picked something finished though. I do want to read more Clarice Lispector though.

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki was good, but it caused me to think a lot about what it means to translate and if translating something makes it truly remain the same work. That's not really important though and you can see me sperg about it elsewhere. It's a good work, it felt a little different than what I usually associate with Murakami, but I can't really put my finger on why.

The Shore. Read it. Read it. Read the hell out of it! It jumps back and forth in time from story to story (to tell one story). I suppose you could say it's more about the place than the characters. It's not a happy book though.

Eon: Dragoneye Reborn. YA. Girl is disguised as boy for a male-only position and will likely die if found out. It's good though some parts rubbed me the wrong way.

The Robber Bride. It's Atwood, so you should read it. I'm not really sure of a good way to describe it that isn't basically reading a book jacket. But it was great.

Moribito. Woman is charged with caring for young prince that is harboring an egg. I think there was an anime based on this? Well, people seemed to like it. But whatever, the book is pretty good. The author seems to have written a lot of stuff, but it looks like the first two books of the Moribito are the only thing published in English. I'm not sure I'll read the next book. It feels kind of pointless if I can't finish it.

Interpreter of Maladies is basically stories of messed up people. I think this probably be a good place to start with the author, but personally, I liked The Namesake better.

Eona is the sequel to Eon. It was pretty engaging though now there were a lot of obligatory romantic problems. The two books are good though.

I can see why a lot of people dislike Go Set a Watchman. There are some really awkward choices in the book. I liked it despite that though, more because I felt that the book complements TKaM and pretty much reflects today with similar issues. ie: any conversation you've had with certain relatives over black lives matter.

A Cat, A Man, and Two Women. When I got this in the mail, I was asked "is it about someone trying to gently caress a cat?" It includes no bestiality, but it is basically about someone who keeps straining/ruining his marriages by treating his cat better than his wife. There are two other stories included, (The Little Kingdom, about a boy taking over his classroom, and Professor Rado about a reporter trying to interview this professor) but I think the titular novella is the star.

I seem to be right on target with literature, though it certainly wouldn't hurt to read more than required. I should try to fit in another nonfiction book soon. I bought some more books, so I should have some fun times ahead when I can't get to the library.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Caustic Chimera posted:

I do want to read more Clarice Lispector though.

I can recommend the passion according to G.H.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Previously read:
1. Exoskeleton by Shane Stadler
2. The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien
3. The Serpent by Claire North
4. Dear Mr Kershaw: A Pensioner Writes by Derek Philpott
5. Bossypants] by Tina Fey
7. The Books of Magic] by Neil Gaiman
8. The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle #1) by Maggie Steifvater
9. The Dream Thieves (Raven Cycle #2) by Maggie Steifvater
10. Blue Lily, Lily Blue (Raven Cycle #3) by Maggie Steifvater
11. Modern Romance] by Aziz Anzari
12. Legend by Marie Lu
13. Sabriel by Garth Nix
14. Three men on a boat by Jerome K Jerome
15. Thus Spake Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche
16. Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
17. Touched by an Angel by Jonathan Morris
18. River of Ink by Paul M M Cooper
19. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling

May

Steaming ahead this month, I think my 35 book goal was quite tame, I'll have to up it next year!

20. Mr Mercedes by Steven King: I mostly liked this, I didn't know much about it so didn't expect a detective novel rather than a horror but it was OK. I think I was put off by the experienced but retired detective pursuing a clearly dangerous and pretty unstable killer while flimsily justifying not telling the police a drat thing.

21. I Remember You by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir: An Icelandic horror/mystery novel which I really enjoyed, I definitely felt the tension and suspense. I think some of the dialogue was a bit lost in translation as it felt a bit clunky but overall a good read.

22. Unwanted by Kristina Ohlsson: Another detective/mystery type novel about children abducted from their parents. I clearly was on a bit of a kick of this type of novel last month, this was an interesting take on it with a lot of focus on the investigation methods. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed in the 'big reveal' at the end, I think the author was focused on having it be an unexpected twist but it just left me feeling '....oh'.

23. Close Encounters of the Third Kind by Tom Cox: As a self confessed cat lady I quite enjoyed the random stories of a man bumbling around trying to care for his four (I think?) cats and adjust to rural life.

24. I Am a Cat by Natsume Soseki: Now this was a totally different type of cat book, Japanese life in the early 1900s dictated by a nameless and pretty sarcastic cat. It was very densely written, superbly descriptive and a strange mixture of funny, intriguing and dull. Although for the most part I enjoyed reading it, I could only take it in fairly small doses and found it difficult to generate the motivation to continue reading. I'm glad I persevered though, a worthwhile effort to hear the insights of a very judgmental cat.

25. The Girl You Lost by Kathryn Croft: Yet another detective novel, a quick read and inoffensively written (despite some extreme material) but eh, quite a few plot holes and contrivances.

Booklord Challenge Progress
1) Vanilla Number - 25/35
2) Something written by a woman - The Serpent
3) Something Written by a nonwhite author - Modern Romance
4) Something written in the 1800s - Thus Spake Zarathustra
5) Something History Related (fictional or non-fiction your choice)
6) A book about or narrated by an animal I Am A Cat
8) A work of Science Fiction - Touched by an Angel
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages - House of Leaves
13) Read Something YA - Legends
14) Wildcard!
15) Something recently published - River of Ink
17) The First book in a series - The Raven Boys
20) Read a banned book
22) It’s a Mystery. I Remember You

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
May

32. Those who Leave and Those Who Stay by Elena Ferrante
This is the third in the series as most people know by now. Same style, easy and good read, but maybe not as good as the first two. I think maybe I am just a bit burned out on the series. Maybe the last book will be really good and give me the same feeling as the first two. Still better than most books.

33. The Sellout by Paul Beatt
This has some good writing and it has some great satire, still, I didn't really like it. It just wore out its welcome and went from funny and interesting to kind of a slog toward the end. It's about a black guy who grows up in a suburb of LA that ends of literally being taken off the map. In his quest to bring back the town name and borders, he gets a slave, who is a little know actor and only living Little Rascal, and starts a segregation movement. It is definitely clever and well-written, it just couldn't maintain my interest for as long as it was.

34. Life of Pi by Yann Martel
I didn't know much about this book even with all the movie promotion when it came out and the praise for the book. I think the only thing I knew is a kid was in a boat with a Tiger for some reason. Anyway, this turned out to be more a fantasy, and I have to say, had some really great story telling and an ending I completely did not see coming. I kind of was hoping throughout the whole thing I was missing something, and it turns out I was. Really neat way of telling a story and then having you think about everything you read. I liked it a lot and still think about it.

35. The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach
I genuinely disliked this book. The characters were so one dimensional and predictable, as was the story. This was more of a young adult type book which I didn't realize. It started out interesting since I am a huge baseball fan so I thought it was right down my alley, but it quickly turned in to something I did not enjoy. The main character is a natural baseball player who idealizes a short stop who wrote a book about the position. He's a genius when it comes to baseball but all of the sudden he can't make a throw to first base. It was an easy to read, but cliched book. I knew what was going to happen from the minute he loses his arm and then introduces a female character who ends up the girlfriend of his best friend. I would recommend something like The Cider House Rules over this. I actually felt it hit a lot of the same beats as Cider House Rules, but not close to as good.

36. A wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
I know this is a kids book, still I thought it would be a lot better than it was. Oh well, it was short.

37. Boy's Life by Robert McCammon
Really good book and good story telling. At first it seems like a straight forward story of a boy growing up in a small down in the south in the 60's, which it is, but it has some mild fantasy elements, including a monster that lives in the river, a ghost car, a zombie dog, and a lot more. It also has a murder mystery that is a ongoing story through the whole book. He's a great writer, my book of the month, really enjoyable. It's a wild ride too, there is a lot going on in this book and a lot of really interesting and likable characters.

Vanilla Number 37/50
Something written by a woman several
Something Written by a nonwhite author The Sellout
Something written in the 1800s Frankenstein
Something History Related Devil in the White City
A book about or narrated by an animal The Call of the Wild
A collection of essays.
A work of Science Fiction Ender’s Shadow
Something written by a musician Wolf in a White Van
Read a long book, something over 500 pages A Little Life
Read something about or set in NYC A Little Life
Read Airplane fiction Patriot Games
Read Something YA The Art of Fielding
Wildcard! How to Be Both
Something recently published My Name is Lucy barton
That one book you’ve wanted to read for a while now To Kill A Mockingbird
The First book in a series My Brilliant Friend
A biography or autobiography
Read something from the lost generationThe Sun Also Rises
Read a banned book Frankenstein
A Short Story collection The Dubliners
t’s a Mystery The Name of the Rose

Rusty fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 1, 2016

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

May.

25. The Business Iain Banks. Not one of Iain Banks' best. The story is kind of intriguing, but it doesn't have much else.
26. The Vor Game Louis McMaster Bujold. Pretty fun book. The characters are good, except for a selected few… the story is great, even if it resolves quite quick.
27. Elric at the End of Time Michael Moorcock. Kind of a disappointment. The stories are regular and some weak, some concepts are pretty good and Elric is always great, but it doesn't work here.
28. CISM Review Manual 2013 ISACA. Research for certification. Pretty concise and easy to understand, even if it had a ton of information.
29. Lost Stars Claudia Gray. It was ok. Some moments were great, others were dull. It was interesting to see the original trilogy of Star Wars from some other point of view and that's it.
30. Sececión de Proción Jan de Fast. The story is quite simple. The book tries to remind us of all the stories of space adventures of the fifties... but unsuccessfully.

Booklord challenge
1) Vanilla Number 24/60
2) Something written by a woman - Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie.
3) Something Written by a nonwhite author La otra historia de México: Juárez y Maximiliano I by Armando Fuentes Aguirre.
5) Something History Related (fictional or non-fiction your choice) - Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson
8) A work of Science Fiction - Caliban's War by James S. A. Corey.
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages - Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson.
13) Read Something YA. Harry Potter and the Globet of Fire by J.K. Rowling.
14) Wildcard!
15) Something recently published
16) That one book you’ve wanted to read for a while now. Steering the Craft by Ursula K. Le Guin.
17) The First book in a series - The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket.
20) Read a banned book. The Monk by Matthew Gregory Lewis
21) A Short Story collection. Forty Stories by Anton Chekhov
22) It’s a Mystery - Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Only three books this month. I expect to read more in June since I have surgery soon and will be laying around recovering.

Stephen King - Finders Keepers (I read Mr. Mercedes in April, this was an okay follow-up but not as good as the first)
Margaret Atwood - The Heart Goes Last (This was weird. The only Atwood I've read before this is the Maddaddam books; I didn't like this as much but there was some fun world building/ I will read more Atwood this year, for sure.)
Richard Adams - Watership Down (I'd heard of this but never read it, and expected it to be a kids' book. I really enjoyed it! Surprisingly moving, especially the stuff with Bigwig holding his ground near the end. Also, this crosses off challenge #6.)

Booklord Challenge progress:
1) Vanilla Number (currently at 22 of 40)
2) 15 books written by women (currently at 7 of 15)
3) Something written by a nonwhite author (Kiese Laymon - How to Slowly Kill Yourselves and Others in America)
5) Something History Related (Thomas King - The Inconvenient Indian: A Curious Account of Native People in North America)
6) A book about or narrated by an animal (Richard Adams - Watership Down)
7) A collection of essays (Charlie Demers - The Horrors)
8) A work of Science Fiction (Joseph Fink - Welcome to Night Vale)
9) Something written by a musician (Carrie Brownstein - Hunger Makes me a Modern Girl)
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages (Tana French - The Likeness)
11) Read something about or set in NYC (Richard Hell - I Dreamed I was a Very Clean Tramp)
12) Read Airplane fiction (Paula Hawkins - The Girl on the Train)
13) Read Something YA
14) Wildcard! (Norman Mailer - The Executioner's Song)
15) Something recently published (Emily V Gordon - Super You)
17) The First book in a series (Adam Sternbergh - Shovel Ready)
18) A biography or autobiography (RA Dickey - Wherever I Wind Up)
19) Read something from the lost or beat generation
20) Read a banned book
22) It’s a Mystery (Tana French - Faithful Place)

Currently reading Joe Hill's new book, the 4th book in the Dublin Murder Squad series, and a dumb book on social media for school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

may was a really busy month, and in addition I also spent too much time dicking around with dark souls 3 like a goon

1) Vanilla Number - 11/30
2) Something written by a woman - The Bell Jar
3) Something Written by a nonwhite author - Kenzaburō Ōe
4) Something written in the 1800s - War and Peace
5) Something History Related (fictional or non-fiction your choice) - War and Peace
8) A work of Science Fiction
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages - War and Peace
13) Read Something YA
14) Wildcard!
15) Something recently published (up to a year. The year will be the day you start this challenge)
16) That one book you’ve wanted to read for a while now. - The Temple of the Golden Pavilion
17) The First book in a series
20) Read a banned book
21) A Short Story collection - Death in Venice and Other Stories
22) It’s a Mystery.

1. War and Peace, Leo Tolstoy
2. The Silent Cry, Kenzaburo Oe
3. Aurora det niende mørke, hymne og myte, Stein Mehren
4. The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath
5. Mourning Diary, Roland Barthes
6. Death in Venice and Other Stories, Thomas Mann
7. Is-slottet, Tarjei Vesaas
8. En dag i oktober, Sigurd Hoel
9. No One Writes to the Colonel, Gabriel Garcia Marquez
10. Voices From Chernobyl, Svetlana Alexievich
11. Temple of the Golden Pavilion, Yukio Mishima

Voices From Chernobyl was an interesting take on non-fiction. By removing her own interview questions completely, and putting the informants' responses front-and-centre, she sort of managed to make the stories a lot more emotive. all in all very interesting, and she managed to find people from all walks of life, too. ranging from professors of literature and marxist philosophy to farmers and disabled housewives. I'm also glad I read Temple of the Golden Pavilion. I was really fascinated with the friendship between Mizoguchi and Kashiwagi. It seemed to me that Kashiwagi managed to influence Mizoguchi's perspective of beauty rather deeply, without him really realizing it himself (at least not outspokenly). At the moment where he decides to burn down the temple, he becomes less obsessed with the concept of beauty itself, and more obsessed with the fact that true beauty cannot be everlasting.

e: I forgot that I actually read another book at the start of the month, No One Writes to the Colonel, which is about a retired colonel who has been waiting for his retirement check for 16 years. he struggles with poverty and how to manage to navigate through corruption and deceit amongst his former military friends. There's also a brief appearance of a character that will later feature strongly in One Hundred Years of Solitude. it was p good.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 2, 2016

• Locked thread