Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
This year it's my turn to be the booklord.

What's this all about

Each year we like to challenge ourselves to read a set number of books. For some of us it's an easy thing, but for many of us, it's a challenge. However the outcome of it is always fun. This isn't a pyf, as last year's booklord Stravinsky said, so please post a what you though about the book a bit and you'll be good.

So Where's The Challenge?

For this event, you make your own challenge. Want to read nothing but graphic novels? Go for it. Want to read nothing but YA? Sure that's fine. But I strongly suggest that you branch out a bit too and read other things too. The only thing you have to do is declare your challenge and pop in once and a while to let us know what you read recently. Most of the goons who take part in this challenge usually post what book they read for the first couple they finish right away and then after that, go to once a month. You can post every other month if you like, but just make sure you post.

Will there be another booklord challenge this year?

You bet there is. Since it was so successful last year, I was asked to bring it back again. I've improved it a little bit and hopefully made it a little better than it was.

The 2016 Book Lord Challenge

1) Vanilla Number
2) Something written by a woman
3) Something Written by a nonwhite author
4) Something written in the 1800s
5) Something History Related (fictional or non-fiction your choice)
6) A book about or narrated by an animal
7) A collection of essays.
8) A work of Science Fiction
9) Something written by a musician
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages
11) Read something about or set in NYC
12) Read Airplane fiction (Patterson, ect)
13) Read Something YA
14) Wildcard!
15) Something recently published (up to a year. The year will be the day you start this challenge)
16) That one book you’ve wanted to read for a while now.
17) The First book in a series
18) A biography or autobiography
19) Read something from the lost generation (Fitzgerald, Hemmingway, ect.) or from the Beat Genneration
20) Read a banned book
21) A Short Story collection
22) It’s a Mystery.

Also if this isn't your cup of tea, you can use this one:

http://bookriot.com/2015/12/15/2016-book-riot-read-harder-challenge/

Once again, there's no rules on how you stretch it and also on how you define it, so it's up to you.

screenwritersblues fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Those Taking The Booklord Challenge

Screenwritersblues: 30 books, Read 9 Indiespenble books (These are books selected by Powell's out in PDX and come with a book and other various goodies. They mail them out every six weeks, so I get 3-4 books a year from them) and books gotten for Christmas.

Roydrowsy: 100 Books

Groke: 40 books, 10 Norwegians, 5 Non Fiction, 5 Rereads

ulvir: 30 books

Lumius: 30 books

cebrail: 40 books and if done by 12/1/16, will read Infinite Jest

Robot Mil: 35 books

Kopijeger: 40 books

anilEhilated: 40 Books

Prolonged Shame: 100 books, presidential reading challenge, A-Z reading challenge

Hantama: 40 books, 10 Japanese, 5 German

Siminu: 52 books

nefarias bredd: 125 books and at least 4 Orange/Bailey's winners

Quidnose: 30 books

ZakAce: 120 books and at least 40% of them have to be female authors

Rusty:50 books

Quandary: 30 books

Corrode: 50 books

poparena: 50 books

Ben Nevis: 45 books

ToxicFrog: 96 books, >10% nonfiction, <25% rereads

Siminu: 52 Books

Grizzled Patriarch: 40 books

The Berzerker: 40 books, at least 15 have to be women

Radio!: 52 books

TheBandersnatch: 35 books, 15 by women

MonotoneKimi: 52 books

Chamberk: 50 books

Bandiet: 75 nooks

ItsDisposable: 52 Books

Gertrude Perkins: 52 books, 40% women

Aphra Bane: 30 books, 3 by Indigenous Australian authors

Talas: 60 books

Lunchmeat Larry: 26 books

Strong Mouse: 50 Books

marblize: 52 books, 26 by women, 13 by non white authors

McClanahan: 40 books

Mahlertov Cocktail: 45 books

Namirsolo: 52 Books

ltr: 52 Books

The Silent Hulk: 52 books

Dienes: 26 books

saphron: 35 books

Enfys: 40 books

Socialized: 24 books

nerdpony: 52 books, popsugar and bookriot challenges, and books that they started in 2015

thatdarnedbob: 80 books, 1 fiction a month

Meander: 35 books

Clayton Bigsby: 60 books

at the date: 60 books

screenwritersblues fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 8, 2016

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Those not taking the Booklord challenge

Caustic Chimera: 50 books At least a 1/4 of them have to be literature and 4 non fiction

Fellwenner: 52 books

Holothurian: 30 books

david crosby: 40 books, read one a month that 500+ pages

Minimaul: 7 books

Mel Mudkiper: 30 Books

Mollsmolyneux: 25 books, 12 that he already owns

mania: 52 books, 5 non fiction

Tiggum: 52 books, 24 female authors, 12 non-fiction, no more than three books my a single author

the_homemaster: 60 boos, 10 Female authors, 10 POC authors, and five with 500+ pages

fritzov: 75 audiobooks and the bookriot challege

LionArcher: 52 books

Franchescanado: 52 books, at least 10 non-fiction and the bookriot challenge.

prinneh: 52 books

Captain Vittles: 12 books

Dr. Garbanzo: 12 books

thespaceinvader: 52 books

guppy: 15 books

Blind Sally: Shakespeare's Cannon

screenwritersblues fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 8, 2016

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Completed (will be updated in 2016 or as they come)

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

I am in for 100 again. No special add ins this year. I will attempt the book lord challenge as well.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
I'll do the same as last year: In for the challenge, minimum 40 books total, at least 10 Norwegians, at least 5 nonfiction books, at most 5 re-reads.

Will accept wildcard suggestions right now.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I'll go for 30 since this semester will be an incredibly busy one, and I'll try to do all booklord challenges

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
I will also do a 30 person total booklord challenge.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I'll go for 40 and the booklord challenge. And if I'm at 40 before December 1, I'll read Infinite Jest.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

I love the idea of a challenge like this, I really want to expand my uh, reading horizons I guess?

I'll go for 35 books in 2016 and the booklord challenge.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
I'll try the challenge this year. Aiming for 40 books and the booklord challlenge. A quick question: what does "nonwhite" mean in this context? Who exactly qualifies as a "nonwhite author"?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Kopijeger posted:

A quick question: what does "nonwhite" mean in this context? Who exactly qualifies as a "nonwhite author"?

I filed latin-american and portuguese authors as non-white in the 2015 challenge, personally.

Prolonged Shame
Sep 5, 2004

I'm in again. Overall goal: 100 books
Sub-goals: finish the presidential reading challenge (I've just got from Carter onward), do an A-Z challenge (read books whose titles start with each letter of the alphabet), and I will take on the booklord challenge as well.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I failed my challenge miserably last year so here's hoping for a better run: booklord challenge, at least 40 books.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Prolonged Shame posted:

I'm in again. Overall goal: 100 books
Sub-goals: finish the presidential reading challenge (I've just got from Carter onward), do an A-Z challenge (read books whose titles start with each letter of the alphabet), and I will take on the booklord challenge as well.

So no Booklord challenge?

Prolonged Shame
Sep 5, 2004

screenwritersblues posted:

So no Booklord challenge?

Yes booklord challenge. Look at the last sentence of my post. :)

Hantama
Dec 6, 2008
I didn't get anywhere near my goal last year so I will lower it a bit this time.
I will read 40 books in 2016. At least10 of them have to be in japanese and at least 5 of them have to be in german.
I will also take the booklord challenge, I will read my wildcard from last year this year though because I didn''t get around to.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Someone give me a wild card from this list.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/5153430?order=a&shelf=to-read&sort=date_added

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
^ The Secret Garden

The Book Lord Challenge seems pretty neat, but I think I'm gonna pass. I really do like the idea though.

I think I'll tentatively put myself down for 52 books. Goodreads says I read 70 this year, but it was a pretty good year, and 2016 looks harder.
As a sub-challenge, I want to make 1/4 of my total (so at this point, 13) Literature, and 4 books total Non-fiction. Even if I lower my total book count, I want to stick to this general principle.

Here's my goodreads so you can friend me and judge my reading choices: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/3692191-rhea-shell

Caustic Chimera fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 29, 2015

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

No, you are the magic man.

Hell Gem
Put me down for a booklord 52; I am not afraid!

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

ulvir posted:

I filed latin-american and portuguese authors as non-white in the 2015 challenge, personally.

Pretty strange definition: it would mean that an Italian is white, but the current Pope, whose parents were immigrants from Italy, is not. And why Portugal but not other Southern European countries? If you are going by cultural divides, then you might classify authors from majority-Orthodox countries as non-white as well.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

maybe because, while I did read latin-american and portuguese lit., I didn't read anything from spain or greece?

nefarias bredd
May 4, 2013
I'm in for 120 this year seeing as I'm sitting on 125 at the moment for this year. I'll have a go at the Booklord Challenge as well, and at least four Orange/Baileys prize for women winners.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I'm in it again this year although I always manage to fail! I really want to try to read more this year, though.

Going to go for 30; flat 22 of the booklord trial and then 8 extra.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
I may as well keep this trainwreck a-rollin'. 120 books to start with, with possible further additions later in the year. I'll probably knock off a few Booklord categories, but I'll elaborate on one: at least 40% female authors.

Currently reading: Les Miserables - Victor Hugo. (Print)
The Scar - China Miéville. (Digital [Kindle])
The Three-Body Problem - Cixin Liu. (Digital [Computer])*

* This is because I got it for free as part of the Hugo Awards Voters' Packet, and I can't seem to find a way of getting it onto my Kindle or iPad.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I was able to read 45 books in 2015, I'll do booklord and 50 this coming year.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
Please put me down for 52 books. I won't do the booklord challenge, because too many of them simply don't appeal to me, but I applaud you for making it and other goons for taking it.

I'm on goodreads as 'prinneh' and so far only have 1 friend, so please someone for the love of god add me before I die of loneliness.

edit: already made 2 new friends :) Can't wait to trawl through their lists!

prinneh fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 29, 2015

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Now that I'm through with college and will have a bit of free time for once, I'm down to try the challenge with a 30 book minimum. Should be doable, but its a new thing so I'm going to start off modest.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

50 and the booklord for me.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

I'm in for 50 and the booklord. This should be fun.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm going to repeat last year's challenge:
- 96 books
- Booklord Challenge
- ≥ 10% nonfiction
- ≤ 25% rereads

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

screenwritersblues can you amend my entry please? Should read 35 books rather than 30. I have to say I'm in awe of those of you aiming for ~100 books, I have no idea how you do it. Maybe once I've finished my doctorate in a couple of years I'll aim for one a week...

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Given that now I have a small child around, I'll be estimating down - I'll aim at 50 to start, though I can probably do up to 75.

One challenge I'm going to give to myself has less to do with reading and more to do with buying: I'm going to read only books I've bought already, no purchases until at least June.

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I added my goodreads in my previous post since it only just occurred to me.

But I was wondering, people that are on goodreads that will do the 2016 challenge there as well, do you bother to count rereads? I know there's ways to, like picking a different edition, or maybe changing the reading dates, but do any of you honestly do it for the goodreads challenge? Or if you do rereads, do you just only count them here?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I did participate last year, but I did occasionally take a look at the thread to see what people were reading. I'll sign up for 45 books and the Booklord Challenge this year.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Robot Mil posted:

screenwritersblues can you amend my entry please? Should read 35 books rather than 30. I have to say I'm in awe of those of you aiming for ~100 books, I have no idea how you do it. Maybe once I've finished my doctorate in a couple of years I'll aim for one a week...

Fixed

Chamberk posted:

Given that now I have a small child around, I'll be estimating down - I'll aim at 50 to start, though I can probably do up to 75.

One challenge I'm going to give to myself has less to do with reading and more to do with buying: I'm going to read only books I've bought already, no purchases until at least June.

Booklord challenge as well? Also, I'm doing this too. I'm only going to buying the 33 1/3 series from the Strand when I go into NYC once a month, so no new books till at least August.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Robot Mil posted:

I used to get a lot more reading done when I was in university, personally; it was a good half-hour walk to campus, during which I couldn't really work on my thesis, but I could read. Read walking to campus, read walking from campus, read during office hours because none of the students ever show up for them, read while waiting for my simulations to run, read in line at the cafeteria, read just because I've spent the entire day balls deep in LaTeX and I can't write another line today.

These days I have a 9-5 job and a toddler who thinks that books and e-readers rightly belong to him, not his parents, so I pretty much only get to read during lunch at work and sometimes, in the evenings, after the toddlebot has gone to sleep -- if I'm still awake myself. My reading has dropped way off now that I no longer spend 1h+ on a "commute" that I can read during, and can no longer just drop everything in the middle of the day and go "gently caress it, I'm taking a break and reading for an hour or three to let my brain grow back". :(

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
My situation is similar to ToxicFrog's; have small children and a full-time job (actually my most reliable reading time is on the bus commute to and from work). Before, I could easily get through two or three average-sized books per week, and kept that up from middle school through university and the first several years post-graduation. Back then, 150 books in a year would be a modest goal for me, 200 would be possible.

It was the kids that did it, really. They steal your time but also your ability to concentrate. When my wife was going into the hospital to give birth to #1, I correctly presumed there would be a lot of waiting time, so I brought a big book along (Toll the Hounds, #8 in the Malazan Books of the Fallen series). I had some leave and vacation time and was absent from work for... I believe it was six weeks. Was still reading the same drat book. And when the next in the series came out a year later I had to reread it because I couldn't remember a drat thing I'd read.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Going for the Booklord Challenge and at least 40 books total this year.

edit: Might as well toss my Goodreads account on the pile too: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/17666768-eric

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Groke posted:

My situation is similar to ToxicFrog's; have small children and a full-time job (actually my most reliable reading time is on the bus commute to and from work).

For a few months just after he was born, I was actually commuting by bus and got a huge amount of reading done. The problem is that there's no direct bus service between the two cities -- I mean, there is in the sense that you can get on a bus and eventually arrive there without transferring, but all the bus routes go via a different city first. So I was leaving the house at 7 to arrive at work shortly before 9, and leaving work at 1630 to get home after 1800.

If I commute directly by car, on the other hand, it's 25 minutes each way. I miss the reading time, but I don't miss the nearly 12-hour days.

• Locked thread