Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Bunkbed
Jul 27, 2007
You are now.
Does anyone here have an FE 1080? I'm interested in hearing about (har har) how loud you personally think the cooler is. I have a pretty small case with kinda poor airflow, so I was thinking that a blower-style exhaust system might be better for me. At the same time, I don't want my PC to sound like it's going to take off when I game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

What is the TDP of the 480 supposed to be? Obviously it's not higher than 150w due to the 6-pin, but is is substantially more energy efficient than say, the GTX 970?

It's 150W. As far as we know it's closer to the 980 in performance, and that had a 165W TDP but actually pulled about 185W.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
:laugh:
https://www.thestreet.com/story/13592466/1/advanced-micro-devices-amd-stock-tumbles-after-pricing-graphics-chips.html?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO

quote:

Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Stock Tumbles After Pricing Graphics Chips

Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) shares are down after pricing its graphics chips to power virtual reality software at $199, below comparable products that cost about $399.
(Not sure 3% counts as "tumbling" but whatever)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Intel/AMD TDPs are the practical maximum amount of power draw before messing about with voltage, while Nvidia TDPs circa Maxwell are more or less what Intel calls "SDP" because it reflects a 80% GPU load on stock speeds. Not sure what the story is with Pascal, but presumably the 1080's TDP is actually closer to a real one than an SDP.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Zero VGS posted:

What is the TDP of the 480 supposed to be? Obviously it's not higher than 150w due to the 6-pin, but is is substantially more energy efficient than say, the GTX 970?

No, the RX480 has pretty garbage power efficiency for a FinFET product. GCN is just an inferior design to whatever Nvidia puts out. The 1060 will beat this just based on 1080 benchmarks. Also Vega will get beat by the 1080 as well, since even if you assume 50% scaling in CF, Vega will have no OC headroom, hell the RX480 is completely tapped out.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

Also for the life of me I don't understand the idea of a competitively priced product (which seems to be attracting some attention and demand), would cause investors to balk. I mean I guess how competitive the product is will be seen once reviews hit and benchmarks are out there.

I have an R9 280 now that seems to be failing, but rather than RMA it, I'm thinking about replacing it now that these new models are arriving. I was thinking about a 1070 before but now this option for ~$200 (more if I get the 8GB) certainly is tempting.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Not sure what the story is with Pascal, but presumably the 1080's TDP is actually closer to a real one than an SDP.

Yeah it looks like they stopped fudging the numbers with Pascal. 1080 TDP is 180W and Toms Hardware measured 173W.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Wexia posted:

Also for the life of me I don't understand the idea of a competitively priced product (which seems to be attracting some attention and demand), would cause investors to balk. I mean I guess how competitive the product is will be seen once reviews hit and benchmarks are out there.

I have an R9 280 now that seems to be failing, but rather than RMA it, I'm thinking about replacing it now that these new models are arriving. I was thinking about a 1070 before but now this option for ~$200 (more if I get the 8GB) certainly is tempting.

Unless AMD demolishes nVidia on performance and bang-for-buck, they're always going to lose shares. nvidia's mindshare, along with the amd sucks meme, is too prevalent in the minds of their audiences, and thus, investors.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lord Wexia posted:

Also for the life of me I don't understand the idea of a competitively priced product (which seems to be attracting some attention and demand), would cause investors to balk.

Perhaps they are concerned about AMD's ability to make a decent profit (recoup their long investment) off those aggressive prices.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

PerrineClostermann posted:

Unless AMD demolishes nVidia on performance and bang-for-buck, they're always going to lose shares. nvidia's mindshare, along with the amd sucks meme, is too prevalent in the minds of their audiences, and thus, investors.

I promise the market is more intelligent than that. 3% drop is because the products announced aren't as exciting/available/cheap as expected. 3% isn't exactly tumbling though.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Most companies have these kind of drops after big announcements, which are result of cycles of speculation as much as a real reaction to anything. The stock market is weird.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Naffer posted:

I'm looking forward to replacing my HD5700 with a 480. That should be a nice jump too.

HD5700 buddy! I was actually coming here to check if now would be a good time to replace my card but the last few pages seem to indicate there is a cheaper alternative to the 970 I was contemplating so waiting would be a much better idea.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
AMD stock prices tumble to lows that haven't been seen since May 27th!

Though if investors aren't enthused it's because they are questioning AMD playing in a space that usually doesn't have a great margin. Investors don't care if the card is a great bang-for-your-buck, they care if it will create profit, and announcing two cards in the $200 and $250 slot usually don't drive tons of profit.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
People seem to be under the impression sony and ms are putting rx480's in the new consoles

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Subjunctive posted:

Perhaps they are concerned about AMD's ability to make a decent profit (recoup their long investment) off those aggressive prices.

That's it basically, margins.

The investors are making assumptions about the cost of the product based on relative performance levels and coming to the conclusion that AMD has a much slimmer profit margin. That could be fine if they were also the volume leader, but they are not.

So, they see the competition killing them on margins and volume.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If AMD only loses $20 on each one then they will become profitable if they sell enough

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

The Devil Tesla posted:

Most companies have these kind of drops after big announcements, which are result of cycles of speculation as much as a real reaction to anything. The stock market is weird.
Yeah post announcement movement is dumb, I just thought the headline was amusing.

Lockback posted:

AMD stock prices tumble to lows that haven't been seen since May 27th!

Though if investors aren't enthused it's because they are questioning AMD playing in a space that usually doesn't have a great margin. Investors don't care if the card is a great bang-for-your-buck, they care if it will create profit, and announcing two cards in the $200 and $250 slot usually don't drive tons of profit.
AMD also has that whole other side of the business, but I have no clue how people thought about the CPU news. Some new mobile CPUs/APUs, Zen still 2017 basically?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

FaustianQ posted:

No, the RX480 has pretty garbage power efficiency for a FinFET product. GCN is just an inferior design to whatever Nvidia puts out. The 1060 will beat this just based on 1080 benchmarks. Also Vega will get beat by the 1080 as well, since even if you assume 50% scaling in CF, Vega will have no OC headroom, hell the RX480 is completely tapped out.

(citation needed)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

AMD revealed a zen logo

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ninkobei posted:

(citation needed)

The napkin math doesn't look good

GTX 1070 (150W) ≈ Titan X (250W)
-> Pascal ~40% more efficient than Maxwell

RX 480 (150W) ≈ GTX 980 (185W actual)
-> Polaris ~19% more efficient than Maxwell

e: whoops

repiv fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 1, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
.....280?

renojiin
Oct 26, 2005
College Slice

The Whiz Kid posted:

Does anyone here have an FE 1080? I'm interested in hearing about (har har) how loud you personally think the cooler is. I have a pretty small case with kinda poor airflow, so I was thinking that a blower-style exhaust system might be better for me. At the same time, I don't want my PC to sound like it's going to take off when I game.

Hi. I am an idiot, probably.

I mean I have the FE. If you have the fan on 100% it is pretty loud, but at 50-60% I have to really be paying attention to pick it out of the background of everything else going on.

50-60% is probably all you need to keep the throttling under control, even with a mild overclock. Playing Witcher 3 on Ultra at 3440x1440 has been running the fan at around 45-50% max with temps around 82-83ish, as an example.

I know at least EVGA has a cheaper blower model but I don't know how good/quiet that is.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Don Lapre posted:

People seem to be under the impression sony and ms are putting rx480's in the new consoles

The ~rumor mill~ around the PS4++ was saying something like a 4.1tflop GPU target, while the Xbone++ was looking to go big at 6tflops. I guess the 4TF number would fit a downclocked x480 or die harvested version?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

How gigantic would that chip be on the xbone. They couldn't fit more than 16 rops in originally and how they are gonna do what, 32? 48?

edit: forgot they would be moving to 14nm

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

repiv posted:

The napkin math doesn't look good

GTX 1070 (150W) ≈ Titan X (250W)
-> Pascal ~40% more efficient than Maxwell

RX 480 (150W) ≈ GTX 980 (185W actual)
-> Polaris ~19% more efficient than Maxwell

e: whoops

Just a few posts back someone said that AMD and Nvidia might not be using the same definition of TDP so the assumption that it's this simple is questionable to me.

Moreover, isn't it possible that the 1070 and 480 have different amounts of OC headroom and can't be taken as comparably representative of their generations in this way? If the 480 is a smaller chip that's running close to its limits while the 1070 is larger but more reined in, then the former might use a disproportionate amount of power at stock settings but be capable of similarly efficient operation at lower settings - that is, lower performance but much lower power use than it currently has producing a higher perf/watt.

Basically, we don't really have the kind of data needed to make these conclusions yet and I don't know how we could until both cards are released or at least have some really comprehensive reviews published.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 1, 2016

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Eletriarnation posted:

Just a few posts back someone said that AMD and Nvidia might not be using the same definition of TDP so the assumption that it's this simple is questionable to me.

The Titan X and 1080 have been measured and shown to respect their TDPs, so I'm assuming the 1070 does as well. I'm using the 980s actual power draw rather than it's :airquote: TDP :airquote:

And is the scenario you describe any better for AMD? If they're having to redline their chips to get competitive price:performance then Nvidia wins the overclocker market by default (again).

I'm well aware this is :speculate: but what else is there to do until the 29th? :v:

repiv fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 1, 2016

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape
Everyone's (intel, AMD, and Nvidia) TDP numbers are pretty honest. What most people forget is that TDP is predicated on stock boost clock speeds, and literally everyone overclocks GPUs to the point you have to go out of your way to buy a non-overclocked one.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

filthychimp posted:

Everyone's (intel, AMD, and Nvidia) TDP numbers are pretty honest. What most people forget is that TDP is predicated on stock boost clock speeds, and literally everyone overclocks GPUs to the point you have to go out of your way to buy a non-overclocked one.

No, even the stock 970 has an average power consumption 20 watts greater than its TDP. In comparison the stock 290X has an average power consumption about 50 watts less than its stated TDP.

NVIDIA is notorious for fudging their TDP numbers, and this is by no means an "everyone does it" thing. What NVIDIA is measuring is more like an average TDP than a maximum TDP like Intel and AMD use, and even considering this they understate their TDP quite considerably.

The other factor is that the blower cooler on most AMD cards is lovely and runs super hot (particularly in Quiet Mode). Aftermarket coolers tends to run cooler and reduce voltage leakage, which actually reduces the TDP somewhat given equivalent clocks. So aftermarket AMD cards will sometimes run at lower TDPs than their reference counterparts, despite being overclocked.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_970_Gaming/25.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/R9_290X_PCS_Plus/21.html

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 1, 2016

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I am debating right now whether to just sell my $300 Asus Strix GTX 980 that I got last summer and get back almost all of my money before the price drops.

Getting the RX 480 for $200 for the same performance sounds like a win.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 1, 2016

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Lungboy posted:

~£170 for the new AMD card to max out everything on my U2412M sounds like a good plan to me, coming from a gtx560. Even my wife couldn't complain about that, right?

So I had an old 550ti and went to a 380x, and the improvement was awesome. if this card is in the 200 range, i'd say pull the trigger.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

repiv posted:

The Titan X and 1080 have been measured and shown to respect their TDPs, so I'm assuming the 1070 does as well. I'm using the 980s actual power draw rather than it's :airquote: TDP :airquote:

And is the scenario you describe any better for AMD? If they're having to redline their chips to get competitive price:performance then Nvidia wins the overclocker market by default (again).

I'm well aware this is :speculate: but what else is there to do until the 29th? :v:

Having a big chip with a bad performance/watt curve does seem to be worse on some level than having a smaller one that is being pushed really hard into an inefficient part of its curve, because the second scenario implies that you could make a big chip based on the same architecture that would be more efficient at a higher performance level. I agree that it doesn't look great for AMD right now at the high end, since their top card is at a substantially lower tier than Nvidia's second one and they basically don't have a high end as a result, but the conclusions we draw from Polaris will help us make guesses about Vega which is the real future of AMD in that segment.

I'm also wondering just how much the high end matters outside of marketing and perception, because I would be willing to believe a lot of people never consider cards over a certain price point and delivering good performance at something like $200 might bring a lot more volume. Granted, the higher end cards almost certainly have better margins to make up for that.

It's fine to speculate, I just thought that extrapolating two specific models' power consumption + pre-release marketing performance numbers into an architectural efficiency comparison was a bit of a leap.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 2, 2016

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Green Gloves posted:

I am debating right now whether to just sell my $300 Asus Strix GTX 980 that I got last summer and get back almost all of my money before the price drops.

Getting the RX 480 for $200 for the same performance sounds like a win.

That sounds like a steal, and even if the 480 doesn't live up to expectations, that's not much to get to a 1070.

But as the great Toby Jones once said, "I'm kinda drunk right now."

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

That sounds like a steal, and even if the 480 doesn't live up to expectations, that's not much to get to a 1070.

But as the great Toby Jones once said, "I'm kinda drunk right now."

Well theres still 10 days til the 1070 drops. I might as well sell it considering I have a backlog of games on other systems.

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape

Paul MaudDib posted:

NVIDIA is notorious for fudging their TDP numbers, and this is by no means an "everyone does it" thing. What NVIDIA is measuring is more like an average TDP than a maximum TDP like Intel and AMD use, and even considering this they understate their TDP quite considerably.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_970_Gaming/25.html

The 970 review also shows they measured a 980 drawing 156W on Metro: Last Light, out of its 165W TDP. Like I said, it's a pretty honest measurement.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

filthychimp posted:

The 970 review also shows they measured a 980 drawing 156W on Metro: Last Light, out of its 165W TDP. Like I said, it's a pretty honest measurement.

I've seen numbers like this (http://www.hardware.fr/articles/928-7/consommation-efficacite-energetique.html) where aftermarket 970/980s can go screaming through to 200+W.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

If you actually stress a Maxwell part, ie with Firestrike or Doom Nightmare graphics settings, it will run upwards of 180-200w on stock clocks, which is a fair bit more than the 165w advertised. GM204 starts eating up to 300w should you actually try pushing the clock upwards of 40-50%, which makes it slightly more efficient than Hawaii for about 15% more performance.

At least it's not the shitshow that's GM206. Overclock it to 225w power draw.... to almost match a 280x! :thumbsup:

Pascal seems to stop at just under the stated 180, at least.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 2, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

If you actually stress a Maxwell part, ie with Firestrike or Doom Nightmare graphics settings, it will run upwards of 180-200w on stock clocks, which is a fair bit more than the 165w advertised. GM204 starts eating up to 300w should you actually try pushing the clock upwards of 40-50%. Which makes it slightly more efficient than Hawaii for about 15% more performance.

Pascal seems to stop at just under the stated 180, at least.

Looking forward to aftermarket card numbers for Pascal since reference Maxwell seems to have been more conscientious about its TDP.(I assume they haven't happened, right?)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

xthetenth posted:

Looking forward to aftermarket card numbers for Pascal since reference Maxwell seems to have been more conscientious about its TDP.(I assume they haven't happened, right?)

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1080_gaming_x_8g_review,8.html

Reference goes 3 or 4W over TDP in every review I've seen, aftermarket goes 18W over.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

repiv posted:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1080_gaming_x_8g_review,8.html

Reference goes 3 or 4W over TDP in every review I've seen, aftermarket goes 18W over.

Are there any reviews that actually measure the card rather than infer from system load? I don't really trust the system-load math to be accurate any tighter than 5W.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Are there any reviews that actually measure the card rather than infer from system load? I don't really trust the system-load math to be accurate any tighter than 5W.

Techpowerup and Tom's Hardware do but they haven't reviewed any non-reference cards yet.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080/24.html
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-pascal,review-33557-10.html

Actually TPU has it exceeding TDP slightly and Toms has it staying well within it. Weird.