Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I still do well with Torb on many maps, some less reasonable than others. For some reason I always have success on Route 66 attacking as Torb. Similarly, I've found good spots on every Illios map, defense on Anubis, Gibraltar, and Dorado. If you can find a spot that's hard to snipe or rocket it can be pretty good. The most-typical way I see the turret dealt with is a Junkrat Ult which is fine by me as I can hear it coming and get away from my turret. The trick is understanding that Torb himself can be a beast, and as has already been mentioned Molten Core makes it all the better.

For example, if you go to the left on Illios: Well, there's a spot you can get to that overlooks your side of the point and can shoot down into the open house with the health pack. It's relatively hard for the enemy to snipe or rocket the turret without having already locked-down the control point.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Dias posted:

So, I see people running away from Hanzo's and D.Va's ult, occasionally shooting tires down, even hiding from Tactical Visor sometimes! When do you reckon MOL-TEN COOOORE will be code for "STOP. PUSHING. RIGHT NOW."?

Never, apparently. Also, this thread moves fast so I don't know if the other goons in our group mentioned our "1 Symmetra, 5 Torbjorn" composition last night that devastated on Route 66 defense. The other team didn't get the objective around the first bend.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Anyone else having problems with the servers today? Getting lag and just got kicked from a game, of course when I was winning handily.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Defense teams with multiple torbjorns are big mean bullies :saddowns:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

gandlethorpe posted:

Just buffing Zenyatta to 200 HP seems a bit lazy. I like the idea of turning 25 of his health into armor. Prevents against one hit kill bodyshots and flavorful because he's metal.

I'd prefer a mobility skill rather than a health buff, but all his slots are occupied other than a passive ability.

Yattas dying to one Widowmaker shot is part of the lore tho. :colbert:

Also, whenever we lose to a turret character with a sniper on the team I'm baffled, honestly.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

The Gate posted:

His orbs do 45 damage, which is actually pretty high, though, soooo.

Out of curiosity, how much damage does a fully-charged shot do? From what I understand it's less useful than using left-click, but I'm just curious how useless it is.

Also from what I understand, Symmetra's charged shot is better off spammed for ult charge, but when your TP is up it's ok to fully-charge it?

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Defense teams with multiple torbjorns are big mean bullies :saddowns:

Pick Junkrat and feast.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Countblanc posted:

I mean the turret has 800 health and is doing practically unavoidable ~100 dps under molten core, that's nothing to sneeze at. I'd hardly call it a distraction, it can legit clear points if the enemy team doesn't get behind a shield quickly.

That kind of presupposes you/they are engaging with a level 2 tower up somewhere though. Which seems unlikely unless you've got some real creative positioning going on and/or you're playing a super disorganized pub.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I figured out how to make pubbies useful on AvD maps, as Reinhardt: charge past enemy line of defense because enemy pubbies will turn and attempt to chase you down.
Then you hope your one healer sits on the cart and gets 5-10 seconds of push time in before you're killed because QuickPlay is horrible.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
My post about the trendy 50% win rate many people are seeing has reached its post limit of 500 despite Jeff Kaplan attempting for a second time to discredit me by stating that its not true. The majority of players appear to have knowledge of this strange trend in game or in the forums and at some point, the root cause issue will need to be addressed.

The situation demands to be investigated and as such, I am opening this post to continue the discussion.

Perhaps blizzard does not intentionally force people towards a 50% ratio but the trends are still present.

One of the main complaint is not specifically towards the 50% ratio but the quality of the games that are encountered along the way to that 50% ratio. Stomps one side and stomps the other side. The main issue being that many feel that instead of being paired with other players of their skill level and having a 50% chance to win the match, they instead have a 50% chance to lose the match to the matchmaker before even starting the match. basically, turning the game into a glorified flip of a coin.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
These were not the results I expected when I loaded up the MasterOverwatch site:

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

FordCQC posted:

These were not the results I expected when I loaded up the MasterOverwatch site:

Wait, what?

Does that mean I'm Rank 269 globally? 70% winrate after 82 games played? Isn't that ridiculous?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

No it means that is a poo poo site with a tiny sample size.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Is there any indication when your mic is transmitting in-game? When I have my headset turned off, it'll throw up a little lightning bolt icon when I press `, but I don't seem to get anything when trying it normally.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Verranicus posted:

My post about the trendy 50% win rate many people are seeing has reached its post limit of 500 despite Jeff Kaplan attempting for a second time to discredit me by stating that its not true. The majority of players appear to have knowledge of this strange trend in game or in the forums and at some point, the root cause issue will need to be addressed.

The situation demands to be investigated and as such, I am opening this post to continue the discussion.

Perhaps blizzard does not intentionally force people towards a 50% ratio but the trends are still present.

One of the main complaint is not specifically towards the 50% ratio but the quality of the games that are encountered along the way to that 50% ratio. Stomps one side and stomps the other side. The main issue being that many feel that instead of being paired with other players of their skill level and having a 50% chance to win the match, they instead have a 50% chance to lose the match to the matchmaker before even starting the match. basically, turning the game into a glorified flip of a coin.

Yeah, for some reason people like to discredit this theory despite every other online FPS shooter where a single person can carry the team. Currently only Seagull and other Elites can buck the 50% trend, and that's probably because they're at the far right end of the bell curve unlike most games where it's generally the 75% and up that can drag their team into a win.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Verranicus posted:

he's right tho I'm clearly being sabotaged

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

As a crippled scrub I wish it forced a 50% win rate. :qq:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Atoramos posted:

Out of curiosity, how much damage does a fully-charged shot do? From what I understand it's less useful than using left-click, but I'm just curious how useless it is.

Also from what I understand, Symmetra's charged shot is better off spammed for ult charge, but when your TP is up it's ok to fully-charge it?

The charged balls are 35 damage per, so if you somehow nail someone with all 5 it'll be 175 damage. Throw a discord in there and it's 262, enough to oneshot everything except tanks and bastion.

Except that you never want to be sitting around charging while in LOS (just left click instead!) and discord won't stick long enough for you to do it around a corner.

The charge isn't really very useful except against stationary targets, though.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Atoramos posted:

Wait, what?

Does that mean I'm Rank 269 globally? 70% winrate after 82 games played? Isn't that ridiculous?

It seems to be based solely on total score earned with that character, so anyone that plays one character a lot will naturally end up with a high rank as them. It's a worthless metric.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Verranicus posted:

Wait so is he complaining that matchmaking shouldn't usher people towards a 50% winrate? How would that even work?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Holy God, I just had a match on Nepal where both teams had a Lucio and a Mercy. No one would die or stay dead so from the word go, the point was a giant eternal clusterfuck of bullets and rockets. People were building ults within seconds of each other, and the only time either team would make any progress is when an ult succeeded in scaring the other team into stepping off the point.

It was awesome.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I got laid off and was worried Overwatch would eat up my attention that should be paid toward getting new work.

But it turns out daytime play is abysmal and you play with the most selfish fuckheads imaginable. Seriously the amount of people who ever play anything helpful or even so much as stand with a tank plummets during west hemisphere daytime. I've even been like "poo poo I'll go healer but only if some of you switch to something that can protect a healer."

No changes. Okay. Spike the round then.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Broken Cog posted:

It seems to be based solely on total score earned with that character, so anyone that plays one character a lot will naturally end up with a high rank as them. It's a worthless metric.

yeah so picking an unpopular pub char and just spamming games with them gets you pretty far. thats why i was like #37 on zarya or something lol

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Wait so is he complaining that matchmaking shouldn't usher people towards a 50% winrate? How would that even work?

They think that if you go above or behind the 50% curve they match you with people way better/ way worse until you're forced back to the GOLDEN PERCENTAGE or whatever.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Atoramos posted:

I want to say the charged orbs are 40 each, so 200 total if you land them all? Might be a little lower than that, might be 35 each. The trick is that they spam out really quick so if you know you're about to come around a corner on someone, you can charge up and fire of the burst as you pop out for a nasty initial blast of damage, then start using the regular shots. Also good if you can peek on a bastion or sniper that's not moving much and force them to go heal.

I wouldn't use them normally if you're in the middle of a fight though, it is less damage and less dps due the charging time.

Symettra I don't play often but I tend to just spam out mostly charged orbs so that when they hit it hurts. It's pretty easy to get her ultimate ready regardless.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

anime was right posted:

yeah so picking an unpopular pub char and just spamming games with them gets you pretty far. thats why i was like #37 on zarya or something lol

i was 36 on psn with reinhardt at one point, yeah its a dumb metric

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

FordCQC posted:

Mostly I'm just referring to my baffling 2.6 KDR with Symmetra

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Lady Naga posted:

They think that if you go above or behind the 50% curve they match you with people way better/ way worse until you're forced back to the GOLDEN PERCENTAGE or whatever.

But they kinda do? Like, when you win a lot you go up in matchmaking and play against better people until you start losing again and eventually you'll hit 50%, and if you lose a lot eventually you'll play against people who are really bad and bounce up and down until eventually you hit where you should be. Like, they're just blindly complaining about how matchmaking works in general at this point, and even if there were a mechanism that did this it'd just be an accelerated version of regular matchmaking.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm getting really sick of teams that panic and half of them all go one character, or ignore the team balance guide and end up playing a team with mostly Defensive characters when were on Offense.

It usually happens when people see someone on either team just dominate as a particular character so they all switch to them, thinking they are OP. This most commonly happens with Bastion.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I got laid off and was worried Overwatch would eat up my attention that should be paid toward getting new work.

But it turns out daytime play is abysmal and you play with the most selfish fuckheads imaginable. Seriously the amount of people who ever play anything helpful or even so much as stand with a tank plummets during west hemisphere daytime. I've even been like "poo poo I'll go healer but only if some of you switch to something that can protect a healer."

No changes. Okay. Spike the round then.

Hey, unemployed buddy that figured out that daytime OW is not the best idea.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm getting really sick of teams that panic and half of them all go one character, or ignore the team balance guide and end up playing a team with mostly Defensive characters when were on Offense.

Remember that junkrat is classified as a defense hero, mainly because there isn't a "mayhem" class for heroes.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I just had a Widowmaker rage out, throw a bunch of slurs at me before telling me to go kill myself and ragequit after killing him three times in a row as Winston.

Huge success, would recommend.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

General Morden posted:

fun fact mccree is based off jesse mcree, a lead game designer at blizzard

So, Overwatch is really a series of Mary Stu self-insert masturbation fantasies then?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mister Macys posted:

So, Overwatch is really a series of Mary Stu self-insert masturbation fantasies then?

Quick, we need to find the real-life Mei.

...I had three randoms add me on battle.net, I was expecting salt but they didn't say anything to me and I can't remember if I was playing with them or against them. Huh.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

But they kinda do? Like, when you win a lot you go up in matchmaking and play against better people until you start losing again and eventually you'll hit 50%, and if you lose a lot eventually you'll play against people who are really bad and bounce up and down until eventually you hit where you should be. Like, they're just blindly complaining about how matchmaking works in general at this point, and even if there were a mechanism that did this it'd just be an accelerated version of regular matchmaking.

The difference is that they think that if you hit 55% winrate they match you against like Cloud 9-level players to shove you back down to 50% as a deliberate way to enforce their cultural marxist beta "everyone wins and everything is fair" mentality.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Remember that junkrat is classified as a defense hero, mainly because there isn't a "mayhem" class for heroes.

True, but I never see more than one Junkrat though. I understand that some D heroes can be helpful on Offense..but if the game lets you know "YOur team needs more whatever" Please be kind and change your hero so we MIGHT have a chance. I have two hours logged as Mercy because I keep hitting groups that do not want to play support.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

These people don't think it works like that. They think that the game has some automatic system where, if you have too many wins, the game will give you the worst teammates possible to guarantee that you lose.

Mostly it comes from having a retardedly huge ego and blaming every single loss on having a "bad team" while refusing to assign any blame to themselves.

Or at least that's how it works in Dota.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Lady Naga posted:

The difference is that they think that if you hit 55% winrate they match you against like Cloud 9-level players to shove you back down to 50% as a deliberate way to enforce their cultural marxist beta "everyone wins and everything is fair" mentality.

Why Is Communism Ruining Our Overwatch

<picture of Mei freezing the free market>

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Lady Naga posted:

"The nail that sticks up..." :tinfoil:

"Stop punishing success." :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

I think Bastion is still a strong hero, he just isn't a mindless one and isn't someone you can just "main" like Mccree and expect to do great unless you're just stomping pubs ala seagull. He shreds a lot of comps and is a strong counterpick, and if he in turn isn't counterpicked he can really buy your team a lot of time.

I really like swapping onto Bastion for the last 1/4 of a defense. Attack gets used to dodging junkrat bombs or something for three minutes then turn the final corner into the Bastion out of nowhere. Then you just drop into weird places a few times, ult their team away, then swap onto something else for the rest of the game. My normal Anubis lineup is Symmetra for A defense then Bastion at B until I ult, then Mercy for the rest of the defense.