Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Dias posted:

Why Is Communism Ruining Our Overwatch

<picture of Mei freezing the free market>

Mei walking down Wall Street and just freezing everyone she sees? Where do I buy my ticket to this movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

The Gate posted:

I want to say the charged orbs are 40 each, so 200 total if you land them all? Might be a little lower than that, might be 35 each. The trick is that they spam out really quick so if you know you're about to come around a corner on someone, you can charge up and fire of the burst as you pop out for a nasty initial blast of damage, then start using the regular shots. Also good if you can peek on a bastion or sniper that's not moving much and force them to go heal.

It's obviously way too early to speculate anything, but I wonder if blizzard would ever add/change abilities on heroes.

Maybe make zenyattas charged shot home into enemies with discord orb on them, but only do 50 damage with a full blast? Gives him a new niche in helping to deal with tracers or genjis, makes charge shot not useless, and gives a way for guaranteed DPS. Granted this doesn't fix his bigger issues right now.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

Mei walking down Wall Street and just freezing everyone she sees? Where do I buy my ticket to this movie?

here you go

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

BigRed0427 posted:

We can only hope that's how her short goes.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Primetime posted:

It's obviously way too early to speculate anything, but I wonder if blizzard would ever add/change abilities on heroes.

Maybe make zenyattas charged shot home into enemies with discord orb on them, but only do 50 damage with a full blast? Gives him a new niche in helping to deal with tracers or genjis, makes charge shot not useless, and gives a way for guaranteed DPS. Granted this doesn't fix his bigger issues right now.

They did in closed beta (RIP Bastion mine) but it's possible that now that it's a "finished game" they'll refuse to implement radical changes.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

cock hero flux posted:

Torbjorn hasn't because even though his turret isn't very good he's still actually a good fighter who can mix it up, deal good damage at pretty much all ranges, and throw out armor to his whole team. The problem is that people play him like the Engineer and sit around smacking the turret all day instead of setting it up and then going off to murder people and collect scrap to make the team stronger. If the turret didn't exist he'd still be a solid defensive hero.

Yeah, Toblerone is a great character, people just play him wrong. Drop the turret at a chokepoint, and then run around playing as a support/shotgun combo. His weapon is actually pretty good, and he has solid survivability with his armor.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
although mei is really into building walls so maybe she's actually on the side of the oligarchy

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I love winning games, but I hate losing games. That's why I award Overwatch's matchmaking a 5/10.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think I'm just going to give up on anyone who isn't Mercy. It seems that being a fussy mom that herds her kittens everywhere, occasionally screaming USELESS CUNTS when annoyed, does far more for a broken team than anything else.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I got laid off and was worried Overwatch would eat up my attention that should be paid toward getting new work.

But it turns out daytime play is abysmal and you play with the most selfish fuckheads imaginable. Seriously the amount of people who ever play anything helpful or even so much as stand with a tank plummets during west hemisphere daytime. I've even been like "poo poo I'll go healer but only if some of you switch to something that can protect a healer."

No changes. Okay. Spike the round then.

Holy poo poo are we the same person? I'm also really disappointed in the console crowd for not playing the team advantage and having multiple tanks getting in each others' way; or worse, dual McCree's calling out their High Noon in the same area at the same time. Seriously, just wait ten drat seconds.

I'm at least really enjoying the offense and harassment Lucio can bring to any map.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Lady Naga posted:

They think that if you go above or behind the 50% curve they match you with people way better/ way worse until you're forced back to the GOLDEN PERCENTAGE or whatever.

1. I assume they'd turn that off in competitive mode

2. It's kind of weird and the stomp/stomped back and forth should get fixed, but purposeful design choices that discourage competitive min/max obsession and encourage scrubs to have fun (re: win) shouldn't be that shocking to find in OW. I'm not sure about the specific choice here but I think the philosophy is a good idea overall. Those people are going to play no matter what, don't lose 10 new people to fatigue for the 1 who's actually going to toss the game in the trash because of matchmaking algorithms.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

They need to nerf Mei because she's too much fun and I have a hard time convincing myself to play anyone else unless absolutely necessary.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

I've heard a couple of the pro players talking on stream about blizzard devs looking at nerfs for McCree and buffs for D.va, I can understand McCree, but I'm having loads of success as D.Va. She doesn't work as well on defense, but she breaks up defenders so well with all her mobility. I guess you could lower the cool down on her E to give her some more tankyness.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

TheTofuShop posted:

I've heard a couple of the pro players talking on stream about blizzard devs looking at nerfs for McCree and buffs for D.va, I can understand McCree, but I'm having loads of success as D.Va. She doesn't work as well on defense, but she breaks up defenders so well with all her mobility. I guess you could lower the cool down on her E to give her some more tankyness.

I really like D.Va but I'd like her a lot more if she could move at a decent pace while shooting.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

gandlethorpe posted:

I just learned the origin of the disembodied voice I hear occasionally that doesn't sound like any hero. Turns out the Hollywood payload has a robot director in it bitching at the attacking team from time to time. :aaaaa:

And his name is Hal-fred Glitchbot. :haw:

"Jesse McCree? That's a terrible name for a cowboy!"

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i like playing torb where i am the distraction and the turret is the backup firepower. like on hanamura point A defense put it on the upper walkway towards the B point where it can overlook the courtyard in front of A. then hang out on the other side of the courtyard guarding the window/door and retreat back to pull the attackers into your kill zone with their backs to the turret

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Orange Crush Rush posted:

"Jesse McCree? That's a terrible name for a cowboy!"

McCree giving Reaper poo poo for throwing guns away is great, but Reaper biting back and calling him Jesse always cracks me the gently caress up. :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've actually found Torb to be pretty useful on offense depending on team comp. The turret makes a fantastic back-line defense as long as you keep moving it up with your team. It gives pre-warning and strong defense against flankers and Torb's amazingly kickass gun means he's actually pretty effective at shooting through Rein's shield and helping take down enemies just a as a frontline fighter. You don't want it on a team with three Winstons or whatever but if you're eating a lot of Reaper/Tracer harass it helps a lot.

Edit: and if the enemy team isn't smart enough to shut it down sticking one on a payload is of course a great time.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I can confirm that blizz is not forcing a 50% win/loss because I'm at 25% and still losing

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Countblanc posted:

I think Bastion is still a strong hero, he just isn't a mindless one and isn't someone you can just "main" like Mccree and expect to do great unless you're just stomping pubs ala seagull. He shreds a lot of comps and is a strong counterpick, and if he in turn isn't counterpicked he can really buy your team a lot of time.
Yeah, he's not a brick wall and doesn't show up every game, but he can still blunt an offense just by showing up at an unexpected spot and mowing down two people. Calling him a nonentity is a stretch.

One of my more brutal losses was on the japan map from a mercy/bastion combo in the corner with a roaming roadhog. We couldn't dislodge that with two genjis, though in retrospect it may've been a situation to go widowmaker.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

1. I assume they'd turn that off in competitive mode

They don't have to turn anything off because it doesn't exist.

TheTofuShop posted:

D.Va is a tank made of tissue paper with an incredibly easy to avoid ult.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Pumpy Dumper posted:

I can confirm that blizz is not forcing a 50% win/loss because I'm at 25% and still losing
Don't worry, speaking from experience it'll pick up a bit as you finally get properly sorted into the trash tier. I'm now at about 33%. :downs:

It really does get noticeable over time though, to the point where it's really noticeable when there's someone competent on the other side and they run roughshod over your group of toddlers and invalids.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

TheTofuShop posted:

D.Va has problems in that her abilities are at odds with themselves. She can't tank any real damage without her E ability because her hitbox and her crit hitbox especially are huge. She has mobility, but moves slow as hell when actually engaging in a fight. This slowness means that she can't chase the person she used her boost to flank while they just kind of wander away from the fight. Getting in on choice picks like a support or their widowmaker that's murdering your team would be great, but she has so much trouble following up on the flanking maneuver. Mercy can fly away to a teammate who then turns around and murders you from afar. Lucio can speed boost away while grinding on a wall. Hanzo will climb a wall. Widowmaker will grappling hook away, flip around as she falls and plug you twice in the face with 300 damage headshots in two seconds flat. Winston essentially does what she does, only better.

And it's a pity, since I do actually find her quite fun to play.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Maybe they do and you just troll the poo poo out of people so hard they bail on the game? I dunno, do you trash talk or anything?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I've only played a few hours but I loved the look of Reinhardt but he appears to be kind of terrible. Takes a long time to kill, but it feels like basically anyone can kill me by shooting me from range or at a height.

Is there some magic tactic that makes him good, or is he as bad as he seems?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
think of matchmaking as a number range for each player and whoever has the highest number wins. in several scenarios the number gap will be wide enough between the two teams that yeah you'll see some loving stomps. the range should account for playing something you're comfortable with, a good matchup, feelin' good that day, maybe you had a red bull, or the opposite: you're practicing a new dude, or you don't know that map very well, or you just got off a 12 hour shift after 3 hours of sleep and are grumpy as all heck.

when you have such a wide variance, you cannot accurately take a weighted number and make great games 100% of the time. it is not possible and becomes less and less possible the larger number of options a game presents, external variables arise, and the more players you insert.

matchmaking rating numbers should be imagined as a range or a set or a pattern. you cannot look at a single game and go "matchmaking sucks" because perhaps maybe...

it is u the one who sucks (in 3/10 games relative to other players of your skill level)

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
The lack of mobility wasn't an issue back when her guns did actual damage and you could fly in, burst someone in the time it takes your shift to come off cooldown, then fly away.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

anime was right posted:

think of matchmaking as a number range for each player and whoever has the highest number wins. in several scenarios the number gap will be wide enough between the two teams that yeah you'll see some loving stomps. the range should account for playing something you're comfortable with, a good matchup, feelin' good that day, maybe you had a red bull, or the opposite: you're practicing a new dude, or you don't know that map very well, or you just got off a 12 hour shift after 3 hours of sleep and are grumpy as all heck.

when you have such a wide variance, you cannot accurately take a weighted number and make great games 100% of the time. it is not possible and becomes less and less possible the larger number of options a game presents, external variables arise, and the more players you insert.

matchmaking rating numbers should be imagined as a range or a set or a pattern. you cannot look at a single game and go "matchmaking sucks" because perhaps maybe...

it is u the one who sucks (in 3/10 games relative to other players of your skill level)

also the matchmaking could just Be Bad but it honestly hasnt been that bad for me. i played a lot of games and after about 100ish the game should get a good idea of where you're really at.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

yook posted:

Yeah, he's not a brick wall and doesn't show up every game, but he can still blunt an offense just by showing up at an unexpected spot and mowing down two people. Calling him a nonentity is a stretch.

One of my more brutal losses was on the japan map from a mercy/bastion combo in the corner with a roaming roadhog. We couldn't dislodge that with two genjis, though in retrospect it may've been a situation to go widowmaker.

I think Genji is honestly less of a counter than people say. It relies on Bastion not being shielded and not being dumb as rocks if we're talking about the reflect. He can peek and hit with left click but several people can do that more effectively

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Gort posted:

I've only played a few hours but I loved the look of Reinhardt but he appears to be kind of terrible. Takes a long time to kill, but it feels like basically anyone can kill me by shooting me from range or at a height.

I'm just gonna post this again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixmmd5AL_eQ

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

TheTofuShop posted:

She sucks but it's not a problem when the people you're playing against aren't good.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Gort posted:

If you arent walking the rest of your team up to the objective and providing them mobile cover to fire from, you arent reinhardting correctly. He is extremely good, but you do usually need your team to make use of his strengths.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gort posted:

Hard to judge a character based on a "few hours" but I think general consensus is Reinhardt is a good, true tank. Play more and git gud bruv. I'm terrible with all tank characters.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Gort posted:

Reinhardt is a big wall that protects his team from everything in front of them. Stay with the team, they have guns and will shoot things you can't reach while you protect them.

In terms of actual 1v1 fighting he can't really kill anyone unless they willingly get close to him but that's not his job. His job is to be a big fat wall that the team stands behind. If someone gets close to the wall he can whack them with his hammer or instakill them with his charge but as far as dealing with people at long range just put the wall up and let someone with a gun handle it.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I think Genji is honestly less of a counter than people say. It relies on Bastion not being shielded and not being dumb as rocks if we're talking about the reflect. He can peek and hit with left click but several people can do that more effectively

Reflect is the counter to bad Bastions and it works great for that; coming in from the side and dashing in for right clicks and melee is the counter to good ones.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
reinhardt is probably one of the most balanced chars in the game imo?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

That's loving rad. OK, maybe as I get matched with better players my impression of him will improve.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Gort posted:

Reinhardt relies on your teammates which means basically just skip him until you've got a bunch of wins under your belt because your teammates are literally too stupid to stand behind your huge awesome shield and they won't get better at it until you've got some experience, mmr gains, etc

Brosnan posted:

Reflect is the counter to bad Bastions and it works great for that; coming in from the side and dashing in for right clicks and melee is the counter to good ones.

Right but if we're talking about a scenario where he's shielded in a corner or whatever, Genji isn't going to break that.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Gort posted:

I've only played a few hours but I loved the look of Reinhardt but he appears to be kind of terrible.

his charge is hilariously strong, and using it to pick off someone out of position and then going back to shielding is amazing

Nehru the Damaja posted:

genji's far scarier when he shows up behind and my snap reaction is just to turn while already blasting the minigun, reflecting before i'm oriented

but then again i am terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Anytime you pick D.Va, reconsider and pick Winston instead.

Signed, someone who initially planned to main D.Va and now has most hours as Winston.