Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I'm in healthcare and word from on high is "There are enough people to get the work done now, so get the work done!" Nevermind we've been doing 60-hour weeks for nearly a year and are in this pickle because people said we didn't need to hire more workers last year.

It's just blind "a person can do x many work units per hour, therefore they should be able to do y many weekly, set expectations 10% higher to make sure they're working. Alright, what's for lunch?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Housing pricing is just hosed in general in North America as a whole. That doesn't really surprise me. Which makes me very sad.

I don't know if I buy that. It's definitely true in a handful of very metropolitan areas, but there are a lot of nice midsize cities where you can get single family homes in what I'd call desirable areas for 200k. My parents live in a quiet but increasingly suburban area outside of Rochester, NY and their 3 bedroom / 2 bath house on two acres is worth about 175.

If you want to be in NYC, DC, SF and some other places like that, yes, it's practically unaffordable if you don't make 200k a year.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I don't know if I buy that. It's definitely true in a handful of very metropolitan areas, but there are a lot of nice midsize cities where you can get single family homes in what I'd call desirable areas for 200k. My parents live in a quiet but increasingly suburban area outside of Rochester, NY and their 3 bedroom / 2 bath house on two acres is worth about 175.

If you want to be in NYC, DC, SF and some other places like that, yes, it's practically unaffordable if you don't make 200k a year.

I live in Charlotte, NC which is becoming a nice tech/software hub (due to the banking and healthcare industries). I just bought a 4br 3000sqft house 30 minutes from work for $196k; at first my wife and I were worried about being in the sticks but we found out that we're close to everything we could ever want except a Publix (I'm going to miss bringing home Pubsubs for dinner).

People think you have to be in Silicon Valley or NYC to live a good life as a tech-bro, but the well-known software hubs are basically unlivable.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I know we generally talk about unicorns here but what happens when unicorns cross into real business.

Do you know Walmart has an internal facebook where it seems Supervisors and above have to say nice things about each other and cheer each other on. This board is also only seen by the area Supervisors and above but it's unicorn stuff for a business whose individual units outprofit pretty much any unicorn in existence.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

anonumos posted:

I live in Charlotte, NC which is becoming a nice tech/software hub (due to the banking and healthcare industries). I just bought a 4br 3000sqft house 30 minutes from work for $196k; at first my wife and I were worried about being in the sticks but we found out that we're close to everything we could ever want except a Publix (I'm going to miss bringing home Pubsubs for dinner).

People think you have to be in Silicon Valley or NYC to live a good life as a tech-bro, but the well-known software hubs are basically unlivable.
This just depends on how you define liveable. If you want a detached SFH for a reasonable price, then yes, your definition is correct. On the other hand, if you define liveability as having walkable/bikeable/transit-friendly neighborhoods, then all those cheaper places are unliveable. "Liveable" is sort of like "hipster" in that it morphs to the speakers' biases, it seems to basically just mean "has the amenities and features that I personally appreciate".

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The issue is that you always have that one manager or executive that starts thinking "wait, hey we can have people work 90 hour weeks from time to time? Why don't we do that all the time?"

It also doesn't help that there just never seems to be enough developers around, ever. Competent programmers are never, ever, ever cheap and software development isn't a fast process at all so of course you also have execs saying "hey how do we get more out of these super expensive guys we're paying?"

Serious question, have you ever worked at a reasonably well-regarded software company or are you just trying to cobble together how things are based on things you've read/your guess of how the world works? In general it kind of sucks to work as a developer at a company where software isn't the main product (profit generator versus cost center), but most competent software developers at good companies have things pretty good these days.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Housing pricing is just hosed in general in North America as a whole. That doesn't really surprise me. Which makes me very sad.

Yeah, the least affordable market in North America (relative to local incomes) is not really reflective of North America as a whole.

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 31, 2016

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

sbaldrick posted:

Do not move to Vancouver unless you want to enjoy the worlds most rear end-rapey overpriced housing market.

This is a real listing from Vancouver right now

http://www.point2homes.com/CA/Home-For-Sale/BC/Vancouver/Sunset/495-E-61ST-AVENUE/26130115.html

1.7M CAD is a bit less than 1.2 M EUR, and 1750 sqft is about 160 m². That's about 975 CAD per sqft or 7 500 EUR per m². You have an actual house and some land, so if you want to change things, it's pretty feasable.

http://www.explorimmo.com/annonce-7040370.html

170 k EUR is a bit more than 240 CAD, and 6,72 m² is about 70 sqft. That's about 3 250 CAD per sqft or 25 000 EUR per m². It's on the last floor (probably 6th) without a lift, you don't have a kitchen, but you've got a nice view of Paris and you're in the centre of the city.

(Not turning this into a "my housing market is worse than yours" thread, but there are plenty of overpriced housing markets.)

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The issue is that you always have that one manager or executive that starts thinking "wait, hey we can have people work 90 hour weeks from time to time? Why don't we do that all the time?"

It also doesn't help that there just never seems to be enough developers around, ever. Competent programmers are never, ever, ever cheap and software development isn't a fast process at all so of course you also have execs saying "hey how do we get more out of these super expensive guys we're paying?"

This is just a general failing of management in general. Mill operators don't want to work 70 weeks for months on end either, who would have thought?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

sbaldrick posted:

I know we generally talk about unicorns here but what happens when unicorns cross into real business.

Do you know Walmart has an internal facebook where it seems Supervisors and above have to say nice things about each other and cheer each other on. This board is also only seen by the area Supervisors and above but it's unicorn stuff for a business whose individual units outprofit pretty much any unicorn in existence.

Did a bunch of idiots from Sears move into positions at Wal-Mart? Because this is poo poo that happened at Sears. Their Randroid CEO even had sockpuppet accounts where he'd do poo poo like argue with cashiers.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
In the ongoing fun of Theranos' Elizabeth Holmes...

quote:

Last year, Elizabeth Holmes topped the FORBES list of America’s Richest Self-Made Women with a net worth of $4.5 billion. Today, FORBES is lowering our estimate of her net worth to nothing. Theranos had no comment.

Our estimate of Holmes’ wealth is based entirely on her 50% stake in Theranos, the blood-testing company she founded in 2003 with plans of revolutionizing the diagnostic test market. Theranos shares are not traded on any stock market; private investors purchased stakes in 2014 at a price that implied a $9 billion valuation for the company.

Since then, Theranos has been hit with allegations that its tests are inaccurate and is being investigated by an alphabet soup of federal agencies. That, plus new information indicating Theranos’ annual revenues are less than $100 million, has led FORBES to come up with a new, lower estimate of Theranos’ value.

FORBES spoke to a dozen venture capitalists, analysts and industry experts and concluded that a more realistic value for Theranos is $800 million, rather than $9 billion. That gives the company credit for its intellectual property and the $724 million that it has raised, according to VC Experts, a venture capital research firm. It also represents a generous multiple of the company’s sales, which FORBES learned about from a person familiar with Theranos’ finances.

At such a low valuation, Holmes’ stake is essentially worth nothing. Theranos investors own preferred shares, which means they get paid back before Holmes, who owns common stock. According to VC Experts, investors in Theranos own a particular kind of preferred equity, called participating preferred shares, which take precedence to common stock in the event of a liquidation. FORBES is not aware of any plans to liquidate. If that were to happen, participating preferred investors would get their money back and more before Holmes gets a cent.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Liquid Communism posted:

:allears:

Absolutely no self-reflection on their part in promoting this nonsense. "Oh, well, we valued her in a certain way because of this indirect process and now this indirect process says bad stuff so we're updating, oh by the way the investments were hella dirty, probably should have mentioned that before putting her on our list last time. We are a respectable magazine."

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Absurd Alhazred posted:

oh by the way the investments were hella dirty

Tell me more, I like dirty term sheet stories. What was up with Theranos' sheets?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Tell me more, I like dirty term sheet stories. What was up with Theranos' sheets?
Her stock was common and all the investor's was preferred, so if the company takes a writedown or goes bust she doesn't even get the table scraps, sucks for her!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gail Wynand posted:

Her stock was common and all the investor's was preferred, so if the company takes a writedown or goes bust she doesn't even get the table scraps, sucks for her!

I don't think liquidation preferences are really evidence of a dirty term sheet. You'd be hard pressed to find a sheet without them over the last 20 years.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

eschaton posted:

Did a bunch of idiots from Sears move into positions at Wal-Mart? Because this is poo poo that happened at Sears. Their Randroid CEO even had sockpuppet accounts where he'd do poo poo like argue with cashiers.

While I had heard about the Sears one I had no idea Wal-Mart had one. I had to verify it was a family member that manages one. They may also be required to check the message board during downtime in order to pump each other up but that I haven't be able to verify.

Wal-mart has always been super Randish but this explains some of the stupid poo poo they have done recently.

Liquid Communism posted:

I honestly would love to see the value of some stocks on the private market right now with venture capitals and things bailing out.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

To be honest I doubt that even 25% of people in this thread understand what a dirty term sheet is. I'm pretty sure Absurd Alhazred doesn't.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

I don't think liquidation preferences are really evidence of a dirty term sheet. You'd be hard pressed to find a sheet without them over the last 20 years.
The founder having no preferred stock at all is unusual, you have to admit. I guess we don't know if she had some and cashed it out, though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Uber just got $3.5 billion from Saudi Arabia's public investment fund, which makes them the company's largest investor now

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/02/t...v=top-news&_r=0

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

FlamingLiberal posted:

Uber just got $3.5 billion from Saudi Arabia's public investment fund, which makes them the company's largest investor now

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/02/t...v=top-news&_r=0

That is a horrible investment for that Saudi's who need a company that will create real capital.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

sbaldrick posted:

Home Depot has something similar.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
If the company is worth 800 million right now of which 724 million were raised by preferred shares, I'm not entirely sure how that'd leave Holmes with almost nothing after liquidation.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The new iteration of our MRP solution has a Facebook like social feature where you can like, I dunno post stuff that's linked from your databases into your project group or whatever. It's supposed to be integrated into how tasks are assigned to employees too but we have no plans to use it so I have no idea how effective it will actually be for companies large enough to use it properly. I can see it being useful but if it's used to enforce a weird corporate culture like Wal Mart it becomes creepy and if you don't get buy in from your employees then it's useless.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Aliquid posted:

what's weird about my degree is that i'm about to graduate with a focus in ethics and all my classes have hammered home empathy nonstop

the only ideas i have about loving over people for my own short-term gain have come from this thread and the corporate thread in bfc

There's an extreme lag between something being taught in schools and it being implemented in reality. Remember the people who came in during the "snort cocaine and cut costs" era are now the executives with 30+ years experience.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

Gail Wynand posted:

The founder having no preferred stock at all is unusual, you have to admit. I guess we don't know if she had some and cashed it out, though.

It isn't unusual at all.

Randler posted:

If the company is worth 800 million right now of which 724 million were raised by preferred shares, I'm not entirely sure how that'd leave Holmes with almost nothing after liquidation.

There are plenty of ways this could be true - it just depends upon the terms of the preferred.

mike- fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 1, 2016

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Internal social networking sites aren't unusual in any huge company these days. I work for a huge engineering (actual engineering, not software) consulting firm and we have one.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gail Wynand posted:

It's not a sign of dirty terms, unless it's part of a broader set of funky liquidation terms. Investors having advantageous (even > 1x) liquidation terms over founders happens a lot.

Why do you think it's unusual? We might be hearing about different deal-spaces.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

It's only ever come into play for me with very early stage startups, I've been involved with two and the founder was always agitating for preferred stock. Don't claim to be an expert.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Wales Grey posted:

Home Depot has something similar.

It's essentially Salesforce's Chatter, no?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Absolutely no self-reflection on their part in promoting this nonsense. "Oh, well, we valued her in a certain way because of this indirect process and now this indirect process says bad stuff so we're updating, oh by the way the investments were hella dirty, probably should have mentioned that before putting her on our list last time. We are a respectable magazine."

And that poor Elizabeth Holmes, she won't have anything at all to fall back on.

Except her trust fund, of course, but that barely merits mention. Doesn't everyone have one of those?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

rscott posted:

I can see it being useful but if it's used to enforce a weird corporate culture like Wal Mart it becomes creepy and if you don't get buy in from your employees then it's useless.

Said BusinessWeek:

quote:

It quickly became clear that Eli Wexler was a little too engaged on Pebble. He left critical comments on other people’s posts, according to more than 20 former employees; he even got into arguments with store associates. Word got around that Wexler was Lampert. Bosses started tracking how often employees were “Pebbling.” One former business head says her group organized Pebble conversations about miscellaneous topics just to appear they were active users. Another group held “Pebblejam” sessions to create the illusion they were using the network.

Labor organizing…to make capital believe they're using an internal social network.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Zero at all. You would think someone would go "Hmm, we valued at 9 BILLION dollars a company with basically zero physical assets and only an unsubstantiated claim to have revolutionary technology, which turned out to be totally false. Are we perhaps rushing to judgement in any way? Could it be that our method of creating valuations, wherein someone buys 10% of a company for 100 million and therefore it is worth 1 billion, is perhaps flawed?" but naaaaaah.

cheese fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 2, 2016

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

eschaton posted:

And that poor Elizabeth Holmes, she won't have anything at all to fall back on.

Except her trust fund, of course, but that barely merits mention. Doesn't everyone have one of those?

She has a trust fund? No wonder she thought this Theranos thing would work despite the statistical difficulties, the results just didn't matter.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

MickeyFinn posted:

She has a trust fund? No wonder she thought this Theranos thing would work despite the statistical difficulties, the results just didn't matter.

She comes from money. Why else do you think she gets to drop out of Stanford to start a company at 19? And where she got all of her advisors/investors/board members?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

eschaton posted:

She comes from money. Why else do you think she gets to drop out of Stanford to start a company at 19? And where she got all of her advisors/investors/board members?
Anyone described as "dropped out of Stanford to start a company" is upper middle class/professional career parents at a minimum, and most likely from serious money. Much like "fell off the yacht" or "spent time at a Malibu drug treatment facility".

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

eschaton posted:

Not only that but didn't her father work at Kleiner or something?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

eschaton posted:

I never really thought about it, stupid comes in all kinds of flavors but stupid with money appears to be downright dangerous to the health of the population. Now that I write that down it is obvious.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Gail Wynand posted:

Not only that but didn't her father work at Kleiner or something?

loving lol. American exceptionalism right there. Be born into the right family.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

It's ridiculous:

quote:

But when it came to fund-raising, Ms. Holmes had an ace up her sleeve: family connections.

Timothy Draper, the well-known venture capitalist, had been a neighbor when the Holmeses lived in California. The children played together. “I gave her her first million bucks to get the business going,” Mr. Draper says. “She totally blows me away with her vision.”

from http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/20/business/theranos-founder-faces-a-test-of-technology-and-reputation.html

EDIT: I forgot that he was the 'break California into six states' guy. Between that and Theranos, you can really see why people want him in charge of their money.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 2, 2016

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Have we talked about Sirtuins yet itt?

Because if not, whoo boy do I have a dead unicorn for all of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

If you cant get a job after college just get your neighbor to loan you a million bucks