Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
How realistic would it be to expect a (UK) Golf R DSG brought new now with a number of options to maintain a value of £18-19k in 4 years time? I'm basing this on looking at the 4 year old previous model, which seems to have held its value far better than m135i's that are already in the range of 16-18k at 3 years old with a replacement model due out in a months time.

I really need to get a test drive in a m135i, because based on those figures I'm finding the BMW hard to justify. I drove a Golf R and liked it, and can get one with the options I want for 29.8K

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
What type of toe do you guys run? Stock is slight toe in but for daily/autocross thinking about a slight toe out in front and rear.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

fyodor posted:

The FiST is simpler? How do you mean? I've always heard it is more nimble and thus more fun. I knew that but bought the FoST anyhow because I wanted a bit more room inside.

Simpler and more straight-forward, especially in comparison to an ST2 or ST3.

I own a base FiST and am more than satisfied with it. It just depends on your needs.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I posted this in the Miata thread but I'll also post it here for a different perspective:

I'm moving to Utah from Boston and we are renting a truck. We've got 2 cars, a Fiesta ST and an NC Miata and we'll be towing one of them on the trip behind the U-Haul and driving the other. Neither of these cars are considered particularly comfortable for long distance drives but which one do you think will be the least uncomfortable? The Fiesta is on stock tires which are pretty low profile and have no give, and the miata is on stock suspension and 16 inch wheels so there's more sidewall, but the seats aren't exactly comfortable. I'm really at a loss as to which I should drive and which I should tow. It's literally just 2 roads the whole way there. I-90 to I-80, then I-80 all the way to SLC.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Get one of those gel butt pads and drive either one.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'd drive the Fiesta because the noise from the Miata for hours on the interstate will be absolutely insufferable.

Almost as insufferable as moving to Utah, why??

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fknlo posted:

Are there any common problems with the mk7 Golf R? Cursory googling didn't turn anything major up, just researching for a coworker.

Only problem I've had with mine is that it's a magnet for shitheads. Going on 8 weeks with a rental right now.

DeathbyMisadventure
Apr 2, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
Any opinions on if it's worth trying to get a 2016 GTI or just go for used? They were offering 3k off last month but I'm closing on a house so I couldn't jump on it. Haven't seen any information on June incentives, but I've seen used 2015s for 20-21k and I've seen a 2013 autobahn which would leave money for some fun stuff (or more likely, repairs), but it's 2 door which I'm not thrilled with.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

DeathbyMisadventure posted:

Any opinions on if it's worth trying to get a 2016 GTI or just go for used? They were offering 3k off last month but I'm closing on a house so I couldn't jump on it. Haven't seen any information on June incentives, but I've seen used 2015s for 20-21k and I've seen a 2013 autobahn which would leave money for some fun stuff (or more likely, repairs), but it's 2 door which I'm not thrilled with.

I think the big difference is the 2016s have the MIB II radio, which supports Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The 2013 is a Mk.VI which is not nearly as good as the Mk.VII.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
MIB2 is totally worth going with a 2016

DeathbyMisadventure
Apr 2, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks everyone, hopefully they will bring some incentives back. Follow up question - anyone with experience being tall and driving a GTI long-term? I'm 6'3 and it didn't seem too bad, but I wasn't in the car very long.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you should be able to get an absurd deal right now what with the emissions cheating thing

Drache
Aug 26, 2000
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Slippery Tilde

Thanks everyone, hopefully they will bring some incentives back. Follow up question - anyone with experience being tall and driving a GTI long-term? I'm 6'3 and it didn't seem too bad, but I wasn't in the car very long.

I'm 6'2 and I haven't had any comfort issues in mine (bought it new in 2008).

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you should be able to get an absurd deal right now what with the emissions cheating thing

Yeah, local FL dealers have been marking off $3-5k right now. You can get fully loaded autobahn with PP, DSG and lighting for about $30.7k. I had my eye on an SE with DSG, LP and PP and was going to drive (buy)it last Sunday. Someone bought it before I could get there. Long story short, dealers are dealing heavy on the GTIs right now. My local dealer was marking $1500 off on Rs too, but they sold out.

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 1, 2016

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

A coworker just picked up a Golf R and they gave him almost $2k off sticker. So yeah, find the right dealer and you can work them on the price.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I saw a Golf R last weekend and it made me excited in my pants.

DeathbyMisadventure
Apr 2, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks again! One guy by email told me he could probably get me a base manual for $23,500 but I need the automatic so my fiancee can drive it. I'm in Austin, TX and I see WRX's (and Mustangs... holy crap Texas loves Mustangs) constantly but few GTI's, particularly new ones. I'm hoping that means they are motivated to sell them. We drove by one dealer here that had probably 15 or so Golf R's lined up. but I've never seen one on the street here.

I saw a few days that the latest numbers show VW is the world's largest seller so far this year, beating Toyota. Sales are down in the U.S. but it's only a small percent of their total business. Hopefully they're worried enough to keep trying hard to get these out the door, if I can pick one up for about 24k I think I'd have to do it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Invest in fiancé mod.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Thanks again! One guy by email told me he could probably get me a base manual for $23,500 but I need the automatic so my fiancee can drive it. I'm in Austin, TX and I see WRX's (and Mustangs... holy crap Texas loves Mustangs) constantly but few GTI's, particularly new ones. I'm hoping that means they are motivated to sell them. We drove by one dealer here that had probably 15 or so Golf R's lined up. but I've never seen one on the street here.

I saw a few days that the latest numbers show VW is the world's largest seller so far this year, beating Toyota. Sales are down in the U.S. but it's only a small percent of their total business. Hopefully they're worried enough to keep trying hard to get these out the door, if I can pick one up for about 24k I think I'd have to do it.

A friend got a GLI and skipped the manual so his wife could drive it. Except she never drives it and he completely regrets getting the DSG. So don't do it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Just teach your fiance to drive a manual.

or break up with her or something

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 1, 2016

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I tried to teach my wife to drive a manual and she nearly had a panic attack despite being in the middle of an empty campground. She was actually doing fine as far as learning goes; it just freaked her out too much since she's a nervous driver anyway. Wound up getting her a Mazda3 with an auto and even though it's not a hot hatch just having a manual would make it a pretty fun little car. I'd take a manual econobox over an auto sporty car (but maybe the DSG isn't so bad?)

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

I had a 2007 with a DSG and indeed it wasn't bad, it made great noises on upshifts.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The thing about a DSG is that it's still an auto. Yeah, you can shift with the paddles, but when there's no clutch pedal that takes most of the involvement away, and why bother shifting with the paddles on the street when the computer will just do it for you? I wouldn't like a manual if it did the rev matching for me either. That's a lot of the involvement.

I understand needing an auto if you don't know how it or you have a partner that doesn't know and isn't willing to learn but to put a DSG in a category other than "automatic" is pretty dumb. It's a nice automatic but it's still an automatic.

Also I drive a miata or a fiesta st in traffic every single day and the manual isn't a hindrance. I don't even think about it. Then when I get to the clear spot on my commute I can have a much more fun and involved drive than simply pointing my steering wheel where I want to go.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You losers and your transmission synchros completely disconnecting you from the true mechanical nature of your gearbox. why even bother driving at that point, you might as well be riding the bus.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Also power steering, amateurs

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I ripped the synchros and steering rack out of my Focus ST. It no longer runs but I feel so much more connected to the road.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GutBomb posted:

why bother shifting with the paddles on the street when the computer will just do it for you?
Because you can see what's coming up on the road, you know where you're planning to turn, etc. You know you need to downshift before the car does. They've probably tweaked things since then, but when my friend had a Mk5 GTI with the DSG there were even a few times where I was upshifting earlier than it would have. Drag racing in particular, "S" mode was actually worse than normal D, it would hit the rev limiter every gear. Manually shifting about 500 RPM before the computer would got the best times.

I think BMW's got some kind of connection between the nav system and the transmission on the 7 series that makes it anticipate the need to downshift, but I haven't seen anyone talking about doing that on anything performance-oriented.

I agree that manual is better if the goal is fun rather than numbers, but if I had to have an automatic in a hatchback the wet-clutch DSGs are some of the best out there.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Powershift posted:

You losers and your transmission synchros completely disconnecting you from the true mechanical nature of your gearbox. why even bother driving at that point, you might as well be riding the bus.

I'm having more trouble deciding if that's a false equivalence fallacy, "proving too much" fallacy, or just a straight-up strawman than I am if you're just being a twit.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sigma X posted:

I'm having more trouble deciding if that's a false equivalence fallacy, "proving too much" fallacy, or just a straight-up strawman than I am if you're just being a twit.

I'm just saying the proper level of automotive purity is my level of automotive purity.

Having soft metals align your gears for you on every shift removes the involvement. There's no benefit to being able to select your gear yourself if you don't have a pedal to push, a stick to wiggle, or rpm to match to road speed. If you're not going to rev match and float gears, why even bother wiggling a stick at all?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Having so much ride height in your truck removes the practicality in the vehicle. There is no benefit to being so high up and removing the ability to see around you if you need a pickup truck to haul things or to pull trailers. If you are going to get a truck why bother getting something that is harder to drive than something smaller?

Am I doing this right?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
buy a dsg, it shifts faster. lap times will easily reflect this, also there are no missed shifts that could cause you to lose. honestly, people slow cars down these days

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

I really don't feel any more involved with the drive in my Fiesta than I did with my GTI, but 90% of the time I'm on highways commuting for work and I don't even know what a rev match sounds like anymore.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I really want a Fiesta ST with a well-programmed torque converter auto, traffic can gently caress itself and this is a daily (I sometimes regret getting a manual Focus)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

powderific posted:

Wound up getting her a Mazda3 with an auto and even though it's not a hot hatch just having a manual would make it a pretty fun little car. I'd take a manual econobox over an auto sporty car (but maybe the DSG isn't so bad?)

I had a manual first gen 3 with the 2.0 (slowest available in Canada) and now drive a 2nd gen Speed3, and I firmly believe that I had more fun with the 2.slow. I could just wail on that thing, and the 5-speed was friendly and forgiving. I swear, I was the last Canuck to ever buy one without ABS let alone traction control, and it never let me down before I let it down first. Sadly the 1gen rust had started in on it, even before it got sandwiched between a hilux and a domestic pickup.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you realize that
1) North America is treated as a separate P&L just like every region of every automaker in the world, and so there is a tremendous amount of motivation for NA to keep sales volumes as high as possible and
2) dealers are their own business entities and need to sell cars to keep the lights on regardless of how well VW is doing in Kyrgyzstan or South Africa or France

edit: Hewlett VW in Georgetown is the best VW dealer in the greater Austin area.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 2, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I really want a Fiesta ST with a well-programmed torque converter auto, traffic can gently caress itself and this is a daily (I sometimes regret getting a manual Focus)
I can totally understand wanting an auto of some sort, but why in the world would you want a hot hatch to have a torque converter? A DCT will be a better fit in pretty much every way. Hot hatches are supposed to be a bit manic, so the effectively instant shifts and slightly rougher operation are more appropriate IMO than a slushbox.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

wolrah posted:

I can totally understand wanting an auto of some sort, but why in the world would you want a hot hatch to have a torque converter? A DCT will be a better fit in pretty much every way. Hot hatches are supposed to be a bit manic, so the effectively instant shifts and slightly rougher operation are more appropriate IMO than a slushbox.

With the right programming, a traditional auto will shift 90% as fast as a DCT and still work seamlessly around town. Whoever programmed Dodge's SRT-8 transmissions did it right. Mine will sometimes bark third gear, it'll bounce off the redline forever if you don't touch it, and shifts instantly and violently when you want it to. Put it back into auto non-sport mode, and it's smooth as heck.

DeathbyMisadventure
Apr 2, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you realize that
1) North America is treated as a separate P&L just like every region of every automaker in the world, and so there is a tremendous amount of motivation for NA to keep sales volumes as high as possible and
2) dealers are their own business entities and need to sell cars to keep the lights on regardless of how well VW is doing in Kyrgyzstan or South Africa or France

edit: Hewlett VW in Georgetown is the best VW dealer in the greater Austin area.

Thanks, I had noticed Hewlett has the best prices online by far. I will definitely check them out.

And yeah I realize that, I just thought it was interesting since a while back some headlines were predicting the downfall of VW (media hype I guess.) I know the dealer is always under pressure to sell as much as possible, but my worry was if VW was doing well they wouldn't feel the need to offer as good of incentives, since they are losing ground in the US it's probably not the case though. I don't really know how all that works but I was under the impression VW sets at least some of the incentives but I am prepared to be wrong.

I didn't mean to start a war, she can drive manual but just loathes it and lives in constant fear of hills. We like to take road trips so I don't want her to be anxious and hate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

VW does contribute to incentives, and they need a healthy dealer network, which means significant manufacturer support in bad times. Right now the dealer isn't really under pressure to sell as much as possible, they're under pressure to sell enough cars to keep the lights on and the key people employed. You don't just idly decide to pull out of the 2nd largest global car market after investing billions of dollars in the past decade, so increased incentives is a small price to pay.

The guys at Hewlett are very straight up and are good to do business with (the last time I encountered them, which was a while ago now in 2012).

Why is she afraid of hills? All manual cars have hill holder now. They don't roll back. That's the only thing I can think of that would be frightening.