Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

Eh, Green Lanterns Rebirth was the one I was most interested in reading and it was really pointless and kinda bad. You can't introduce two new heroes by having them immediately start arguing with each other and also having them both point out that their roles are completely unnecessary. I'll give it a couple more issues, I guess, but I went from excited for the new GLs to on the verge of not caring about them as per usual. Really weak opening.

Solve your problem by not reading Green Lantern books ever. Green Arrow was the other one I read and it was really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All four Rebirth #1's have all sold out at Diamond and are heading to 2nd printings. And they overprinted these by 10% so I guess this is working out okay for DC?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well I read two really good DC books this morning, a third that was ok. So it's working out fine for me too. The question is, what will DC do when in six months their sales are only a bit higher than they were and that's only because of double shipping? Will they ride it out or will they decide they have to switch course again.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. New 52 did well initially, also.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. New 52 did well initially, also.

None of the ANAD Marvel #1's in the initial batch sold out like this. Also N52 was massively under printed and nobody could meet demand.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Green Arrow and Superman were lovely and good. Batman was... yeah, it was just there. I don't like Janin's art though so that put me off a fair bit.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQLxqRbPl9k

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So has anyone taken Geoff Johns up on that offer of mailing back Rebirth #1? Is there any way to track numbers on returns?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

No thank you. I don't need a video review of your thoughts Toxx.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I would imagine nearly all of the type to get mad about that had already read the spoilers.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

This guy definitely should have done the "Green LanternS!" bit more, it wasn't irritating enough.

(Not surprised to hear Percy's overly melodramatic and his quipping doesn't work. I thought he'd be one of the casualties of the DC-You -> Rebirth changeover and was surprised DC left him on GA so he can keep making the mistakes he was making earlier)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DrProsek posted:

This guy definitely should have done the "Green LanternS!" bit more, it wasn't irritating enough.

(Not surprised to hear Percy's overly melodramatic and his quipping doesn't work. I thought he'd be one of the casualties of the DC-You -> Rebirth changeover and was surprised DC left him on GA so he can keep making the mistakes he was making earlier)

His Green Arrow issue was better than Tom King's Batman, so I don't really see anything wrong.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

X-O posted:

His Green Arrow issue was better than Tom King's Batman, so I don't really see anything wrong.

:v: I'm still stuck at work and haven't gotten a chance to read them myself, I'm mostly just saying what I thought about his pre-Rebirth GA matches up with what that video guy said he felt about GA:Rebirth #1. I still fully intend on reading all the Rebirth issues and judging them for myself later.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Apparently Adventures of Supergirl #1 and #2 are out in print?? I never saw them in solicits or Previews or anything, and I couldn't pull them on Comixology, but there they were on the shelf today. I guess #3 is out next week too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Flash, Aquaman and Wonder Woman Rebirth #1 have all sold out ahead of their release.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Just read Bats. Reading comics is tough, man. Just in terms of buying enough books to keep up. I dropped out before Robin War, so I have no idea who Duke is. I guess he was/is/pretended to be Robin at some point. I also very do not like the purple accent on Batman's cape. I thought it was fine. Nothing particularly exciting. Kind of a confusing story honestly. Like they wanted to tell a story of have some kind of point, but it got lost in the shuffle. So instead we got...Yellow Batman, Calendar Man molting, and that's about it. Like a filler episode in comic form.

Superman had a nice storyline for a #0 issue. "He honored both" was really good. I also liked the realization that he couldn't resurrect New52perman. I'm not sure that'll stick and I don't know how to feel about that. On one hand, death being permanent in a comic book is hilarious. On the other hand, seems like a bit of a slap in the face to deliberately kill one world's Superman to substitute another in. Maybe I misunderstood the ending, but I got the impression that Old Clark was gonna be New Superman.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Duke Thomas first appeared in Zero Year as a little kid, his family took in a comatose Bruce Wayne after he failed to stop the Riddler from seizing control of Gotham City during the hurricane. As a teenager he was in We Are Robin! and the last arc of Snyder's Batman, where he has been searching for his parents who were driven crazy with Joker toxin. With his parents' condition seemingly permanent he is graduating to the big leagues to be the Yellow Bat-Ranger.

I really liked Old Clark's attitude toward death. Like he's been through it, he's seen most of his friends go through it, he sort of assumes this world's Superman is going to be back too. Whether NuSupes does return I think will depend on the 'revelations' hinted at by Dr. Oz in Rebirth.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Batman Rebirth #1 read exactly like one of Paul Dini's issues of Detective Comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Die Laughing posted:

Batman Rebirth #1 read exactly like one of Paul Dini's issues of Detective Comics.

I'm not sure if this is praise or not but I dug it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Praise. In King I trust.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Die Laughing posted:

Praise. In King I trust.

Got it. I'd like to see a breakdown on who did more in the book, Snyder or King.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Got it. I'd like to see a breakdown on who did more in the book, Snyder or King.

Based on what I've read from both since I didn't care for it that much I'm going to guess Snyder.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Green Arrow Rebirth was easily the best book of the weak and it's immediately apparent that Percy has benefited massively from a stronger editor and a great artist.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Clint! :swoon:

This needs to happen weekly now.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Batman Rebirth felt like it had so many wasted pages. I really hope this isn't a sign of DC padding the issues to allow for bi-weekly.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dunbar posted:

G. Willow Wilson posted on Twitter a while back that people need to move away from using single issue sales to judge the success of comic book because "some titles" can triple or quadruple their sales in digital and in trade. I think she'd be as well placed as anyone to know how much a digital-heavy book can sell on digital, so if even a couple books are selling that much digitally, it's a good thing.
If we want to move away from that line of thinking, then comixology needs to make their monthly sales numbers into public knowledge. I know they release the numbers to the companies, but all we can go is on the word of executives who may be conflating the truth in order to make themselves look better. People will take it more seriously if they can actually SEE how much a book is selling digitally ever month.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Can someone post a picture of Calendar Man molting because what

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

hup posted:

Can someone post a picture of Calendar Man molting because what

It's just a page of panels of him crawling out of his own husk of a mouth. It was weird but in an "OK whatever" kind of way. I have the feeling it was supposed to play off as some big revelation but it was pretty flat in the book.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

lotus circle posted:

If we want to move away from that line of thinking, then comixology needs to make their monthly sales numbers into public knowledge. I know they release the numbers to the companies, but all we can go is on the word of executives who may be conflating the truth in order to make themselves look better. People will take it more seriously if they can actually SEE how much a book is selling digitally ever month.

Do you also decide which TV shows to watch based on their ratings?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The only time I even remotely care about how a book sells is if something I like is cancelled.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Calendar Man thing was pretty stupid. I don't think he's ever been tied to some kind of seasonal rebirth cycle before. It's not particularly calendar-related, it's like Seasonal Man or something. He dies in the winter and is reborn in spring?

It was pretty dumb but the Calendar Man doesn't matter whatsoever, so who cares.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Travis343 posted:

The Calendar Man thing was pretty stupid. I don't think he's ever been tied to some kind of seasonal rebirth cycle before. It's not particularly calendar-related, it's like Seasonal Man or something. He dies in the winter and is reborn in spring?

It was pretty dumb but the Calendar Man doesn't matter whatsoever, so who cares.

Also Bruce said it completely offhand like he'd known about it for years and that this was a known aspect of the character. Which is part of the reason it came off so flat for me when I think it was supposed to be some kind of reveal.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
I'm usually a big complainer but holy poo poo I read 3 of the 4 new Rebirth books and loved all three so far. I think Superman was my favorite but that just could be the 90s nostalgia talking. I do have a few nitpicks though:

-90% of Superman Rebirth was recapping Death of Superman. Does such an iconic story that has not only been rehashed in the comics but adapted into film and animation (at least twice already) need a recap?
-I don't like the idea of Calendar Man being a meta human.
-However now that he is a meta I would have liked to see more of him (He was literally in 2 pages of the book). The next story in the Batman book is about those new characters (the gothams) and then they have to deal with that 3 Joker BS. Snyder's opening arc is about Two-Face. I really hope there is a plan in place to revisit Calendar Man and it wasn't just a 1 time deal (Like The Shark becoming a big deal at the end of James Robinson's One Year Later story only to never show up or be mentioned again in Dini and Morrisons runs that spun out of it). But so far it doesn't seem likely.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Travis343 posted:

"gave" Batman a giant dick as opposed to "accurately portrayed Batman's giant dick"

That's what this forum is named after, Batman's shamefully gigantic hog

its like he put a can of monster in his pants

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
in a rare example of me pulling "rank" i told the guy who opened the mall store today that i wanted the B cover to be the staff pick at that store

because for one it's a new batman book for another, his giant dick

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

its like he put a can of monster in his pants

Always be prepared.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Semper Fudge posted:

Green Arrow Rebirth was easily the best book of the weak and it's immediately apparent that Percy has benefited massively from a stronger editor and a great artist.

Don't forget that Geoff Johns spent like a week with each creative team getting into the nitty gritty of the story and characters and coaching the writers on better storytelling. So that might have helped a lot too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Literally The Worst posted:

in a rare example of me pulling "rank" i told the guy who opened the mall store today that i wanted the B cover to be the staff pick at that store

because for one it's a new batman book for another, his giant dick

Hey question, did all your BR #1 variants have some pink poo poo on the upper spine by the staple? Diamond told me it was an issue affecting the entire print run.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Don't forget that Geoff Johns spent like a week with each creative team getting into the nitty gritty of the story and characters and coaching the writers on better storytelling. So that might have helped a lot too.

Did Green Arrow lose an arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Did Green Arrow lose an arm.

He brought Watchmen into the main universe not Dark Knight Returns