Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
These questions of tone always make me wonder why this wasn't noticed far earlier, like at the script stage. It must have been clear what Edwards was aiming for. I'm just wondering if there's more to this that just a test audience not checking the right boxes and texting each other enough smiley emoticons. Be interesting to see in future if 'difficult' directors will be hit with the tone hammer after they've delivered their films.

(Snap!)

Robot Wendigo fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

jivjov posted:

In that case directors shouldn't sign up to work on urge franchise works and instead pursue their own projects in which there won't be that much corporate oversight.

Nah, there's plenty of directors who do great work with franchise material. Such as, hey, Gareth Edwards.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

jivjov posted:

In that case directors shouldn't sign up to work on urge franchise works and instead pursue their own projects in which there won't be that much corporate oversight.

or maybe the corporation should let the director they hired do his or her job instead of trying to do it for them?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Zas posted:

directors should pretty much always get final cut, this is basic stuff, don't be a corporate stooge

I know this isn't exactly what you are talking about but there are plenty of directors who don't really feel comfortable editing.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

PBS Newshour posted:

I know this isn't exactly what you are talking about but there are plenty of directors who don't really feel comfortable editing.

obviously, what i'm talking about is a studio going "this might not be maximally profitable, let's gently caress around with it until we think it will be" which is dumb bullshit regardless of the movie's budget or franchise potential or whatever

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
poo poo. Episode VII fell flat for me, as did Guardians of the Galaxy. I guess we'll see in December.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

also if your argument is "well this is just the way things are" please understand that's both obvious and not an argument

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Zas posted:

obviously, what i'm talking about is a studio going "this might not be maximally profitable, let's gently caress around with it until we think it will be" which is dumb bullshit regardless of the movie's budget or franchise potential or whatever

that is why i said i know this isn't what you are talking about

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

PBS Newshour posted:

that is why i said i know this isn't what you are talking about

right i was clarifying my point. if a director wants to delegate more power to them. hell for all I know gareth edwards is totally cool with these reshoots or whatever.

but if you're in favor of corporate editing of films you're anti-art, even if we're talking about the disney marvel star wars empire

Hearry
Jun 1, 2016

by zen death robot

Cnut the Great posted:

No, I've vigorously and repeatedly argued that a person is free to poo poo all over a work of art as long as they have a legitimate claim to artistic ownership of that work. I don't believe Bob Iger or any of the executives underneath him, representing Disney as a corporation, can legitimately be said to have any genuine artistic interest in much of the work they finance. I believe theirs is primarily, if not completely, a monetary interest--in complete contrast to the situation as it once existed with George Lucas, who no reasonable person can deny was a full and genuine author on all six of the original Star Wars films, with a clear artistic investment.

He was not the full and genuine author on all six films. He was full and genuine author on three and a half films. On the others he had other writers, other directors, adversarial editors, improvising actors. You'll notice that those three and a half films where he was full and genuine author are considered the worst ones.

Again: George Lucas, billionaire toymonger, is quite possibly the last director you'd want to stand behind as a man totally about the artistic interest and not about the monetary interest. By the way, when's he going to get around to directing those small, experimental films he's been claiming since the motherfucking Carter administration that he really wants to do and his real passion ? He's on the wrong side of 70, probably should get on that pretty soon. Maybe he can make more critical and box office smashes like Radioland Murders, Strange Magic and Howard the Duck.

quote:

Why don't you think it's true? By your reckoning, were all the Lucasfilm and Fox marketing executives idiots too? Is it your contention that George Lucas is just completely making poo poo up out of whole cloth again as yet another part of the sinister Lucasian conspiracy? Why do you think so in this case, when it's such a plausible scenario?

I don't think it's true first because you have provided no evidence that it is true and a quick Googling turned up nothing. I also think that Lucasfilm and Fox execs were probably fine with the idea of a little kid and did not expect the dialog, characterization and actor of said kid to be so terrible, especially from a man to that point was the golden goose

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Zas posted:

right i was clarifying my point. if a director wants to delegate more power to them. hell for all I know gareth edwards is totally cool with these reshoots or whatever.

but if you're in favor of corporate editing of films you're anti-art, even if we're talking about the disney marvel star wars empire

i know that, please stop yelling at me :(

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Zas posted:

or maybe the corporation should let the director they hired do his or her job instead of trying to do it for them?

And what if that job is "direct a movie meeting our specific guidelines of tone"?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

PBS Newshour posted:

i know that, please stop yelling at me :(

shut the gently caress up pbs newshour just JESUS CHRIST

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
what will you do when they probate you

what will you do if they ban you

if you continue to post

what will you become

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jivjov posted:

And what if that job is "direct a movie meeting our specific guidelines of tone"?

They should lighten up.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

jivjov posted:

that's like doublespeak. "yes you are the 'director' haha, but we are in control of this amorphous thing called 'guidelines of tone,' which can mean whatever the gently caress we want it to mean. have fun!"

like I'm sure he agreed to it, because disney has all the leverage, but that doesn't make it right, or an intelligent way to produce good movies.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Zas posted:

shut the gently caress up pbs newshour just JESUS CHRIST

sorry :smith:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

it's ok, just try to adhere more to my guidelines of tone in the future

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Generally speaking you get more interesting movies when filmmakers have autonomy than when the studio micromanages things. Sure sometimes you get disasters, but they tend to be interesting disasters.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Zas posted:

that's like doublespeak. "yes you are the 'director' haha, but we are in control of this amorphous thing called 'guidelines of tone,' which can mean whatever the gently caress we want it to mean. have fun!"

like I'm sure he agreed to it, because disney has all the leverage, but that doesn't make it right, or an intelligent way to produce good movies.

also I understand this is basically how TV works, but I'm against importing that aspect of TV into film, especially w/o a guiding voice as a producer who is an actual human being, like a showrunner or an equivalent producer like Lucas was for Ep V and VI

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hearry posted:

By the way, when's he going to get around to directing those small, experimental films he's been claiming since the motherfucking Carter administration that he really wants to do and his real passion ?

Maybe not exactly what you're talking about, but Lucas did finance a Kurosawa film, Kagemusha, during a time in Kurosawa's career when he couldn't get a decent budget together in his home country.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Yaws posted:

I''m genuinely curious if you two know anyone outside of this thread that unironically enjoys the PT. I'm sure you're going to lie and be all like "ACTUALLY I KNOW SEVERAL PEOPLE AND ONE IS A NEUROSURGEON!"

not that you give a poo poo at all but yeah i do

- non nerd people who haven't got a clue that they're not "supposed" to hate the prequels
- literal children

(none of whom are neurosurgeons but i dunno)

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Yaws posted:

I''m genuinely curious if you two know anyone outside of this thread that unironically enjoys the PT. I'm sure you're going to lie and be all like "ACTUALLY I KNOW SEVERAL PEOPLE AND ONE IS A NEUROSURGEON!"

I was 9 when I saw the phantom menace, I still like that movie as much as any Star Wars, but I wouldn't consider myself a big fan in general. a lot of people I grew up with are in the same boat.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

Those don't get funded.

Hearry
Jun 1, 2016

by zen death robot

computer parts posted:

Oh no, not 11 years. That's the average lifespan of a human being.

You have to live in an insane bubble of confirmation bias if you think the star wars prequels are being reevaluated as better films and/or will be redeemed by history. Each prequel was initially greeted with great fanfare and a generally favorable critical response and almost reflexive fanboy apologetics. Months and years after their initial release the mood shifted, even in the middle of their releases. People agreed that, say, The Phantom Menace was bad, but Clones would lose Jar Jar, and later that Sith would be better because it was darker. After more time passed, deeper analysis revealed that these were just the most obvious flaws and the films were bad in nearly innumerable ways. Their existence moving forward appears to be being treated as vaguely distasteful trivia. Time is against them as the effects look worse and worse with every passing year and if Disney pulls this off in the long term it's not going to look good when any nerd with a film school degree can make a competent Star Wars movie

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tezzor why are you so upset.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

PBS Newshour posted:

you know that final cut doesn't mean the directors do the editing themselves, right

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

There's a lot of sky is falling about the Rogue One reshoots but it will probably be fine. As mentioned before I doubt most of us would notice if we didn't know, other than bad wigs, but now if people don't like it they can automatically point a finger at Disney's heavy hand. Oh well, based on the first scene of Star Wars, there will be no one to stop us them that time, and in Rogue One, there will be someone to stop them this time. May as well have jokes.

I probably should have mentioned this when the thread was dead two weeks ago instead of now in Rogue One chat, but I was recently thinking about how Adam Driver gets to kill Max von Sydow and Harrison Ford in his first major film role. That's pretty cool.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zas posted:

I was 9 when I saw the phantom menace, I still like that movie as much as any Star Wars, but I wouldn't consider myself a big fan in general. a lot of people I grew up with are in the same boat.

Same about the age. I was entertained by TPM about as much as I was entertained by ESB. Which is to say it's kinda cool but it dragged in a few places. Not really ~best of all time~ (for ESB) or whatever.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Basebf555 posted:

Maybe not exactly what you're talking about, but Lucas did finance a Kurosawa film, Kagemusha, during a time in Kurosawa's career when he couldn't get a decent budget together in his home country.

Holy poo poo what!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzR87VBlaoo

There it is, Francis Ford Coppola and George Lucas presents, right at the start. I always thought it was just distribution in the west.

Like, holy poo poo, Kagemusha is one of my favorite movies of all time, thank you based Lucas.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Maybe it straight up tested poo poo and the "tone" thing is the best cover story they could bother with.

It's not as fun to debate for pages upon pages but I'm sure it's still worth at least one revisit over the merits of the prequels.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Yaws posted:

What? Dude, you are living in a small social circle if u think it'd difficult to find ppl who like those movies.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Well my excitement for this move went from excited to completely tepid. It'll be real interesting to see what the next trailer is like and whether there are any immediate differences.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Yaws posted:

If you know that the prequel hate is absolutely universal and unquestioned, why do you need to convince anyone of it at all?

I don't particularly like them as entertainment, but their ability to anger nerds for years and years means that there is something worthwhile to them.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 2, 2016

Kaiba
Apr 4, 2004
Bay, just have a mash, bay.

Hearry posted:

By the way, when's he going to get around to directing those small, experimental films he's been claiming since the motherfucking Carter administration that he really wants to do and his real passion ?

On the TFA red carpet he said they're only for himself and his friends:
https://youtu.be/SLchMvH-SH4?t=77

Hearry
Jun 1, 2016

by zen death robot

Kaiba posted:

On the TFA red carpet he said they're only for himself and his friends:
https://youtu.be/SLchMvH-SH4?t=77

Seems convenient, like when a dad writes poems about his dog and 9/11

Hearry
Jun 1, 2016

by zen death robot

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

If you know that the prequel hate is absolutely universal and unquestioned, why do you need to convince anyone of it at all?

I don't particularly like them as entertainment, but their ability to anger nerds for years and years means that there is something worthwhile to them.

The people on the internet writing extended defenses of bad sci fi movies as secret works of genius subversion are extremely cool and buff, and in no way these hated nerds we hear so much about

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

The truth is, no one's going to care about The Force Awakens in fifty years (unless the sequels manage to somehow retroactively improve it to a miraculous degree), while the originals and prequels are going to continue to merit increasing public and scholarly interest (as far as such things go).

You are way more optimistic about Something Awful's survival into 2066 than I am.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Hearry posted:

Seems convenient, like when a dad writes poems about his dog and 9/11

U registered another account so u could meltdown about Star Wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Hearry posted:

The people on the internet writing extended defenses of bad sci fi movies as secret works of genius subversion are extremely cool and buff, and in no way these hated nerds we hear so much about

U registered another account so u could meltdown about Star Wars

• Locked thread