Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
One NCO sends a mass text invite to a memorial day BBQ this weekend.

Five minutes later, another NCO texts me and tells me I'm working 10 hour night shifts all weekend.

Army Army Army Army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

psydude posted:

This is actually routine on smaller FOBs and COPs with FSTs. They don't have storage for blood, so the blood supply is the people living there.

We didn't have any MPs to pull people over, though. Somehow, we survived.

I lived in Lagman, which had the FST and that's exactly how we did things.

Lagman was great because it was just big enough to have nice poo poo, and just small enough to avoid the gently caress gently caress games 90% of the time.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

timma85 posted:

KAF was the dumbest place I've ever been. Between the poo poo pond, the board walk, and all the retarded regulations it made me realize reenlisting had been serious mistake. The only time I enjoyed KAF is when MP's tried to ticket my squad for picking up laundry in PT's. Everyone ran like cockroaches when a light gets flipped on. I'm not sure if the MP's attempted to chase anyone; the MP's that are at KAF have to realize how useless they are, right?

I think all MP's realize that they are useless, which is why they're dicks to everyone else.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
How about a feel good army story? The DoD in conjunction with the YMCA up here in Anchorage sponsored a fishing tournament yesterday for lower enlisted personnel. $25 to go, and it got me personally Thursday off work to go halibut fishing on a charter that would usually cost about $300, and then a banquet afterwards with a ridiculous amount of door prizes, including $4500 in cash, and an open bar. Everyone that went got a pair of Spy sunglasses that sell for $130, plus all the fish that they caught. I have 30 pounds of fresh Alaskan halibut in my freezer, got the day off work, and got drunk for free. loving A+

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

How about a feel good army story?

does not compute

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
here's a feel good army story: getting the gently caress out

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I realize there's still some bullshit involved, like having to pay $25 for it, but still, it's a bunch of civilians doing something cool for service personnel, and I don't think anyone that went had a bad time. Except for the guys that got seasick, but they are weak and should be culled from the herd anyway.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

A Bad Poster posted:

I realize there's still some bullshit involved, like having to pay $25 for it, but still, it's a bunch of civilians doing something cool for service personnel, and I don't think anyone that went had a bad time. Except for the guys that got seasick, but they are weak and should be culled from the herd anyway.

usually it involves surviving a plea to save your soul so this sounds like a really good day

GREAT SATAN
Aug 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
enjoying this four day... starting to think the army ain't so bad... might make a career out of this poo poo right here... yessir

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

reptileintheswamp posted:

enjoying this four day... starting to think the army ain't so bad... might make a career out of this poo poo right here... yessir

Counterpoint: Working every night this four day for 12 hour shifts. Also, Army.

GREAT SATAN
Aug 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
so you're working 4 12s? You've got a three day every week then, right?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

reptileintheswamp posted:

so you're working 4 12s? You've got a three day every week then, right?

Not currently. It's kind of a clusterfuck. We're quite undermanned for what we're trying to do. At least I have NIPR, though!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

McNally posted:

I brought this up in the hangout but I think it's worth discussing here too.

My wife attempted suicide in October and her Reserve unit put her on orders so she could be seen by mental health.

Clearly it didn't work because she committed suicide in December.

I have a copy of the Army's investigation report. Here's an excerpt (emphasis mine):

So apparently instead of getting a soldier help, the Army was more worried about making sure boxes get checked and playing CYA.

I really really wish I could sue the Army. I guess I'll have to settle for sending an angry letter to my congresscritters, the COS, the Secretary of the Army, probably every member of the House and Senate Armed Forces committees, and every media outlet I can find addresses for.

Holy poo poo. I am exceedingly grateful that when I had an NCO directly express desire to kill himself, no one in my chain asked such dumb poo poo. In-patient care, some home visits, different meds and no one spoke a word of loving up his NCOER over it or reassigning him to a do-nothing job. The Army makes it so easy, frankly, to not gently caress people over but time and time again we see some units or leadership go that way.

I saw similarly lovely CoC response when a soldier who used to be in my platoon was killed after his motorcycle riding partner hosed up and ran him off the road and into a pole.

No one cared that the police report didn't say poo poo about speeding, he had all his gear on, was sober, etc. It was a lot of senior leaders looking at pictures of his sport bike and laying the blame directly on the unit and his peers because they should have magically dissuaded a young guy from getting a CBR 600RR.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Syrian Lannister posted:

I think all MP's realize that they are useless, which is why they're dicks to everyone else.

It's true. Except for when you have Soldiers being killed in driving accidents all over the dumb FOB and some General makes us go out and harass people for driving crazy in tanks and stuff. :shrug:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Aranan posted:

Not currently. It's kind of a clusterfuck.

As if to prove my point, the schedule shifted multiple hours and nobody told me. I'm home trying to nap for an hour before I have to go back, but I'm too pissed off.

gently caress the army, gently caress me for joining, gently caress everything.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

A Bad Poster posted:

I found out why the event wasn't a cluster gently caress of PT belts and formations for formations to be early for the formation.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Don't know if any of you guys buy computer stuff from Newegg. But they're doing a thing for military/veterans. http://promotions.newegg.com/nepro/16-1748/index.html?cm_mmc=SNC-Facebook-_-Promo-_-NeweggPremier-Military-Memorial-Day-2016-_-NA

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I have to do this goddamn GFEBS class because even though I'm just waiting on orders, I'm the onlycard holder.

gently caress GFEBS, can't even find answers online. I hate this goddamn thing. Been trying for two days to pass this goddamn class.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Going to Ft Knox next week anyone know of anything fun for me to do on post when my class is done for the day? How is the gym, is there a pool and should I just bring a lot of movies to watch?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

White Chocolate posted:

Going to Ft Knox next week anyone know of anything fun for me to do on post when my class is done for the day? How is the gym, is there a pool and should I just bring a lot of movies to watch?

You poor bastard.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

White Chocolate posted:

The place was poo poo in 2009 and couldn't have gotten any better. Have you considered going AWOL instead?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I went to Knox for medic school in 2013.

Kill yourself.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I always recommend a restaurant called Korean Delight right off post. It's super good and the owner is nice and friendly. Her buglogi is badass.

Other than that, avoid Radcliff, don't go to the rocker unless you want to get into a fight, visit misery, agony, and heartbreak to see what you missed in basic.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
*Ahem* Louisville

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Teflon Don posted:

*Ahem* Louisville

Yeah I guess 4th Street Live or whatever it's called is pretty cool if you want to bar hop and only get carded once.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Geirskogul posted:

I went to Knox for medic school in 2013.

Kill yourself.

It's one week. I think I can manage.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Problem solved.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

White Chocolate posted:

It's one week. I think I can manage.

there are a lot of ways to kill yourself after all. get creative!

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
oh the Patton Museum of Armor or whatever is cool if you're into that kind of poo poo. Lots of tanks from around the world.

Unless it sucks now I went to see it in 04.

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

oh the Patton Museum of Armor or whatever is cool if you're into that kind of poo poo. Lots of tanks from around the world.

Unless it sucks now I went to see it in 04.

I believe they moved a lot of the stuff at the Patton Museum down to Benning since the armor school and all the other associated BS moved down there. Actually sent soldiers on detail to Know to assist in the movement of the vehicles.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Oh that sucks, I wasn't sure if they'd bothered to move it with the school or not.

Well never mind enjoy the loving hell of KY, go to E town and look at toothless pregnant strippers at Thoroughbreds Gentlemens Clubs 1-7

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah that poo poo's gone. One Abrams stuck on a tree left

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Last time I was at Knox taxi was 1$ to anywhere you wanted to go. :jiggled:

Story time: Saw an 0-6 fail his PT test this morning. Pretty much on purpose.

So there's this NCO who, if he wasn't in the army, would be wearing a fedora and living in his mother's basement. Acne, gross habits, whiny, everyone hates him. He's in the G-2 shop (that explains a lot).

This NCO is grading one line of people for the pushup event and the COL is first in line. I hear this NCO's whiny bitch-rear end voice going "one, one, one, you need to go all the way down, two, two, break the plane, three, three" At this point the COL just gets up says "gently caress this, and gently caress you" to the NCO and storms off the field.

Everyone there was like: :aaa: Except for me and some other dudes who are like: :dance: and some random SGM like: :derp:

I told the commander to just let it slide because, poo poo, I'd have been pissed too. Not THAT pissed, but we all have a day like that. I'm also going to say that this 0-6 is the only one who shows up to PT and actually does ranges, and training with everyone (like all the other officers are supposed to be doing). All the other high up officers and ncos just magically have passing APFT cards show up in their files.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The Armor Museum is technically at Benning but it's all in storage or at the restoration shop of Sand Hill. Doubt a new museum for it will be built any time soon.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

White Chocolate posted:

No. Go to Louisville.

E: are you going to the ARRTC? That place is depressing.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

psydude posted:

No. Go to Louisville.

E: are you going to the ARRTC? That place is depressing.

Confirmed. Mob planner course

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Louisville is meh. 4th Street Live is cool if you got friends, kinda sucks by yourself. Also go to Rivergirls, bring back proof you were there. Kinda like the haunted house Thing where a kid brigs back proof to his friends that he did it. Except it's a strip club. I double dare you

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

White Chocolate posted:

Confirmed. Mob planner course

Lol all the ROTC kiddoes are there now too.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

cravius posted:

Lol all the ROTC kiddoes are there now too.

I'm going to go get all the salutes and tell them how much superior OCS is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

White Chocolate posted:

I'm going to go get all the salutes and tell them how much superior OCS is.

Hope you don't run into one of those smug direct commission guys.

• Locked thread