Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Plus a lot of that stuff takes time to coordinate, license and produce. I have a feeling Warner Bros. wasn't quite expecting Fury Road to be as amazing as it was until much later when they increased the budget for it. They probably just didn't care - why bother when they can make infinite $$$ off various Batman-related t-shirts and stuff.

Unrelated, but this reminds me of the ways in which the publishing industry was rocked by Frozen. Disney was expecting it to make money of course but actually wasn't expecting it to completely explode the way it did, so they actually weren't ready regarding sending tons of art assets to publishers/ toy makers or with a Cars-level set up of toy licensing that kind of thing. So even to this day those companies that put out storybooks, posters, etc. had to put into place entire new departments whose literal full time purpose is just "Organizes Frozen Stuff" just to keep up because as soon as it blew up Disney wanted to catch up as soon as possible and rush more merchandise out.

But as much as I'd love to work as a person who does nothing but organize and codify the world of Mad Max: Fury Road for 50 hours a week, the movie is a huge success even without the merchandise deluge. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
It's strange that you focused on only 2 of the 4 examples of success I gave.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Partly its just that audiences just don't blow up for stuff they blew up for in the 70s and 80s. I can't really think of a film that had the same level of impact as Star Wars or Jaws these days besides whatever the latest Marvel film is and that's partially down to pre-release marketing saturation. Same deal with the most recent Star Wars. The landscape of films is such that unless you have that incredibly expensive marketing train rolling way before the film comes out, its hard to garner the kind of public impact you're talking about these days.

That said I kinda disagree, I think the fact that we're still talking about (and watching) Fury Road a year later, that every con has a bunch of Warboys and Joes wandering around and that any video with a car in it has a bunch of WITNESS ME comments on youtube, I'd say Fury Road made more of a cultural impact that you might be thinking. Not to mention any impact it has on film itself is yet to be felt, I'm pretty sure in the next year or two we're going to see more and more films ape its style and that's where you see many of Jaw's and Star War's successes.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Why cookie Rocket posted:

It's strange that you focused on only 2 of the 4 examples of success I gave.

Is it?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Also Star Wars really was unlike anything anyone had seen ever. It had antecedents in Kurosawa and Flash Gordon and so on but nobody had put the pieces together before.

If there ever is "another Star Wars" it won't be a sci-fi action movie because we're used to that. It'll be some genre that was never big, done in a way that wasn't possible before, that appeals to people who would never watch that sort of thing otherwise. Like the biggest romantic comedy of all time or something equally left field.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Romantic comedy/horror

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I wish comedy/horror was a genre that was explored in more earnest. Cabin in the Woods was a masterpiece.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Also Star Wars really was unlike anything anyone had seen ever. It had antecedents in Kurosawa and Flash Gordon and so on but nobody had put the pieces together before.

If there ever is "another Star Wars" it won't be a sci-fi action movie because we're used to that. It'll be some genre that was never big, done in a way that wasn't possible before, that appeals to people who would never watch that sort of thing otherwise. Like the biggest romantic comedy of all time or something equally left field.

In terms of capturing imagination and creating new IP it was probably Harry Potter. It's going to be very interesting how they're going to grow that franchise in the future.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Philip Rivers posted:

I wish comedy/horror was a genre that was explored in more earnest. Cabin in the Woods was a masterpiece.

You seen Slither or Tucker & Dale Vs Evil? I liked those.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I still need to see Slither, thanks for reminding me of that one. Tucker & Dale is great too.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Philip Rivers posted:

Go watch Housebound, NZ-made comedy/horror. Really good.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
How do you bring up Kiwi comedy/horror and not talk about Braindead/Dead Alive?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Also Black Sheep. NZ has some great comedy/horror. Also it's not really horror but What We Do In The Shadows is amazing.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Been a while since I've seen this movie. Slit still an rear end in a top hat?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Like you wouldn't believe

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Still mediocre.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I found out yesterday that I have sleep apnea, and I was given a nose mask to wear while I sleep. It looks like this:

Last night, I put it on just before bed. My wife takes one look at me and yells "I had a baby brother! And he was :perfect: "

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Philip Rivers posted:

I still need to see Slither, thanks for reminding me of that one. Tucker & Dale is great too.

This probably isn't the best place for it, but if you bring up horror/comedy in the horror movie thread you'll end up with like 20 recommendations. I won't poo poo on Cabin in the Woods like some people, but if you're willing to go back into the 80's there's some great stuff there you may not have seen.

Ever seen Return of the Living Dead? You haven't experienced real horror/comedy until you've seen that movie.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The Zombie Guy posted:

I found out yesterday that I have sleep apnea, and I was given a nose mask to wear while I sleep. It looks like this:

Last night, I put it on just before bed. My wife takes one look at me and yells "I had a baby brother! And he was :perfect: "

Better to die a free man than live with that thing on your face imo

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Basebf555 posted:

This probably isn't the best place for it, but if you bring up horror/comedy in the horror movie thread you'll end up with like 20 recommendations. I won't poo poo on Cabin in the Woods like some people, but if you're willing to go back into the 80's there's some great stuff there you may not have seen.

Ever seen Return of the Living Dead? You haven't experienced real horror/comedy until you've seen that movie.

yeah, there's a lot of good horror/comedy stuff out there. i was just trying to think of recent stuff.

If you've not seen Ash Vs Evil Dead, it's pretty amazing. TV, not movie, but worth it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

sleep apnea is brutal. if it were me, i'd just wear the mask.

FrakkinCylon
Apr 25, 2008

My folks went to Caprica and all I got was this frakking avatar.

The Zombie Guy posted:

You married the perfect woman!

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

FrakkinCylon posted:

You married the perfect woman!
I bet she makes him go full Erectus. :quagmire:

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

You could just lose weight too I guess

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

MMAgCh posted:

I bet she makes him go full Erectus. :quagmire:

Someone should have told him you never go full retard.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Why cookie Rocket posted:

You could just lose weight too I guess

Alligator mouth is not always related to weight.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Most weight loss occurs by breathing out CO2 so it usually helps.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Reminds me of a different Tom Hardy movie if I'm honest.

"Wheb Gothab is ashes... theb you hab by berbission to die."

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 198 days!

Maxwell Lord posted:

We already had Titanic for romance.

Out-of-left-field successes still happen, and hugely popular franchises still happen. But if anything, the difference is these days we expect the most successful films to be giant successes, to the point where you see partisans gauging the success of rival superhero outings by how many tens/hundreds of millions they rake in.

To me, "another Star Wars" implies an unexpected cultural impact; which isn't really possible when we measure every film by metrics shaped by Star Wars.

Harry Potter's success as a series of novels might actually be closer than is even possible in film at the moment.

GMEEOORH
Mar 12, 2012
Just saw that this is coming back for a few more screenings this weekend at a local theatre. So I'm finally going to see it.:dance:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Whoever said George Miller was basically making silent movies was spot on. I'm making my way through the first three Mad Max movies for the first time after finding a ridiculously cheap box set and Road Warrior needs what little dialogue it has even less than Fury Road does.

My only weird complaint is that it feels wrong to watch these in crisp DVD quality on a huge flatscreen with the expectation of "I'm finally watching Mad Max!" They belong on lovely tiny tubes in the middle of the night where you happened to catch it ten minutes in and don't know what you're watching but by god you're getting hooked.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

So I just got to Beyond Thunderdome.

What the gently caress.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

My Lovely Horse posted:

What the gently caress.

Sounds about right.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

My Lovely Horse posted:

What the gently caress.

I don't dislike Thunderdome, but the last time I watched it, it felt like it was two movies that got mashed together. Plus no Black on Black.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Two movies mashed together" is exactly what it feels like. And one of them's by Spielberg.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Beyond Thunderdome, if nothing else, has amazing dialogue.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't dislike Thunderdome, but the last time I watched it, it felt like it was two movies that got mashed together. Plus no Black on Black.

It's because Miller left the project at one point, right? I think some friend of his died and he went into depression.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

It's because Miller left the project at one point, right? I think some friend of his died and he went into depression.

Byron Kennedy died, George Miller's other half for the first two movies.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I love Fury Road, definitely one of my favorite movies, but I guess I'll be in the minority by saying if people don't like it, that isn't necessarily anything negative on them. I know there was a lot of goon hype for this film, but dumping on people that didn't like it feels like a real No True Scotsman Fallacy "If you didn't like it then you have horrible taste in movies/nobody that actually cares about good movies would hate a movie like this".

Personally, I liked it because Road Warrior was one of my favorite movies, and the idea of a film that is basically Road Warrior on Steroids is right up my alley. My wife considered it a better-than-average action film but didn't think it was necessarily amazing, and that's ok- we have different tastes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

My Lovely Horse posted:

Whoever said George Miller was basically making silent movies was spot on. I'm making my way through the first three Mad Max movies for the first time after finding a ridiculously cheap box set and Road Warrior needs what little dialogue it has even less than Fury Road does.

My only weird complaint is that it feels wrong to watch these in crisp DVD quality on a huge flatscreen with the expectation of "I'm finally watching Mad Max!" They belong on lovely tiny tubes in the middle of the night where you happened to catch it ten minutes in and don't know what you're watching but by god you're getting hooked.

This was the first time I saw the Road Warrior by the way. It was during the climactic tanker chase at the end and I got hooked.

Also, I wish I knew how to edit video because I want to make a plinky-piano accompanied black and white silent film edit of Fury Road with sparsely placed title cards, namely " :byodood: WITNESS ME!" and :mediocre:

• Locked thread