Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MustardFacial posted:

My now 1 week old daughter who has no real immune system to speak of now has an eye infection because despite my best efforts of saying to my family "Don't bring anyone over", "wash your hands before you pick her up", "she's not a loving toy your morons, leave her alone" it seems they didn't listen. On top of that, when my wife took her to the doctor she left our front door wide open.

It's funny how family members that you see maybe a few times a year all of a sudden want to come over all the time to see the baby. poo poo gets annoying. Then once the baby is grown up and into the terrible 2's and 3's they stop offering to babysit and are magically busy when you need someone to watch your kid. Good times!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

SCA Enthusiast posted:

I can't tell if that looks completely stupid and also kind of fun in a silly way, or just completely stupid.

Yes.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

So how did your grades turn out, Enourmo? You gave us all the lead up, but not the payoff.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

MustardFacial posted:

My now 1 week old daughter who has no real immune system to speak of now has an eye infection because despite my best efforts of saying to my family "Don't bring anyone over", "wash your hands before you pick her up", "she's not a loving toy your morons, leave her alone" it seems they didn't listen. On top of that, when my wife took her to the doctor she left our front door wide open.

I'm not allowed to be mad at her of course because "I don't need this right now." This all happened while I was at work because my boss wouldn't give me the time off I asked for because as he says "there is paperwork to do that needs to be done before the end of the month." Why can't anyone else do it? Well that's because I am the youngest person in this office by at least 30 years, and thus I'm the only person who knows how to use a computer :fuckoff:

That seems very un-Canadian bro. :canada:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Canadians are assholes.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

meatpimp posted:

So how did your grades turn out, Enourmo? You gave us all the lead up, but not the payoff.

Somehow i didn't feel inclined to post in the May thread that much. :shrug:

Ended up with a 3.0 for the semester, grades ranging from C+ to A, B- in Thermo.

It was one of those semesters where even once the results were better than I expected, there was no relief, just "thank gently caress that's over with, on to the next poo poo"

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

fyodor posted:

That seems very un-Canadian bro. :canada:

gently caress you eh

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

MustardFacial posted:

gently caress you eh

I mean about not getting your paternity leave. :canada:

also, :thejoke:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hoooly poo poo I almost left a loving hammer in my engine bay.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Enourmo posted:

Somehow i didn't feel inclined to post in the May thread that much. :shrug:

Ended up with a 3.0 for the semester, grades ranging from C+ to A, B- in Thermo.

It was one of those semesters where even once the results were better than I expected, there was no relief, just "thank gently caress that's over with, on to the next poo poo"

That's really not bad for all the whining you were doing. :D Congratulations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

um excuse me posted:

Hoooly poo poo I almost left a loving hammer in my engine bay.

um excuse me you left a hammer in your engine bay

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Goober Peas posted:

um excuse me you left a hammer in your engine bay

Goober, Peas don't make such an obvious joke.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, we have four windows on the side of our house that are roughly 2'sq, and face directly west.

Sounds great, until you remember I live in socal and electricity in the summer costs $Tesla and those windows get completely unblocked sun for ~8hrs every day.

These windows are 30' above the floor, and 8' out from the loft.

So I just screwed eye hooks into two pieces of PVC, put double sided tape on squares of shade fabric, pushed wire through the fabric to make loops...then ferried the fabric across and pushed the tape down with a long 2x4. Looks Jerry rigged as gently caress (literally no one but the wife and I will see it), and wife wasn't too amused, but holy gently caress my house just dropped 5* instantly and is steadily cooling more.

gently caress you, summer.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sounds like a horrendous failure to design to the environment, good on you for correcting that mistake.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Why not try some window tint first?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

BraveUlysses posted:

Probably because of the 30' above the ground part.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Chocolatey is the best drat thing to go with Windows. Makes adminsitration so goddamn fun....

Oh wait, not those Windows.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BraveUlysses posted:

Because it's 30'+ above the ground and 7'+ from the loft floor?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I left my tools a mess after working on the car for 5 hours last night. Ain't give a drat.

I also forgot to put the cabin filter back in.

:ughh:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ilkhan posted:

Probably because of the 30' above the ground part.

So use a 30' ladder?

I had tint put on my east facing bedroom windows and it made a huge improvement.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

leica posted:

So use a 30' ladder?

I've been shot at, sprayed in the face with sewage, picked up rattle snakes, and met goons in real life.

I get the shakes on a step ladder. So noooope.

Edit: plus nowhere near me rents one, and them bitches = expensive.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
I put the tint film on the inside of the north-facing (southern hemisphere) window in our upstairs bathroom, as per the instructions, and it's worked wonders, literally 10C colder in there in summer

no ladder required

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

I've been shot at, sprayed in the face with sewage, picked up rattle snakes, and met goons in real life.

I get the shakes on a step ladder. So noooope.

Edit: plus nowhere near me rents one, and them bitches = expensive.

Hire someone to do it, they have all the ladders they need. I paid my tint guy to do my house because I hate dealing with the poo poo, and apparently residential film is different than automotive film and even more difficult to deal with so gently caress that, I pay other people to tint things :v:

It is great though, blocks a shitload of heat while still letting light in.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

leica posted:

Hire someone to do it, they have all the ladders they need. I paid my tint guy to do my house because I hate dealing with the poo poo, and apparently residential film is different than automotive film and even more difficult to deal with so gently caress that, I pay other people to tint things :v:

It is great though, blocks a shitload of heat while still letting light in.

We did. And got quoted $220 by the cheap guys and $350 by the expensive dude.

Not worth it. This cost me $10 in tape, the rest we already had :v:

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

Indian mom chat is yet another reason why I love this forum so much. Knowledge from around the world.

So I'm wrapping up an engine swap on a 2007 Volvo C70 today, and Ford is all over this thing. The entire suspension is Ford designed, and as I'm trying to shove the air box back in to the engine bay, the official procedure is to loosen one of the mounts and move the motor. It was a bitch to get out, worse to get in. Volvo never did that kind of crap to me.

On the plus side it's gonna be a gorgeous car. I haven't been taking pics or anything because I'm a newbie at this motor and made several mistakes taking it out. And I hope there's never a next time.

It's weird, isn't it? I've done a few minor things to the V50 I bought a couple weeks ago and despite the Volvo drivetrain it doesn't feel like working on a Volvo at all, for better or for worse.

Are you fixing it up for yourself?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Man, I hate new car shopping. I need a driving appliance to replace my Cherokee XJ because I don't have anyplace to work anymore, but I keep getting gunshy at prices.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 2, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

We did. And got quoted $220 by the cheap guys and $350 by the expensive dude.

Not worth it. This cost me $10 in tape, the rest we already had :v:

Yikes. Yeah I didn't pay close to that, but I'm sure your windows being that high was a factor.

Or maybe it's the Cali tax :v:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

leica posted:

Yikes. Yeah I didn't pay close to that, but I'm sure your windows being that high was a factor.

Or maybe it's the Cali tax :v:

Probably both :v:

As much as I really do love it here...I can't wait to be back in Florida.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

iwentdoodie posted:

As much as I really do love it here...I can't wait to be back in Florida.

When I went to Florida 10 years ago, the flatness always made me uneasy. Something that flat is just not right

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Who's got two thumbs and got a bachelor of science in electrical engineering tonight?

This guy!

My last year turned out pretty great, A's and A+'s all round, with a single C in the last semester. That course kept me up at night wondering if it would prevent me from graduating, when I saw the results I can't tell you how happy I was. (Statistical mechanics for those wondering, think thermodynamics without using the laws, just statistical reasoning. Interesting course, but it was hard wrapping my head around some of it. )

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Bajaha posted:

Who's got two thumbs and got a bachelor of science in electrical engineering tonight?

This guy!

My last year turned out pretty great, A's and A+'s all round, with a single C in the last semester. That course kept me up at night wondering if it would prevent me from graduating, when I saw the results I can't tell you how happy I was. (Statistical mechanics for those wondering, think thermodynamics without using the laws, just statistical reasoning. Interesting course, but it was hard wrapping my head around some of it. )

Congrats dude!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

When I went to Florida 10 years ago, the flatness always made me uneasy. Something that flat is just not right

The Gulf coast makes up for it though, some of the best beaches in the world and the tropical weather is what keeps me here.

But yeah if you're into rolling hills and twisty roads you'll be highly disappointed.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

MrOnBicycle posted:

I posted a while back about stupidly wanting a 2.0 1990 Honda Accord for no real reason other than it's in mint condition. I can't stop thinking about it.

It couldn't be any more of a pensioners car if it tried. It's done 33.5k miles. Probably top of the range trim level but not the optional leather seats. I stalked the owner history, and it was bought new by someone in their 60's, then transferred to the wife (aged 72 by then) in 2004. Probably because the husband passed away (:().

Here's the kicker though, the dealer has it listed for $4700, which to me is pretty insane for a 26 year old car that isn't really a "special car".

I'm probably gonna go see it though, he has loads of old "cheap" cars anyway. A couple of Alfa GTVs, some old Fiats. BMWs. All seem to be in that price range. Could be fun (and dangerous for the wallet).

I have no idea about trim levels there, but the top level for the US got a sunroof. The only way to get a sunroof on them (and I'm almost positive this is still the case today) is to opt for the EX or EX-L trim. IIRC those wheel covers and the unpainted door handles were only available on the poverty spec base model in the US (which meant manual windows, manual locks, manual mirrors, etc) - but I don't know if you could mix the base model exterior items with stuff like power windows and locks in other markets.

I'd be more concerned with owning such an old car that hasn't been driven. Probably on its original timing belt, and likely on all the original seals and gaskets, so once it starts being used regularly, either the timing belt will let go or it'll start pissing oil everywhere.

MrOnBicycle posted:

To be honest, most decent Hondas and such are either 150k milers

Tell me I'm not the only one who considers 150k to be barely broken in for a Honda (or, well, most cars now)...

Previa_fun posted:

I keep my corn in the freezer and then just boil it for a bit and slap some butter and salt and pepper on it for a no effort side. Weak corn game.

Grill until it starts to blacken, then slather in butter, salt, and chili powder. Maybe some lime if you're feeling fancy.

MustardFacial posted:

Does high milage oil actually do anything or is it just a marketing gimmick?

For what it's worth, I was losing ~2 qts of oil between (long) oil changes. Dropped to 1-1.5 qts after switching to high mileage. Same brand (Mobil 1). No visible leaks that I can find, and AFAIK the engine has never had the valve cover removed or otherwise opened for anything beyond typical maintenance. Never seen any smoke.

It has a total capacity of 5 quarts; seems as if 1.5 quarts low puts it right on the "add" mark. I run the oil for 8-10k miles (I go by the oil life monitor). That's less oil consumption than a lot of brand new engines. My last Blackstone analysis basically came back with a glowing review of the engine's internal health (admittedly that was a couple of years ago).

Same engine that's in your car. Broke 141k miles/227k km today. And no price difference between regular Mobil 1 and high mileage Mobil 1, so I just run the high mileage version. I figure as long as it gets regular oil changes, the high mileage stuff isn't hurting anything (even if the oil use difference is placebo). :iiam:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 2, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Bajaha posted:

This guy!

Congratulations. Now you can spend the next 20 years paying off those student loans! No idea if you have student loans.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Locator posted:

Congratulations. Now you can spend the next 20 years paying off those student loans! No idea if you have student loans.

I went to private school and it only took me 5 years to pay off my loans. If he went to public school any loans should be cheap as hell especially if you follow my revolutionary "loving pay them" method.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Bear in mind that education in Manitoba is far less rapey than basically anywhere else in NA. Lots of my friends spent their post-secondary years studying in MB and working summers here.
e:

corn in the fridge posted:

Lol guess which luxury high end manufacturer uses these things everywhere and for everything
Welp, thanks for taking 2 or 3 expensive entries off my automotive bucket list.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 2, 2016

blk
Dec 19, 2009

zundfolge posted:

It's weird, isn't it? I've done a few minor things to the V50 I bought a couple weeks ago and despite the Volvo drivetrain it doesn't feel like working on a Volvo at all, for better or for worse.

Are you fixing it up for yourself?

How are you liking the V50 so far? What year/drivetrain?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Painting in this house is loving soul destroying. 4 coats before it looks good, with decent paint. Next time round will be a piece of piss because the walls won't be sucking the moisture out of the paint so quickly.

And I have a hangover from one bottle of IPA, weak.

The paint sprayer I used on the fence is supposed to work with emulsion, how brave/desperate will I be by the end of today?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

literally a fish posted:

I put the tint film on the inside of the north-facing (southern hemisphere) window in our upstairs bathroom, as per the instructions, and it's worked wonders, literally 10C colder in there in summer
Every year I look into film to block the heat in the summer and add a little bit of insulation in the winter. One of these years I might actually do it.

Bajaha posted:

:hfive: Nice work man

Cakefool posted:

Painting in this house is loving soul destroying. 4 coats before it looks good, with decent paint. Next time round will be a piece of piss because the walls won't be sucking the moisture out of the paint so quickly.
Guy I bought the house from painted it the day before I closed on the house so all the walls and stuff look good and it's brick outside but I've been thinking of painting inside since everything is a boring eggshell white type color. We'll see, the girlfriend wants to help me decorate and make the place look like less of a bachelor pad.

So do I bring the 928 to the BMW meet this weekend? E21 has issues keeping it from going, E28 airbox isn't back from media blasting and painting yet and E30 has an oil leak.

Also cross post from the BMW thread because I'd like all the feedback I can get:

NitroSpazzz posted:

Trying to figure out what engine to put in that race car chassis. Main goal for the thing is keep it super light, I'm aiming for under 2200lb with a full (~15 gal) fuel cell. A few engine options:
a.) There's a 90k mile s52b32 for $2500 a couple hours away. Would need an ECU, M30 oil pan and a couple other odds and ends to put it in the car. Total price would probably end up under $3500
b.) I can get a running m42b18 for basically free, would need to track down a transmission for a couple hundred. Punch out the block to 86mm (+2mm) to fit s50b30 pistons, run a m47 diesel crank and 138mm rods to make a 2.1L m42. Solid lifters (VW), s50/54 individual throttle bodies and megasquirt engine management. Should make around 200hp at 7k rpm, be able to rev to 8k. Total cost around $3500
c.) Buy the s52 and run it while I build the m42
Keep in mind I haven't even picked up the car yet, it's going to be a long term (maybe on the road next spring) project and the street-ability of the engine isn't a concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

I have no idea about trim levels there, but the top level for the US got a sunroof. The only way to get a sunroof on them (and I'm almost positive this is still the case today) is to opt for the EX or EX-L trim. IIRC those wheel covers and the unpainted door handles were only available on the poverty spec base model in the US (which meant manual windows, manual locks, manual mirrors, etc) - but I don't know if you could mix the base model exterior items with stuff like power windows and locks in other markets.
According to the public vehicle registry, that one has a sunroof.

• Locked thread