Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There aren't any native cases in Texas, or anywhere in the US afaik, yet. That means all the Zika cases are from people who traveled to S/C America and picked it up there.

But all the Gulf states are at risk, places like Florida and MS will be just as bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I was thinking more of a lack of access to contraception. That Texas women's health program only covers women 18 and older, and CHIP doesn't cover contraception.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well so far, the vast, vast majority of Zika cases have been mosquito transmitted, with only a handful of sexually transmitted cases. Also for contraception to be effective, pretty much everyone would have to have sex with condoms during a Zika outbreak, including long term monogamous couples that don't worry about STDs.

The take away is, in my opinion, the reduction of PP services in Texas will not have an appreciable effect on the number of Zika cases in Texas, assuming the feared outbreak happens.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I like it :shobon: I've always found rain and low-key thunderstorms soothing, like I got last night in north austin. I feel like I'd do well in the PNW.

Meanwhile, I'm in the PNW and it's 100 out (well it will be on Saturday).

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

zoux posted:

Well so far, the vast, vast majority of Zika cases have been mosquito transmitted, with only a handful of sexually transmitted cases. Also for contraception to be effective, pretty much everyone would have to have sex with condoms during a Zika outbreak, including long term monogamous couples that don't worry about STDs.

The take away is, in my opinion, the reduction of PP services in Texas will not have an appreciable effect on the number of Zika cases in Texas, assuming the feared outbreak happens.

Lack of access to abortion might result in a much larger number of severely disabled microhead babies being born. Here's hoping we figure out some way to deal with it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Twerk from Home posted:

Lack of access to abortion might result in a much larger number of severely disabled microhead babies being born. Here's hoping we figure out some way to deal with it.

Microhead baby beanies and hats. Microhead bicycle helmets?

I'm getting in on the ground floor on these.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Aliquid posted:

The woman that died at the greenbelt was my friend :(

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend. I must have missed this news piece while doing chores around the house. Would you mind terribly if I ask for a link to her story?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Whoever selects pictures to run with Texas Tribune stories has it out for Ken Starr.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Svanja posted:

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend. I must have missed this news piece while doing chores around the house. Would you mind terribly if I ask for a link to her story?

http://kxan.com/2016/05/30/rescue-crews-recover-body-of-a-woman-who-drowned-near-barton-springs/

To make this relevant for Texas politics, there's some question if the creek should have been closed down for tubing given the flow rate. The city is probably going to re-evaluate their current standards given what happened. (As the flow was only about 55% of the level needed for the city to declare the creek closed.)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Has there been any discussion about FEMA reevaluating flood plains or more flood control works in Texas? It seems like the same places have been flooding whenever it rains over the past couple years.

Has it been this bad before, and I just don't remember because I wasn't paying attention before the drought started?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hell, SRV wrote a song about it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/balajis/status/738128228854816768

Amazing!

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

God drat, I seriously hope one of the TNCs that are starting up to fill the Austin market end up turning into a major Uber competitor. It'll be the most delicious bit of justice to throw in the faces of all these people busy sucking VC cock and decrying Austin.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Omg.

My buddy was telling me that a new nonprofit ride share app launched today, but that apparently there was some kind of coordinated effort to bring down the system through fraudulent bookings. Whether or not that was mad SV people or mad Uber people or if it even happened because I never checked into it at all, who can say.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
gently caress it, I'm throwing in fully with the old hippies. Purge all Californians, ban all further development, make ACL one weekend. Make Austin Weird Again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

And cancel loving SXSW

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I'm moving from Oregon to Dallas, what insanity can I expect to find in Texas politics?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

zoux posted:

Hell, SRV wrote a song about it.

He didn't write that song, just played the hell out of it

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Quandary posted:

I'm moving from Oregon to Dallas, what insanity can I expect to find in Texas politics?

why would you do this

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

1stGear posted:

gently caress it, I'm throwing in fully with the old hippies. Purge all Californians, ban all further development, make ACL one weekend. Make Austin Weird Again.

Keep ACL two weekends but sell less tickets to each weekend.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

blue squares posted:

why would you do this

Employment, unfortunately.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Quandary posted:

Two prominent Dallas politicians got in a fist fight at a gospel radio station http://heavy.com/news/2016/02/watch...dates-what-why/

Just expect a lot of corruption

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Keep SXSW but Circa 1990 Gibby Haynes matches musicians to venues.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Quandary posted:

Dallas is just racism and segregation. Nothing special.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

More important is which sports area axis are you going to choose. The Dallas fanbase is loving dire.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Quandary posted:

Employment, unfortunately.

As someone (perhaps in this thread) once said, Dallas is so fake that it loops all the way back around to being genuine again. I mean, it's 90% suburban hell, but there are pockets of interesting and very cool stuff going on there.

As far as politics, you'll meet a breed of gun nut in North Texas like none other on earth. Tarrant County open carry advocates are the kind of guys who try to take their AR-15s into Chili's.

Really, though, Texas is less a big-C Convervative state as it is a small-c conservative state. Most people just doesn't care much about politics one way or another, as long as it doesn't end up interrupting their daily life. Voter turnout is absurdly low, to the point where you'll see important run-off primaries with turnout under 9% (and run-off primaries are often the most crucial elections).

EDIT: Also, you can sum up pretty much all of Texas politics in this story from Molly Ivins (it starts at 3:00 in this kinda :nws: clip) https://youtu.be/GaUl6x1YXpg

EDIT 2: Seriously, look upon our voter turnout numbers, ye mighty, and despair. Ted Cruz is our senator right now because the total turnout for the Republican primary runoff he won was 8.5%.

e_angst fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 2, 2016

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I was looking at the app for getme, and people are upset that the prices are so high. Never mind that is probably what a reasonable rate is to actually pay your drivers decently.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I just spent a weekend back with friends and we used a couple of the alternative apps and everything was okay. I even called up the airport shuttle and got a ride to the airport for probably half of what über would have charged, including the tip.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Quandary posted:

- Most people really don't like talking about politics, but the ones that do are really crazy

- You'll learn to tune out most everything the state government does

- The state government actually only meets every other year so you probably won't know they're in session unless it's to defund abortion

- There will be dumb constitutional amendments during every single election

- Whole lot more references to Jesus

- If you're lucky, you'll get a Democrat for your House rep that's mostly uncontested. If you're unlucky, it's a Republican and also most of the down ballot races have either Republican or Libertarian candidates

- Overall, probably best to chill, enjoy the Mexican food, and prepare for that sweet 8.25% sales tax.

zoux posted:

More important is which sports area axis are you going to choose. The Dallas fanbase is loving dire.

Related to this: if you like Basketball, be a Spurs fan. If you don't like Basketball, you should because woof at anything else (except I guess the Astros last year).

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Here, enjoy a state of the union on Texas professional sports:

Texas Rangers made World Series appearances in 2010 and 2011, stole the division from the Astros last season, and overall faltered only for a season or two before getting back on their feet and competing again.

The Houston Astros got swept in the 2005 World Series and since then....a complete void. A black hole. Last season they shocked the league with a hot 3/4ths of a season, all before letting it all slip away on the last game of the season against the Rangers. Our Governor cursed them in a playoff game they had won until he tweeted early about advancing in the playoffs. Oops.

Dallas Mavericks won the title in 2011, and have made it to the playoffs an absurd amount of times. There are plenty of areas that would kill for what the Mavs have, but unfortunately they share a state with the Spurs. The Mavs are the underdog of Texas basketball.

The Rockets have a tendency to put a talented roster together and fail to get it to execute. The organization is kinda rebuilding...sorta...in a way that as a Mavs fan I wish we could do.

The Spurs are the San Antonio Spurs. What the gently caress do I need to tell you about them?

The Dallas Cowboys: :lol:

The Houston Texans: :lol: x 2

The Dallas Stars are loving great. Please watch them next season and we can be friends.

Oh yeah, something about college sports goes here. Who cares?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

College football here

UT is terrible. I'm alumni and I even hate them now.

Baylor uhm well they're good but that's because they let their players just rape whatever's around.

A&M. They don't even play in Texas anymore so gently caress them.

Texas tech. Only popular because their coach takes pictures of himself shirtless with coeds. I played soccer with kliff so I figure I can insult him. They were relevant once.

Just support the Spurs. It's really the best option to have a somewhat happy existence.

I forgot tcu because gently caress tcu.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

texas state and UTSA joining the big kids' club is adorable

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I forgot Houston. They're slowly becoming relevant but it's a gimmick scheme. Basically baby Texas tech.

Someone else will have to do basketball. Baylor is murders instead of rapes there.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Quandary posted:

Saying X has better BBQ than Texas is a good way to get shot and have the cops look the away.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Shinjobi posted:

The Dallas Cowboys: Hey! Remember the 90's?!?

Fixed that for you.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

jaegerx posted:

Texas tech. Only popular because their coach takes pictures of himself shirtless with coeds. I played soccer with kliff so I figure I can insult him. They were relevant once.

As a TTU alumni I can say that the Raiders have some of the worst loving fans. Like, throwing batteries on the field at A&M games (Get it guys? It's battery!). Since they got in trouble for that they now throw tortillas.

Of course as someone who never gave a single gently caress about football, my opinion of football teams has never really been the highest. But after living in the dorm closest to the stadium for 3 years, and then working for the Firehouse Subs directly across the street to said stadium during a homecoming game against UT...I may be a tad bitter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

uh huh.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

zoux posted:

uh huh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frhR0-esSqU

"A loop hole! That's what perverts have been waiting for!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Honestly the lines in the women's bathrooms are long enough with adding perverts to the mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

e_angst posted:

Fixed that for you.

It's not fair that Troy reminds us by being on the teevee every week with his expert analysis :unsmith: