Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

GreyPowerVan posted:

Does eve have more or less actual players than it did 4 or 5 years ago?

Less alts, but more individual players. People don't tend to take the game as seriously as they did back in 2007 so it's not really required to have 12 alts. Subscriptions may be down slightly but the amount of actual players roaming space is far far higher than when I previously played in 2010-2011. I used to check character's age when I saw them enter local since it used to give a quick gauge on how much SP they'd have. Somewhere around 2011-2013 there was a huge churn in player base and all the old 2003-2006 era players seemed to gently caress off and a new generation had come in. I'd see more reg dates dating to a time around 2013 than anything else.

People might proclaim EVE a dead game but I think it's the total opposite. Alts idling in stations don't generate content. The increased player counts cause plenty of grudges to be made which eventually pan out into wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

yeah as far as i can tell the only evidence is them getting banned and unbanned, or just getting banned. no one other than CCP has any evidence it looks like

Yeah, I just read this https://www.themittani.com/features/inside-iwantisk-vs-sma-war/page/0/1 and get the impression this whole thing is the result of SMA leadership throwing poo poo at a wall hoping something would stick and save them

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
im the pl guys defending their money stream

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

YouTuber posted:

Less alts, but more individual players. People don't tend to take the game as seriously as they did back in 2007 so it's not really required to have 12 alts. Subscriptions may be down slightly but the amount of actual players roaming space is far far higher than when I previously played in 2010-2011. I used to check character's age when I saw them enter local since it used to give a quick gauge on how much SP they'd have. Somewhere around 2011-2013 there was a huge churn in player base and all the old 2003-2006 era players seemed to gently caress off and a new generation had come in. I'd see more reg dates dating to a time around 2013 than anything else.

People might proclaim EVE a dead game but I think it's the total opposite. Alts idling in stations don't generate content. The increased player counts cause plenty of grudges to be made which eventually pan out into wars.

Is there any way to differentiate between actual individuals vs. alts? I've been resubbed for 1.5 months and got the exact opposite impression - it seems alts are up, individuals are down

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

im the pl guys defending their money stream

I'm in an alliance that was never contracted by IWI, nice try tho

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Is there any way to differentiate between actual individuals vs. alts? I've been resubbed for 1.5 months and got the exact opposite impression - it seems alts are up, individuals are down

this is what literally everyone not salastil has figured out yes

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

It's not something you can easily take a ruler to and measure. I just go off instinct and I can tell that the player base has increased maybe double or triple since when I last played in 2011. It was quite the shock when I came back at how fast and how many people would form up and chase me around. Not only that, the various UI changes have made players far more capable than when I quit. When I played the Blackops crew was considered top shelf talent. If you teleported us forward in time from 2009-2010 to now we'd just be average, maybe slightly above-average.

All in all, there are less bots, less alts and more players. The total aggregate might be down and less revenue for CCP but the activity levels are higher.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

thats what you think :)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

ullerrm posted:

Meals on Wheels feeding the poor and infirm. Pay it no mind.

So overt racism is no longer tolerated by goons, however jabs about physical disabilities are obviously fair game? :allears:

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!

jm20 posted:

So overt racism is no longer tolerated by goons, however jabs about physical disabilities are obviously fair game? :allears:

:frogbon: well thank god the morality police are here to try and remind us we don't have a leg to stand on

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

jm20 posted:

Oh god shut up idiot.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
thank you for both jumping on that light grenade for the rest of us

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Fix Lag posted:

:frogbon: well thank god the morality police are here to try and remind us we don't have a leg to stand on

ableism should also be banned from this thread

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

ableism should also be banned from this thread

I disagree. It would really cripple the discussion.

4th Horseman
Jun 3, 2011
Is that the one prejudice you're not cool with?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

4th Horseman posted:

Is that the one prejudice you're not cool with?

http://i.imgur.com/NH6HRCL.gifv

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
"since midnight club failed, other gambling sites are now rife with rmt"

with all these crack detectives itt, ccp should just lay off their security pros imo

4th Horseman
Jun 3, 2011

Just pretend I'm quoting your rap sheet in this space.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

4th Horseman posted:

Just pretend I'm quoting your rap sheet in this space.

k

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

YouTuber posted:

It's not something you can easily take a ruler to and measure. I just go off instinct and I can tell that the player base has increased maybe double or triple since when I last played in 2011. It was quite the shock when I came back at how fast and how many people would form up and chase me around. Not only that, the various UI changes have made players far more capable than when I quit. When I played the Blackops crew was considered top shelf talent. If you teleported us forward in time from 2009-2010 to now we'd just be average, maybe slightly above-average.

All in all, there are less bots, less alts and more players. The total aggregate might be down and less revenue for CCP but the activity levels are higher.

This is in low/nullsec though; I think hisec players might be significantly diminished.

Like EVE seems to now be a lot of nullsec people and their alts, and there still are a lot of guys in PL who have like 12 accounts running various industrial operations.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

unironic rap sheet smugging? well how about that

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

for what its worth thats a pretty epic rap sheet

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Otacon posted:

for what its worth thats a pretty epic rap sheet

:stare:

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

all sins are purified at the alter of :10bux:

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
Eve politics, ladies and gentlemen.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

bluegoon posted:

Eve politics, ladies and gentlemen.

shut up idiot

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Enhance your calm, fellow poster.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

bluegoon posted:

Enhance your calm, fellow poster.

Shut up, idiot.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
bluegoon you're not bad ignore these nay sayers

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

hailthefish posted:

Shut up, idiot.

There are many walks of life in goons, from fat ones like boat, to people struggling with personal issues that they try to seperate from the game. Do yourself a favor and please grow up. It is pretty annoying having to hear how "Joe Goon" has started personal attacks and jokes toward anyone, which causes people to not want to be around. Leave that poo poo to phorde and reddit, they find those childish things funny still for some reason

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
shut up idiot

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!

Xolve posted:

There are many walks of life in goons, from fat ones like boat, to people struggling with personal issues that they try to seperate from the game. Do yourself a favor and please grow up. It is pretty annoying having to hear how "Joe Goon" has started personal attacks and jokes toward anyone, which causes people to not want to be around. Leave that poo poo to phorde and reddit, they find those childish things funny still for some reason

source your quotes

I know you took that from somewhere

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Fix Lag posted:

source your quotes

I know you took that from somewhere

not all of us are incapable of original thoughts

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

not all of us are incapable of original thoughts

that self inclusive pronoun is deeply undeserved there

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
Sheath your katanas guys, please! This hate is mindless!

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

Blazing Zero posted:

unironic rap sheet smugging? well how about that

Look at that mother fuckers rap sheet. It will amaze you.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

bluegoon posted:

Sheath your katanas guys, please! This hate is mindless!

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

hailthefish posted:

Shut up, idiot.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

that self inclusive pronoun is deeply undeserved there

Why don't you 'moderate' your temper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread