Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Killer robot posted:

But Trump's flavor of right wing populism is pretty well established in Europe already, so I'm not sure how that works.

It works by coming out of the brain of someone who didn't know what they were talking about and thought if they kept talking no one would notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

Like Sharkie said, such speech carries little weight since it lacks the impact of speech targeted at minorities. Like, black people can call white honkies, but there isn't the same history (or capability) of oppression and violence there to back that up. There are a number of factors the contribute to the "effectiveness" of hateful speech, including stuff like power and how accepted by the public those views are (with something like addiction the latter is the main reason it is hurtful).

While I'm sure that there are some MRA types who are delusional enough to truly believe that they're being oppressed, the problem there is more the delusion than the speech itself.

Yeah, I'm not going to call white people honkies just because it doesn't hurt them as much as calling a minority a slur.

And regardless of what you might think, poo poo like this does have an effect and talking about it like it doesn't or justifying the effect because it lesser doesn't excuse the behavior.

In summation, though, as a white dude... gently caress white dudes.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Geostomp posted:

The Alt-right "debate" style is trying to drag everyone down to a Middle School level, then beating them with experience.

No it isn't. Their style is to harass Respectability Politics types until they crack and get indignant, and they change the subject constantly until they get to say "u mad?". They know literally nothing else. They have no experience with middle-school fights, just harassing adult figures until they get what they want. It's why Milo's favorite target is Ben Shapiro. Milo had a meltdown over losing his verified mark. The man went on a doxing crusade when he lost a twitter popularity poll. Milo would poo poo himself in rage/anxiety if he ever found himself in a game of The Dozens.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Shbobdb posted:

Counterpoint: Germany gets along quite well and manages to be a free and democratic society, despite some of the strictest hate speech laws on record.

Places like Turkey that abuse restrictions on free speech tend to have bigger problems so the challenges associated with restrictions in free speech are tied to other, anti democratic problems. Even then, it isn't always bad. Singapore absolutely uses hate speech laws in a political manner but even with those totalitarian abuses, Singapore is held up as an example of a a free country with many more rights than its neighbors.

Even the extreme cases of abuse aren't that bad unless the situation is already hosed.

But the situation can be hosed. Trump. North Carolina. Kansas/Oklahoma/insert rural hellhole here. Hell, back to Trump, dude has literally stated on several occasions that he wants to crack down on freedom of the press by making libel laws stronger. I am quite happy that America has an unusually strong and absolutist values towards free speech at this moment in time. Cracking the first amendment to better target gross, but comparatively harmless beardos on college campuses is not a smart trade, in my opinion.

Also, it is a common conservative tactic to link certain left-leaning political movements to hate speech. BLM = anti-white, anti-police. Pro-Palestinian activists = anti-semitic. Do you think Kansas is going to be more interested in investigating claims of hate speech by BLM, or radical anti-abortionists?

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 1, 2016

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Chilichimp posted:

Yeah, I'm not going to call white people honkies just because it doesn't hurt them as much as calling a minority a slur.

And regardless of what you might think, poo poo like this does have an effect and talking about it like it doesn't or justifying the effect because it lesser doesn't excuse the behavior.

I would say that the difference between a minority using a slur against a white guy versus a white guy doing it to a minority isn't simply a difference in the degree of effect, but rather it's an entirely different thing. If slurs are about power, and they are, then a white guy using slurs is both drawing from and reinforcing an abusive historical power structure as well as asserting his own hierarchical power. The reverse case is nothing of the sort.

In fact one could argue that a minority using slurs against a white person is an instance of someone fighting against these historical power structures to claim a share of their own power and self-determination, something that has traditionally been denied them, and is therefore just.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
But there are plenty of German and French goons. Only some of them posting from dystopian anti free speech Faraday cages.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Periodiko posted:

But the situation can be hosed. Trump. North Carolina. Kansas/Oklahoma/insert rural hellhole here. Hell, back to Trump, dude has literally stated on several occasions that he wants to crack down on freedom of the press by making libel laws stronger. I am quite happy that America has an unusually strong and absolutist values towards free speech at this moment in time. Cracking the first amendment to better target gross, but comparatively harmless beardos on college campuses is not a smart trade, in my opinion.

Also, it is a common conservative tactic to link certain left-leaning political movements to hate speech. BLM = anti-white, anti-police. Pro-Palestinian activists = anti-semitic. Do you think Kansas is going to be more interested in investigating claims of hate speech by BLM, or anti-abortionists?

Sure, you are arguing from a messed up totalitarian society. Is "free speech" really what is wrong with North Carolina/Kansas/Oklahoma/racist hellhole?

We needed big government to break Jim Crow but modern mother hubbards would talk about how soldiers marching children to school sets a bad precedent.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

MariusLecter posted:

But is cracker as bad as the N-word?

It probably is. :ohdear:

If you're comparing the badness of two words, and you won't even say one of them, that's the worst word!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Sharkie posted:

I would say that the difference between a minority using a slur against a white guy versus a white guy doing it to a minority isn't simply a difference in the degree of effect, but rather it's an entirely different thing. If slurs are about power, and they are, then a white guy using slurs is both drawing from and reinforcing an abusive historical power structure as well as asserting his own hierarchical power. The reverse case is nothing of the sort.

In fact one could argue that a minority using slurs against a white person is an instance of someone fighting against these historical power structures to claim a share of their own power and self-determination, something that has traditionally been denied them, and is therefore just.

Or maybe instead of diving into the academia surrounding the socio/psycho-political ramifications of racial slurs and what ethnic makeup, context, crowd and time of day is required to morally use them we could all just agree that calling people mean racist names is a bad and dumb thing for anyone to do and stop doing it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Sharkie posted:

And how exactly do you plan to legislate this distinction?

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Shbobdb posted:

Sure, you are arguing from a messed up totalitarian society. Is "free speech" really what is wrong with North Carolina/Kansas/Oklahoma/racist hellhole?

We needed big government to break Jim Crow but modern mother hubbards would talk about how soldiers marching children to school sets a bad precedent.

A broad interpretation of the 1st amendment has huge implications. On what constitutional principal are you going to construct very broad hate speech laws that cannot be used to construct instruments against valuable free speech? I am NOT arguing from a messed up totalitarian society. I am arguing that these tools you might give to a friendly administration could be quite easily abused with even a mainstream shift to the right.

Look at the PATRIOT act. Look at what is mainstream to say about Muslims, or BLM activists. The two leading presidential candidates of the GOP proposed intrusive anti-free speech laws, monitoring and policing Mosques, stronger libel laws against those critical of the president. These are mainstream views. And there are dozens of quite regressive state legislatures and governors that would be happy to have expanded powers to police free speech.

The view that BLM was engaging in literally dangerous speech is absolutely mainstream in American discourse. What happens if a 9/11-level terrorist attack happens on US soil? That's not a Man in the High Castle speculation, that's a very real possibility.

This is not the time to be deciding that maybe the first amendment shouldn't be interpreted as broadly or strongly as it has. This is the time for the opposite. This is the time for re-affirming the values of a democratic, open society with an absolutist's zeal. I am resisting the urge to quote Chomsky, but this is hardly a regressive position. The entire purpose of constitutional limitations is to act as a bulwark to a "messed up" society. Of course we're not there, yet. That's the point. Maybe we should wait until the orange-haired brownshirt stops running for President before we start questioning the value of strong first amendment protections?

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 1, 2016

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Prepare the freak out

A republican governor is going to sign a transgenders right law

Good on you Massachusetts

https://twitter.com/freedom_mass/status/738127083268919296

https://twitter.com/massachusetnews/status/738115175492915200

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 2, 2016

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

seiferguy posted:

If you're comparing the badness of two words, and you won't even say one of them, that's the worst word!

:drat: :wow:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Bushiz posted:

No it isn't. Their style is to harass Respectability Politics types until they crack and get indignant, and they change the subject constantly until they get to say "u mad?". They know literally nothing else. They have no experience with middle-school fights, just harassing adult figures until they get what they want. It's why Milo's favorite target is Ben Shapiro. Milo had a meltdown over losing his verified mark. The man went on a doxing crusade when he lost a twitter popularity poll. Milo would poo poo himself in rage/anxiety if he ever found himself in a game of The Dozens.

I personally findthe best way is to play them at their own game. Alot of them are vile poo poo heads, but they only like their own vile poo poo. So when they start spotting off their vile opinions I go what I like to become what I call Stalinist Hipster, it tends to horrify them.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Crowsbeak posted:

I personally findthe best way is to play them at their own game. Alot of them are vile poo poo heads, but they only like their own vile poo poo. So when they start spotting off their vile opinions I go what I like to become what I call Stalinist Hipster, it tends to horrify them.

Or you can just find their moms email address or fb

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ben Shapiro has announced his new "fiction" book

True Allegiance

quote:

New York Times bestselling author Ben Shapiro’s new novel asks, how close are we to our country’s collapse—and will we be able to stop it once it begins?

America is coming apart. An illegal immigration crisis has broken out along America's Southern border—there are race riots in Detroit—a fiery female rancher-turned-militia leader has vowed revenge on the president for his arrogant policies—and the world's most notorious terrorist is planning a massive attack that could destroy the United States as we know it. Meanwhile the President is too consumed by legacy-seeking to see our country’s deep peril.

Brett Hawthorne is the youngest general in the United States Army—and he’s stuck, alone, behind enemy lines in Afghanistan. He’s the last lost soldier of a failed war, fighting to stay alive and make it back home—but will he be able to stop the collapse of America in time?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

True Allegiance

wow, that doesn't sound like an ejaculation fiction at all.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Bushiz posted:

Milo would poo poo himself in rage/anxiety if he ever found himself in a game of The Dozens.
I think insult comedy is the best answer for the alt right, because seriously, we know how they became the alt-right. Their heads are so far up their own asses, the second someone stops taking them seriously they melt.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

quote:

a fiery female rancher-turned-militia leader has vowed revenge on the president for his arrogant policies

Clitven Bundy

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Chilichimp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CmzT4OV-w0

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

seiferguy posted:

John Mulaney is the most Nahman Jaden whitebread looking dude but his stand-up rocked, yeah.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

True Allegiance

"Brett Hawthorne is the youngest general in the United States Army"

... so he's like what, early 50s? A paragon of virility, I'm sure.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

True Allegiance

The real question is: how much creepy vore fetish material is gonna be in it? Because judging by the reviews of his last fiction attempts, dude's got a serious oral fixation :stonk:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

True Allegiance

That was hard to read even by right wing wankfest standards. The only thing missing foolish gay millennials foolishly following Mr. Super Terrorist and his foreign hordes to destroy Christmas.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

True Allegiance

This book already sounds like its three years to late. Especially what with the rise of Trump.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

True Allegiance

Weird to see a Jewish guy chased out of his job by twitter nazis end up writing the Turner Diaries.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Geostomp posted:

That was hard to read even by right wing wankfest standards. The only thing missing foolish gay millennials foolishly following Mr. Super Terrorist and his foreign hordes to destroy Christmas.

I'm in. Pancha Ganapati encourages much more friendship to one's fellow man than modern Christmas.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

nine-gear crow posted:

The real question is: how much creepy vore fetish material is gonna be in it? Because judging by the reviews of his last fiction attempts, dude's got a serious oral fixation :stonk:

You have a link to a review? Asking for a friend.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ErIog posted:

You have a link to a review? Asking for a friend.

I'll have to find it later, but off the top of my head, one of the stories in his anthology was a sci-fi piece about a scientist who accidentally gets shrunk to microscopic size and then eaten by his boss... thus proving global warming is a hoax. I'm not making that up, that's the message of the piece.

It's spectacularly hosed up.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nine-gear crow posted:

wait what? explain?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

RareAcumen posted:

John Mulaney is the most Nahman Jaden whitebread looking dude but his stand-up rocked, yeah.

He does look like a guy who's sat in a room and ate saltine crackers all day.

Too bad his show was terrible, though.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

True Allegiance

This century was long overdue for its own Turner Diaries!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Just caught Hugh Hewitt on MSNBC and he's hugely bent the knee to Trump. He went on like a five minute rant about how Trump U doesn't mean anything because its just cherry picked nonsense from the NY Times and Hillary has a federal criminal investigation swirling around her!

Hayes: Well, when and if something happens with that I guarantee we'll talk about it.
Hewitt: Well what about today? Brian Hillary's IT guy pleaded the fifth! I think that's huge!

Republican Betsy Woodruff sat there the entire time laughing at Hugh.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Oh shut the gently caress up with this poo poo. This is not a "both sides are equally wrong" situation, Milo is still infinitely more wrong than the woman who tore down some posters.

That's not what I mean't at all.

What I mean is the unwillingness to even entertain different concepts, ideas or philosophies. Not necessarily milo's (which is...well borderline hate speech), but there's a lot of people with libetarian/republican beliefs that are indeed attacked on site simply due to them having differing opinions.

What I'm referring to mainly is the ideas related to economic reform or various other concepts. There's a little shitbag idealogues out there of course, but I do think there's got to be some sort "libetarian" ideas one must entertain and I would imagine there's libertarians who feel very similar to my democratic-socialist-populist beliefs.

In life you have to learn to get along with people that you disagree with. The "TRUTH IS IN THE MIDDLE" is horse poo poo cop-out argument. But if a republican/libetarian minded person who's sincere in their beliefs and not trying to be trigger people? I think that person has every right to be entertained with conversation.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Periodiko posted:

A broad interpretation of the 1st amendment has huge implications. On what constitutional principal are you going to construct very broad hate speech laws that cannot be used to construct instruments against valuable free speech? I am NOT arguing from a messed up totalitarian society. I am arguing that these tools you might give to a friendly administration could be quite easily abused with even a mainstream shift to the right.

Look at the PATRIOT act. Look at what is mainstream to say about Muslims, or BLM activists. The two leading presidential candidates of the GOP proposed intrusive anti-free speech laws, monitoring and policing Mosques, stronger libel laws against those critical of the president. These are mainstream views. And there are dozens of quite regressive state legislatures and governors that would be happy to have expanded powers to police free speech.

The view that BLM was engaging in literally dangerous speech is absolutely mainstream in American discourse. What happens if a 9/11-level terrorist attack happens on US soil? That's not a Man in the High Castle speculation, that's a very real possibility.

This is not the time to be deciding that maybe the first amendment shouldn't be interpreted as broadly or strongly as it has. This is the time for the opposite. This is the time for re-affirming the values of a democratic, open society with an absolutist's zeal. I am resisting the urge to quote Chomsky, but this is hardly a regressive position. The entire purpose of constitutional limitations is to act as a bulwark to a "messed up" society. Of course we're not there, yet. That's the point. Maybe we should wait until the orange-haired brownshirt stops running for President before we start questioning the value of strong first amendment protections?

It seems like you are combining a fetish for Constitutionalism coupled with American Exceptionalism. That's as American as peanut butter and jelly, so I get you.

But so what?

If you want to argue that America's democracy is pretty unhealthy and resembles places like Turkey, I'm pretty open to that line of reasoning. But, unhealthy as our Republic is, are we really more like Turkey than Germany? Or developed Commonwealth Countries?

You are still buying into a fundamentally conservative line of thinking. But even if we accept your constitutionalism as a given, you are wrong. Flawed though it may be and often is, the federal government secures the individual freedom of citizens via the 14th Amendment. That's why conservative justices have such a hardon against the civil war amendments. And why "constitutional originalism" exists.

States are hosed up. We need the federal government to step in and protect individual citizens from the abuse of States. That way shitholes like like Alabama can't discriminate and we'll use force to prove it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its fine to say "you should give everyone a chance to talk and hear them out."

But if I've already listened to Milo and determined that he has nothing to offer except hate and argues in bad faith than I think its perfectly fair to simply stop giving him the legitimacy of being treated like a good faith party and just ripping his signs down.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

FuzzySkinner posted:

That's not what I mean't at all.

What I mean is the unwillingness to even entertain different concepts, ideas or philosophies. Not necessarily milo's (which is...well borderline hate speech), but there's a lot of people with libetarian/republican beliefs that are indeed attacked on site simply due to them having differing opinions.

What I'm referring to mainly is the ideas related to economic reform or various other concepts. There's a little shitbag idealogues out there of course, but I do think there's got to be some sort "libetarian" ideas one must entertain and I would imagine there's libertarians who feel very similar to my democratic-socialist-populist beliefs.

In life you have to learn to get along with people that you disagree with. The "TRUTH IS IN THE MIDDLE" is horse poo poo cop-out argument. But if a republican/libetarian minded person who's sincere in their beliefs and not trying to be trigger people? I think that person has every right to be entertained with conversation.

If they can demonstrate that there is a reason to take them seriously. Earnest airings of dumb ideas get taken down so viciously because their faults or limitations have already been well understood. There's no reason to respect most libertarians because they speak from a place of near-total ignorance. If there were stalinists on the internet they'd get the same treatment.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did the guy even speak at UCLA or was he too intimidated by teenage girls who threw his fliers in the recycling bin?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Periodiko posted:

The part that concerns me is that it's very easy to advocate for (relatively) unrestricted free speech when you're not part of a group that might be harmed by it. An obvious example of speech that causes very real, serious harm is widespread racist speech, which can really gently caress with a person who happens to belong to the targeted group. It just feels like a large reason this extremely pro-free-speech attitude exists is because, almost by definition, the mainstream wouldn't be affected by the most harmful types of speech. Like, if you're some wealthy white person you have nothing to lose and everything to gain from allowing unrestricted speech.

That being said, I appreciate the argument that any sort of hate speech laws would be made by people from those same demographics. I think it depends upon the situation in this case; at least in America, it is definitely true that many of people who make laws have better views regarding issues like race and sexual orientation than a large portion of the public (not that this makes their views good by any means, but at least better than some random white southerner).

I guess the part of the pro-free-speech argument that I just don't buy is the idea that some restriction on, say, bigoted speech is on the same slope as the sort of stuff we see in dystopian fiction. I feel like if we elect a government that decides to start outlawing speech critical of government policies that such a society's problems go beyond just the free speech restrictions themselves.

I'm not even really advocating for any specific limitations on free speech; I just disagree with the gut reaction most people seem to have that free speech must never be restricted. Unrestricted free speech definitely causes harm, and I think it's a discussion worth having on a case by case basis as to whether the harm it causes is greater than the harm caused by a particular restriction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Ytlaya posted:

The part that concerns me is that it's very easy to advocate for (relatively) unrestricted free speech when you're not part of a group that might be harmed by it. An obvious example of speech that causes very real, serious harm is widespread racist speech, which can really gently caress with a person who happens to belong to the targeted group. It just feels like a large reason this extremely pro-free-speech attitude exists is because, almost by definition, the mainstream wouldn't be affected by the most harmful types of speech. Like, if you're some wealthy white person you have nothing to lose and everything to gain from allowing unrestricted speech.

That being said, I appreciate the argument that any sort of hate speech laws would be made by people from those same demographics. I think it depends upon the situation in this case; at least in America, it is definitely true that many of people who make laws have better views regarding issues like race and sexual orientation than a large portion of the public (not that this makes their views good by any means, but at least better than some random white southerner).

I guess the part of the pro-free-speech argument that I just don't buy is the idea that some restriction on, say, bigoted speech is on the same slope as the sort of stuff we see in dystopian fiction. I feel like if we elect a government that decides to start outlawing speech critical of government policies that such a society's problems go beyond just the free speech restrictions themselves.

I'm not even really advocating for any specific limitations on free speech; I just disagree with the gut reaction most people seem to have that free speech must never be restricted. Unrestricted free speech definitely causes harm, and I think it's a discussion worth having on a case by case basis as to whether the harm it causes is greater than the harm caused by a particular restriction.

So what I get out of this is that we could allow restrictions on speech, but apply some scrutiny to them. Maybe be a bit strict about it or something. It would be an interesting experiment.