Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grieving Achilles
Apr 13, 2010
Dumb question, but what happened to the old GBS that made it change so drastically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Grieving Achilles posted:

Dumb question, but what happened to the old GBS that made it change so drastically.
Lowtax decided to turn GBS into a fyad-lite because it was too serious.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Beer-talk: Not all hops are created equal, and some imbue beer with straight-up bitter, while some have piney, floral, herbal, or citrus flavour profiles. Beers can taste lots of different ways, depending on the brewer. A similar thing can be said about grains/malts/yeast.
Don't trust the style of beer to tell you what it will taste like.
Taste all of the beers.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Earwicker posted:

I'm not really sure what that poster is getting at by emphasizing bitter because there are all kinds of drinks and foods that are both very bitter and very sweet at the same time, it's so common we should really have a word for it..

I guess I'm just bitter about a bad experience I had with Pale Ale. :bahgawd:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I don't like pale ale. I have tasted fruity nut Browns and wheat beer is sweet, though. Wheat beer is probably my favourite beer genre.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
How do you define 'proc' like in a video game?

I know what it means but someone asked me and it took me a minute to come up with an easily to understand explanation.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Why do tv shows often have different directors for different episodes?

Like, take Rod Hardy (heh), for instance. He directed three X Files episodes, six BSG episodes, and one Dollhouse episode, among dozens of other 3-4 episode runs on other shows, often years apart. Generation Kill had like, a different director every episode. Game of Thrones has had nearly 20 directors. The Wire had 27! Why? What's going on here?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'd describe proc as being an activation of an ability, usually on a time based cooldown or fairly low chance of automatically happening.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Xandu posted:

How do you define 'proc' like in a video game?

I know what it means but someone asked me and it took me a minute to come up with an easily to understand explanation.

I read it as synonymous with "trigger", especially when it's about an effect that happens automatically in response to something else.

Take with a grain of salt. I am old (30), so who knows how kids these days actually use the slang.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

tuyop posted:

Like, take Rod Hardy (heh), for instance. He directed three X Files episodes, six BSG episodes, and one Dollhouse episode, among dozens of other 3-4 episode runs on other shows, often years apart. Generation Kill had like, a different director every episode. Game of Thrones has had nearly 20 directors. The Wire had 27! Why? What's going on here?

This has been the case since the beginning of television (in the US, at least). It has honestly never occurred to me to ask why. Off the top of my head, I would suggest that the showrunners, who are usually writers and not directors, don't want to cede control to one director. But that may be a circular argument.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
You do see some exceptions on the TV director thing, particularly for shorter episode runs. First season of True Detective was all directed by Cary Fukunaga and you could feel a specific visual style.

edit: How I Met Your Mother had essentially one director, oddly enough.

Grundulum posted:

I read it as synonymous with "trigger", especially when it's about an effect that happens automatically in response to something else.

Take with a grain of salt. I am old (30), so who knows how kids these days actually use the slang.

Yeah I think trigger is good. Thanks!

Xandu fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 1, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
What's the difference between "soft white" and "daylight" LED light bulbs?

Is there a "best" one for indoor use?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Short answer, not really

Long answer, it depends on what you're doing. If you're going to be doing something where you need lighting to see, reading a book, working on a project, tweezing poo poo, you want a stronger light. Too dim a light will strain your eyes. If you're just going to be maxing and relaxing all cool, or reading/watching stuff off a backlit screen like a TV or computer, the dimmer light will probably be a better choice.

Also keep in mind your color choice. A daylight bulb is going to be a harsher, whiter light. A soft bulb will be yellower. If you have a specific color palette set up you'll need to take this into account.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
There are a bunch of beers flavored with (or of) fruits but yeah, you won't see many of them at a grocery store that doesn't carry a lot of craft beers. If I had to guess why I would guess that not that many people are really into them (not any more than are in to other craft beers) and if you want something really fruity you'll probably get a Mikes Hard or something.

Leinenkugel has several fruity beers, including a shandy (beer with lemonade) and some berry thing that I remember really liking. They were sometimes at grocery stores with a decent beer aisle back east. I saw that they had a grapefruit beer recently but didn't try it. Wheat beers are flavored with orange sometimes and are kind of fruity in general, and I've seen a few cherry porters recently that are good if you like bittersweet. Lambics are where things really get fruity and sometimes sour. They're pretty tough to find but a good beer store will have a few. I suggest trying to see if you can get just one bottle because they are a flavor that isn't for everyone.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

tuyop posted:

For the same reason there will different head writers for different episodes: it makes it easier to produce a show. Also, shows with multiple directors across the episodes tend to have other supervisory staff (the showrunner, the producers, etc) take a more active role over the directors than they would in a show that stuck to a single director.

And finally, for many shows that go on long enough, the director job for an episode or two every so often will be passed off to someone besides the normal director simply because the normal director had a family emergency or wanted to go on vacation during the shooting season.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

tuyop posted:

fishmech posted:

For the same reason there will different head writers for different episodes: it makes it easier to produce a show. Also, shows with multiple directors across the episodes tend to have other supervisory staff (the showrunner, the producers, etc) take a more active role over the directors than they would in a show that stuck to a single director.

And finally, for many shows that go on long enough, the director job for an episode or two every so often will be passed off to someone besides the normal director simply because the normal director had a family emergency or wanted to go on vacation during the shooting season.

Also remember that a TV show is filming and editing multiple episodes at a time, probably in different sets and possibly even in different locations, so it's not feasible for one person to be there and have creative control of everything going on. In movie credits you'll see second (and maybe third) unit director which is a similar concept: the main director's in one place working on key scenes, and the second unit is off somewhere else filming something else. But with movies there's still only one product being made so the main director can still have creative control of the whole thing, even if they weren't personally filming everything; while in a TV show the person with main creative control is probably a producer (for example, the Game of Thrones showrunners are listed as executive producers), even if they're not running it from the trenches.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Grundulum posted:

That's not quite it. Proc is an event that triggers as a response to a random occurrence, and generally something that can trigger multiple times. It's not just a trigger that's linked with somethings else.

For instance, in some magical elf game, if a certain sword gave you a chance on every swing to heal you. You would say that your sword has a 20% chance to Proc. When it heals you, it procced.

If you have a healing potion and you drink it and it heals you, it didn't Proc, it just.. did what it was supposed to. Basically, if it's guaranteed, it's not considered a Proc.

eg:
The sword has a 20% Proc rate.
It procced 3 times last fight.
Why did I die? My sword didn't Proc.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Hyperlynx posted:

Oh holy poo poo, I missed this. I gave the dried, wrinkled scallion skins to my cats, who ate them. gently caress. That was a few evenings ago, and they seem fine, so I guess they dodged a bullet?

e: phoned the vet. They're probably OK; I'm to keep an eye on them and only panic if they get worse.

Yeah, don't give your pet any kind of onion (including garlic). The compounds that could poison them is long out of their system by now though. Your cats are fine.

As a general rule don't feed anything to your pets if you're not absolutely certain it's okay for them to eat. Many plants produce chemicals that are fine for human consumption but are metabolized differently by other animals. Theobromine in chocolate is the famous one everyone knows about.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 1, 2016

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

PRADA SLUT posted:

That's not quite it. Proc is an event that triggers as a response to a random occurrence, and generally something that can trigger multiple times. It's not just a trigger that's linked with somethings else.

For instance, in some magical elf game, if a certain sword gave you a chance on every swing to heal you. You would say that your sword has a 20% chance to Proc. When it heals you, it procced.

If you have a healing potion and you drink it and it heals you, it didn't Proc, it just.. did what it was supposed to. Basically, if it's guaranteed, it's not considered a Proc.

eg:
The sword has a 20% Proc rate.
It procced 3 times last fight.
Why did I die? My sword didn't Proc.

You just used the synonym he was given to explain it. :psyduck:

PRADA SLUT posted:

something that can trigger multiple times.

You're being needlessly, and incorrectly, pedantic here. If you say "Your character has a sword with a 20% chance to trigger fire damage on hit" that is exactly the same thing as saying "Your character has a sword with a 20% chance to proc fire damage on a hit." The only difference is that it uses a synonym which 99% of the population will understand, instead of a word that only, what, 15% will? Maybe 30%, at best?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Just saying it's a triggered effect makes it sound like it includes on-hit effects generally, which it doesn't.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I take my video game terminology pedantry very seriously.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Just saying it's a triggered effect makes it sound like it includes on-hit effects generally, which it doesn't.

Which is why you say it has a chance to trigger. Yes, "proc" can sum that up more quickly for someone who knows what proc means, but since the entire question was about finding a loving alternative explanation, "a X% chance to trigger on 'Y'" works perfectly well.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Is there any way to reset Netflix so it doesn't seem like I viewed a show or a season?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Captain Bravo posted:

Which is why you say it has a chance to trigger. Yes, "proc" can sum that up more quickly for someone who knows what proc means, but since the entire question was about finding a loving alternative explanation, "a X% chance to trigger on 'Y'" works perfectly well.

You're going to Proc an aneurysm

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Robokomodo posted:

Is there any way to reset Netflix so it doesn't seem like I viewed a show or a season?

Go to your account settings and towards the bottom is viewing history.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

As for why it's called a proc, iirc the term arose from some ancient mmo (probably Everquest, because it always is) where those %chance-on-action effects were referred to by the devs as "procedures". Over time people evolved from saying "the effect procedure executed" to "it procced" in the way so many noun-to-verb adaptations do.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Enourmo posted:

As for why it's called a proc, iirc the term arose from some ancient mmo (probably Everquest, because it always is) where those %chance-on-action effects were referred to by the devs as "procedures". Over time people evolved from saying "the effect procedure executed" to "it procced" in the way so many noun-to-verb adaptations do.

It pre-dates Everquest by at least five or six years, I first saw the term used in DikuMUD in the early 90s. The original term was "spec_proc" which was shortened to proc, and meant "special procedure".

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The quickest way to get an accurate answer on the internet is to post a slightly wrong answer. :v:

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Enourmo posted:

The quickest way to get an accurate answer on the internet is to post a slightly wrong answer. :v:

Knowledgeable people are usually hesitant to make a complete answer from scratch, because they realize they are not that knowledgeable, but upon seeing a incorrect one are reminded that they actually know a serious amount of stuff.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I once heard in the DikuMUD days that it was actually an acronym, for "programmed random occurrence", but that's probably not actually true and I can't be arsed to look it up

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'd wager a vast majority of those acronym etymologies for words are completely made-up.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ciaphas posted:

I once heard in the DikuMUD days that it was actually an acronym, for "programmed random occurrence", but that's probably not actually true and I can't be arsed to look it up

It was a looooong time ago so I'm dredging some seriously old memory banks, but I'd say I'm 95% sure it's a shortened version of "spec_proc".

One thing that I am sure about is that people in programming or on the periphery love backronyms, so someone probably claimed in the last 20 years that it stood for programmed random occurrence.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

That's my guess as well, yeah--being a programmer I can affirm that backronyms are like a fetish for us :v:

I remember being allowed to make an area on Aardwolf once, back when Diku derivatives were basically all I did for fun; seeing spec_proc reminded me of it. Good times, good times.

:corsair:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ciaphas posted:

That's my guess as well, yeah--being a programmer I can affirm that backronyms are like a fetish for us :v:

I remember being allowed to make an area on Aardwolf once, back when Diku derivatives were basically all I did for fun; seeing spec_proc reminded me of it. Good times, good times.

:corsair:

:corsair::hf::corsair:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Captain Bravo posted:

You just used the synonym he was given to explain it. :psyduck:

You're being needlessly, and incorrectly, pedantic here. If you say "Your character has a sword with a 20% chance to trigger fire damage on hit" that is exactly the same thing as saying "Your character has a sword with a 20% chance to proc fire damage on a hit." The only difference is that it uses a synonym which 99% of the population will understand, instead of a word that only, what, 15% will? Maybe 30%, at best?

You seem very upset. Did you need a proc warning?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

RE: Beer chat.

Pm me and I can give some recommendations.

I used to work in beer at one of(if not the) biggest liquor stores in Chicago.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Hyperlynx posted:

You seem very upset. Did you need a proc warning?

I got an unlucky drop a few years ago.

Keyboard of the Ur-Goon
+125 Shitposting
-15 hygiene
80% chance on post to sperg out
Binds on pickup, cursed item, cannot be unequipped.
"This is important. Someone is wrong on the internet!"

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I dont understand how no one mentioned the word "Shandy" in the last two pages. Half beer half lemonade, entirely delicious.

The abv can be disappointing though. Throw a shot of vodka in there too.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:

Captain Bravo posted:

Keyboard of the Ur-Goon
80% chance on post to proc sperg out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Why do some platinum users have symbols next to their name other than the standard grenade, like a radiation symbol or a pill?