Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I don't know why you guys think monster of the week is good, the last good monster was Zeus like 3 seasons ago. It's good to see other characters but they're rather useless and the boys bail them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
"Baby" was a MotW episode.

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
That one episode with the talking animals was awesome

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The imaginary friend episode was god damned wonderful.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The imaginary friend episode was god damned wonderful.

I loved that that was the opener to the season recap.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Those episodes were okay but the monsters were boring and Sam and Dean conveniently forget everything

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I don't think this was the worst season. It was actually pretty good. The reveal of Chuck as God, expected as it was, worked great. It advanced the mythos of the universe and Chuck's actor killed it. We got more Lucifer, which was awesome. Even Metatron's swan song was cool.

I don't mind the mytharc plots, I just was tired of them repeating the same ones over and over (Sam is dead, Dean must save him. Dean is dead, Sam must save him. INSERT BIGGER BAD HERE is threatening the world). The Men of Letters stuff could be quite interesting.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.
Yeah this past season was really great and I think they really wrapped it up well for having GOD and GOD'S SISTER. I like how they preemptively dealt with the "God can solve every future problem issue" by going welp he's gonna spend some quality time with his sister so he's not gonna pay attention for awhile. UK Men of Letters could be pretty interesting but I have no idea what the hell they're planning to do with WINCESTER MOM. Maybe Dean and Mom will do some hunts together while looking for Sam, who will maybe get taken to the UK? And is currently convinced Dean is dead and so has no reason to try to reach out to find Dean? And Lucifer is maybe out there again. On the other hand, if they're going to expand out of the United States, maybe they can really delve more into other cultures' lore/ghosts/demons/monsters.

As for MOTW episodes, I'm a fan, but wouldn't sacrifice plot arc episodes for solely MOTW episodes. I really liked the type of MOTW episode that really felt like there was a mystery to solve, like oh no! we know the ghost but the body was cremated, now what? But that seemed more common back in the earlier seasons.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'm pretty sure the mom thing is just going to be another "she's back, but something is wrong with her" thing like they did with the grandfather and basically anyone that has come back from the dead. Or she will be killed early in the season, maybe by the men of letters, causing the guys to be extra angsty next season. Things never end well for family members (or friends for that matter) of the Winchesters.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Murphy Brownback posted:

I'm pretty sure the mom thing is just going to be another "she's back, but something is wrong with her" thing like they did with the grandfather and basically anyone that has come back from the dead. Or she will be killed early in the season, maybe by the men of letters, causing the guys to be extra angsty next season. Things never end well for family members (or friends for that matter) of the Winchesters.

They should defy expectations and keep her alive. Have the MoL become allies, and they live too. Bring back other maybe kinda dead guys like Gabriel. Slowly turn the show into one with a large ensemble cast.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

They should defy expectations and keep her alive. Have the MoL become allies, and they live too. Bring back other maybe kinda dead guys like Gabriel. Slowly turn the show into one with a large ensemble cast.

Super(natural)friends vs. Magic Nazis, come ooooooonn

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Murphy Brownback posted:

The only thing this time is that she was brought back as a sincere thank you by one of only two beings that could do so with no strings attached. It wasn't the result of some dumb hail Mary attempt or some evil thing loving with them.

It will be interesting to see how they deal with it.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
I wonder how long until winchester mom dies tragically, or for comedies sake dean has to stop some guy hitting on her.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bull3964 posted:

The only thing this time is that she was brought back as a sincere thank you by one of only two beings that could do so with no strings attached. It wasn't the result of some dumb hail Mary attempt or some evil thing loving with them.

It will be interesting to see how they deal with it.

Yeah, there's no inherent reason why there should be a shoe to drop on Mary's return. There's no mystery or plot involved. It was a sincere act of kindness from Amara, a character who even at her worst sincerely had a soft spot for Dean. If there's an obvious drawback its that Mary just got pulled out of Heaven which might suck, but she does get to know her sons which might be enough to make it ok.

I mean, I think the bigger drama will be that Mary hated the hunter life, saw it destroy her family, and almost certainly wouldn't be happy with her sons constantly throwing away their lives for all this insanity. Alternatively Mary isn't just their mom, she's an actual trained hunter which is a pretty interesting addition to the cast. And of course with Sam presumably in the clutches of the Men of Letters UK it creates a problem for Dean and Mary to focus on. I'm definitely very curious to see how all this plays out. Do the Winchesters go home to Kansas? Does Mary move into the bunker and join the team? Do the Men of Letters even let them keep operating or they end up back on the lam like the classic days of them running from cops?

I didn't love the finale but I'm definitely interested in where it goes. And ultimately I kind of like that Supernatural had the balls to make God just as capricious and self absorbed as ever other celestial being or deity on the show. A lot of other shows would have wussed out and made sure that "The Light" came through in the end. Supernatural kept to the theme of the world hanging on a string because of the actions of a few desperate men and women helplessly pushing back against forces greater than them.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I wonder if that head reaper lady is now even more pissed off at Dean.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Astroman posted:

I don't think this was the worst season. It was actually pretty good. The reveal of Chuck as God, expected as it was, worked great. It advanced the mythos of the universe and Chuck's actor killed it. We got more Lucifer, which was awesome. Even Metatron's swan song was cool.

I don't mind the mytharc plots, I just was tired of them repeating the same ones over and over (Sam is dead, Dean must save him. Dean is dead, Sam must save him. INSERT BIGGER BAD HERE is threatening the world). The Men of Letters stuff could be quite interesting.

Whoa, who thought the season sucked? Clickbait sites were writing thinkpieces about how Supernatural turned it around this year. AV Club and other sites do end of year season walkthroughs with showrunners, and I would love to hear what the Supernatural team talk about how and why they changed what they did and if they have a plan to keep it fresh going forward.

If I had to guess, I'd say the next season premiere is a trial where the Winchesters have to justify themselves and then the MoL assigns that British lady from the finale (she was way too prominently featured to be a one off) gets assigned as their monitors and she shows up in 6-8 episodes to be a thorn in their side.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, if I had to guess I imagine something like.

MoL: You have done too much harm to the world! You must be punished!

Winchesters: You know we didn't ask for this stuff, right? Heaven and Hell have been loving with us since before we were born. Here's our reincarnated mother just brought back by God's sister to testify to that, also we have an angel and the King of Hell on speed dial.

MoL: Ok, fine, maybe you aren't bad guys, but you really have to stop this poo poo.

Mary: Yeah, can you please stop this stuff and just move back to Kansas with me?

Winchester: It never works. We always get sucked back in.

MoL: God, fine, British lady is your new boss. Don't sleep with either of the brothers, lady.

*12 episodes later she's dead*

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That sounds pretty good.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

*12 2 episodes later she's dead*

You overestimate Supernatural, fixed it for you.

Astroman posted:

I don't think this was the worst season.

It wasn't. That hands-loving-down goes to the Tablet season, which meandered around way way worse than this, hosed all the characters and the way they act, tried to declare Reapers were Angels in no uncertain terms (a fact they've readily ignored the hell out of since) and then for the grand prize right when they are on the cusp of final victory.. Sam chickens the gently caress out. They try to make this heroic because family and poo poo but really he just wasted everyone's time, worked some poor kid into the ground and hosed over a lot of people to say "Nahhh."

And he still died, prompting even more bullshit in the next season, making every single thing about it entirely pointless! Oh yeah this is also the precise moment they utterly ruined Crowley.

So yeah. Worse season and right up there with the worst season finales of all time.

ED: Angels falling from the sky was pretty cool, which they then hosed up because Angels became Stormtrooper weenies that betray everyone.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 2, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Blazing Ownager posted:

You overestimate Supernatural, fixed it for you.

It wasn't. That hands-loving-down goes to the Tablet season, which meandered around way way worse than this, hosed all the characters and the way they act, tried to declare Reapers were Angels in no uncertain terms (a fact they've readily ignored the hell out of since) and then for the grand prize right when they are on the cusp of final victory.. Sam chickens the gently caress out. They try to make this heroic because family and poo poo but really he just wasted everyone's time, worked some poor kid into the ground and hosed over a lot of people to say "Nahhh."

And he still died, prompting even more bullshit in the next season, making every single thing about it entirely pointless! Oh yeah this is also the precise moment they utterly ruined Crowley.

So yeah. Worse season and right up there with the worst season finales of all time.

ED: Angels falling from the sky was pretty cool, which they then hosed up because Angels became Stormtrooper weenies that betray everyone.

Incorrect, Sam was 100% ready to go through with the last trial and Dean stopped him because it would kill him.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Whatever happened to the Steins, anyway? Aren't they still around?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I'm pretty sure Dean killed them all but I can't remember why

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

oldpainless posted:

The mark and killing Charlie

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The worst season is the Leviathan poo poo. The tablet comes after that. I also recall thinking Season 6 was pretty bad. This season had a flat ending and some weak episodes, but I liked it overall. I definitely can't fathom putting it at worst.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Season 6 had Soulless Sam, Weekend at Bobby's, the fairy episode and The French Mistake.

How is it the worst season?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Some Numbers posted:

Season 6 had Soulless Sam, Weekend at Bobby's, the fairy episode and The French Mistake.

Those were good (although I didn't really like soulless sam), but I definitely did not like the whole "alphas" plot and the whole Lisa/Ben thing. And Eve was a pretty lame and forgettable "big bad". Overall it's near the bottom for me despite the handful of great episodes...the leviathan season was definitely worse in every way though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Season 6 never really meshed together, and it came off of Season 5 which is a hard act to follow. I'm inclined to agree that Season 8 (the "Gates of Hell" stuff) was probably the worst post-S5* . I actually like the Leviathans, they tried something new and yeah it didn't work out amazingly but it was at least a good try.

*S3 I think is kind of dull because it's just "let's keep Dean out of Hell" and then he goes to Hell anyway. But it's also shortened by the writer's strike so I can forgive it. Plus it led to Lazarus Rising which is one of my favorite Supernatural episodes (that whole opening, and "I'm the one who gripped you tight and raised you from Perdition" :allears: ).

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Some Numbers posted:

The French Mistake was funny and I only remember Sam's quip about the 4th kind from the fairy episode, so I'll grant you those. Every season has at least 2 good episodes though. I didn't like Soulless Sam much at all. I didn't like the stuff with the Campbells. I just wasn't a fan of that season. It wasn't the worst though, as I said. Just in the bottom half. Season 7 was the one with the Leviathans and that blew.

I was gonna bring up S3. I remember that being kinda dull overall. That's the one with Bela, right? Loved the actress, but the plotline made the Winchesters look pretty drat dumb for a lot of it. Also wanna echo Lazarus Rising as one of my favorite episodes. 8 ended with the angels falling and 9 ended with Deanmon, right? Yeah, both of those were whatever. Bottom half material.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

oldpainless posted:

bobkatt013 posted:

The mark and killing Charlie

Dean killed an entire world-spanning secret society bloodline? I mean, I know he killed a lot of them.

I see them as the HYDRA to the Men of Letters' SHIELD, as there are many parallels there. Just my opinion, however.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 2, 2016

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Which season had Sam and that lady with the dog? Because that loving season was terrible.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VaultAggie posted:

Which season had Sam and that lady with the dog? Because that loving season was terrible.

Season 8, because Dean went to purgatory and Sam tried to forget about him. That's also the Gates of Hell season.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Some Numbers posted:

Because you're not batting too high with three not-garbage episodes in a 22-episode garbage-rear end season.
How in the hell does "soulless Sam" count as a good part of season 6 in your book?

SonicRulez posted:

The worst season is the Leviathan poo poo. The tablet comes after that. I also recall thinking Season 6 was pretty bad. This season had a flat ending and some weak episodes, but I liked it overall. I definitely can't fathom putting it at worst.

I think season 6 and 7 are neck and neck for worst, because I can't decide if a bunch of lovely aborted plotlines that went nowhere is worse than one long, boring plotline that amounted to little more than a running dick joke.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 2, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

raditts posted:

Because you're not batting too high with three not-garbage episodes in a 22-episode garbage-rear end season.
How in the hell does "soulless Sam" count as a good part of season 6 in your book?

I enjoyed Soulless Sam a lot more than regular Sam.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Probably the last time he got laid.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, there's no inherent reason why there should be a shoe to drop on Mary's return. There's no mystery or plot involved. It was a sincere act of kindness from Amara, a character who even at her worst sincerely had a soft spot for Dean. If there's an obvious drawback its that Mary just got pulled out of Heaven which might suck, but she does get to know her sons which might be enough to make it ok.

I mean, I think the bigger drama will be that Mary hated the hunter life, saw it destroy her family, and almost certainly wouldn't be happy with her sons constantly throwing away their lives for all this insanity. Alternatively Mary isn't just their mom, she's an actual trained hunter which is a pretty interesting addition to the cast

Well there's one possible flaw, in that it was Amara and not Chuck who gave Mary back, and while she is as powerful as Chuck, her powers are based on destruction. So there may be a hidden downside to Mary's return that will come out later.

It will also be interesting to see what she remembers. Does she remember Heaven? Does she remember being a ghost? Or will she think it's still the early 80s and the biggest problem in the world is Ol' Yellow Eyes? Where did her and John leave off in their marriage? Were they in a good place? Will she be as obsessed with resurrecting him as her sons are with saving each other? (Boy I hope so, because the only thing I want to see more than Mark Pellegrino come back is JDM)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Probably the last time he got laid.

Nah, there was the waitress in the Baby episode.

Soulless Sam was awesome, for the what... 2 episodes we got to see him be the complete soulless rear end in a top hat guy he was? They flipped the switch back to him way too quickly.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Soulless Sam would've been really cool for 2 episodes. Just a two-parter about what it'd be like if a hunter was running around with no soul doing as he pleased. It went on for too long and I didn't enjoy very much of it. I'm with you raditts in that I can't decide between the complete worthlessness of Eve or the trite and boring Leviathans. I just get so pissed thinking about how boring the primordial prototype creations ended up being.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

SonicRulez posted:

I'm with you raditts in that I can't decide between the complete worthlessness of Eve or the trite and boring Leviathans. I just get so pissed thinking about how boring the primordial prototype creations ended up being.

That's what made them so bad: on paper, they're these horrifying Cthuloid troglodyte things, like Sam and Dean are going to have to hunt a shoggoth. The actual interaction with them was so much lamer than that. Just, disappointing.

Xealot fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 3, 2016

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I don't like Sam or Dean so any season that features them is usually pretty bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Oroborus posted:

I wonder how long until winchester mom dies tragically, or for comedies sake dean has to stop some guy hitting on her.

Should have cast Amy Gumenick (young Mary) then.