Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

RichterIX posted:

Is the G5 a bust? I'm on AT&T and in need of a phone in a hurry, and I can't afford to buy a 6P outright at the moment. I loved my G3 but something went catastrophically wrong and it melted while charging. I suppose I could cheap out and get a G4 with a shorter Next plan so that I could upgrade again sooner since there seems to be a dearth of good Android phones on AT&T right now.
What's so wrong with a 5X that you outright ignore it?

hope and vaseline posted:

I love google music in every way but the phone interface. Just give me a loving list view instead of cards for browsing albums and artists, ffs.
This is sooooo true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RichterIX posted:

Is the G5 a bust? I'm on AT&T and in need of a phone in a hurry, and I can't afford to buy a 6P outright at the moment. I loved my G3 but something went catastrophically wrong and it melted while charging. I suppose I could cheap out and get a G4 with a shorter Next plan so that I could upgrade again sooner since there seems to be a dearth of good Android phones on AT&T right now.

G5 definitely isn't worth retail price. G4 for the price is probably better, but no reason to stick with LG. Moto X Pure or Nexus 5X or Nexus 6 should all be slightly cheaper options.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

BonoMan posted:

I actually felt like my Moto X was too small so I welcome the large screen.

I might just go with the Moto X Pure 32 or 64 gig. More than $100 more, but at least I know I like the Motos.

The pure is good, but be wary that the update situation is uncertain. It hasn't gotten 6.0.1 yet, and last security update was in February. Moto hasn't said anything, but there will supposedly be updates each quarter.

There's rumors about a may security update being rolled out, but that's still on just 6.0 according to the posts. No word about N support either.

I'm kinda annoyed that there's just no official word on the update situation. Smythe was, as always, 100% right.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

ilkhan posted:

What's so wrong with a 5X that you outright ignore it?

Nothing at all besides the fact that the only Nexus listed on the AT&T website is a web-only refurbished Nexus 6. Maybe the store stock is different and I'm just pissing in the wind trying to shop on their website.

RVProfootballer posted:

G5 definitely isn't worth retail price. G4 for the price is probably better, but no reason to stick with LG. Moto X Pure or Nexus 5X or Nexus 6 should all be slightly cheaper options.

I'll keep an eye out for these when I'm at the store this afternoon.

The last time I was shopping for a phone this thread was super anti-Samsung, and some of that sentiment seems to have dried up and I am seeing the S7 recommended now. I'm not averse to this being my real upgrade, I was really only defaulting to the G4 because it looked like my options for top-of-the-line were the S7 and G5 and not much else.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

BonoMan posted:

I have a 2013 Moto X which I love (I like Moto's glance-esque software and the phone was generally nice but just too sluggish now).

Amazon has this for sale today: https://www.amazon.com/ZenFone-Special-Unlocked-Cellphone-Warranty/dp/B015ZKK2ES?ie=UTF8&ref_=gbps_tit_s-3_8062_5f6637d3&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

One of my biggest issues with my phone is the 16 gig storage which is poo poo. 128 gigs for this price seems hard to pass up.

Anyone have this phone?
Our oncall phone at work is a Zenfone 2 and it's a pretty nice phone. I wish it had a little less bloatware but it's a solid performer with a nice screen (which could stand to be a bit brighter outdoors). That's a pretty great price for the version with 4(!) GB of ram and 128GB of storage.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

RichterIX posted:

Nothing at all besides the fact that the only Nexus listed on the AT&T website is a web-only refurbished Nexus 6.

Well yeah. One of the reasons Nexii are great is that you avoid carrier bullshit. That's kinda the point. Buy it from google directly.

https://www.google.com/nexus/5x/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ignore me.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 1, 2016

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
As tempting as that as, and as much as I wish I could avoid the carrier bullshit, I unfortunately need a phone I can walk out of the AT&T store with in hand. The 6P looks great but I don't have the luxury of even waiting for shipping at this point.

It's annoying because this is the first time I've ever had a phone break before I was able to secure a replacement.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Google Fi will finance a 6P for you for 0% interest even if you cancel Fi immediately and just use your AT&T Sim in the device.

0% isn't it exactly right because you have to pay first months service for Fi...

I'm not sure this is correct, but haven't looked into it in awhile. Pretty sure when I checked, the remaining balance was due in a month if you cancel service. The reason people are so pumped about using Fi to get the 5X is because of the $150 off, not because of financing. I'd be interested to here if I'm wrong, though.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
What's the consensus on the OnePlus phones? The 3 releases in two weeks and I might wait for that.

Basically I'm looking for a $300-400 phone with the best camera I can get in that range. I'm tired of missing good pics of my two year old because of my lovely camera phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BonoMan posted:

What's the consensus on the OnePlus phones? The 3 releases in two weeks and I might wait for that.

Basically I'm looking for a $300-400 phone with the best camera I can get in that range. I'm tired of missing good pics of my two year old because of my lovely camera phone.
Gargage trash for idiots.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Endless Mike posted:

I love this post

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

RVProfootballer posted:

I'm not sure this is correct, but haven't looked into it in awhile. Pretty sure when I checked, the remaining balance was due in a month if you cancel service. The reason people are so pumped about using Fi to get the 5X is because of the $150 off, not because of financing. I'd be interested to here if I'm wrong, though.

Yeah, you're right and I don't know what I was thinking. I even just figured it all out and knew this last week.

My brains are fried.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Lightning killed my Nexus 6p OEM wall charger and USB type c to c cable last night, so now I'm looking for a good cable and charger for fast charging. Any suggestions?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

BonoMan posted:

You can get LG G4 at around that price range, maybe a bit less (I've seen them on eBay for around $260)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

You can get LG G4 at around that price range, maybe a bit less (I've seen them on eBay for around $260)

Yeah it's $295 on Amazon. Not bad.

Man I wish I was younger and had more time to keep up to date on tech like I used to :(.

I feel like I'm in UHF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYM4QKMg12o&t=1s

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Spoggerific posted:

Lightning killed my Nexus 6p OEM wall charger and USB type c to c cable last night, so now I'm looking for a good cable and charger for fast charging. Any suggestions?

Monoprice's USB c cables work fine and are certainly not flimsy.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I'm thinking this is the right place to ask because I feel like I have a software issue on my Samsung Galaxy S7, basically stock.

Got it a month or so ago, installed pretty standard apps. Has been working with no issues and hasn't been physically harmed.

All of a sudden it will stop charging once the display is off, simple as that. If I keep the display on, either through use of screensaver or by just being active, it stays charging, but about 15 seconds after the display shuts off (normal shut off or hitting power button) it will cycle (stop charging, recognize charger, turn screen on, start charging). Always on Display does not remedy the issue.

I tried charging in safe mode, rebooting then charging, charging while phone is off, in all cases it still cycles when display is off. Only thing I havent done is swap charger/cable, since I won't have the opportunity to for another 6 hours, but this seems to me like a SW thing. Phone is in similar positions at all times.

I haven't found anything online except someone with an S6 experiencing this with wireless charging. Anyone have any ideas?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Are there any car mounts that fit the 6P that have as good of a windshield mount as the iOttie but don't clamp onto the volume buttons like the iOttie?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Remember the other day when I enumerated all the problems with my Nexus 5 trying to make me upgrade before this year's Nexus release? I just noticed there is a crack in the top right corner of the glass. I have tape securing it now, but it is going to be drat difficult to get this to run to the fall. I might need to fall back to my Wife's old pink Moto X13.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

Mr. Powers posted:

Remember the other day when I enumerated all the problems with my Nexus 5 trying to make me upgrade before this year's Nexus release? I just noticed there is a crack in the top right corner of the glass. I have tape securing it now, but it is going to be drat difficult to get this to run to the fall. I might need to fall back to my Wife's old pink Moto X13.

Since smashing my Moto X's screen last week, some of the plastic under the glass (just above the screen) has also cracked and come off, exposing some of the circuitry. Every day this phone continues to work is a blessing :v:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

Are there any car mounts that fit the 6P that have as good of a windshield mount as the iOttie but don't clamp onto the volume buttons like the iOttie?

If you already have a case on your phone, I can't recommend enough getting a magnetic mount.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If you already have a case on your phone, I can't recommend enough getting a magnetic mount.

This is the one thing I really miss coming to a Moto X from my Nexus 4. It was just so drat slick and easy to use the magnet vs. the grip I have now.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

hooah posted:

This is the one thing I really miss coming to a Moto X from my Nexus 4. It was just so drat slick and easy to use the magnet vs. the grip I have now.

I hated putting a case on my Moto X Pure but I love my magnetic mount so much that I can live with the case.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm on a Galaxy S5 and I'm leaning towards upgrading to an S7 Edge because my S5's performance is increasingly lovely. Is there anything I should know about the S7E giving me secret tumors or something?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Just don't buy it if you want the goofy edge features because they aren't worth it

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

vyst posted:

Just don't buy it if you want the goofy edge features because they aren't worth it

Oh, I have no interest in those specifically. I did a quick compare between the 7 and the 7E and it seems the later edges out the former in some ways, and I'm trying to future proof this purchase a bit better than when I bought the S5 (it was either buy an S5 at the time or wait a bit for the 6, didn't want to wait, etc)

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

MisterBibs posted:

I did a quick compare between the 7 and the 7E and it seems the later edges out the former

You should write reviews.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

uPen posted:

You should write reviews.

Oh God, I didn't realize. :negative:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

RichterIX posted:

"My cellphone melted while I was charging it, so naturally I'm going to replace it with something from the same manufacturer."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

RZA Encryption posted:

"My cellphone melted while I was charging it, so naturally I'm going to replace it with something from the same manufacturer."

Words engraved on a polished brass plaque on a marble pedestal in the middle of a park in Seoul.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Yeah, I'd definitely be all over one of those if I had a case, but cases offend me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Words engraved on a polished brass plaque on a marble pedestal in the middle of a park in Seoul.

It sounds more impressive in Latin.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

It sounds more impressive in Latin.

Yeah but for posterity we ought to leave it in the original Hangul.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

RichterIX posted:

Nothing at all besides the fact that the only Nexus listed on the AT&T website is a web-only refurbished Nexus 6. Maybe the store stock is different and I'm just pissing in the wind trying to shop on their website.

I'll keep an eye out for these when I'm at the store this afternoon.

The last time I was shopping for a phone this thread was super anti-Samsung, and some of that sentiment seems to have dried up and I am seeing the S7 recommended now. I'm not averse to this being my real upgrade, I was really only defaulting to the G4 because it looked like my options for top-of-the-line were the S7 and G5 and not much else.

Yeah apparently Samsung dialed touchwiz down from "usability nightmare" to "some bloatware you could live with." Plus, it's a real nice phone hardware wise.

BonoMan posted:

Thread consensus is that the Nexus 5X takes really decent pics, and it's around 300$ for the 32gb version.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Endless Mike posted:

At the very least they finally got rid of the invite system, so any idiot can get one :v:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
If I don't even have to show my tits for a One Plus then it loses the novelty of exclusivity which is the only thing it had going for it in the first place.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Chikimiki posted:

Thread consensus is that the Nexus 5X takes really decent pics, and it's around 300$ for the 32gb version.

Like a hundred bucks less if you get it through Project Fi.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Uthor posted:

Like a hundred bucks less if you get it through Project Fi.

Pretty sure that's the 16 GB one for $200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Chikimiki posted:

$272.03 through Google fi to be exact, mine is coming today.32gb

$150 off supposedly, I could flip it on swappa for profit maybe until the new Nexus comes out.