Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

6W idle and 7W showing a BluRay? :eyepop:

Though under load it spikes > 300W, so maybe I don't understand power measurements as well as I thought I did.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Edit: I can't read

Theris fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 2, 2016

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
ASUS announced its Strix GTX 1070 yesterday.

1885 MHz engine clock and other tech stuff my eyes glazed over at.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
http://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/wDXeenueCnQWjiyUmWMehc.png

http://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/STzq6Xzsv3PJdRizjnMghg.png

Why the hell would I upgrade from my R9 Nano I bought last month.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Sadness

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29570080#post29570080

quote:

Spoke with Asus and EVGA face to face today and no custom cards will be shipping until the weekend from Far East due to GPU shipments getting delayed which effects all brands.

We've now sold over 700 Strix cards so Asus got their work cut out!

EVGA Classified is 14+2 power phase, wow!
Nope all GPU shipments delayed by a week which adds one additional week on every custom 1080 card from all brands.
Ok my apologies our website is not reflecting what I learnt a few hours ago with some board partners. This is global not just uk.
I shall get our site changed to 17th By guys back in office ASAP. (PS OcUK staff please action ETA update).

Maybe the 1070 will be out by the time the 3rd party AIB's start shipping. Or the next wave of founders, heh

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It seems like eVGA is trying to redeem themselves after Heatpipegate and then being considered the most "boring" cards from last generation.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

All of the AIB 1070 and 1080's look needlessly big. That is unfortunate.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Why does the 2GB 960 perform better than the 4GB one?

Also that really drives home that being poor means I will be scraping along with bottom of the barrel graphics until the heatsink death of the universe. :saddowns:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

Why does the 2GB 960 perform better than the 4GB?

The bus is too narrow for the buffer pool and utilizes compression on the 4GB. It also uses slower memory.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Looks like eGPU might be coming from Apple: http://www.engadget.com/2016/06/01/apple-5k-monitor-leak/

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001

The Whiz Kid posted:

Does anyone here have an FE 1080? I'm interested in hearing about (har har) how loud you personally think the cooler is. I have a pretty small case with kinda poor airflow, so I was thinking that a blower-style exhaust system might be better for me. At the same time, I don't want my PC to sound like it's going to take off when I game.

I have 2 and I was expecting the worst with the blower coolers. To my surprise they are quieter than my old cards (EVGA 980ti FTW+'s) even with an aggressive fan curve.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

DarkEnigma posted:

I have 2 and I was expecting the worst with the blower coolers. To my surprise they are quieter than my old cards (EVGA 980ti FTW+'s) even with an aggressive fan curve.

Post some SLI benchmarks! I don't think I've seen any yet. If you're worried about the HB SLI bridge, you can probably just use two regular SLI bridges across the fingers for the same result.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Guru3D has a comprehensive review of MSI's 1080 8G up - and drat that's a pretty card under the HSF.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-geforce-gtx-1080-gaming-x-8g-review,4.html

1.1 kilogram for the card. :stare: Makes me glad I've got an Air 540 on its side.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 2, 2016

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I need as much eGPU adoption as possible to make my janky dreams come true. Fingers crossed for not bad latency.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Ninkobei posted:

(citation needed)

3DMark11 puts the 1070 and Titan (~22000) right next to each other, stock to stock. the 1080 scores ~27000, so a 1070 scores 20% of the performance for 25% less CUDA cores, and it consumes just under 140W. Thus, the 1060 will have 60-65% the performance of a 1080 and probably 90-100W power draw. Compared to the RX480 which struggles in the most favorable conditions to be 50% that of 1080 for nearly 150W.

And scaling upwards, Vega will be some dumb 225W monstrosity that trades blows with the 1080 while being more expensive. Polaris and Vega look to be basically just die shrinks at this point, especially with such mediocre maximum clocks, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least that AMD knew this was coming for a long time and has been throwing up VR, price/perf, etc as spin to make up for the complete failure of GCN, and that the 480X was originally supposed to be a Titan X competitor for 349$, instead of a rehash of the 290/290X and their firesale prices and razor thin margins.

Just to be 100% above board (and of being a prophet)

FaustianQ posted:

You guys are behaving like somehow that monopoly hasn't defacto existed for awhile and that AMD hasn't just been propped up like a dead corpse by miners and fools. 300 series will flop, Zen won't match skylake and the 400 series won't compete with the more capable Geforce 1000 cards. AMD will die and no one will notice and things will continue on as before because the demands from high end users will continue to put pressure on Intel and Nvidia to innovate at the same or better price point. The death of AMD is not the techpocalypse.

AMD is already VIA, they are already noncompetitive. I could root for AMD until I turn loving blue, that basically means nothing as far as them being a good company which can remain competitive.

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 2, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I hope this is a culmination of the AMD thing, the Intel thing, and the external GPU thing, because that can only be a good thing for all parties involved.

Well, except maybe the Mac consumer. Their wallets are gonna get a hurt real bad.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

FaustianQ posted:

wild speculation about how Vega is totally gonna blow and GCN was awful

AMD could shoot up to majority market share from a series of successfully priced releases and people like you would be complaining about a torrent of dumb things and spouting unfounded accusations while completely ignoring Nvidia's faults.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

1.1 kilogram for the card. :stare: Makes me glad I've got an Air 540 on its side.

:stonkhat: If there was ever a case for a CLC mod...

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

AMD setting the NDA on the 480 to be the same day as when they are available to buy is a really lovely thing to do. Everyone freaked out about the 10x0 series saying "wait for benchmarks before buying!!", until people realised that the NDA lifted a full week before launch so everyone had time to digest and compare the value of the card before buying. It just seems like AMD isn't confident enough in the card and wants to cash in on launch day impulse purchases.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It looks rather nice that way, too. Nice to see someone else did it.

As a quick question, how did you lift the case up enough to let the PSU breathe? I bought a big 0.5" thick strip of rubber and made "feet" out of it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PerrineClostermann posted:

It looks rather nice that way, too. Nice to see someone else did it.

As a quick question, how did you lift the case up enough to let the PSU breathe? I bought a big 0.5" thick strip of rubber and made "feet" out of it.

Rubber chair feet at four corners at the bottom with adhesive stuck to them.

Like these: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-4-I...s=adhesive+feet

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Kazinsal posted:

AMD could shoot up to majority market share from a series of successfully priced releases and people like you would be complaining about a torrent of dumb things and spouting unfounded accusations while completely ignoring Nvidia's faults.

But they won't, because they didn't even when they had superior hardware in all aspects and their marketing team is a bunch of animal balloons and the clown that made them. Nvidia may have faults but they're not a slowly unfolding catastrophe that can't even get basics right.

And like I said, I'd be happy to eat my words, but I'm not going to. AMD just released a card which matches a 980 almost perf/watt despite a huge leg up on process and is already throwing it out at firesale prices to prevent a complete disaster.

Titan P, 1080ti; unmatched
1080 > Vega 10 (Fury 2?); Vega 10 will be similar STS, 225W, no OC headroom and 550$
1070 < Vega 10 (RX490?); RX490 will be 10% faster, 190W, no OC headroom and 400$
1060 > Polaris 10 (RX480); Will be similar STS, 150W, we already know it's 200-250$
1050 < Polaris 10 (RX470); Will be 20% faster STS, 120W, 140-180$
1040 = Polaris 11 (RX460); Will be similar STS, 60W, 100-140$
GP108 << Polaris 11 (RX450); Will be 35% faster STS, 45W, 50-90$ (Meet your new low profile overlord).

Is the rosiest picture I can imagine for AMD, all the while they're eating terrible margins and only gain 5% more marketshare (so 27-28% marketshare by Q2 2017).

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Or, AMD releases a card that nearly matches the 980 and can be made so cheaply and reliably they can launch at stupid cheap prices and still make profit.

Yay words?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

FaustianQ posted:

But they won't, because they didn't even when they had superior hardware in all aspects and their marketing team is a bunch of animal balloons and the clown that made them. Nvidia may have faults but they're not a slowly unfolding catastrophe that can't even get basics right.

And like I said, I'd be happy to eat my words, but I'm not going to. AMD just released a card which matches a 980 almost perf/watt despite a huge leg up on process and is already throwing it out at firesale prices to prevent a complete disaster.

Titan P, 1080ti; unmatched
1080 > Vega 10 (Fury 2?); Vega 10 will be similar STS, 225W, no OC headroom and 550$
1070 < Vega 10 (RX490?); RX490 will be 10% faster, 190W, no OC headroom and 400$
1060 > Polaris 10 (RX480); Will be similar STS, 150W, we already know it's 200-250$
1050 < Polaris 10 (RX470); Will be 20% faster STS, 120W, 140-180$
1040 = Polaris 11 (RX460); Will be similar STS, 60W, 100-140$
GP108 << Polaris 11 (RX450); Will be 35% faster STS, 45W, 50-90$ (Meet your new low profile overlord).

Is the rosiest picture I can imagine for AMD, all the while they're eating terrible margins and only gain 5% more marketshare (so 27-28% marketshare by Q2 2017).

Isn't AMD making the CPU/GPU for all the new consoles? That's not an insignificant amount of money and business if you think about it.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Hamelekim posted:

Isn't AMD making the CPU/GPU for all the new consoles? That's not an insignificant amount of money and business if you think about it.

Wasn't their deal for the current consoles selling chips nearly at cost?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

PerrineClostermann posted:

Or, AMD releases a card that nearly matches the 980 and can be made so cheaply and reliably they can launch at stupid cheap prices and still make profit.

Yay words?

Like my posts, I too can reliably turn out garbage and not make a profit, except I don't call it awesome or revolutionary.

Hamelekim posted:

The margins on those deals were pretty awful and saved only by volume.

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001

SlayVus posted:

Post some SLI benchmarks! I don't think I've seen any yet. If you're worried about the HB SLI bridge, you can probably just use two regular SLI bridges across the fingers for the same result.

Only one I've done so far is Firestrike Ultra. I kinda scored 17th in the world for 2 way sli with a score of 10040.
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/12270641

I spent hours tweaking overclocks. The new Precision XOC from EVGA is garbage. Inconsistent results and crashes all over the place. I used MSI Afterburner beta to get a stable +195 on the core and +365 on the memory.

I am waiting on the HB bridge, and I did read that old bridges should work if you use two, however only if you have the type with a LED in it. I don't think two of the old ribbons will work.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Hamelekim posted:

The margins on consoles are thin. Very thin, because Sony and Microsoft joust with eachother on the bottom line of their end product, selling the console at a loss until refinements in manufacturing can bring the cost down to turn that cost into a profit. Money is made on selling games, which is why game prices are so very much less inflexible than with the PC market.

AMD will make *some* money. Contrary to popular belief, they *are* still a business after all. But it's not that great.

(Tangentially I have heard a rumour that Nintendo intends to shake things up a bit with where they get their hardware from with the NX. I hope that this means that Nintendo will stop punching themselves in the face and adopt an x86 architecture as well, in order to make porting less onerous, and contribute to their continued existence. But I doubt it.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 2, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

(Tangentially I have heard a rumour that Nintendo intends to shake things up a bit with where they get their hardware from with the NX. I hope that this means that Nintendo will stop punching themselves in the face and adopt an x86 architecture as well, in order to make porting less onerous, and contribute to their continued existence. But I doubt it.)

The rumor is Nintendo is basically packaging a Tegra X1 into a handheld. I mean, that'd be one hell of a way for Nvidia to sell the Shield and associated service but otherwise lmfao.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FaustianQ posted:

Like my posts, I too can reliably turn out garbage and not make a profit, except I don't call it awesome or revolutionary.

I don't get it

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FaustianQ posted:

The rumor is Nintendo is basically packaging a Tegra X1 into a handheld. I mean, that'd be one hell of a way for Nvidia to sell the Shield and associated service but otherwise lmfao.

:cripes:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I'm being smarmy and saying GCN4 has the same quality/profit as my posts in contradiction.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FaustianQ posted:

I'm being smarmy and saying GCN4 has the same quality/profit as my posts in contradiction.

Do your posts support freesync

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

You wouldn't you're fine, the rest of us coming fro old 750's and 560's are going to.

Furnaceface posted:

Why does the 2GB 960 perform better than the 4GB one?

Also that really drives home that being poor means I will be scraping along with bottom of the barrel graphics until the heatsink death of the universe. :saddowns:

The 480 is for us poors while the 1070 are for people with good jobs.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

wargames posted:

The 480 is for us poors while the 1070 are for people with good jobs.
Or people with bad spending habits.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Hamelekim posted:

Or people with bad spending habits.

That's the 1080 mate.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Tommofork posted:

That's the 1080 mate.

guilty :(

Just bought a 800 euro monitor too... I need help

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mikojan posted:

guilty :(

Just bought a 800 euro monitor too... I need help

I'm fully expecting to lay out something like $2500-3000 for my next build in about 12-15 months from now. I justify it in the sense that I've spent a grand total of ~$330 on this current build (for a 970 upgrade) since early 2012 - the only component that'll be 'coming with' is the 750GB 840 EVO (Steam drive) and my Seasonic 1kW, which will still be under warranty. And the Air 540 - it might not win any beauty contests for looks, but for functionality and practicality it can't be beat.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jun 2, 2016

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm fully expecting to lay out something like $2500-3000 for my next build in about 12-15 months from now. I justify it in the sense that I've spent a grand total of ~$330 on this current build (for a 970 upgrade) since early 2012 - the only component that'll be 'coming with' is the 750GB 840 EVO (Steam drive) and my Seasonic 1kW, which will still be under warranty.

I'm looking at making a less sensible upgrade from my 4790k to a 5930k/6850k. Parting it out is like $1,700.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Fudzilla, of all places, appears to have done some drilling down on what we saw between the Xfire 480s and the single 1080 Ashes of the Singularity demo:

http://fudzilla.com/news/graphics/40808-amd-radeon-rx-480-crossfire-rendering-differently-vs-gtx-1080

As far as anyone can tell, the two different machines were identical, the settings were identical, and the only difference between the two (excluding AotS's procedural generation stuff, which appears to lead to non-identical test runs from benchmark to benchmark, which is what I'm starting to suspect) is that the 1080 was run on a slightly newer version of the game. (1.12.19928.0 vs 1.11.19556.0)

I'm starting to think that AMD basically shot themselves in the foot by not running the benchmark a couple dozen times for each configuration and cherry picking the best-looking AMD result and the worst-looking NVidia result.

Of note, at the very bottom of the article:

quote:

So far, one AMD official has encouraged us to reach out to Stardock to confirm which scene is more aligned with the developer's "intended visuals and rendering results."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm fully expecting to lay out something like $2500-3000 for my next build in about 12-15 months from now.
Same here. I will enjoy watching the GPU battles while playing all games maxed on my 980ti with 6700K oc @ 1440p.
A 1080ti custom and a 6 or 8 core Intel CPU should be a serious upgrade in summer 2017, to push fps on a 32" curved G-Sync Monitor.

The new GPU generation should help the 1080p to 1440p jump for everyone.