Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Typical of the Welsh, an unnecessary "warm-up" test match against England has resulted in an injury to a key player. Dan Lydiate is going to sit out the NZ tour, with Ellis Jenkins called in to replace him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Vagabundo posted:

Typical of the Welsh, an unnecessary "warm-up" test match against England has resulted in an injury to a key player. Dan Lydiate is going to sit out the NZ tour, with Ellis Jenkins called in to replace him.

It wasn't unecessary. We at least gained the valuable knowledge that Gareth Anscombe and Rhys Priestland are completely useless.

Yes.. Valuable new knowledge we can use to move forward.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
It took some time for England to warm up but the general game plan worked. The forwards were solid if not inspirational and the backs were much better actually unlocking a defense instead of just running at it. The forward situation is simple as the Saracens lot will come straight in and Farrell will be back at 10 but the backs are now a harder decision. Better to have too much talent than too little.

The Welsh were the same one dimensional side from four years ago. Big men running straight at defenders hoping to smash their way through. This may work against lesser sides or against teams the forwards can bully but against good teams it falls flat. The forwards are yet again a bit soft and when they get pushed back by a decent pack the entire team is stopped from playing.

Australia will be far more worried from this game than the All Blacks will be. I expect tight games from Australia vs England and late game blow outs from New Zealand vs Wales

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Lol gently caress me the SRU have finally done it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/36412323

They've basically all but exiled Sean Lineen and told him to gently caress off. The man that managed to grow and build Glasgow into the championship winning team it is today has basically been all but caste out now by the fuckwit cuntheads at Edinburgh PLC.

I'm looking forward to the day the SRU is finally burnt to the loving ground.

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 30, 2016

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Mark Dodson and co are useless shitlords and have been for a long time. I see Roddy Grant has also been given the shaft too.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Vagabundo posted:

Springboks squad for the Ireland tour has been named. Generally a pretty good first squad from Coetzee. Pretty much everyone there deserves it, including Kitshoff's way, way, way overdue call-up. The emphasis has been on local, young players, with only 3 of the 31 based in Europe.

No captain has been named yet, as Coetzee wants to see his team up-close before making the call.

Hookers
Bongi Mbonambi (Stormers)
Scarra Ntubeni (Stormers)
Adriaan Strauss (Bulls)

Props
Steven Kitshoff (Bordeaux)
Frans Malherbe (Stormers)
Beast Mtawarira (Sharks)
Trevor Nyakane (Bulls)
Julian Redelinghuys (Lions)

Locks
Lood de Jager (Cheetahs)
Pieter-Steph du Toit (Stormers)
Eben Etzebeth (Stormers)

Loose Forwards
Siya Kolisi (Stormers)
Jaco Kriel (Lions)
Francois Louw (Bath)
Sikhumbuzo Notshe (Stormers)
Duane Vermeulen (Toulon)
Warren Whiteley (Lions)

Halfbacks
Faf de Klerk (Lions)
Nic Groom (Stormers)
Rudy Paige (Bulls)

Five-Eighths
Garth April (Sharks)
Elton Jantjies (Lions)
Pat Lambie (Sharks)

Midfielders
Damian de Allende (Stormers)
Jesse Kriel (Bulls)
Lionel Mapoe (Lions)
Jan Serfontein (Bulls)

Back Three
Ruan Combrinck (Lions)
Willie le Roux (Sharks)
Lwazi Mvovo (Sharks)
JP Pietersen (Sharks)

It only took getting a new coach for the Springboks to acknowledge that Lion's players exist.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Adriaan Strauss has been named Springboks captain.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Vagabundo posted:

Adriaan Strauss has been named Springboks captain.

He's a good choice. Strong leadership at the cheetahs and bulls and a much cooler head than Bismarck.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Foxtrot_13 posted:

It took some time for England to warm up but the general game plan worked. The forwards were solid if not inspirational and the backs were much better actually unlocking a defense instead of just running at it. The forward situation is simple as the Saracens lot will come straight in and Farrell will be back at 10 but the backs are now a harder decision. Better to have too much talent than too little.

Australia will be far more worried from this game than the All Blacks will be. I expect tight games from Australia vs England and late game blow outs from New Zealand vs Wales

Australia aren't really the pushovers that they once were, and when you consider the quality of the opposition the Wallabies are regularly up against, I do wonder how actually threatened they'd feel about the English. Of course, the England team is far better than the one that was blundering about in the World Cup, with more sensible selections.

The real problem areas I can see for the Wallabies are:

The second-row - still sorely lacking the workhorse/enforcer lock, although Horwill is closer to this mould than most of the other selections with significant test experience. If Adam Coleman and Rory Arnold survive the cut it'll be interesting to see how they'd go.

Halfback - Nothing about Phipps convinces me he's genuinely test class, and neither of the other two have any test selection. Frisby probably wouldn't have been selected if Cheika had opted to go with Genia using the "Giteau clause," and Joe Powell has played less than an hour combined in this year's Super Rugby competition for the Brumbies without standing out.

WMain00 posted:

Lol gently caress me the SRU have finally done it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/36412323

They've basically all but exiled Sean Lineen and told him to gently caress off. The man that managed to grow and build Glasgow into the championship winning team it is today has basically been all but caste out now by the fuckwit cuntheads at Edinburgh PLC.

I'm looking forward to the day the SRU is finally burnt to the loving ground.

Jesus christ, every step forward they manage to take, they somehow find a way to leap backwards, often ending up behind where they started out. It just shows how easy it is to take for granted how well the NZRU is being run by people who know what the gently caress they're doing like Steve Tew down here. Of course, a fair part of this was also built off the back of people who also figured out what the gently caress they were supposed to do in 95/96, but still.

butros posted:

He's a good choice. Strong leadership at the cheetahs and bulls and a much cooler head than Bismarck.

I think he was the best possible option out of what was there. Mtawarira has recent captaincy experience with the Sharks, but he has lost the plot a few times this season - most notably against the Highlanders where he was lucky not to be sent off for abusing the ref. Duane Vermeulen's stint with the Stormers was largely unimpressive as well, and while Whiteley would probably make a good captain, I'm not sure if he's secured a starting spot let alone the captaincy.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 30, 2016

Nermal
Mar 16, 2004
Hey baby, wanna kill all humans?

butros posted:

He also looks like a giant baby, which is a plus.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Nermal posted:

He also looks like a giant baby, which is a plus.

Meanwhile, Lood de Jager looks like someone grabbed Sam Tarly by the head and stretched his body vertically, but left his head as is.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Sonny Bill has signed for the Blues for three years.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Well I got my tickets ready for the 1st test at Eden park - while I don't like to count my chickens I do think the English tour of Australia is ultimately more intriguing.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Vagabundo posted:

Australia aren't really the pushovers that they once were, and when you consider the quality of the opposition the Wallabies are regularly up against, I do wonder how actually threatened they'd feel about the English. Of course, the England team is far better than the one that was blundering about in the World Cup, with more sensible selections.

The real problem areas I can see for the Wallabies are:

The second-row - still sorely lacking the workhorse/enforcer lock, although Horwill is closer to this mould than most of the other selections with significant test experience. If Adam Coleman and Rory Arnold survive the cut it'll be interesting to see how they'd go.

Halfback - Nothing about Phipps convinces me he's genuinely test class, and neither of the other two have any test selection. Frisby probably wouldn't have been selected if Cheika had opted to go with Genia using the "Giteau clause," and Joe Powell has played less than an hour combined in this year's Super Rugby competition for the Brumbies without standing out.

Considering that England are Grand Slam winners and the 2nd string gave Wales a spanking I expect Australia will treat the England games like they were South Africa or New Zealand and pit their backs into it. The All Blacks on the other hand will look at the Six Nations performance and this game from Wales and wonder if it would be more of a challenge to play Fiji

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Crowing about beating Wales right now is basically akin to shouting from the rooftops about how incredibad Andrew Sheridan's scrummaging is after demolishing a mid-2000s Aussie front row.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Oh god. We're the new Scotland.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Nah, they didn't look like they could win that game until the last ten minutes.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Rest assured that Scotland have always been and will always be the new Scotland

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It's OK, you can all be Scotland. You all do about as well as each other against the SH teams. :smug:

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Scotland had the best win percentage of all the NH teams against SH teams from 2007 to 2015. It was shite mind but still the best ;)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Scotland still the best Scotland in the Scottish hemisphere. Scotland also came closest to making the semifinals at the last RWC out of all the Scotlands that were at the tournament. England Scotlanded the most by being Scotlanded out of the tournament early by the Aussies.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Good thing NZ is full of Scottish immigrants, wouldn't want them missing out on being Scotland too. ;)

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

Vagabundo posted:

England Scotlanded the most by being Scotlanded out of the tournament early by the new Scotland.

There, ftfy

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
http://www.worldrugby.org/news/165437

Some pretty cool rule changes:

quote:

Teams must be ready to form a scrum within 30 seconds of the scrum being awarded, unless the referee stops the clock for an injury or another stoppage

quote:

Play acting or “simulation” is specifically outlawed in the game in a move that formalises resistance to a practice that has been creeping into the game in recent years. Any player who dives or feigns injury in an effort to influence the match officials will be liable for sanction

quote:

Advantage may be played following a scrum collapse if there is no risk to player safety

quote:

When the ball has been at the number eight’s feet in a stationary scrum for 3-5 seconds, the referee will call “use it” and the attacking team must use the ball immediately

and the SH maul changes coming into effect

quote:

In addition, an important maul law application guideline, that has been in place in the southern hemisphere since 1 January, will be enforced in the north from 1 June. Specifically, the ball can be moved backwards hand-to-hand once the maul has formed. A player is not allowed to move or slide to the back of the maul when he is in possession of the ball and the ripper needs to stay in contact with the jumper until they have transferred the ball. Sanction: Penalty.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Pro Rugby in the USA has decided to add names to each team (instead of just the city/state). You can now vote for them and they are terrible
https://twitter.com/ProRugbyUSA/status/738015989615480832

https://twitter.com/ProRugbyUSA/status/738015888767586308
STEAMERS 4 LYFE
https://twitter.com/ProRugbyUSA/status/738015832891084800

https://twitter.com/ProRugbyUSA/status/738015729182773250

https://twitter.com/ProRugbyUSA/status/738015638841622528

Ohio Presidents :geno:

Vote for Steamers!

poly and open-minded fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 1, 2016

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yep, they're all bad. Choosing based on the availability of easy headlines,

"Rush" and "Fury" are both strong. Miners is a bit problematic with the whole minors thing, but there are a lot of tunnelling options and the classic "striking gold" potential.
"Stampede" is probably better than "Peak", although the "Denver Peak too early" headline is a strong claim on its own.
"Steamers" is a loving gift.
"Breakers" is quite good, you can go for a breaker waves thing, rock breaker gangs, breaker circuits... "hitting the brakes" and "breaking through" would be the basic go tos. "Admirals" offers a lot of scope for nautical puns.
Ohio I think has to be "Flight", the others are just too limiting.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Does Ohio have a lot of planes or something?

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

iirc Neil Armstrong and the Wright Brothers were born there.

Steamers isn't winning, which is terrible

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Anyone who doesn't vote Steamers is a monster who doesn't deserve nice things.

Is Ohio famous for planes? Or is it because it's a flyover state?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
For some reason I can't connect to that website.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Any naming poll that doesn't allow for write-ins are invalid and a waste of time imo.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I am in a different place, on a different network, some hours later, and I still cannot get to that website. Maybe they don't want my filthy English votes.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I've also not had any luck being able to access the site at all on a number of networks. I do understand wanting to keep anyone living in England away from voting though...

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I think every single option is terrible. Then again all the US sport franchises are terribly named.

The problem is they don't take suggestions like rugby mcrugbyface

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Even on a VPN I can't connect.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Are you all seriously this apathetic about the chance to name one of the USA pro teams after an iconically bad N64 game?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ireland fans rejoice! Jonathan Sexton's been officially ruled out of the tour to South Africa! Did I say "rejoice?" I meant to say "lament."

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin

Vagabundo posted:

Ireland fans rejoice! Jonathan Sexton's been officially ruled out of the tour to South Africa! Did I say "rejoice?" I meant to say "lament."

I'm glad Jackson got so much valuable game time in this year's 6 Nations, wouldn't want him being dropped into the team having last played for 22 minutes against Romania 8 months ago.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Shame it takes a raft of injuries to inject some fresh blood into this Ireland squad. Matt Healy, O'Halloran and Gilroy offer more at this point that the Kearney's and Fitzgerald anyway so I'm not concerned there. Why joe continues to pick Rob at 15 I don't know, he won't be here for the next world cup and he hasn't been in form for a long, long time.

Jacko is coming off a great season so hopefully he can show something, I don't think ireland have much hope of a first Test win in SA though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

The Moscow 7s is on.

Can the British Olympic Team possibly triumph over the mighty Poland?

http://www.rugbyeurope.tv/en/content/160604-7s-grand-prix-series-moscow-2016-day-1