Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GMEEOORH posted:

Long time ago, was it?

8th and 9th grade, 15-16 years ago.

Also, that should have been a 'Z' instead of an 'H'.

E: I blame these old crooked fingers. I've been brushing up on some Spanish lately.

nexus6 posted:

Professor Havière

Professeur

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 12:15 on Jun 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well maybe they'll have Gambit in the next one.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

My Lovely Horse posted:

Well maybe they'll have Gambit in the next one.

Not likely, but you can be 100% damned sure they'll jam Wolverine in there somehow.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KozmoNaut posted:

Not likely, but you can be 100% damned sure they'll jam Wolverine in there somehow.

I tend to think not unless they recast, which I also tend to think they won't do for a while.

I do hope Sony gets their poo poo together so that we end up with him in the last Avengers, though.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Inzombiac posted:

But... who made the robots? :tinfoil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptlkw49o-54

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The next movie will be all about X-23

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ignite Memories posted:

The next movie will be all about X-23

X-23 is cool and good that would be alright.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

nexus6 posted:

That or the trailer will completely misrepresent the film so you go in expecting one thing and get another (I'm looking at you, Hail Caesar).

Sucker Punch

Trailer: "gently caress yes, there's no way to gently caress this up--smokin' girls fighting enormous samurai cyborgs and undead nazi soldiers set to that one Silversun Pickups tune. This is gonna rule so hard"

Actual film:

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Sucker Punch

Trailer: "gently caress yes, there's no way to gently caress this up--smokin' girls fighting enormous samurai cyborgs and undead nazi soldiers set to that one Silversun Pickups tune. This is gonna rule so hard"

Actual film:

That movie makes a lot of sense if you've spent time involuntarily confined to a mental ward. You don't have a lot to occupy your mind, the other patients are a mixture of catatonic, friendly, and loving with you for reasons you will never understand. Your doing the same thing to everybody else. The nurses are overworked and enforcing rules that make sense for the group but make no sense to the people who just want to take a nap in their room instead of reading year old people magazine.

Seeking refuge in a fantasy where you can have another fantasy where you can have some level of agency becomes completely normal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

They also pronounce "Xavier" as "Ecks-avee-er" instead of the proper "Hah-vee-air""Zah-vee-eh". As someone who took French in school, it annoys me to no end.

He's English.

Trent posted:

I tend to think not unless they recast, which I also tend to think they won't do for a while.

I do hope Sony gets their poo poo together so that we end up with him in the last Avengers, though.

Sony is Spider-Man, Fox is X-Men.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aphrodite posted:

Sony is Spider-Man, Fox is X-Men.

Oh yeah. Well, them then. In any case they should realize they can make some money instead of no money and simultaneously make something awesome happen.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Kevin Spacey lying about being Keyser Söze.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Throwing Turtles posted:

That movie makes a lot of sense if you've spent time involuntarily confined to a mental ward. You don't have a lot to occupy your mind, the other patients are a mixture of catatonic, friendly, and loving with you for reasons you will never understand. Your doing the same thing to everybody else. The nurses are overworked and enforcing rules that make sense for the group but make no sense to the people who just want to take a nap in their room instead of reading year old people magazine.

Seeking refuge in a fantasy where you can have another fantasy where you can have some level of agency becomes completely normal.

It felt like it was being too complicated for no reason. Like it could have been about a girl in an institution imagining she's this awesome warrior. But they added in that weird middle bit where she's a girl in a mental institution imagining she's a hooker stuck in a brothel who's imagining she's a ninja.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Dr_Amazing posted:

It felt like it was being too complicated for no reason. Like it could have been about a girl in an institution imagining she's this awesome warrior. But they added in that weird middle bit where she's a girl in a mental institution imagining she's a hooker stuck in a brothel who's imagining she's a ninja.

I blame M. Night Shyamalan.

And also LOST.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Aphrodite posted:

He's English.

Proper English pronunciation is similar to "saviour".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but he wants to feel like part of the team.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

"I'm Charles Xavier and these are my Zay-Men"

The biggest disappointment for me after and incredible trailer was Only God Forgives. It's a shame because the film contains all the elements of an amazing film but it's just not that good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAgirTtfobk

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

X-23 is cool and good that would be alright.

Counterpoint: X-23 is bad and dumb.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Gaunab posted:

Nobody believe this post.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Gaunab posted:

She is my angry clone waifu

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Dr_Amazing posted:

Zack Snyder gave an interview when the movie came out where he said the whole brothel thing is an allegory for how comic con nerds interact with actresses and have a bunch of weird sexual hangups about women.
I guess the fantasies represent the movies that they star in, and the mental institution is what it's actually like to deal with those sorts of people?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
For reasons I can't figure out, the spergy part of my mind has suspension-of-disbelief issues with a salient few mutant powers in the X-Men movies, and only a few.

I've got no problem with a dude who can control ferric metals, change their shape, muck with the weather, read everyone's minds, heal from anything instantly, literally have bird wings, whatever. My mind can slot that into That's What Works In This Universe.

Then I see the Summers kids shooting out laser beams from their eyes or chest, and some corner of my mind starts screaming how the caloric demands of doing poo poo like that must be through the roof, and using them willingly for more than five minutes must be like running for days at a time. I know I should just chalk it up to the universe these films, just like everything else, but I can't.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Then I see the Summers kids shooting out laser beams from their eyes or chest, and some corner of my mind starts screaming how the caloric demands of doing poo poo like that must be through the roof, and using them willingly for more than five minutes must be like running for days at a time. I know I should just chalk it up to the universe these films, just like everything else, but I can't.

IIRC, they're solar powered.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Can he make an umbrella out of adamantium and shoot it with his eyebeams?

And become flyclops

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

For reasons I can't figure out, the spergy part of my mind has suspension-of-disbelief issues with a salient few mutant powers in the X-Men movies, and only a few.

I've got no problem with a dude who can control ferric metals, change their shape, muck with the weather, read everyone's minds, heal from anything instantly, literally have bird wings, whatever. My mind can slot that into That's What Works In This Universe.

Despite being one of the originals, Cyclops does push the early logic where mutant powers were biological mutations. Then they had Nightcrawler and blew the doors open.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Nobody believe this post.

The heads of Marvel literally sat down and said, "Wolverine is incredibly popular. How can we cash in on this?" and someone replied, "Make a new Wolverine and add titties!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And make her a teenage hooker.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Aphrodite posted:

Despite being one of the originals, Cyclops does push the early logic where mutant powers were biological mutations. Then they had Nightcrawler and blew the doors open.

And they further explained away the troubles of birthing a mutant by saying that powers don't manifest until puberty or in cases of trauma when it's convenient for the plot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Aphrodite posted:

And make her a teenage hooker.

Frank Miller back working at Marvel, eh?

Bazinga!
Dec 15, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

[...]

:spergin:
Actually, his eyes are just a portal to another dimension, and he only spends energy to open this portal : (see http://marvel.com/universe/Cyclops : "Cyclops possesses the mutant ability to project a beam of heatless ruby-colored concussive force from his eyes, which act as inter-dimensional apertures between this universe and another.") so those caloric demands are not that high and his power is no less believable than the others. hth

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I don't even watch comic book movies and I find Wolverine's claws to be disgusting. Does he have constant open wounds on his hands? Ugh they're so gross, everything about them.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

cheerfullydrab posted:

I don't even watch comic book movies and I find Wolverine's claws to be disgusting. Does he have constant open wounds on his hands? Ugh they're so gross, everything about them.

They open wounds on his hands every time he extends them, then the wounds heal around them when they're retracted, due to his mutant healing factor.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Memento posted:

They open wounds on his hands every time he extends them, then the wounds heal around them when they're retracted, due to his mutant healing factor.

Yeah, remember the only power he should have naturally is the healing factor. Everything else was artificial.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, remember the only power he should have naturally is the healing factor. Everything else was artificial.

the claws are natural, but bone. the adamantine layering is artificial

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Bazinga! posted:

Actually, his eyes are just a portal to another dimension, and he only spends energy to open this portal : (see http://marvel.com/universe/Cyclops : "Cyclops possesses the mutant ability to project a beam of heatless ruby-colored concussive force from his eyes, which act as inter-dimensional apertures between this universe and another.") so those caloric demands are not that high and his power is no less believable than the others. hth

Also unless it was retconned, the reason he's the only one who can't control his laser beams is because he hit his head and has brain damage.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Polaron posted:

What? I was literally quoting from the script, what are you talking about?

EDIT: Unless you're telling me that line went through several revisions and still made it in, which is almost too ridiculous to believe.

Yo calm down guy, I obviously misremmbered.
I haven't seen that shite in ten years.
Both lines are loving awful.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

kujeger posted:

the claws are natural, but bone. the adamantine layering is artificial

The thing that bugs me about the bone claws is that they're never drawn/shown in movies to actually look like claws. Instead they're just these weird bony spikes that don't look like anything or look like they're even sharp. And speaking of sharp, it really doesn't make any sense how those same bone claws get covered in metal and come out looking like knives.

Bazinga! posted:

That description of his powers only ever showed up in a character compendium thing and has never actually been part of the comics.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

muscles like this? posted:

The thing that bugs me about the bone claws is that they're never drawn/shown in movies to actually look like claws. Instead they're just these weird bony spikes that don't look like anything or look like they're even sharp. And speaking of sharp, it really doesn't make any sense how those same bone claws get covered in metal and come out looking like knives.

could be they are filed down then covered with the adamantine; the metal would prevent them from healing back to their natural shape.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

kujeger posted:

could be they are filed down then covered with the adamantine; the metal would prevent them from healing back to their natural shape.

Well, if you're going with the movies, I think he just kind of got injected with the adamantium and it sort of coated his bones somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tiggum posted:

Well, if you're going with the movies, I think he just kind of got injected with the adamantium and it sort of coated his bones somehow?

A wizard did itNanomachines, son!