Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
If Marin counts, there are several AAA studios up here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

DancingMachine posted:

If you must go to SF (don't)

By living in San Francisco, I meant the bay area in general -- I'm still mixing up the two. :v:

I'm personally interested in San Mateo -- close to some nice bike rides :v:, halfway between SF and Stanford... But my partner worries that it's a boring commuter town. To which I say it's going to be the lot of basically any "affordable" location in the area...

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Jan posted:

By living in San Francisco, I meant the bay area in general -- I'm still mixing up the two. :v:

I'm personally interested in San Mateo -- close to some nice bike rides :v:, halfway between SF and Stanford... But my partner worries that it's a boring commuter town. To which I say it's going to be the lot of basically any "affordable" location in the area...
Your partner (and you presumably) should probably avoid California entirely, if you want to avoid boring commuter towns. Your options there are "can't afford to live here" or that, near as I can tell.

Come up to Seattle! We're way cooler! There are actually places to live where you can have downtown access AND enough money for food! :haw:

EDIT:

xzzy posted:

I mean, not as bad as SF, but still pretty bad. All the major cities are going to slowly suck the life out of you by forcing you to deal with crowded roads or cumbersome mass transit.
Eh. Assuming you've got a kickass downtown job of some kind, the Bainbridge Island ferry / live on Bainbridge with the rich folks plan results in a pretty neat commute. Even further out, getting to downtown isn't bad at all, as compared to getting downtown from a commuter town in Cali. That's how the work-for-Amazon plan can look here, basically.

I have no magical suggestion for how to deal with getting to east side without living in a boring commuter town, though. The bridges suck, and I-5 is just haha. So if you want to work for one of the AAA devs over there... whelp. :( (though if you're down with living in a boring commuter town, the rents over there are still going to be lower than Cali, etc)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 1, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But commuting in Seattle is pretty lovely too.

I mean, not as bad as SF, but still pretty bad. All the major cities are going to slowly suck the life out of you by forcing you to deal with crowded roads or cumbersome mass transit.

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Jan posted:

I lived near San Mateo for a while when I worked on RIFT and it was fine, but it depends a lot on what you're looking for in a local area. Food's good, at least! It's also very close to EA's Redwood Shores location.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
Asked in Slack, buttttttt.....

Has anyone heard of any companies who go above and beyond with the perks during crunch? e.g. in addition to normal food provided, taking care of people's laundry, giving them a stipend for Ubering to and fro, a childcare stipend, organizing grocery delivery, etc? Basically taking care of all of the life poo poo that falls by the wayside when you're in the office too drat much.

Or any other ways to make crunch less awful?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

devilmouse posted:

Has anyone heard of any companies who go above and beyond with the perks during crunch? e.g. in addition to normal food provided, taking care of people's laundry, giving them a stipend for Ubering to and fro, a childcare stipend, organizing grocery delivery, etc? Basically taking care of all of the life poo poo that falls by the wayside when you're in the office too drat much.

Thought crunch was awful by definition. I've never worked anywhere where it was explicit, but at one place you could bring in dry cleaning and that only ever seemed used during busy periods. They also had a couch (bed) in every meeting room.

At another place my boss let me choose how to comp out the crunch time myself; eg if I wanted to stay late vs come in other days. Didn't make it much less awful, but I was at least able to schedule a semblance of a life around it.

The best thing to do is organize your schedule, team, and scope such that you don't need to crunch. The literal worst thing is to crunch more than ~2 weeks because then you're less efficient than just not crunching anyway (according to the literature; substitute 2 wks for whatever the real value is, can't be bothered to look up the studies). The best places I've worked treated crunching as the failure of management it is and brought it up in project retrospectives with why it happened and how to avoid in the future.

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

devilmouse posted:

I seem to recall Blizzard doing laundry service and a few other similar things during Burning Crusade crunch. Mind you, I can't remember it clearly due to, y'know, the crunch. :v:

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
I think Dundee in Scotland is one of the major (if not the major) European hubs. Or at least used to be.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Joda posted:

I think Dundee in Scotland is one of the major (if not the major) European hubs. Or at least used to be.

It still is :v:

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Seattle/ Bellevue is probably the biggest game dev hub in the US.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

I'm surprised I never seem to read posts in here from Montreal

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

zolthorg posted:

Are you kidding? Have you seen the amount of stairs in Montreal apartments? This is no place for goons. :downs:

There just aren't many SA users around here.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Seattle, Montreal, LA - that's it that I can think of for sizable AAA hubs in North America. If you expand to the entire world I would add... uh... Stockholm and Tokyo I guess? Maybe Kyoto.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

While we're talking cities, anybody in here from the Minneapolis/St. Paul area? I know we have a sum total of no studios, but we've got at least a tiny community and I like to get to know people in it.

Also, I've seen it mentioned a couple of times-- is there a specifically SA game dev/game jobs Slack?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

DancingMachine posted:

Seattle, Montreal, LA - that's it that I can think of for sizable AAA hubs in North America. If you expand to the entire world I would add... uh... Stockholm and Tokyo I guess? Maybe Kyoto.

Orange County has a poo poo ton of developers. Amazon, Blizzard, and used to have Red 5 and Ready at Dawn until they stopped being AAA.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Sigma-X posted:

Orange County has a poo poo ton of developers. Amazon, Blizzard, and used to have Red 5 and Ready at Dawn until they stopped being AAA.

Orange County is LA to people who don't live in LA or Orange County :v:

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!

Joda posted:

It still kinda is, though it's definitely not as big as it used to be. In UK terms it pales in comparison to the likes of Guildford, Brighton, Manchester and a bunch of others.

Which is a shame, it's a really nice city and there's a wealth of talent there.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Smegbot posted:

Manchester

:toot:

Though funnily, I live in Manchester and travel to Sheffield (an hour train) every day :v:

I don't know of many in Manchester other than Traveller's Tales actually? I'd say Guildford is the biggest hotspot, even bigger if you count all of London (since it's close enough to work in London without the expenses).

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!
The big ones are TT (two of them), Foundry 42, Playdemic and Chillingo. Plus the BBC's in Manchester, who do a pile of game stuff.

In the surrounding area you've got Sumo in Sheffield and Evolution in Liverpool as well.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Smegbot posted:

The big ones are TT (two of them), Foundry 42, Playdemic and Chillingo. Plus the BBC's in Manchester, who do a pile of game stuff.

In the surrounding area you've got Sumo in Sheffield and Evolution in Liverpool as well.

Yeah I'm at Sumo, travelling isn't too bad.

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!
Aha, I'm at Foundry 42, just down the road.

I've got a friend at Sumo, Callum. You'll probably know him for the ridiculous hours he does and the sheer amount of rum he can drink.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Jewel posted:

Yeah I'm at Sumo, travelling isn't too bad.

Sumo are good people.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Shal did you actually move to Seattle now? If so should do a lunch sometime or knowing interests you've posted a weekend family hike. I'm moving into my new Bothell/Woodinville McMansion today. (3500 sq ft on 9700 flat lot)

San Mateo is a great place to live. I've lived there twice and Redwood City once. There is no way you will be sane if you commute to double fine and you SO is commuting to Stanford though. I spent 6 months doing San Mateo to Emeryville and it about broke me.

Finally mobile games are awesome if you are in the tech side. All the fun of MMOs without the 500 person teams.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

zolthorg posted:

Or Toronto :smith: come on goons come work for Ubisoft or Rockstar so that in a couple years when I'm ready to apply I have a good, solid internet posting pal reference

an cow
Mar 18, 2002

This post may lower your reputation

Sigma-X posted:

"I'll need to look into that for you. I'll let you know by EOD."

If you repeat that 50 times you get a certificate in associate production.

"Now we've set up this meeting to determine the answer to this question. Let's figure this out."
"I totally agree that's something we need to figure out, but it's beyond the scope of this meeting. Circling back to the original goal, let's focus on "answer". So far we've determined that it's not !answer. Would (please dear god) proposed_answer meet our needs?"
"Hello, I'd like to order 3 party platters for 6:30 tonight."

If you repeat that 50 times you get a certificate in production.

"Set up a meeting to determine the answer to the question. Tag me on it"
"Can we outsource that? We need to ship this milestone/production/patch by X date"
"Hello, I'd like to order a keg for 3:00pm tomorrow."

If you repeat that 50 times you get a certificate in executive production.

You forgot your required 2000 hours of "Just following up on this" and "We'll look into this for a later update"

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Vote Sweeper 2000 posted:

You forgot your required 2000 hours of "Just following up on this" and "We'll look into this for a later update"

Mate I'm just looking for certification, not an advanced pass.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Hughlander posted:

There is no way you will be sane if you commute to double fine and you SO is commuting to Stanford though.

Huh, in what way? From what I could tell, the caltrain commute from San Mateo to downtown SF looked reasonable. I mean, obviously it's worse than anything I'd currently get in Montreal, but I've come to accept that.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Smegbot posted:

Aha, I'm at Foundry 42, just down the road.

I've got a friend at Sumo, Callum. You'll probably know him for the ridiculous hours he does and the sheer amount of rum he can drink.

Ahah, he works upstairs, so I don't know them super personally yet, but they were the first person I met; we started on the same day!

Sion posted:

Sumo are good people.

Definitely recommend them if you don't really know what you want to do specifically! They have a ton of different stuff they're always working on and it seems you can pretty much work on any part of the process (engine, tooling, gameplay, networking, etc) if you can show you can do it.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Hughlander posted:

Shal did you actually move to Seattle now? If so should do a lunch sometime or knowing interests you've posted a weekend family hike. I'm moving into my new Bothell/Woodinville McMansion today. (3500 sq ft on 9700 flat lot)

San Mateo is a great place to live. I've lived there twice and Redwood City once. There is no way you will be sane if you commute to double fine and you SO is commuting to Stanford though. I spent 6 months doing San Mateo to Emeryville and it about broke me.

Finally mobile games are awesome if you are in the tech side. All the fun of MMOs without the 500 person teams.
Yep! I'm out here. I'm over in Port Orchard, though, so yeah, it'd probably make way more sense to do some kind of "hey lets meet up over here and go hiking or something" outing. Or same thing, opposite direction, hike Cascades, I guess? I can even pick you up at the Bremerton or Southworth ferry terminal, if you want to hop a bus over and then walk on. Hit me up on email (megan@glassbottomgames), Twitter (@glassbottommeg) or wherever, let's figure something out. Be aware I've dropped off back-country hiking for a few years, so I'll be out of shape and taking a lot of breaks.

Same invite for anyone else out here that walks to hang, btw. I'm not much for "go to internet friend's house BBQ and awkwardly avoid holding their babies", but "let's get together and do X" works great.

Speaking of, I don't suppose anyone else is part of LONIN? If so, you'll eventually see me there. We can swing heavy lengths of steel at eachother, it'll be fun.

Gearman posted:

Seattle/ Bellevue is probably the biggest game dev hub in the US.
Wow, that's kind of a crazy shift. It used to go Cali (NorCal and SoCal each counted as basically their own hub), then Austin, THEN Seattle. Weird that I guess I'm now in the biggest one. Go fig. Increasingly, I feel like west-side and east-side are their own micro-hubs (with Seattle proper barely counting since there's barely any AAA there), but I suppose if you lived in the heart of downtown or redmond/etc, it wouldn't be an issue to go across. Just, most people are living way N/S/E/W of there and commuting in somehow, so tacking more distance on is meh.

But we're comparing to California, I guess, so - no contest. Still better than that.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 2, 2016

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Can we have a moment to appreciate the majesty of the new surgeon simulator DLC?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnnREKQ8EtQ

an cow
Mar 18, 2002

This post may lower your reputation

Sion posted:

Mate I'm just looking for certification, not an advanced pass.

Can I perhaps interest you in my eight DVD series "This is Going to be Late and Here's Why That's Good (In Fact It Was Your Idea)"

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Can I perhaps interest you in my eight DVD series "This is Going to be Late and Here's Why That's Good (In Fact It Was Your Idea)"

That time when your publisher producer explicitly tells you to stop working on a feature, yells at you because one of your engineers merely sent an email to marketing *asking* about the feature out of curiosity, and that must mean he's been working on it, which he absolutely Must Not Do (tm) -- and then two days before soft launch "Uh, why isn't that feature in? We didn't tell you to stop working on it. "

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Holy poo poo this is like- 90% of what I've ever seen producers do. There is this one guy who is just the best producer because he laughs in the face of reality, spits in the eye of absurd demands and always sees the best silver lining.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Are there any companies in Guildford I'm missing? It's EA, Hello games, Supermassive games and Molyneauxs whatever the gently caress that is company right? Lionhead until recently as well I guess. I assume there are some indies I'm missing but that's about it. Just trying to get more info about places near me and that's harder than I thought, one website supposedly has every game dev place in the UK but then there are bunch I know about that aren't on there.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jan posted:

Huh, in what way? From what I could tell, the caltrain commute from San Mateo to downtown SF looked reasonable. I mean, obviously it's worse than anything I'd currently get in Montreal, but I've come to accept that.

My bad. I thought they were up in Marin still. Cowtrain is only annoying for how it doesn't quite line up with Bart. But you do get to walk by my SF offices each day.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
I'm surprised that there's still people dealing with San Fransisco but to be fair, Los Angeles is quickly catching up in terms of cost of living.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sion posted:

Holy poo poo this is like- 90% of what I've ever seen producers do. There is this one guy who is just the best producer because he laughs in the face of reality, spits in the eye of absurd demands and always sees the best silver lining.

Harnessing and managing cognitive dissonance is a necessary component of successful project management.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

Are there any companies in Guildford I'm missing? It's EA, Hello games, Supermassive games and Molyneauxs whatever the gently caress that is company right? Lionhead until recently as well I guess. I assume there are some indies I'm missing but that's about it. Just trying to get more info about places near me and that's harder than I thought, one website supposedly has every game dev place in the UK but then there are bunch I know about that aren't on there.

There's also Media Molecule, Fireproof and Wonderstruck(hello!), as well as Flaming Fowl who I assume are in or around Guildford somewhere. Lionhead's death will result in a couple more indies popping up in the area in the next few months, most likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazyrazor
Apr 10, 2006
Could out fury the president
I've been doing mockups and system design for webstuff. Now my boss wants me to do game system designs and prototyping for VR stuff.

I've been reading Jeremy Gibsons Intro to Game Design, Prototyping and something else oh yeah development.

How can I do this better? I feel massively under-qualified for a lot of this.