Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

OMG, when agile meets an entrenched DBA group, so painful.

"Ok, you want some columns added to a table. That's pretty simple. Let's have a meeting to discuss the purpose of the columns. Then we will add them to the logical data model once you provide descriptive names for each. Then the other DBAs will translate that to a physical data model and then they will provide the SQL and you can submit a request to get it implemented. You do have funding, of course?"

That process has been going on for almost a month now.

And this is blocking a ton of stories of course, that are only waiting on final column names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

smackfu posted:

"Ok, you want some columns added to a table. That's pretty simple. Let's have a meeting to discuss the purpose of the columns. Then we will add them to the logical data model once you provide descriptive names for each. Then the other DBAs will translate that to a physical data model and then they will provide the SQL and you can submit a request to get it implemented. You do have funding, of course?"

And this is blocking a ton of stories of course, that are only waiting on final column names.

I viscerally know that pain :smith:

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
We have a little agile training game thing. One of the events during the game is that a card gets blocked waiting for the DBA. I think it's the golden example.

I honestly don't know what a full time DBA does.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Gounads posted:

Aggressively preventing people from ever changing the database schema or executing queries against the database.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I've worked at some pretty decent sized companies and only ever dealt with a DBA at one of the smaller ones. The dude had no clue what he was doing and wasn't even as good with SQL as the developers.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

On the other end of the spectrum, I've seen some pretty terrifying things that resulted from developers using ORMs to indirectly define or modify schemas without someone around to nanny them.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Steve French posted:

On the other end of the spectrum, I've seen some pretty terrifying things that resulted from developers using ORMs to indirectly define or modify schemas without someone around to nanny them.
This is why not doing code review makes baby Jesus cry.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Khisanth Magus posted:

Basically gently caress the people who took in documented the requirements for this.

Aren't regular checkins with the client a part of agile?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Vulture Culture posted:

I once had a guy under me that was instructed to add the current time (with seconds) to a call center display screen. So he wrote a function that made an AJAX call to the server every second to find out the current time.

I didn't chew him out but I did mock him mercilessly and make him go back and redo it.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Gounads posted:

Maintain the gordian knot of undocumented ETLs that keep the reports reporting and disparate databases in sync. They require constant 'maintenance' because they're constantly confronted with data they didn't expect because the whole thing lacks any definition outside of the ETL code.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

rt4 posted:

Aren't regular checkins with the client a part of agile?

Actually doing agile would be pretty awesome! It is a bit of a fight I'm currently having with the Project Management group here.

One thing I will say that is good about this place is good DBAs. They are competent, know their stuff pretty well, and are very responsive when we need things.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

You're making an assumption that there was no code review, rather than several people being oblivious to the underlying implications of their ORM usage.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Steve French posted:

You're making an assumption that there was no code review, rather than several people being oblivious to the underlying implications of their ORM usage.
I was responding specifically to the "without someone around to nanny them" part, which is something to which code review is exceptionally well-suited. But if your entire development team has no idea what they're doing, you need to do something else I guess?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Code review among programmers is not all that different from meetings, and we all know what happens in meetings:

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

necrobobsledder posted:

Code review among programmers is not all that different from meetings, and we all know what happens in meetings:

Code review at my place has almost no common characteristic with meetings. There's no group discussing things, its one senior developer (which ever one got assigned to that changeset*) handing down judgment on a changeset. Whats it like everywhere else?

*Sorry for the TFS centric vocab

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Dirty Frank posted:

Code review at my place has almost no common characteristic with meetings. There's no group discussing things, its one senior developer (which ever one got assigned to that changeset*) handing down judgment on a changeset. Whats it like everywhere else?

We assign code reviews to the people most familiar with the components being touched so they can tell the authors if they're doing anything really dumb. Senior/junior/whatever really doesn't factor in.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I assign code reviews to whomever has responded to previous code reviews the least often. It has not been entirely successful.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Dirty Frank posted:

I worked at one place with infrequent "code review" meetings where someone presented a feature they worked on long after it would have been possible to implement any meaningful changes as a result of the code review. It was dumb.

I worked at another place where we did code review on every commit. It didn't matter who on the team did the review, as long as the review was done. This resulted in people buddying up to let awful poo poo slide, so we changed it that one person was the code reviewer each sprint.

FWIW the "code review" experience in TFVC is awful and Microsoft is well aware of it being awful. They are working on fixing it.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

I was responding specifically to the "without someone around to nanny them" part, which is something to which code review is exceptionally well-suited. But if your entire development team has no idea what they're doing, you need to do something else I guess?

Yeah, code review is the solution, but the who is an important part. I was just highlighting the opposite extreme from having a DBA micromanaging everything: where there is nobody taking ownership over such things and you just have one web dev reviewing another web dev's changes. Where I'm at now we ensure that any change that touches database schemas is reviewed and approved by the folks that maintain said databases. It's not some onerous approval process, just making sure that people with expertise and responsibility in a particular area are consulted.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
Our code review process is anyone/everyone is encouraged to check out and comment on a pull request and it doesn't get merged until at least 2 people sign off on it.

Some approvals are worth more than others, of course, but it tends to work pretty well.

If your code reviews are at all like meetings, you're doing something terribly wrong.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

metztli posted:

If your code reviews are at all like meetings, you're doing something terribly wrong.

Seriously. Code reviews should be asynchronous, with a direct chat if something cannot be easily agreed upon. Code reviews should happen through a tool dedicated to it if at possible. If you're having Code Review Meetings then something is hosed up.

Of course, nothing can solve incompetent coworkers.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Also, junior developers code-reviewing senior developers is a good thing. They'll learn, especially if they ask questions.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Code review meetings are a really good idea once in a while, especially when you're introducing something new or particularly complex. They shouldn't be the norm, though.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

good jovi posted:

Code review meetings are a really good idea once in a while, especially when you're introducing something new or particularly complex. They shouldn't be the norm, though.

That's what design documents are for. You should design the thing ahead of time, instead of doing it and saying "ok this is how it's going to work, hope no one is confused or disappointed."

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Volmarias posted:

That's what design documents are for. You should design the thing ahead of time, instead of doing it and saying "ok this is how it's going to work, hope no one is confused or disappointed."

I've also been experimenting with holding a design sign-off with marketing to assure it's correct.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Volmarias posted:

I don't know if you've just been really lucky, but if all the clients I've dealt with actually knew what they wanted ahead of time and didn't change their mind repeatedly, my life as a developer would be much, much easier. There's also the issue that, if your client isn't familiar with development in general (or is a stubborn idiot who doesn't learn), they will become frustrated at all the time you spend trying to coax the necessary details out of them to write a design document, instead of actually doing anything :v:

PT6A fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 3, 2016

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
The correct solution is to charge them for each change they request with changes getting more and more expensive towards the day of a deliverable / end of a sprint. It's worked alright for IBM... for maybe 10 years-ish. However, this is almost never how consulting can bill I've found because people that hire consultants want people that will just do whatever the people with money say to do instead of talking about such nonsense like "product quality and stability" or avoiding "death marches."

metztli posted:

I was mostly referring to the fact that meetings are n people going resolving a common set of issues and that the quality / effectiveness of them are highly dependent upon who's present / participating, which makes this much more of a socially-based set of problems than mostly a technical one like we typically have as engineers. If you're in an environment with relatively few people and a codebase that can be reviewed with a few people at a time, that's pretty cool but Bad Code Reviews are every bit as common as Bad Meetings in my experience (typically because they go hand in hand with Bad Places To Work which is with little contention, I believe, the majority of places in the United States).

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

we do whole team code review. so if a feature spans three teams (data, services and api, let's say) all members of all three teams will be tagged on the code review. generally it's obvious whose approval you need but the ultimate arbiter is the team lead of the team that owns the component in question. no one is expected to review every pr tho. i skip tons that aren't relevant to me

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Volmarias posted:

If it's that complicated, just put the design doc through code review like everything else

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Gounads posted:

I've also been experimenting with holding a design sign-off with marketing to assure it's correct.

Don't bother, the answer is always no, no matter what they say or sign.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

smackfu posted:

I hear you.

It's an organisatorial problem, though. The DBAs in such case have completely different goals and frankly don't give a gently caress about the work the developers are trying to accomplish.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Let's put it this way, if there is any job title ending with "Administration" in your company, you are in a bureaucratic culture and your ability to succeed and deliver in technical matters will have a lot more to do with how well you can plan around and accommodate bureaucratic processes and politics that you have little control over than whether you know how to write a random data structure off the top of your head.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Speaking of code-reviews, just did my last one for one guy.

The feature went something like this: "When you're on Page X, make this icon bold". There was already a constant defined to tell what page you were on. The icon already existed on the page, it was font-awesome, so you just had to apply bold if a variable was set. Literally add this to the tag and you're done: ng-class="{::bold: ctrl.page=='mypage'}"

What I got instead.. was.. well... wow

There were 3 method calls involved two of which set side-effects on the controller to get several brand new flags set. Those 2 methods were called from other tags in the template, so the order of execution would have mattered, but luckily like I mentioned, it was a constant that never changed so the first time through always set it correct.

This was our second code review on this feature. The first time I told him exactly what he had to do. This probably represents a full week of work.

After going through it, I calmly told the CEO he wasn't working out (he's been on probation). Deleted the pull request. Deleted the branch it was for.

He's a remote overseas developer who started 3 weeks ago. The interview went fine. I seriously think they stuck some other dude on the other end of the phone.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Remember when the huge talent pool of overseas developers was going to put first-world developers out of work with their super intelligence and willingness to work for next to nothing?

That was pretty funny.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

PT6A posted:

Remember when the huge talent pool of overseas developers was going to put first-world developers out of work with their super intelligence and willingness to work for next to nothing?

That was pretty funny.

Some oversees developers are pretty good at their work though. We have one who was a contractor who used to work in our office until the US wouldn't renew his work visa, so he had to go back to India. He is still working for us there. He is drat good at his job, and we all dread when his contracts ends. Which was going to be at the end of this month, but we got it extended for another couple months.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
One trend I see is that a lot of the top overseas talent quickly leave their countries to come to the US if they're younger, and then they start to displace US workers that are, gosh, not as good as them. Secondly, because nobody does off-shoring without being super price conscious wages are suppressed like they are in the US with small-time recruiting companies that have clientbases most decent developers avoid like the plague. I have some decent experiences with oversea developers in multiple continents but I've never been able to say that my best coworkers have been overseas.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Overseas coders who are actually good can ask for rates that are comparable to US developers, so price-concious companies hire people who are not them.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, we have definitely lost good overseas programmers because we wouldn't pay them enough.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Oh yeah, we definitely have to compete with developers worldwide, since location really doesn't make a big difference in a lot of cases (also an advantage for me because I can take month-long trips to wherever I like, and provided there's a broadband connection, no one gives half a gently caress). Still, the good developers overseas are roughly as rare as the good developers onshore, and they can justifiably demand similar compensation. The panic was about all these low-paid workers taking our jobs away and such.

These companies wouldn't have hired you in the first place anyway, but now that they have an abortion of an application that they overpaid for even at low rates, they'll hire you at full price to unfuck it for them! If anything, these cut-rate operations (and the $1 website operations) are a boon to my business. People get stuck up poo poo creek without a paddle and they're way more willing to pay for the rescue than they were to pay for it to be done properly in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm working on a project for the marketing division at work in an internal contractor-like setup. Meaning, I have demos and requirements meetings with my contact in marketing, and I work on the application on my own (work) time. I've learned that I am completely miserable at managing a project on my own, both for requirements and for time :( The project is not at the level of completeness I had hoped for by the next demo (tomorrow), there's no wiki or project page or anything, and I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm worried for the long term health of this project, even with it being relatively small.

Is this just due to inexperience/me being an rear end in a top hat, or is there some particular way I should be approaching a project like this? Is this what I would use some form of agile project management methodology for?