Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005

gonadic io posted:

New plan: Quill Rain Blast Rain CoC with Bladefall + EK + Poison.

Keep corrupting cheap quill rains until I get +1 power charges, then Assassin can cap crit with about 50% on gear.

The main problem is that EK and Bladefall benefit from completely different nodes and jewels (that double-dip i.e. projectile or area damage). EK is better single target and Bladefall for trash clearing I take it?

That sounds about right yes, double-dipping poison is completely busted. Get temporal chains to extend it more while gaining large amounts of survivability!

e: MannersPlease is right, the spell totem gem's less damage modifier will need to be combined with the conc effect so it's 60% * 0.69 * 1.6 = 66% of the hit, which with duration comes to 96%. Still way higher than any other gem, and also shows how busted mines/traps are for single target.

Yeah, forgot about double dipping the less modifier. Probably just use shockwave totem instead, no less modifier and an extra gem.

Am I correct in assuming ignite works the same way? Like if I do Scion with Hierophant/Chieftain and use shockwave/conc/poison/added fire, will that result in doing 60% of the physical damage as fire damage, and then if an ignite procs from either a crit or the Chieftain ability, that ignite will do .6 * .8 * 2.9 * 1.6 * 1.45 = 3.23 times the total physical damage done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

gonadic io posted:

Keep corrupting cheap quill rains until I get +1 power charges, then Assassin can cap crit with about 50% on gear.

The main problem is that EK and Bladefall benefit from completely different nodes and jewels (that double-dip i.e. projectile or area damage). EK is better single target and Bladefall for trash clearing I take it?

That sounds about right yes, double-dipping poison is completely busted. Get temporal chains to extend it more while gaining large amounts of survivability!

e: MannersPlease is right, the spell totem gem's less damage modifier will need to be combined with the conc effect so it's 60% * 0.69 * 1.6 = 66% of the hit, which with duration comes to 96%. Still way higher than any other gem, and also shows how busted mines/traps are for single target.

Quill CoC falls apart in yellow maps unless you find some way to stack huge amounts of accuracy. Like 3k minimum with poacher's mark.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

J posted:

I'm seeing a lot of people raving about how good slayer earthquake is going to be but haven't really seen many builds posted for it. I slapped together this poo poo in a hurry, but I've only briefly tried earthquake in general. Do I go hatred with herald of ash? Or do I do blasphemy something? How about brutal fervour versus impact? I don't really know how to evaluate any of these leech nodes in general. Also despite a 50% physical reflect reduction I'm still concerned about reflect, especially going the hatred/hoa route.

This should be a bit more efficient but it's the same basic cookie cutter earthquake/cyclone pathing. You won't do nearly enough elemental damage for ele reflect to be a problem.

Blasphemy + Warlord's, Poacher's and Enfeeble are all decent options instead of HoA. I'll probably get Impact, Bane of Legends, Headsman and pick up Overwhelm for easy endurance charge generation with Leap Slam/Inc AoE/Faster Attacks/Endurance Charge on Stun.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 2, 2016

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

dis astranagant posted:

Quill CoC falls apart in yellow maps unless you find some way to stack huge amounts of accuracy. Like 3k minimum with poacher's mark.

Is that for just hitting, or both hitting and crit confirmation?

Blast Rain can't miss, but I've yet to see conclusive information either way on the hit roll on a critical strike.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

gonadic io posted:

Is that for just hitting, or both hitting and crit confirmation?

Blast Rain can't miss, but I've yet to see conclusive information either way on the hit roll on a critical strike.

Crit confirmation. I guess you might be fine with blast rain since you'd only be making one to hit roll but it feels kinda lovely to actually use since you don't get the full abuse out of King of the Hill to keep mobs off you. You might actually attack too fast with quill, since blast rain has a fixed delay between hits

e: just ran a Necropolis with blast rain instead of barrage and I think you're gonna be alright. Haven't killed a boss that fast in ages.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jun 2, 2016

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

dis astranagant posted:

new plan: juggernaut Quillrain CoC but without a Immortal Call or Discharge proc...

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Real Foogla posted:

new plan: juggernaut Quillrain CoC but without a Immortal Call or Discharge proc...

Just tested and Blast Rain proved me wrong. CoC all you want with that instead of barrage. I couldn't do bosses or beyond in yellow maps before, just wrecked Necropolis Merveil, beyond Gorge and some twinned boss in a Zana mission.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jun 2, 2016

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Think I'm going to start with a sunder/EQ jugg until I clear cruel lab and swap to discharge.

Today I'm going to try and clean up my standard stash and delete a bunch of random 70-80s.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I'm going to try wand cast on crit sometime this league. Two void batteries and assassin.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

dis astranagant posted:

Just tested and Blast Rain proved me wrong. CoC all you want with that instead of barrage. I couldn't do bosses or beyond in yellow maps before, just wrecked Necropolis Merveil, beyond Gorge and some twinned boss in a Zana mission.

Blast Rain even hits multiple times against a lone monster, something which I don't think any of the other common CoC bow skills do.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

gonadic io posted:

Blast Rain even hits multiple times against a lone monster, something which I don't think any of the other common CoC bow skills do.

Barrage at close range hits lots of times on a lone monster. I killed Ephij and Na'em in an Arsenal just now where before I had trouble killing the Kraityn at the end of Gorges. I changed nothing but swapping out the barrage for Blast Rain.

Could get cute and run blade vortex instead of EK. Stacks up nicely with your bladefall nodes and might give you some extra boss killing power idk.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 2, 2016

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
Hey guys, this looks like an amazing change of pace from Diablo 3 so I'm looking to make my first character. Goddamn that skill tree is insane.

What's the meteorb sorc of this game? I just want an easy first character I can farm gear with.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Vasudus posted:

Think I'm going to start with a sunder/EQ jugg until I clear cruel lab and swap to discharge.

Today I'm going to try and clean up my standard stash and delete a bunch of random 70-80s.

Some random crit caster for me until cruel lab, probably self-casting bladefall or maybe even putting it in a trap.

dis astranagant posted:

Barrage at close range hits lots of times on a lone monster [...]

Could get cute and run blade vortex instead of EK. Stacks up nicely with your bladefall nodes and might give you some extra boss killing power idk.

I didn't know that about barrage.

And I thought about BV, but the range is so short would it really often hit? How close do monsters and/or bosses really get to you? How often do you stand next to bosses? It would be a really powerful synergy though, potentially with concentrated effect, and the increased duration nodes that really help poison too.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

gonadic io posted:

Some random crit caster for me until cruel lab, probably self-casting bladefall or maybe even putting it in a trap.

I didn't know that about barrage.

And I thought about BV, but the range is so short would it really often hit? How close do monsters and/or bosses really get to you? How often do you stand next to bosses? It would be a really powerful synergy though, potentially with concentrated effect, and the increased duration nodes that really help poison too.

Well, my barrage habits mean I stand next to bosses (preferably with the boss backed to a wall) all the drat time. And you're gonna be next to dudes quite a bit in indoor maps. You don't get that immediate :fuckoff: effect out of blast rain that you do barraging into a pack and watching them fly backwards, though.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Planning my first ES based character - how much ES should I be looking for on the different armor pieces?

e.g. 800+ on chestpiece is top end, but what's considered "good enoughish" for all the slots?

J
Jun 10, 2001

Arzachel posted:

This should be a bit more efficient but it's the same basic cookie cutter earthquake/cyclone pathing. You won't do nearly enough elemental damage for ele reflect to be a problem.

Blasphemy + Warlord's, Poacher's and Enfeeble are all decent options instead of HoA. I'll probably get Impact, Bane of Legends, Headsman and pick up Overwhelm for easy endurance charge generation with Leap Slam/Inc AoE/Faster Attacks/Endurance Charge on Stun.

You're right, that pathing is better. 1 less point spent and more life than how I had it setup, nice.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

burningbridges posted:

Hey guys, this looks like an amazing change of pace from Diablo 3 so I'm looking to make my first character. Goddamn that skill tree is insane.

What's the meteorb sorc of this game? I just want an easy first character I can farm gear with.

Welcome to poe. See about getting in the goon guild if you haven't already. There is a new 3 month league starting in 31 hours or so, lots of goons will be on then to enjoy it. As far as meteorb, I haven't played d3 in a long time, so I might not be remembering correctly, but two skills are probably similar, Flameblast and Firestorm. You can check out the poe forums for build guides.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

funmanguy posted:

Welcome to poe. See about getting in the goon guild if you haven't already. There is a new 3 month league starting in 31 hours or so, lots of goons will be on then to enjoy it. As far as meteorb, I haven't played d3 in a long time, so I might not be remembering correctly, but two skills are probably similar, Flameblast and Firestorm. You can check out the poe forums for build guides.

I believe the question is not so much "What skills play like meteorb" but rather "What's the easy face-mashing build that everyone defaults to because it's easy".

Which is probably some sort of tornado-shot ranger build - but the bow attacks are generally pretty interchangeable, so try them all out.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

burningbridges posted:

It depends on what playstyle you like most really. A marauder using earthquake is a very tanks melee character, while a trap throwing shadow or witch is a lot safer as they can stand well back.

Your first character will never be farming end game bosses so don't worry about what's the current flavour of the month.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Devor posted:

I believe the question is not so much "What skills play like meteorb" but rather "What's the easy face-mashing build that everyone defaults to because it's easy".

Which is probably some sort of tornado-shot ranger build - but the bow attacks are generally pretty interchangeable, so try them all out.

Nah, tshot is a bit too gear reliant for early in the league. Elementalist flameblast can carry you through most of the game without anything expensive.

Or any of the builds ^ that guy listed.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

dis astranagant posted:

Well, I was planning on running the CoC Barrage with Quill Rain, but you've piqued my interest something fierce here. Gonna give it a go on a character later this league.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
What do y'all think would be a good start of league MF/ghost busting build for 2.3? Leaning bow, but open to whatever.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

burningbridges posted:

Easy first character that is item independent probably means a life based character using spells, traps or totems.

In the 2 week race I played a Scion -> Deadeye/Berserker using Etheral Knives, scaling the damge up with crit, Hatred and Herald of Ashes, tanking with Life, a random Shield and Vaal Pact.

You could also do the same as a Ranger->Deadeye (mule the EK), since Scion got nerfed. The tree should be so similar to a bow user that you could easily switch if you find a good bow.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm sad that they nerfed chaos conversion now because I had an idea for crit EK with hatred/added fire and some sick nasty poison stacking. Oh well.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I just had a really dumb idea

CoC discharge jugg using Vigilant Strike, be a champion as well

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 2, 2016

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

burningbridges posted:

Welcome! PoE owns.

A key difference from D2 is that no monsters are completely immune to damage types (at least that I'm aware), which was the main reason 2 different elements were required in D2. Most builds focus on a single main damage skill.

My very first char ~6 months ago was an Arc Witch (check out Whatiri's guide on the forums). It's not the best late-game build, but it's simple, and can carry you pretty far.

Elementalist Flameblast might be a good one as well- it's pretty similar to meteor.

2nding funman's comment of joining the guild. We can answer some of your questions, or call you a dumbass and tell you to look up stuff yourself. Either way it will be fun for someone!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
oh yeah, joining the guild will also mean a steady stream of weapons that are good enough to carry any skill build to yellow maps, and once you're there good weapons/currency for them should be dropping for yourself (you just have to maybe wait a bit for esoterics like good melee maces or claws)

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Vasudus posted:

I'm sad that they nerfed chaos conversion now because I had an idea for crit EK with hatred/added fire and some sick nasty poison stacking. Oh well.

I really want to try this out with EK + Pierce + Spell Echo + Proj damage + Proj speed or Controlled Destruction. Getting ~2.2x unreflectable multiplier off a single link is bonkers and that's without purposefully stacking passives for it.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 2, 2016

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008
I'm torn between elementalist flameblast and poison bladefall trapper for a first char.

Anyone played both and have a strong opinion on which would be better for a first league character?

The cooldown on traps seems like it could be annoying for mapping, but being immune to reflect seems pretty sweet too...

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

gonadic io posted:

Take a look at this build. It's up your alley and uses Lions eye glare so you don't have to worry about accuracy. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1622354/page/1

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

ImsaKidd posted:

I'm torn between elementalist flameblast and poison bladefall trapper for a first char.

Anyone played both and have a strong opinion on which would be better for a first league character?

The cooldown on traps seems like it could be annoying for mapping, but being immune to reflect seems pretty sweet too...
I've done both and they're both crazy strong and pretty gear independent, you can honestly run either one. Honestly I've barely ever found the trap cooldown to be an issue on a bladefall trapper, poo poo just dies too fast.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Holyshoot posted:

Take a look at this build. It's up your alley and uses Lions eye glare so you don't have to worry about accuracy. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1622354/page/1

Ooh, I very much like glacial cascade over blade vortex for this ranged character. The potential damage is lower but it's not like a concentrated effect BV would be hitting anything anyway...

I'll have to test quill rain vs lioneye's, as the tree will be the same for both.

E: since blast rain can't miss, will the "hits can't be evaded" mod really do anything?

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 2, 2016

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Given that you have to kill Atziri a hundred goddamn times for one challenge, a bladefall trapper makes that hilariously easy. Depending on how annoying she is with a discharge jugg I might make one just for that.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Given that you have to kill Atziri a hundred goddamn times for one challenge, a bladefall trapper makes that hilariously easy. Depending on how annoying she is with a discharge jugg I might make one just for that.

That challenge only seems worthwhile if you're going for 40/40, AND you have to also do 20 Ambrius or 40 endgame Izaro or 1200 Voll.

Doesn't seem worth it for an epeen number and an extra totem pole...

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

ImsaKidd posted:

That challenge only seems worthwhile if you're going for 40/40, AND you have to also do 20 Ambrius or 40 endgame Izaro or 1200 Voll.

Doesn't seem worth it for an epeen number and an extra totem pole...

It is one of those challenges where if you play a lot of endgame maps, you can do half of it just by playing normally. Killing Atziri 100 times is where the grind is.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

ImsaKidd posted:

I haven't done flameblast, but the cooldown doesn't matter much while mapping because most stuff dies to one use of the skill.

Throw out 4 traps, they all go off, entire screen dies. Rare left behind? Drop a Bear Trap on him instead and poof.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
elementalist flameblast this league is probably going to be one of the strongest ever iterations of a flameblast build, which is actually saying A LOT. expect to see a lot of those running around

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

gonadic io posted:

Ooh, I very much like glacial cascade over blade vortex for this ranged character. The potential damage is lower but it's not like a concentrated effect BV would be hitting anything anyway...

I'll have to test quill rain vs lioneye's, as the tree will be the same for both.

E: since blast rain can't miss, will the "hits can't be evaded" mod really do anything?

Blast rain can miss because it's not a spell but an attack.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Holyshoot posted:

Blast rain can miss because it's not a spell but an attack.

As far as I know the explosions from blast rain are considered secondary damage and thus can't miss.

I've read a few times online of people verifying this, but should be easy enough to test myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

gonadic io posted:

As far as I know the explosions from blast rain are considered secondary damage and thus can't miss.

I've read a few times online of people verifying this, but should be easy enough to test myself.

Possibly but I'd rather have all attacks hit.

• Locked thread