Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

sector_corrector posted:

Have there been any first impressions posted of the Dark Souls game? The node-based movement, and the stam resource system are both very intriguing, but the dice based combat has me a little nervous.

No impressions, but tons of red flags from the designers that scream "stay far away"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bottom Liner posted:

No impressions, but tons of red flags from the designers that scream "stay far away"

That's a shame. DS is great intellectual property to base a game on. What have the red flags been so far?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

sector_corrector posted:

That's a shame. DS is great intellectual property to base a game on. What have the red flags been so far?

I don't have the exact quote, but in an AMA, a designer said they incorporated dice mechanics because that's what they had used in other games. Full stop.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

SirFelixCat posted:

Car wreck while returning from dinner via Uber cab. More details in our HeavyCon recap next episode.

Yes, "accident".

Like we don't know your plans for killing off every excellent game designer you get the chance to meet.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

Have there been any first impressions posted of the Dark Souls game? The node-based movement, and the stam resource system are both very intriguing, but the dice based combat has me a little nervous.

Bringing fat-rolling to real life

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Finally got some some people to jump in and start the Pandemic Legacy game I've had sitting around for a month. We just made it through April tonight.

I wasn't sure what to expect, but it wasn't that. There's still 2/3 of the year to go, I can't imagine how hosed things are going to get.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Has anyone got any experience with Tail Feathers?

Its appeared in the FLGS and I'm curious.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Bringing fat-rolling to real life

No joke, I think a Dark Souls game could work well as a deck builder to simulate a mammoth deck filled with armor and stockpiled nameless soldiers and gently caress WHERE IS MY ONE DODGE ROLL IN THIS 50 CARD DECK!!

But then I realize that is actually Mage Knight's entire mechanism. Everything goes back to Mage Knight.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

al-azad posted:

No joke, I think a Dark Souls game could work well as a deck builder to simulate a mammoth deck filled with armor and stockpiled nameless soldiers and gently caress WHERE IS MY ONE DODGE ROLL IN THIS 50 CARD DECK!!

But then I realize that is actually Mage Knight's entire mechanism. Everything goes back to Mage Knight.

I think Dark Souls already has its game but it's Myth. All the way down to learning how to play

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Dice-rolling aside, the playthrough of a boss battle in the Dark Souls boardgame (here) looked incredibly fiddly and needlessly complex. There are some neat ideas in there but buried under layers of pointless stuff - and the thought of having a character immediately taken out of a climactic battle in a single strike might make for good DARK SOLES but makes for a lovely co-op game.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Stelas posted:

Dice-rolling aside, the playthrough of a boss battle in the Dark Souls boardgame (here) looked incredibly fiddly and needlessly complex. There are some neat ideas in there but buried under layers of pointless stuff - and the thought of having a character immediately taken out of a climactic battle in a single strike might make for good DARK SOLES but makes for a lovely co-op game.

Well to be fair the character that died instantly basically spent half his combined health/stamina pool on spamming attacks right out of the gate. I feel like that was just there to illustrate that particular system.

A couple of my friends picked it up for the miniatures, so I hope it at least turns out playable.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ojetor posted:

Well to be fair the character that died instantly basically spent half his combined health/stamina pool on spamming attacks right out of the gate. I feel like that was just there to illustrate that particular system.

Sure, but that's only intuitive because we know the source material and know that it's thematic. Taken in a vacuum, or from the perspective of a new player who might not know the score, at worst it's really lovely and at best it's pretty much the complete opposite of failing forward.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Going for an all out attack and leaving your defenses open, thereby taking more damage in the fight. Sounds fairly intuitive to me.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

As someone with zero knowledge about Dark Souls, that seemed like a lame dice fest in a tiny room. There was a ton of stuff that just seemed.... really lame? I wouldn't play that game of my own accord, and I would stay far away from it if I wanted to play a dungeon crawler. Nothing says fun like spending all of your stamina (from the left? from the right? who knows?) to knock off about two points from a boss' 26 points of health or whatever. If the players took their time with the boss, playing tactically, I can see a single boss fight taking over an hour. And it's not an exciting fight to participate in. Half the die rolls are blank faces.

Roll to hit should have stayed in the eighties, where it belongs.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tonight's game night report: KILL DOCTOR LUCKY IS loving AWFUL

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

SynthOrange posted:

It takes FOREVER.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I had fun being a dick messing with turn order :downs:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also the game night was at a japanese restaurant and the player next to me ordered... two bowls of plain white rice. Which he ate using chopsticks to push into his free hand and eat from there, getting rice grains everywhere while playing on his ipad while waiting for his turn. I forfeited and ran.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

SynthOrange posted:

Also the game night was at a japanese restaurant and the player next to me ordered... two bowls of plain white rice. Which he ate using chopsticks to push into his free hand and eat from there, getting rice grains everywhere while playing on his ipad while waiting for his turn. I forfeited and ran.

You must be exaggerating.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I wish. Thankfully there was another table at the meet up starting up Dominion so the night wasnt a loss.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Yesterday I played some Deception in Hong Kong on Tabletop Simulator, ID played in real life before so I knew the rules.

The Forensic Investigator selected Accident as the cause of Death and Stairs as the location. There were the other clues but they don't usually help much, and not at all in this case.

While we're still guessing, the FI had to leave so handed the role to someone who was just an Investigator. The new FI sat quiet for a bit and then interrupted us to say the puzzle was pretty much unsolvable. We agreed to reveal and the answers were Weapon = Stiletto and Clue = Circuit Board. Apparently the old FI had told him 'here's my story, it's a woman getting ready to go out, so she has her shoes on, but she trips down a flight of stairs and dies. And she's holding a circuit board.'.

I didn't think you'd ever have to add this as a rule but it seems if ever you play this game, you have to actively tell people to give clues that link to the two cards the murderer has, and not just make up a story that contradicts one card and completely ignores the other. He was so wrapped up in telling a story, he forgot to play the game.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Fat Turkey posted:

Yesterday I played some Deception in Hong Kong on Tabletop Simulator, ID played in real life before so I knew the rules.

The Forensic Investigator selected Accident as the cause of Death and Stairs as the location. There were the other clues but they don't usually help much, and not at all in this case.

While we're still guessing, the FI had to leave so handed the role to someone who was just an Investigator. The new FI sat quiet for a bit and then interrupted us to say the puzzle was pretty much unsolvable. We agreed to reveal and the answers were Weapon = Stiletto and Clue = Circuit Board. Apparently the old FI had told him 'here's my story, it's a woman getting ready to go out, so she has her shoes on, but she trips down a flight of stairs and dies. And she's holding a circuit board.'.

I didn't think you'd ever have to add this as a rule but it seems if ever you play this game, you have to actively tell people to give clues that link to the two cards the murderer has, and not just make up a story that contradicts one card and completely ignores the other. He was so wrapped up in telling a story, he forgot to play the game.

I'm assuming the card was a Stiletto as in a knife right? :wtc:

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Back when I played tabletop RPGs, I was very enamoured of the old-school D&D dungeoncrawling model of play. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend board games that replicate that kind of feeling? Something with:
- Risk/reward decisions about whether to go deeper into the dungeon or retreat with the loot you've already acquired
- Inventory management where players have to make decisions about what items to carry (e.g. a sword vs. a one-use potion vs. more treasure)
- XP or VP awarded for acquiring treasure, not killing monsters. I always liked the gold pieces = XP rule because it felt like you would be rewarded for playing strategically rather than just grinding through enemy encounters.

Wouldn't necessarily have to be a dungeon-themed game, as long as it had some or all of those features.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I forget what the picture was of, it could well be of the shoe. I don't hate the shoe -> accident thing, it is one of those things that could fit into another category possibly, but I'd assume it to be a stabby injury like the knife, so pick one like a knife!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sailor Viy posted:

Back when I played tabletop RPGs, I was very enamoured of the old-school D&D dungeoncrawling model of play. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend board games that replicate that kind of feeling? Something with:
- Risk/reward decisions about whether to go deeper into the dungeon or retreat with the loot you've already acquired
- Inventory management where players have to make decisions about what items to carry (e.g. a sword vs. a one-use potion vs. more treasure)
- XP or VP awarded for acquiring treasure, not killing monsters. I always liked the gold pieces = XP rule because it felt like you would be rewarded for playing strategically rather than just grinding through enemy encounters.

Wouldn't necessarily have to be a dungeon-themed game, as long as it had some or all of those features.

Have you heard of the wonders of Mage Knight boardgame? It's not exactly a dungeon (though it has them! and the overmap is basically a dungeon) but it has risk v reward, inventory (card) management, and VP for treasure cards (you get it for killing monsters too). Its basically a D&D campaign that has been turned into a puzzle.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The best part about Mage knight is that the D&D theme is appropriate: it drops all pretenses of your characters being good guys. It correctly describes them all as sociopathic murderhobos.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Fat Turkey posted:

Deception: Murder in Hong Kong

I've experienced this with three different groups. I had to stop and explain to the other players, pretty much exactly as you describe, that you can't make up a story in your head and try to point the investigators to some imaginary scenario. It's kind of bizarre how far the forensic player can wander.

Good game though.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I blame crappy games like Gloom and their lazy "it's a storytelling game" excuse for dull mechanics. More and more normies are subscribing to the notion that mechanics don't matter and that it's all about what the players bring to the table with their ~imaginations~.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Scyther posted:

I blame crappy games like Gloom and their lazy "it's a storytelling game" excuse for dull mechanics. More and more normies are subscribing to the notion that mechanics don't matter and that it's all about what the players bring to the table with their ~imaginations~.

Yeah, x-wing has got me into FB again, and it's depressing how many of my friends are crying the wonders of CAH and Kingdom Death and Munchkin and arg I'm an elitist game snob aren't I?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I hate Munchkin and Fluxx so much. They're lovely and capricious and stupid like talisman, except baseline participation takes way more attention.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, x-wing has got me into FB again, and it's depressing how many of my friends are crying the wonders of CAH and Kingdom Death and Munchkin and arg I'm an elitist game snob aren't I?

No, you just don't enjoy rape or hearing the same jokes 100 times. Or in the case of Cards Against Humanity, both.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
I will be playing a 6 person game of 7 Wonders on Sunday, and I loving hate teaching 7 Wonders, and it is always a damned pain to pass the rule book around so people can check what the icons are. There are a number of cheat sheets on BGG, does anyone had a recommendation for which ones are the most useful?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Scyther posted:

There's room for both. It's not like Gloom has kept heavier games from coming out and it doesn't advertise itself as a real game either.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I'm just blaming that style of game for empowering idiot normies to think every game is a storytelling role playing game where their fuckshit antics are par for the course.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

SynthOrange posted:

Play Get Lucky instead. It's an elegant little filler that can't really take more than a half hour at the worst. It mimics the good parts of KDL without the interminable length or "oh poo poo we didn't move Dr. Lucky" bookkeeping. Just played it again yesterday with two and was reminded how much I enjoy it.

Also, unrelated, but I recently played Small World for the first time in ages. That game is a nice balance of absolutely dead simple and still affording interesting choices. With three, the downtime isn't so bad.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Scyther posted:

I'm just blaming that style of game for empowering idiot normies to think every game is a storytelling role playing game where their fuckshit antics are par for the course.

Oh, well shift your blame to Once Upon A Time. That game did it 23 years ago.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Normies!!!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I finally played Cosmic Encounter for the first time. Surprisingly, I don't feel that invite-everyone-to-all-attacks is the dominate strategy. Hand management and getting really good cards seems much more important. But I still didn't like the game. It felt like Sheriff of Nottingham with much more fiddliness, politics, and luck. Also, the host said that the reward deck is supposed to be better than the standard deck, but I don't think that's true. The best standard deck attack card is higher than the best reward deck attack card, and the worst standard deck attack card is higher than the worst reward deck attack card. Just about the only thing the reward decks seems to have going for it are the multiplier kicker cards, and those are both rare and can end up being a useless x0.

In other news, Isle of Skye is a legit good game, and absolutely deserves to win Kennerspiel des Jahres 2016 over T.I.M.E. Stories and Pandemic Legacy.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

golden bubble posted:

I finally played Cosmic Encounter for the first time. Surprisingly, I don't feel that invite-everyone-to-all-attacks is the dominate strategy. Hand management and getting really good cards seems much more important. But I still didn't like the game. It felt like Sheriff of Nottingham with much more fiddliness, politics, and luck. Also, the host said that the reward deck is supposed to be better than the standard deck, but I don't think that's true. The best standard deck attack card is higher than the best reward deck attack card, and the worst standard deck attack card is higher than the worst reward deck attack card. Just about the only thing the reward decks seems to have going for it are the multiplier kicker cards, and those are both rare and can end up being a useless x0.

In other news, Isle of Skye is a legit good game, and absolutely deserves to win Kennerspiel des Jahres 2016 over T.I.M.E. Stories and Pandemic Legacy.

Isle of Skye is great and so is Pandemic Legacy. TIME Stories attachment to that list is... fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I've played Isle of Skye twice and both times the winner was the one person who had bothered to enclose their scrolls.