Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

RuckusRouser posted:

-Action against another character-
Critical Success: 1600

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Doing a VC-hard campaign right now around turn 95. The Dwarfs were wiped out by Greenskins early, and I allied the Schwartz-whatever Vampire faction and the northern Dwarven faction. Currently we are strength 2, 3, and 6 respectively behind the Greenskins with the other vampire faction having taken most of the northern empire and wiping out Ostland, Stirland, and Talabecland while I marched on Averland, Wissenland, and Reikland. We also fought a few combined battles against the Greenskins in the borderlands. Sent a scouting party over to Mousillon only to find that they've been destroyed. You'll pay for this Brettonia! :argh:

I'm thinking I'll have to shift to Very Hard soon though, because I'm not really getting wrecked at all anymore.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Kimsemus posted:

IMO we should add a tips and tricks section to the OP so people aren't having to sift through the thread confused and can just find all that goon wisdom in one spot.

This would be much appreciated.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

RuckusRouser posted:

Since so many people have asked -- and I was wondering myself -- here is the list of how much XP is gained through different actions (got this straight from the game files):

Agents
-Deployed-
100 XP each turn

-Action against another character-
Critical Fail: 200
Fail: 400
Success: 1000
Critical Success: 1600

-Action against an army-
Success: 1200

-Action against an city/settlement-
Success: 1200

Generals
-Passive XP (Sitting in Garrison or Raiding Stance)-
100 XP each turn

-Battles-
Crushing Defeat: 200
Defeat: 400
Valiant Defeat: 600
Pyrrhic Victory: 600
Victory: 1000
Heroic Victory: 1400

-Settlements-
Capturing/Razing/Sacking: 200

Thanks for this, I had a feeling they were around these numbers, and now I know!

Also my early heroes are gods of Mount Olympus. I got a lucky Witch Hunter proc spawn on turn 5, and then made a Captain and a Warrior Priest, and have been farming actions on the VC evrery turn. Now at turn ~30, they're clipping level 20, and pretty much just wreck everything before my army gets there. The enemy army gets their general assassinated, then gets blocked, then gets demoralized, and THEN my doomstack hits them. It's insane how much of a difference well placed Heroes make. Don't even get me started on a buffed Witch Hunter blowing 3 holes in a wall before a siege. And if I bring him in battle, Accusation is stupid good against a lot of units.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I started a new Vampire Counts campaign to test out HEINRICH KIMMLER and Templehoff has 3 units of Grave Guard on turn 3. :stare:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Longbeards also get an AoE leadership passive, which frees up your lord to go fight elsewhere while your army stays solid. Being immune to terror makes them useful vs undead since it seems like in a pitched duel you can just hold them down until they fall apart.

Dwarves seem to go from good leadership to nearly fearless with upgrades.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

McGavin posted:

I started a new Vampire Counts campaign to test out HEINRICH KIMMLER and Templehoff has 3 units of Grave Guard on turn 3. :stare:

I swear the AI bugs out a bit with its cheating sometimes, usually its somewhat believable and okay. In one game as Orks the settlement to the direct south from where you start had 3 stacks and no Waagh the first time i looked at them at like turn 10-20, and they only had one settlement. Nothing like that ever happened again so i assumed it was a bug.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Well, having finished my Chaos Campaign, I've moved on to the Dwarfs for number 4. I'm entering into the midgame, having conquered/confederated everything north of me up to Kislev, and am pushing down south. I've managed to break Grimgor's first Waaagh, but I'm mostly trying to hold on and upgrade what I have rather than push any further at the moment so I had to let him slink away into the badlands. Checkerboard has been working great for me, I've been bringing 2 thunderers, 2 cannons, 2 grudge throwers, and 2-4 quarrelers, with the rest being Warriors supported by 2 Longbeards and a couple of miners in case I need to suicide a doom diver. I definitely confederated too fast, and spent a long while at low income and high unrest (even getting like 3 rebellions at once). But that's mostly stabilized now, so it's looking good going forward. I got into an early war with the Vampires, and smashed their capital before allowing them to get peace for a few thousand gold. Schwartzhafen is actually the dominant undead power now, and they're starting poo poo on the border there so that will be interesting. But I found that Quarrelers tear Vargheists and basic undead apart, so I'm not worried.
The handful of territories I've taken outside the mountains are a pain to defend, but the places I can reach easily with tunnels are good and strong. After taking the Orc Capital while grimgor was in the far south, I've got something like 3 gold mines pouring gold into me so I can support enough armies to protect my wide empire. Definitely liking the dwarfs so far, although drat can grudges build up fast. I spent a long time at 20+ severity, and only got it down by double clearing an old grudge with Grimgor and his Waagh in a 3v2 battle

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

Bright wizards seem to kick rear end, while Gelt felt absolutely useless.

Gelt isn't all bad, his biggest problem is that he's a slow starter. That fact that he gets earthen rod for free overcasts is pretty cool, but it's brought down by not having anything worth overcasting for a while.

Searing Doom

Is by far his worst spell. Possibly the worst spell in the entire game. The biggest issue with this spell is that the little chunk of damage it does is spread so thin that it basically does nothing even under ideal circumstances. Supposedly it's more effective against armored units but considering it doesn't really do poo poo even overcasted I doubt it matters.

Ghenna's Golden Hounds

It's a pretty low-end vortex spell, worth throwing out if you've got nothing better to do but still weaker than most of them that aren't Black Sun, IMO. Worth grabbing on his second level up just so you can overcast it though. (Overcast doubles the duration, making it last a full 26 seconds)

Plague of Rust A really good area debuff! Against...Dwarves, and Chaos eventually. Unfortunately you'll be fighting mostly lightly armored state troops, orcs, and marauders for a while so once again it's poorly suited for when it first unlocks. (Overcasting doubles the effect from -15 to -30 armor.)

Metal Shifting Not a spell, but honestly probably one of the strongest passive skills. 4% AP damage doesn't sound like much, but you gotta realize a lot of low level units only do 1-2 AP damage period, so even buffing that by +1 or 2 is a huge increase.

(I did some quick testing on this, and I think it works as a percentage of base damage. So it's much more effective on units that aren't already AP heavy.)

Glittering Robe Gives a very healthy buff to armor and leadership, this is basically the thing you drop on your Greatsword's every fight for a while. Overcasting makes it a pretty nice AOE buff and with Gelt you always want to look for the free overcast.

Transmutation of Lead

This is a huge aoe debuff to melee attack and weapon damage that lasts almost 30 seconds without overcasting. It owns pretty drat hard. Overcasting more than doubles the attack penalty to -58, which is pretty much never hitting poo poo territory. Overall it's a lot better for swinging melee fights than Glittering Robe in most situations, Robe is more for saving a particular unit for a low winds cost.

Final Transmutation

Gelt's last and by far his most powerful spell. This is basically the strongest single target damage spell in the game, drop it on enemy heroes and monsters and watch them loving melt, especially with overcast doubling the effect duration (which amounts to double the damage. Always overcast that poo poo.) If there are multiple units in the aoe the damage will get spread out and be less effective but it does a ton of damage even so.

TLDR, Gelt is good once you unlock his last two spells, never forget to use your free overcast.

madmac fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 2, 2016

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
loving goddamit, again with allies declaring war on each other. It's Estalia rampaging up into Bretonnia then war-deccing the white/red dwarves near Reikland for whatever stupid loving reason, like they can even control their settlements :argh:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

McGavin posted:

I'm guessing they used Raise Dead?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Wafflecopper posted:

The AI running away all the time is annoying, but I don't think they get more movement range than you. If movement is equal and they're just out of range, they'll stay just out of range as long as they move as far away from you as possible each turn. I've never noticed them actually gaining ground on my armies, so without evidence to the contrary, I'm assuming it's equal. If they are gaining ground, it's possible they have more +campaign movement modifiers than you. Other than the obvious general skill, there are several follower characters that boost campaign movement, possibly items too although I don't recall running into any so far.

The AI can use forced march stance and still attack. Probably my biggest gripe about the game is the ability of enemy armies to weave in and out of attack range at will all the time unless they have an overwhelming advantage at which point you can't get away from them no matter what. That combined with the ability to spawn huge armies of silver/gold chevron units out of nowhere is seriously bullshit.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

I've been liking Molay's magic rework a lot ( http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=695024040 ). It makes magic stronger overall, which is good since it feels like only a handful of vanilla spells were worth using at all. Most spells cost more, and the most powerful effects are limited to overcasting, but you get more power out of it, and upgrading spells increases your power reserve so that a high level wizard can actually cast stuff better rather than just having more options. I do feel like Spirit Leech was weakened too much with its huge range nerf, but it's still a good spell, you just have to wait until after your lines clash to use it safely. But the good news is that Searing Doom is actually a solid damage spell now!
It also touches on Runes and certain Lord passives (be honest, how often do you take that 10% missile damage reduction effect?) to keep pace with the wizards.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Unzip and Attack posted:

The AI can use forced march stance and still attack.

Are you sure about this? I don't think it's the case. They will use March to get an army in reinforcement range all the time but they need a different army in normal stance to initiate the battle.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
IMO Longbeards are superior if you are creating new armies in a region that can, but you dont have any need to actively replace warriors with them. Ironbreakers are good enough for warrant that over time, if you can afford the upkeep (you should be making like 12-15k a turn by turn 100, so yes)

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 2, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

I noticed that a single fireball would do a few hundred points of damage but also tended to kill say 6+ enemy crossbow/sword/spears every time. So my bright wizard could rack up a lot of kills even from starting levels.

In comparison, i tried using Gelt to just searing rain my own troops until I ran out of magic and noticed that while it was doing 600ish damage every cast, it wasnt actually killing anything. In fact, i could get my unit hp down to like 2k out of a max of 4-5 depending on the unit before it said that i had actually even lost any units.

The actual difference in effectiveness here I suspect is that Fireballs total damage is tied to a single projectile, so even if it only hits 5 or 6 dudes, it wrecks their poo poo and they die, thus making fireball a pretty decent spell with immediate visual feedback.

Searing Doom on the other hand, has it's total damage distributed into however many projectiles it has. (12? lets say 12.) So instead of doing 600 damage straight up, you've got basically a random barrage of kinda lovely grenades that all hit different targets and don't injure any particular model much, making it supremely unlikely to actually kill anything unless the entire unit is hanging on deaths door.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Hmm, had my first castle siege and thought I'd try it without siege weapons. It didn't go well. They take so long to build, though. Do they tip the balance enough to be worth camping several turns for?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Man I am terrible at the strategic layer in these games. I know it's not really that hard, but I feel like it's really save-scummy.

I got into a really unfourtunate situation where I chased an army up into a canyon where it was sieging an orc fortress. I had to chase them deeper into the canyon, but by the time I defeated them and tried to go back, the way out was blocked- dwarves had conquered the orcs and I couldn't get out without going to war with the dwarves. :P

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

The AI can use forced march stance and still attack. Probably my biggest gripe about the game is the ability of enemy armies to weave in and out of attack range at will all the time unless they have an overwhelming advantage at which point you can't get away from them no matter what. That combined with the ability to spawn huge armies of silver/gold chevron units out of nowhere is seriously bullshit.

They also don't get a penalty to movement after attacking a settlement.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't know what over casting is.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't know what over casting is.

You cast a spell but harder.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Fangz posted:

On what? You spend the first 2 turns of the VC campaign killing their armies IN YOUR LAND. They also had like 3 units each of Skeleton Spearmen, and Crypt Ghouls, and at least one Vargheist.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Double click the spell to overcast.

Regarding disappointing damage spells like Gelt's Searing Doom, has there been any word from CA that it's not working as intended? I can't see how it would be, I always saw the unit size modifier as more a graphics/performance setting. Setting it to low to have powerful spells reeks of an exploit, not a feature. And the legit actually powerful level 1 spells like the Light Wizard's wouldn't improve much so it's uneven.

How does multiplayer handle unit size? Cause clearly the players can't have different sizes, is it whatever the host is set to?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

You cast a spell but harder.

And here I was thinking it was a clever extension of the weather metaphor. Is there a button?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Arglebargle III posted:

And here I was thinking it was a clever extension of the weather metaphor. Is there a button?

It's the same button you already know and love.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

double click the spell. It costs more power and has a 50% chance of dealing a chunk of damage to your caster, which can kill them if they're low (it's hilarious to see an AI vampire or necromancer lord kill themselves trying to cast Invocation of Nehek)

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Man I am terrible at the strategic layer in these games. I know it's not really that hard, but I feel like it's really save-scummy.

I got into a really unfourtunate situation where I chased an army up into a canyon where it was sieging an orc fortress. I had to chase them deeper into the canyon, but by the time I defeated them and tried to go back, the way out was blocked- dwarves had conquered the orcs and I couldn't get out without going to war with the dwarves. :P

Oh I'm terribly save-scummy. It's different than an RTS skirmish where one bad mistake can waste at most a half hour of your time - one bad move in TW can set you back hours or potentially botch the whole campaign, especially early on when you suck and victories are hard won. I'm paranoid about those XCom moments where failing to do this thing at this time could have ruinous consequences hours from now. A lot of it for me is just confidence-building. Once I get deeper in the campaign I'll have a better idea of what sort of losses I can come back from and I'll save-scum less. Probably.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Someone earlier mentioned that lightning strike was really good, but it's better than that. You can use lightning strike during sieges to ignore the garrison, as long as there's an army there as well. Always fun when you find an enemy lord and like four or five units defending a province capital.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Astus posted:

Someone earlier mentioned that lightning strike was really good, but it's better than that. You can use lightning strike during sieges to ignore the garrison, as long as there's an army there as well. Always fun when you find an enemy lord and like four or five units defending a province capital.

lmao that sounds like an oversight.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

McGavin posted:

On what? You spend the first 2 turns of the VC campaign killing their armies IN YOUR LAND. They also had like 3 units each of Skeleton Spearmen, and Crypt Ghouls, and at least one Vargheist.

On the armies you killed. You don't have to own the territory to use Raise Dead. You just need to be close enough to the site of the battle. I'm not sure, but I suspect you don't even need to be in the same province.

I've raised black coaches and terrorgeists from those initial VC battles. The VC economy seems a lot weaker than the Empire's, but I'm really impressed by how quickly you can just crap out a ton of top tier units.

Xae posted:

They also don't get a penalty to movement after attacking a settlement.

I don't think you do either, as long as you sack instead of occupy or raze. I can pretty happily walk across a border, sack a settlement, pop march stance, and run back over the border to replenish.

Spawning huge armies of silver/chevron out of 'nowhere' is also pretty doable, given global recruitment, and agent/tech/lord bonuses to recruit experience.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 2, 2016

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I wonder what formula the game uses for AP vs Armour calculations, considering that only Savage Orcs have 0 armour. Even Goblins have some bit of armor, so how much does that AP damage actually negate since it and Armour are definitely running on different scales.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fangz posted:

I don't think you do either, as long as you sack instead of occupy or raze. I can pretty happily walk across a border, sack a settlement, pop march stance, and run back over the border to replenish.

It's really hilarious the amount of constant crybaby hyperbole people are throwing out about the AI. For every actual cheat/advantage they get people make up five more through their own bias or lack of understanding.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

I wonder what formula the game uses for AP vs Armour calculations, considering that only Savage Orcs have 0 armour. Even Goblins have some bit of armor, so how much does that AP damage actually negate since it and Armour are definitely running on different scales.

Armor negates regular damage by a random amount up to a maximum of the units armor value. AP damage simply ignores armor altogether, with the weakness of high AP units normally being that they are less effective against low armor units of account of lower overall damage, slower attack speed, ect.

Note that Savage Orcs have a certain level of physical damage resistance so they aren't completely defenseless.

If anyone is super bored today, CA is saying there's an easter egg hidden in this panorama somewhere. Not a new unit or anything like that, but a secret video or whatever the hell.

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War_Warhammer_Panorama

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

toasterwarrior posted:

Armor piercing damage is always applied, while regular damage is modified by armor. Every weapon has its total damage split between those 2 values. Mouse over the stats in the unit cards and thy break things down pretty well.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Mazz posted:

Armor piercing damage is always applied

Well, with the exception of damage resistance, I expect.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Fangz posted:

The AI Cheats, and cheats blatantly , in the total war games. You can either mod it out or learn to deal with it.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Just as a sort of thought exercise, I'm going to write up how I think they could implement the other Lores of Magic, based on how the current ones work. I already did Life earlier.

Lore of Shadow. Movement, Debuffs, sniping damage and the strongest buff in the game, the Lore of Shadows is frequently considered one of the most powerful in the tabletop game. Its lore attribute is Smoke and Mirrors, which lets you swap character positions whenever you cast a spell. Now, that's not really doable in Total War, but a movement buff keeps the same feel to it. I would have it give all characters (so Lord+Heroes) a small movement buff, or possibly all units a smaller one.

0.Melkoth's Mystifying Miasma is a hex that weakens a bunch of stats on a single target. I'd have it reduce melee attack and melee defense, with overcast also slowing.
1.Steed of Shadows lets a single character make a bonus Fly move. This will probably be a single target movement speed buff that also gives Strider, deadly on fast cavalry and helping slow infantry reposition.
2.Enfeebling Foe reduces the strength of a single enemy unit. Definitely a damage debuff to a single target. Hopefully the overcast will extend the duration or boost the effect, keeping Shadow single target as a niche.
3.The Withering reduces the toughness of a single enemy unit. Toughness effects are interesting in Total War, since there's no direct analogue. I'd put it as a reduction in armor and melee defense, maybe even reduced charge defense.
4.Penumbral Pendulum deals serious damage in a line. Something like Wind of Death from lore of vampires here, probably with a small debuff attached to keep the theme of Shadow.
5.Pit of Doom AoE save-or-die spell, like the Purple Sun. Gonna be a Vortex spell, definitely. Not sure what its gimmick should be, since it risks turning into just a clone of the Purple Sun.
6.Okkam's Mindrazor uses your leadership value as your strength. Single target massive damage increase, particularly in AP damage.

Lore of Beasts. This one's going to be interesting. It's a buff-heavy lore of magic, but it involves transformation and interacts with animals (mostly cavalry). Its lore attribute is Wildheart, which reduces the casting difficulty by 1 against cavalry, beasts, chariots, monsters or beastmen. I'd like to see this implemented as +1 to winds of magic reserve for every cavalry, chariot or warbeast unit on either side, but that could get crazy. An alternative would be a +% damage bonus vs large to all units, like Metal's AP damage boost.

0.Wyssan's Wildform is a nice buff to strength and toughness for one unit. Translates nicely to +damage +armor buff
1.Flock of Doom is a weak but multi-hit direct damage spell. Think the Lore of Light's basic bolt, with multiple projectiles hitting one target each, but they're birds
2.Pann's Impenetrable Pelt boosts a character's Toughness. This will probably translate to affecting any unit, not just characters, and as a damage % resistance. AoE on overcast
3.The Amber Spear is a bolt damage spell that inflicts impressive damage that pierces ranks. I'd like to see it as a typical single-target style spell, but that doesn't stop on hitting an enemy. Not as wide as the Wind of Death, but keeps going like it.
4.Curse of Anraheir makes the target less accurate and makes terrain worse. Would like to see -melee attack and -accuracy, would settle for - damage. A slow effect would replace the terrain thing nicely too.
5.Save Beast of Horrors gives a character bonus strength and attacks. This should boost both regular damage and AP damage to a single unit, with an overcast to AoE it.
6.Transformation of Kadon turns you into a loving dragon. I wish that Total War engine could handle this, but we'll probably have to settle for a huge increase to damage, melee attack, melee defense, armor and speed for the caster at the cost of disabling magic. Turn your wizard into a melee-specced Combat Lord!

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

dogstile posted:

That's been a bug for like three games now. The replays don't show you what actually happened

What on earth is the point of them then?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Tindahbawx posted:

What on earth is the point of them then?

If it's anything like DCS, the recording simply fails to represent a few things accurately and then everything goes progressively worse from there as the errors stack up. So it would fail to show you bank at a certain point, so by the end of the replay you end up in a total different spot from where you should've ended up in the replay. So no point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Chomp8645 posted:

It's really hilarious the amount of constant crybaby hyperbole people are throwing out about the AI. For every actual cheat/advantage they get people make up five more through their own bias or lack of understanding.

Like people are also wrong on stuff like doublecasting, how raise dead works, etc - it's a new videogame so people are going to not really know how it works very well.

Here's the thing: You can simply reinterpret every complaint about the specifics of what they think is happening as "It's loving annoying trying to kill the AI sitting in my lands." And yeah man, no matter how much you make fun of people for it, it can get annoying trying to run down a stack that doesn't want to be caught.

Or are we pretending that in a CA game there sometimes isn't janky poo poo? Wonder why people are suspicious of cheating AI after the miracle stacks of Shogun 2 until they actually patched that out? People are such babies, have you heard about dunning kurger and bias blah blah.

• Locked thread