Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

Does the Inevitable City exist outside the MMO?

Pretty sure it's mentioned in (possibly even originally comes from) one of the WHFRP sourcebooks. I forget which one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Unzip and Attack posted:

Same except it was Grimgor with 2 full stacks on turn 10. When I saw them I just restarted - while it was funny for a few seconds I got to turn 7-8 in my second attempt and just quit. Kind of a waste of time.

Weak sauce. I smashed grimgors 2 stack in a seige and had plenty of shorties left over to mop up him and the 2 reinforcing half stacks from some other faction.

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

Dongattack posted:

Daaaaaaaamn, did my first game as the Greenskins, then a VC one and now i'm trying Dwarves. Whomever labeled dwarves as the "easy" start in the game should be forced to face a full Grimgor Ironhide stack and a Waaaagh on turn 14, then be made to sit in the corner and reflect.

Couple pages late on this but I didn't see anyone else reply. Spec your lord into Lightning Strike in the campaign skills tree so you never fight a battle with reinforcements. You'll probably fight his main stack and the Waaagh stack in back to back turns but that beats fighting both stacks at once. I really can't stress enough just how good Lightning Strike is. Being able to choose which stack you fight when you attack and not having to deal with any reinforcements lets you clown the weak stacks one at a time instead of being forced to fight them all at once where they may collectively be able to beat you. You may not have this by turn 14 sure, since it requires an investment of 7 points, but it shouldn't be too much past that if you are actively involved in fighting to build your lord up early.

Alternatively, abuse the AI and your superior ranged units. Position your army in the corner of your deployment area and then immediately move them to the corner of the map once the battle starts. You'll want a stack that's basically something like 3 grudge throwers, 8 warriors, 8 quarrelers. Put the quarrelers in groups of 2 or 3 and micro them. Focus on killing the orc archers and when they run pick the next ranged target. If nothing ranged is in range then help your warriors kill off Grimgor's melee units. Depending on the strength of his melee units you may elect to use a checkerboard pattern for deployment to help you kill off the melee poo poo faster by shooting them in the flanks. This tactic also works against any cav heavy stacks you might fight since they wont be able to sweep around and attack from the flanks.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Stack size is an useful shorthand but it's still a shorthand. Grimgor bringing two full stacks isn't that impressive if it's just a bunch of goblins that can't scratch your armour.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Archaeology Hat posted:

Pretty sure it's mentioned in (possibly even originally comes from) one of the WHFRP sourcebooks. I forget which one.

Tome of Corruption, the Chaos/Norse book.

I am a terrible nerd.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Can someone explain how to make Pistoliers worth their cost? I can only see two scenarios to use them effectively. One is to put them on skirmish mode and sit them off to one side of the enemy formation, as long as the enemy hasn't protected his flanks with a ranged unit or fast light melee cavalry. Even then they are so light in damage output that half-decently armored units can take their punishment for a very long time.

The other use is to put them behind the enemy starting position and if the enemy leaves their canon in the rear and unsupported wait until the forces are engaged and then harass the canon. If the enemy moves their canon up with their army though this kind of falls apart as it only takes one unit of ranged infantry to turn around and wreck the pistoliers/keep them out of range.

Outriders, though I haven't had a chance to use them yet, seem like they would be much more effective due to their longer range and armor piercing trait even though they are somewhat slower.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
So something I learned today, the champions who do the training stuff, like Thanes, will stack for every army in the same region, and when you queue up build orders they don't change when the Thane moves on.

I currently have 4 armies building rank 9 murder machines spread across 3 provinces to cut the build times down.

I'm sperging out and probably delaying the end of my Dwarf campaign by like 30 turns but t this point I want to just wipe the map.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

sassassin posted:

Most of them think that being secretive about basic mechanics is part of the challenge.

I agree with them. Being old means I have a number of fond childhpod memories where I couldn't progress more than a level or two because of some cryptic puzzle that my mind couldn't grasp.

Figure it out us drat self kids, then git gud.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Murgos posted:

Can someone explain how to make Pistoliers worth their cost? I can only see two scenarios to use them effectively. One is to put them on skirmish mode and sit them off to one side of the enemy formation, as long as the enemy hasn't protected his flanks with a ranged unit or fast light melee cavalry. Even then they are so light in damage output that half-decently armored units can take their punishment for a very long time.

The other use is to put them behind the enemy starting position and if the enemy leaves their canon in the rear and unsupported wait until the forces are engaged and then harass the canon. If the enemy moves their canon up with their army though this kind of falls apart as it only takes one unit of ranged infantry to turn around and wreck the pistoliers/keep them out of range.

Outriders, though I haven't had a chance to use them yet, seem like they would be much more effective due to their longer range and armor piercing trait even though they are somewhat slower.

I feel Outriders are even worse as a skirmishing force, since they can't shoot behind them on the move like the Pistoliers can. Outriders are in practice a group of very mobile handgunners and should be used for shooting enemies in the back with little effort once the lines are engaged.

My main use of Pistoliers was putting them in Skirmish mode and using them to distract the enemy flanking forces until I am ready to deal with them, but yes, their damage output is pretty mediocre all things considered.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
How do I do the "spike their grog" grudge? I have an agent standing right outside the correct settlement, but my only available action is "assault garrison"

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dongattack posted:

Daaaaaaaamn, did my first game as the Greenskins, then a VC one and now i'm trying Dwarves. Whomever labeled dwarves as the "easy" start in the game should be forced to face a full Grimgor Ironhide stack and a Waaaagh on turn 14, then be made to sit in the corner and reflect.

Two armies in ambush stance blocking outside Kazak tears grimgor's army up right nice.

Now all you have to worry about is snatching your second region from the orcs before moochdwarves from the southeast and the north beat you to it.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

peer posted:

edit: here's a cool TW: Warhammer opinion from a TWC poster

So straight Empire with no Deathclaw, I wonder he does if any other faction attacks him, rage at his screen? Got a link?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

rockopete posted:

So straight Empire with no Deathclaw, I wonder he does if any other faction attacks him, rage at his screen? Got a link?

It's in a modding thread requesting demigryph units be removed http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?731335-Request-Remove-Demigryph-Knights

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

ZearothK posted:

I feel Outriders are even worse as a skirmishing force, since they can't shoot behind them on the move like the Pistoliers can. Outriders are in practice a group of very mobile handgunners and should be used for shooting enemies in the back with little effort once the lines are engaged.

My main use of Pistoliers was putting them in Skirmish mode and using them to distract the enemy flanking forces until I am ready to deal with them, but yes, their damage output is pretty mediocre all things considered.

Have you tried Outriders with grenade launchers at all, and if so what did you think?

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Two armies in ambush stance blocking outside Kazak tears grimgor's army up right nice.

Now all you have to worry about is snatching your second region from the orcs before moochdwarves from the southeast and the north beat you to it.

Are the city walls not enough to stop him with a full stack + garrison?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

rockopete posted:

Have you tried Outriders with grenade launchers at all, and if so what did you think?

I unlocked them very late in the campaign and never actually did use them, so no opinion there.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It occurs to me that the military might of the Empire is highly dependent on their strategic catbird reserves.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I really like how I'm in a war with two factions, I'm kicking one's rear end. Every turn the first one pays me for peace and then a second later his ally calls him back into the war. This has gone on for like, 6 turns in a row.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

So this is a promising sign for us ratlovers, right???

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

rockopete posted:

Are the city walls not enough to stop him with a full stack + garrison?

In my experience he never assaults Kazak directly, but sacks your other settlements.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.

Elendil004 posted:

I really like how I'm in a war with two factions, I'm kicking one's rear end. Every turn the first one pays me for peace and then a second later his ally calls him back into the war. This has gone on for like, 6 turns in a row.

Ah, I see you've discovered my 'get rich quick' scheme. :10bux:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

rockopete posted:

Somewhat disappointing, largely because by the time you field them, your enemies are using heavily armored infantry like Grave Guard and Chosen that the splash AOE does little to.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

In my experience he never assaults Kazak directly, but sacks your other settlements.

No he will, in a Waagh at least.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Randarkman posted:

Well, I've recently started a game as Greenskins on hard and while Dwarfs are tough opponents the answer to me always seems to be more orcs. Don't accept equal numbers, don't allow equal numbers, bring more boyz. And don't worry too much about normal income, always have a sack target on hand and an army on ita way to sack it. In battle keep units within the general's leadership aura to keep them fighting longer. Don't rely much on archers against dwarfs as they are too often armored and shielded for them to do much other than get chewed up by quarrelers. Bring more boyz. If you don't succeed in defeating a Dwarf army on the first go, keep a second army on hand to come in and finish them off (this is Grimgor as I play it). You can also get a Waagh pretty quickly if you keep up the momentum of sacking settlements, raiding and defeating weaker opponents (the dwarfs and greenskins to your south). Use the underway to reach and sack juicy undefended settlements. And always bring more boyz.

I was able to overwhelm them with a Waaagh! Army.

It's weird, if I attacked them directly I couldn't get the army's support because it was too far away and it would follow me when I ended my turn. If I tried to creep up on them so my Waaagh! was in range when I attack they'd dart past us and sack one of my lightly defended cities. What ended up working was moving next to them with my main army and instructing the Waaagh! to attack. This actually made them the main attacking force and my army was reinforcements that I couldn't deploy manually. It all worked out though as Thorgrim was soundly curbstomped.

Didn't get an option to occupy or sack the city though, since it was an AI faction that won it for me technically. They chose to occupy but I would have preferred to sack.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Longbeards have appreciably less Melee Attack and Defence than Warriors buffed with axe lord and militia tech. Do I still want them?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

The Lone Badger posted:

Longbeards have appreciably less Melee Attack and Defence than Warriors buffed with axe lord and militia tech. Do I still want them?

No, not until you get th 2nd tier lord upgrade that does the same for them, and by that point you'll probably want Ironbreakers anyway.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Been trying to get into the game and a certain technical problem is making it incredibly enjoyable. The animations of units are constantly stuttering / lagging. They seem to skip multiple frames of animation to give the effect of a stuttering mess. This is really.. annoying. The game is running at a decent FPS, and regardless of what the FPS actually is units will keep stuttering.

I've got a 970 GTX (4 Gig) and an i7 930, and 16 gigabytes of RAM. Game is on an SSD. I've tried multiple graphical settings and this issue is persistent throughout. Game also looks way worse than I thought it would, even with everything on maximum, it doesn't look remotely as good as the screenshots I've seen. I've tried it with Unlimited Video Memory and without - no change. Any suggestions how to fix the weird stuttering units?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

In my experience he never does anything but attack my capital, even when softer targets are in range.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The Lone Badger posted:

Armour is more important than those stats in most cases.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

In my experience he never does anything but attack my capital, even when softer targets are in range.

I have five restarts as dwarves now. In every one of them, at the turn 8 or 9 grimgor attack following the ambush scenario, he ignored kazak and ran straight for the pillars.
YMMV

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

I have five restarts as dwarves now. In every one of them, at the turn 8 or 9 grimgor attack following the ambush scenario, he ignored kazak and ran straight for the pillars.
YMMV

MMDV

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Did you garrison kazak at all, or did you just flail your arms while you saw the full stack approach? The AI, like in so many other games seems to prioritize easy targets.

E: What difficulty are you playing on?

ditty bout my clitty fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 2, 2016

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
At what point does anyone accept that "become vassal" diplomatic option? I've finished a couple of long campaigns now and have yet to be able to use it.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Longbeards have appreciably higher HP, Leadership, Armor, Charge, and Weapon Damage, as well as being immune to fear and terror and bolstering the morale of nearby units. Also the upkeep difference is negligible if you're using Thorgrim.

In my experience Longbeards will basically always fight to the last man and are the most cost-effective Dwarf infantry overall even before you unlock their own leadership buff. Always bet on Longbeards.

That said, the advantage of axe lord is extending the viability of Dwarf Warriors for a bit longer, but even so Longbeards are stronger.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Did you garrison kazak at all, or did you just flail your arms while you saw the full stack approach? The AI, like in so many other games seems to prioritize easy targets.

E: What difficulty are you playing on?

I've never seen him attack karak on v hard. I wish he would because that's an easy win with the walls and garrison. He just looters around with a full stack and Waaagh, chain sacking pillars before capturing it

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Night10194 posted:

Tome of Corruption, the Chaos/Norse book.

I am a terrible nerd.

and the liber chaotica, in which tzeentch tricks some scholar guy into writing a book about chaos and, in a move that surprised no one, he goes completely insane and starts writing about chaos space marines and abaddon's black crusades

good book

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

terrorist ambulance posted:

I've never seen him attack karak on v hard. I wish he would because that's an easy win with the walls and garrison. He just looters around with a full stack and Waaagh, chain sacking pillars before capturing it

Exactly.

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

Since so many people have asked -- and I was wondering myself -- here is the list of how much XP is gained through different actions (got this straight from the game files):

Agents
-Deployed-
100 XP each turn

-Action against another character-
Critical Fail: 200
Fail: 400
Success: 1000
Critical Success: 1600

-Action against an army-
Success: 1200

-Action against an city/settlement-

Generals
-Passive XP (Sitting in Garrison or Raiding Stance)-
100 XP each turn

-Battles-
Crushing Defeat: 200
Defeat: 400
Valiant Defeat: 600
Pyrrhic Victory: 600
Victory: 1000
Heroic Victory: 1400

-Settlements-
Capturing/Razing/Sacking: 200

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

terrorist ambulance posted:

On hard he's attacked a well-garrisoned karak with more than half a stack sitting inside it twice (so far) in the same campaign, with the pillars undefended nearby.

The first time he tried to assault without the help of the waagh he was running with (and was literally pummeled to death). The second time he laid a real siege (because his doomdiver was long dead, I suppose) and I sallied with overwhelming numbers.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

RuckusRouser posted:

Since so many people have asked -- and I was wondering myself -- here is the list of how much XP is gained through different actions (got this straight from the game files):

Agents
-Deployed-
100 XP each turn

-Action against another character-
Success: 1000
Critical Success: 1600

-Action against an army-

-Action against an city/settlement-

Generals
-Passive XP (Sitting in Garrison or Raiding Stance)-
100 XP each turn

-Battles-
Crushing Defeat: 200
Defeat: 400
Valiant Defeat: 600
Pyrrhic Victory: 600
Victory: 1000
Heroic Victory: 1400

-Settlements-
Capturing/Razing/Sacking: 200

Yams bud. So looks like farming settlement attacks is the way too power level until you can take on AI agents if you're stupid enough to play without the easy agents mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
IMO we should add a tips and tricks section to the OP so people aren't having to sift through the thread confused and can just find all that goon wisdom in one spot.

• Locked thread