Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

voltcatfish posted:

the virtual console is actually bad

Nah, being able to play old games on new systems is actually great.

Pity that the selection isn't always the best...but the Virtual Console itself is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I may need to make a trip to a gamestop or two, I guess it's about time for most DS titles to have hit rock bottom prices.

For reals though, beware of fake carts, I know Tetris is a common one that's faked. Pokemon too of course.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The virtual console would be much better if it didn't cost the price of a full retail game for like 3 ROMS

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The virtual console would be much better if it didn't cost the price of a full retail game for like 3 ROMS

Because things lose all value simple for being old?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

jivjov posted:

Because things lose all value simple for being old?

Because other game companies actually discount old games, or if they don't do a lot of extra work rather than just recreating the game and charging the same price for it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh come on guys you know 'other company does better' doesn't work on jivjov

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Because other game companies actually discount old games, or if they don't do a lot of extra work rather than just recreating the game and charging the same price for it.

Nintendo also discounts their old games. SNES titles were $40-$60 at launch. Now they're, what, $7.99 on eshop?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jivjov posted:

Nintendo also discounts their old games. SNES titles were $40-$60 at launch. Now they're, what, $7.99 on eshop?

You should really exercise before trying to stretch that far.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

jivjov posted:

This is such a stupid argument when GOG is a thing and it has great deals on a weekly basis.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Terminally Bored posted:

This is such a stupid argument when GOG is a thing and it has great deals on a weekly basis.

What?

GoG sells games cheaper than they were at launch, so does Nintendo. They're both doing the same thing.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You should really exercise before trying to stretch that far.

How is that a stretch? Nintendo is LITERALLY doing exactly what I said; selling old games for a fraction of what they used to cost.

Sorry that some people are too cheap to spend $5-$10 bucks on a virtual console title, I guess?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Yeah, but only one of those does discounts properly.

Hint: it's not Nintendo.

Edit: Ah, ok. The classic "fukken cheapskates are dissing my favorite company" argument.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Terminally Bored posted:

Edit: Ah, ok. The classic "fukken cheapskates are dissing my favorite company" argument.

How is "this game used to be $40-$60 and is now only $7.99" not a "proper" discount?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Because people who think $8 is still too much can regularly get games for like 2 or 3 bucks during sales on GOG? That's the whole point.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Terminally Bored posted:

I guess video games are a luxury good, and we should be fuckin flabbergasted whenever there's a Steam Sale, for how expensive and time-consuming it is to produce them, is the lesson I would take from this.

Nintendo is bad at sales, but don't pretend like $7.99 isn't the most reasonable price Earthbound has had since it ever existed. When my choices for acquiring a game are: pirate it, buy an original cartridge from an internet rando for somewhere between $20 and $600, or spend $8 on a digital copy, I'm pretty happy that the $8 version exists, and could possibly be used as a metric for Nintendo to decide that maybe it's worthwhile to keep making games like that after all.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Terminally Bored posted:

Because people who think $8 is still too much can regularly get games for like 2 or 3 bucks during sales on GOG? That's the whole point.

So..."waaaah, I'm cheap and have an entitlement complex and am mad Nintendo won't sell me things as cheaply as I want them!!!"

Got it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Earthbound isn't the greatest example because its deliberately more expensive than other SNES VC games because, uh, a digital game can still be 'rare'???

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

The point is simply that Nintendo rarely puts out sales on their games at all. We all know about ATLUS' nearly monthly sales on their games, but we go maybe a year before Nintendo decides to offer a select amount of their games at a cheaper price.

I understand that in the past, NES/SNES games used to be expensive, and now they're lower. The problem is that, on nearly every other gaming platform, people are free to wait for games to go on sale, while that time comes so rarely with Nintendo, obviously, people would critique this.

It's a clear pain in the butt that Nintendo rarely puts out their games on sale, and people should be able to voice their criticisms. Just as how people can argue about those very same critiques, too.

EDIT: Also please don't resort to name calling in arguments. People should be chill. Being cool as ice is never a bad thing.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
One thing I have issue with is that it is prohibitive to trying out games you missed out on or haven't played since you were a kid and are going based upon memory. 7-9 is fine for games that are pretty much a given but I'm not going to drop 8 on a game that looks interesting but not sure if I want to or would like to play it once I get a feel of the controls. Especially since there's no guarantee that those games are moving over t the nx without having to repurchase. I haven't pirated games since Pokemon white came out and largely due to the Canadian dollar removing the prohibitive cost. But now that the Canadian dollar is back in the gutter I'm less and less inclined to take risks. Really should start introducing different tiered pricing for lesser polished or beloved titles on the eshop and I'd probably get those rather than drop 80 on a new game

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Ahh, so we've reached the "all companies need to adopt identical business models or else they're bad" section of the discussion?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Why do people even bother, I'm serious. Is it either this or pockets chat or what?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

goferchan posted:

I understand why since it was never set up for that but I hate that you can't get DS games from virtual console. Even on the Wii U it's dependent on publisher so I doubt you'll ever get to play the DS castlevania games on there ...
The GBA Castlevanias are on the WiiU Virtual Console so I'd imagine the DS ones will get added eventually.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

jivjov posted:

Ahh, so we've reached the "all companies need to adopt identical business models or else they're bad" section of the discussion?

You could critique things without saying they're immediately bad.

Criticisms =/= The criticized is bad.

EDIT: I unironically find pocket chat hilarious, as the idea of adults getting pissed at their portable console looking weird in a bag or pocket is simply childish. :allears:

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

Linnaeus posted:

Their website shows the amount they'll give you for it

http://www.gamestop.com/trade

Thanks for this. I honestly didn't even know I could look that stuff up on the site since I haven't messed with GameStop in years.

Also it looks like I missed out on the 20th Anniversary Pokémon bundle. That would have been extremely my poo poo.

On the whole Nintendo never has sales thing: they are really bad at it. A lot worse than other companies, in fact. I tend to spend less money on Nintendo stuff than Steam or GoG.

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jun 2, 2016

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

LightningKimba posted:

You could critique things without saying they're immediately bad.

Criticisms =/= The criticized is bad.

EDIT: I unironically find pocket chat hilarious, as the idea of adults getting pissed at their portable console looking weird in a bag or pocket is simply childish. :allears:

I kept my 3DS XL in my pocket yesterday :smuggo:

New Nintendo 3DS XL: too big for jeans pocket, just right for dress slacks.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Why do people even bother, I'm serious. Is it either this or pockets chat or what?

IMO a hot dog is a sandwich

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

0.99999... = 1

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Junpei Hyde posted:

IMO a hot dog is a sandwich

Certainly a subset of the sandwich category

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Overemotional Robot posted:

Thanks for this. I honestly didn't even know I could look that stuff up on the site since I haven't messed with GameStop in years.

Also it looks like I missed out on the 20th Anniversary Pokémon bundle. That would have been extremely my poo poo.

On the whole Nintendo never has sales thing: they are really bad at it. A lot worse than other companies, in fact. I tend to spend less money on Nintendo stuff than Steam or GoG.

In case you didn't see it, and just to make sure you're aware, the 3DS LL and 3DS XL are the same thing, just the LL is the Japanese version. It looks like you're maybe just wanting the regular n3DS if you liked the Pokemon bundle.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
New Pokemon Sun/Moon trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW14HO7C1Dg

I like the bat legendary and the "your pokedex is a Rotom" gimmick.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Really digging Fantasy Life so far. What do I need to know about it. I'm an Angler but Id also like to use a big sword. Halp!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

hadji murad posted:

Really digging Fantasy Life so far. What do I need to know about it. I'm an Angler but Id also like to use a big sword. Halp!
My advice is, go learn how to use a big sword.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

hadji murad posted:

You can use a big sword as an Angler, but you need to be a paladin or mercenary first to get the skills for it.

Everyone should play Fantasy Life.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

hadji murad posted:

I found the big swords to kind of suck but I fully recommend getting some Paladin levels under your belt. You should be changing classes whenever you feel like it, there's no penalty and the game fully expects you to - being able to warp to your boss and the guild office makes it really efficient, too.

We have a thread but it's gone kind of quiet.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
I picked alchemy and dumped like 90% of my points into intellect :/

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

goferchan posted:

I understand why since it was never set up for that but I hate that you can't get DS games from virtual console. Even on the Wii U it's dependent on publisher so I doubt you'll ever get to play the DS castlevania games on there ... and it's even kind of inconsistent with first-party stuff; you can buy the GBA Advance Wars game but not Dual Strike on 3DS. Also I can buy all the GBA Mega Man Zero Mission games individually but obviously I can't buy the DS collection that included them on one cart

Advance Wars 2 is the best game in the series, they have no reason to waste money supporting Dual Strike

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

PS. Love the cabin posted:

I picked alchemy and dumped like 90% of my points into intellect :/

mainline the main quest (no real fighting necessary) and u can respec

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

All the Advance Wars games deserve to be supported

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Advance Wars 2 is the best game in the series, they have no reason to waste money supporting Dual Strike

Is it? I played them all as a kid when they were coming out but forgot the tier lists. Good to know I'm gonna go sip some coffee on the porch and fire that sucker up on the Wii U gamepad right now

edit: wow I'm not sure how or why but GBA games look great on here. My only complaint is that they can't work some voodoo with the gyroscope and get Warioware Twisted working on it

goferchan fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 2, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Dual Strike is totally on Wii U VC.in PAL-land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

It's loving bonkers that people act like Nintendo is killing their dog because they're charging $10 for a 30-hour RPG that's widely considered an all-time classic of the genre. Just because you can get games for $3 in the Steam summer sale doesn't mean they're not worth more than that.