Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radical
Apr 6, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

I have no idea how you've missed the countless Kindred versus Graves games but you're really exaggerating how much play Elise is seeing

i meant to say this split/patch not this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx
I just had a game where the enemy Lucian accused me of "camping bot lane".

I was playing Caitlyn ADC.

Bless his heart.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I like that solo carrying has been eliminated for the most part. I've seen how it has frustrated people who liked the old school one man army play style (several of my friends who have essentially quit the game); however it is unhealthy for a team game to make 8 people feel totally irrelevant so that one person can have a blast while one other person is in a corner crying somewhere. You don't retain customers when 90% of them spend 40 minutes not having fun.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i actually think riot is on the right path with most of their changes, though they're pushing out so many of them at such a quick pace the balance seems to break constantly and a lot of people aren't able to keep up with what changes week to week. feels like there was probably some changing of the guard behind the scenes at riot and they're trying to make a lot of sweeping changes all at once between the lcs and the live game. their messaging has been pretty poor surrounding a lot of changes too, and they've been pretty negative for the majority of high ranked players that influence the community a lot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hermetic posted:

I just had a game where the enemy Lucian accused me of "camping bot lane".

I was playing Caitlyn ADC.

Bless his heart.

Well he was right, you never left Bot lane. just set up a loving tent why don't you? I bet you even had someone else there helping you out, you frigging coward.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

SaberToothedPie posted:

my team just got absolutely hosed by an illaoi, i hope this isnt a trend

how

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
lmao Zed's death mark shadow was coded as a minion

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Work Friend Keven posted:

Not only that but get this: you're a staggering 27% percent more likely to lose if you're a toxic.

Holy poo poo.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

DolphinCop posted:

Holy poo poo.

RIP cass/twitch/teemo/singed power combo

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Libertine posted:

I like that solo carrying has been eliminated for the most part. I've seen how it has frustrated people who liked the old school one man army play style (several of my friends who have essentially quit the game); however it is unhealthy for a team game to make 8 people feel totally irrelevant so that one person can have a blast while one other person is in a corner crying somewhere. You don't retain customers when 90% of them spend 40 minutes not having fun.

It's made ADC an odd role because now you have the support whose entire job is to get you developing well into the mid and lategame, and the payoff is... someone who can't carry the game. I'm curious to see what happens with the ADC and support roles in the future.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Work Friend Keven posted:

Not only that but get this: you're a staggering 27% percent more likely to lose if you're a toxic.

What if losing makes you 27% more likely to be toxic

:aaaaa:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
That's not what marksmen do, really. Their main job is to reliably take towers, with doing damage a distant second place. Sure they end up doing a lot of damage, but they're difficult to protect in protracted fights and the big reason to take one is so you have a way to kill objectives quickly and safely.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BigLeafyTree posted:

It's made ADC an odd role because now you have the support whose entire job is to get you developing well into the mid and lategame, and the payoff is... someone who can't carry the game. I'm curious to see what happens with the ADC and support roles in the future.

Yeah, it's a strange issue that LoL has always danced around with its scaling mages. The concept of a carry is someone who has an exceptionally weak early game in exchange for a skillset that becomes hard to stop lategame if the enemy fails to exploit that early weakness. Riot's obsession with counterplay and skillsets that amplify gold value from items (old Kayle and Jax being obvious ones) has resulted in the current situation where none of the early-weak carries are popular; why go for a weak-early good-late when you can pick a safer range/burst 'carry' who is good-early good-late?

Riot has tried to tackle this by adding gimmick and minigames to outright clicking, to make the lack of a real lategame reward less glaring, but you're still left picking either an AD mage with utility and early power, or a clicker with no utility and an inability to help contest Dragon or defend themselves.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 2, 2016

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

How's Shen doing these days? I picked him up and my first two games playing him were against a Zac and a Trundle and they were both awful disasters.
E. Is he a better top or jungler?

LegalPad fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 2, 2016

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

SaberToothedPie posted:

my team just got absolutely hosed by an illaoi, i hope this isnt a trend

No need to kinkshame

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Neurolimal posted:

Yeah, it's a strange issue that LoL has always danced around with its scaling mages. The concept of a carry is someone who has an exceptionally weak early game in exchange for a skillset that becomes hard to stop lategame if the enemy fails to exploit that early weakness. Riot's obsession with counterplay and skillsets that amplify gold value from items (old Kayle and Jax being obvious ones) has resulted in the current situation where none of the early-weak carries are popular; why go for a weak-early good-late when you can pick a safer range/burst 'carry' who is good-early good-late?

Riot has tried to tackle this by adding gimmick and minigames to outright clicking, to make the lack of a real lategame reward less glaring, but you're still left picking either an AD mage with utility and early power, or a clicker with no utility and an inability to help contest Dragon or defend themselves.

At least for this season, ADC has been dominated by champions that have a real one-item powerspike. But last season, there were actually good meta ADCs that started IE+Shiv. What happened? Was the ADC rework that much of a failure?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
ADC builds have been fairly varied compared to past seasons

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

LegalPad posted:

How's Shen doing these days? I picked him up and my first two games playing him were against a Zac and a Trundle and they were both awful disasters.

He's a solid but unspectacular top laner. Like I play him when my team needs a versatile tank but his laning phase is one of the most boring things in the game. Dragging the blade around is probably the least fun mini-game in the game.

Trundle is a pretty hard counter to any tank pick just by his design, so you shouldn't win that in lane given equal skill, you should play conservative and try to make more map plays than he can. I haven't laned against a Zac in awhile but I feel like he and Shen have a pretty even matchup.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

golden bubble posted:

At least for this season, ADC has been dominated by champions that have a real one-item powerspike. But last season, there were actually good meta ADCs that started IE+Shiv. What happened? Was the ADC rework that much of a failure?

IE and Last Whisper got nerfed and you can make every laner a tank by building Sunfire/iceborne first two items.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Thank you to the folks who clued me in on duskblade MF. I told my Marksman-playing friend about it and we've been having an absolute blast terrorizing botlane with Sarah / Leona. I've finally worked back to silver V after a really bad placement series started me in Bz II, but everyone we've playing against lately is between S III and G IV so I think we can actually keep climbing if we keep it up. It's so satisfying seeing the duskblade proc on stubborn or evasive divers like trynd and leblanc after they think they've gotten away.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
It's fun to build duskblade. I think the item is good. Disagree? That's fine...

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Oh boy, Trinity Force changes? Time to gently caress up my Ezreal build

I think i'm gonna start by trying out Triforce/Zerks since they were both buffed...

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

NTT posted:

That's not what marksmen do, really. Their main job is to reliably take towers, with doing damage a distant second place. Sure they end up doing a lot of damage, but they're difficult to protect in protracted fights and the big reason to take one is so you have a way to kill objectives quickly and safely.

this is what people find out when they try pantheon xin zhao bottom lane gimmicks. you get the ball rolling but then it's mid game and you have baron and two fire drakes but you still cant take an inner turret

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
dont worry, your mid top and jungler are all playing marksmen

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Libertine posted:

That frustration is actually the reason I've quit playing League several times; longest was like six months. It was just far too easy for one person to completely ruin the game for everybody else, be it by carrying or trolling. 9 silvers and a diamond in a game is probably fun only for the diamond. Smurfing was a god awful problem and it was just not fun when somebody far better than you at the game crushed some other lane, spun impossibly out of control, and had 25 kills at 20 minutes. Same goes for somebody that went on tilt or decided to be a huge baby about some thing or another. "Lol gently caress u jung no ganks imma afk lol gank more noob."

With a greater emphasis on multi queue people are more likely to play with people they know and are far less likely to troll. I've seen far, far fewer trolls these days. Granted multi queue as it is was fucky for a while but Rito James is fixing it so whatever. Games were stompy as hell for a while but now it's improving a lot. No more "every other game is an obvious five stack that communicates well against 5 randos that couldn't coordinate moving a couch." Pretty sure this is also going to reduce people just playing like total dumbasses as they're going to get grief from people they like. "Hey I'm not going to play with you if you go 0/10/0 at fifteen minutes every game, dude."

I kind of suspect we're going to see a poo poo ton of boosting later in the season, though.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
goons: marksman are terrible and can't carry the game

me: remembers the halcyon days of january 2016 when graves top, kindred jungle, solo lane quinn and corki mid completely dominated the meta

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
My experience is people being "funny" or abusive because they know thay can't get meaningfully reported and / or my personal greatest pet peeve, the one guy who doesn't have a mic and is saying non sequiturs in chat all game.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

i always laugh at "marksmen are bad" because they do more than right click and you know some of them have really nice team fight ults or spells for pick offs

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The idea of the other 8 people being useless in a traditional carry setup is a large aspect of why bronze players are bronze.

In a traditional carry setup the carry is what strats revolve around, but they are by no means the only important aspect of the team; steroids, heals, shields, pulls, initiation, peels, stuns, blocking, all of these are important; if you feel useless in an old fashioned carry system it's because you are -making- yourself useless. It's the difference between a Lion that rushes Dagon, and a Lion that builds sheepstick.

This is also why playing Support is the best advice for a new player in a game with traditional carries; it forces them to learn positioning, team awareness, and map awareness without the distractions of rushing survivability to reduce deaths and pretend everyone else is at fault, or damage and pretending its' the carries fault that they couldnt survive while you blew your stuns and nukes killing a Singed running from the fight.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Libertine posted:

He's a solid but unspectacular top laner. Like I play him when my team needs a versatile tank but his laning phase is one of the most boring things in the game. Dragging the blade around is probably the least fun mini-game in the game.

Trundle is a pretty hard counter to any tank pick just by his design, so you shouldn't win that in lane given equal skill, you should play conservative and try to make more map plays than he can. I haven't laned against a Zac in awhile but I feel like he and Shen have a pretty even matchup.

Shen feels odd because his kit is based around mitigation, but any damage that gets through his shields sticks and he has to constantly put himself in danger to CS. I was expecting being able to play safe in lane and do some super clutch MLG ults to save allies in other lanes, but half the time I'm too busy trying not to get nickle and dimed up top. Although to be fair, I've had some really bad matchup. My 3rd game was against a heimer.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
My favorite build is back boys

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/2205097676/34336434

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Im assuming the other team didn't do well because they didn't have the nineforce rolling

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

it's funny because patrick is Scarizard's name

stump collector
May 28, 2007
i'll never reach diamond so i'm actually a big fan of ranked dynamic queue because i don't have to dodge as often as i used to

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

LegalPad posted:

He's just not as good anymore. Meta doesn't favor split-pushing as much and he's not strong enough to be dueling Maokai or Ekko or Poppy who are en vouge right now.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
the other thing about removing solo carrying is they also removed your ability to completely gently caress someone (especially in top lane) by playing incredibly well, which is another thing i miss

you could kill someone before they got 720 gold for chain vest and they wouldn't be able to buy a single item (chain and giant's belt didn't build out of smaller items), they wouldn't tp back to lane and get all their cs at turret cause nobody took it, and they didn't get free global gold for their team shutting people down. you could actually win against tanks because they didn't get a load of items for free. it was some good poo poo imo

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Ekko and Maokai both got some thick nerfs on this patch. I think the new top lane terror is going to be Tank Fizz, who was already really strong. Poppy got brutally nerfed several patches ago and I don't think she's a power pick at all anymore, she's sitting at like a 46% win rate and extremely unpopular.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Poopy.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
My last experience with Shen was an enemy picking him, taking a full armor runepage, rushing thornmail and sunfire, and bragging about beating me (a xin zhao with a gimmick lifesteal build) in lane

when it came time to teamfight our Lebonk instantly nuked him to death :v: rip full armor

E: I still have no interest at all in playing Poppy post-rework. She just seems like a really boring peeler with a hilariously short skillshot poke now. I miss "worlds least subtle assassin". Also when she looked less like a kid and more like a really ugly and dead-serious bugs bunny

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich

• Locked thread