Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

poty posted:

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Apple-to-extend-iPhone-s-product-cycle

tim "got nothing" cook has officially run out of steves ideas and doesnt have a clue what to do next. i for one look forward to the big launch of the iphone 6b this september. the b stands for barometer

joke's on you the current phone already has one (used to know how far up/down stairs you go, for indoor positioning, and Dark Sky uses it to refine their data models)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Jimmy Carter posted:

joke's on you the current phone already has one (used to know how far up/down stairs you go, for indoor positioning, and Dark Sky uses it to refine their data models)

holy crap how did i not know this

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Larry Parrish posted:

You're right; the current trend of extremely pricey tech goods becoming less and less end-user-maintainable and planned obsolescence is actually good in the hosed up brain of someone who upgrades their phone and computer to the latest Consumer human being model. But do me a favor and try to think what someone without disposable income would think about paying double the price for a monitor with the drawback of having to replace the monitor and graphics card at the same time

why doesnt ferrari think of the people without disposable income

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

first explain to me how a monitor with a graphics chip in it is different from

* the current display which has video controller, USB router and thunderbolt controller in it
* the current iMac which has a graphics chip in it, as well as CPU, webcam, logic board, etc

you're getting really, really mad on a web site because you think Apple should release a display that only works well on 15" Macbook Pros with dedicated graphics. and you see this as class warfare because you erroneously think people will have to upgrade the graphics chip separately for some reason.

the middle class is disappearing, the price of living is astronomical, 95% of all new wealth is going to a fraction of the top 1%. but i think this is a pretty cool engineering choice that could actually save people money because they won't have to upgrade their devices. when urban outfitter sells a culturally appropriated dress worth $5 for $200, light up the social justice bat signal in the sky and i'll be there but this is a professional computer product.

also, Apple has been letting battery life outpace graphics power for many years. some products have seen big reductions in computing and graphics power, like the macbook. if apple's plan is to reduce cost and improve battery life for 95% of users while handing-off the performance stuff to another device, that's actually brilliant.

PleasureKevin fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 2, 2016

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
lol

poty
Jun 21, 2008

did i click on the bernie sanders thread by mistake again

poty
Jun 21, 2008

zen death robot posted:

Apple is more like Toyota if you wanna make a car comparison

im not trying to make a car comparison

im trying to introduce the very novel concept of a premium product for normal people who wont tinker with it because they have better things to do to a goon

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

maniacdevnull posted:

Hewlett Mackard

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

poty posted:

im not trying to make a car comparison

im trying to introduce the very novel concept of a premium product for normal people who wont tinker with it because they have better things to do to a goon

like a prius?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

the prius is not really premium. its expensive for a car i guess but its not like there are other manufacturers doing the same thing cheaper afaik

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

poty posted:

the prius is not really premium. its expensive for a car i guess but its not like there are other manufacturers doing the same thing cheaper afaik

like lenovo?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cancer treatments are highly profitable

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

echinopsis posted:

just ask lowtax

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
Unable to connect to iCloud Music Library.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

echinopsis posted:

rip steve

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
how can anyone like any electronic device that isn't a DIY PC if they are all about repair ability? ever since everything went digital with MCU controls instead of analog pots and stuff nothing has been repairable. like if you are bitching and not using a tube tv, 30yr old marantz receiver and driving a car from the 60s then you aren't really that strongly interested in user serviceability. The simple fact is almost every engineered product made for consumers is not going to be serviceable solely because of the complexity of its electronics, if you want to service something pay a premium for lab grade and industry grade electronics and don't buy a car

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

THC posted:

perfectly fine used PC
:raise:

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

The simple fact is almost every engineered product made for consumers is not going to be serviceable solely because of the complexity of its electronics, if you want to service something pay a premium for lab grade and industry grade electronics and don't buy a car

i had to fix the control board in my refrigerator by doing like a zillion finicky solders because the piece of poo poo ice maker dribbles water into the evaporator fan so the control board decides to poo poo itself

then i fixed the ice maker by whittling a shim and doping it in a fabric fire retardant so the ice maker heater wont light it on fire so it cost like 11 bucks in parts instead of 240 or w/e they wanted for a new control board and like another 200 for the out of stock moisture kit that wouldn't have actually solved the problem

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

angry_keebler posted:

i had to fix the control board in my refrigerator by doing like a zillion finicky solders because the piece of poo poo ice maker dribbles water into the evaporator fan so the control board decides to poo poo itself

then i fixed the ice maker by whittling a shim and doping it in a fabric fire retardant so the ice maker heater wont light it on fire so it cost like 11 bucks in parts instead of 240 or w/e they wanted for a new control board and like another 200 for the out of stock moisture kit that wouldn't have actually solved the problem

cool

:troll:

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

me, getting owned:

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

angry_keebler posted:

thats pretty awesome and it reminds me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bGb5AOwp44

Apple stuff should be easier than any other brands to work with too in this regard because most things are standardized and parts will be easier to source simply due to volume

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
well, the unibody pre-retina (2008-2012) macbook pros were actually really nice to do memory or HDD jobs on. not bad to do optical drives on either. it seems somewhat worse these days given the ram soldered to the logic board and the fact that you're not intended to be inside the thing.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

well, the unibody pre-retina (2008-2012) macbook pros were actually really nice to do memory or HDD jobs on. not bad to do optical drives on either. it seems somewhat worse these days given the ram soldered to the logic board and the fact that you're not intended to be inside the thing.

yeah putting an ssd into my 2011 macbook pro was easy as poo poo

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

mishaq posted:

yeah putting an ssd into my 2011 macbook pro was easy as poo poo

same.

i need to get around to mounting one of those optic drive converters in it for more hdd space

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

how can anyone like any electronic device that isn't a DIY PC if they are all about repair ability? ever since everything went digital with MCU controls instead of analog pots and stuff nothing has been repairable. like if you are bitching and not using a tube tv, 30yr old marantz receiver and driving a car from the 60s then you aren't really that strongly interested in user serviceability. The simple fact is almost every engineered product made for consumers is not going to be serviceable solely because of the complexity of its electronics, if you want to service something pay a premium for lab grade and industry grade electronics and don't buy a car

i keep using a sony xperia z1 because i can get cheap parts and its very modular so i can replace the camera for $2 or the battery for $3 or the side button assembly for $1 or the screen for $20 etc. works for me.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
nice phone of theseus

why not buy one that just works

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

first explain to me how a monitor with a graphics chip in it is different from

* the current display which has video controller, USB router and thunderbolt controller in it
* the current iMac which has a graphics chip in it, as well as CPU, webcam, logic board, etc

you're getting really, really mad on a web site because you think Apple should release a display that only works well on 15" Macbook Pros with dedicated graphics. and you see this as class warfare because you erroneously think people will have to upgrade the graphics chip separately for some reason.

the middle class is disappearing, the price of living is astronomical, 95% of all new wealth is going to a fraction of the top 1%. but i think this is a pretty cool engineering choice that could actually save people money because they won't have to upgrade their devices. when urban outfitter sells a culturally appropriated dress worth $5 for $200, light up the social justice bat signal in the sky and i'll be there but this is a professional computer product.

also, Apple has been letting battery life outpace graphics power for many years. some products have seen big reductions in computing and graphics power, like the macbook. if apple's plan is to reduce cost and improve battery life for 95% of users while handing-off the performance stuff to another device, that's actually brilliant.

goddam i love this thread

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

angry_keebler posted:

me, getting owned:

what ever happened to that comic strip

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
it actually ended a few years ago

ed: 2010

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

iirc there was a Cathy theme in Microsoft Plus! for Windows 98. it was pretty baller

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

THC posted:

iirc there was a Cathy theme in Microsoft Plus! for Windows 98. it was pretty baller

did you mean 'pretty ballmer' because that's the only way your post makes sense

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
allez oop

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

could this help the iPhone camera bump?

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-36438686

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

no

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
lol f ur phone doesn't have a visible erection

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

here is an extremely in-depth comparison of apple maps and google maps

http://www.justinobeirne.com/essay/cartography-comparison

did you know Apple maps uses localized road signs and point of interest icons? even localized colors apparently.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

yes

look at japan for example

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
is one of the comparison items "kills people" for apple maps vs. "hasn't killed people" for googmaps?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

stymie was right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Stymie posted:

is one of the comparison items "kills people" for apple maps vs. "hasn't killed people" for googmaps?

mishaq posted:

stymie was right

• Locked thread