Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canned Ham Radio
Feb 4, 2009

Long range, Mobile,
And Delicious!
Pillbug
I just saw this and could not help but laugh...

Visit Valentine.. Small town, Big adventure!!

http://visitvalentine.org/

Valentine is a city in Cherry County, Nebraska, United States. The population was 2,737 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of Cherry County.
BUT!! Valentine is home to a NAPA AND a Pronto auto parts store..

I am setting cash aside now for this unusual road trip..

Canned Ham Radio fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

scuz what year is your golf?

2002 2.0L engine code AVH why? :buddy:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've got an owners manual from my dear departed 2005 GL, but I just realized I got rid of my old MkIV Haynes. Anyway I can confirm you'll be able to shove all that poo poo into the car, the capacity in the MkIV is pretty big once you fold down the rear seats. You're gonna want to put as much weight forward as you can, to try to keep the car from being too overloaded over the rear wheels, and even with the cushions re-positioned the rear seat won't lay totally flat. If you can strap the engine onto the back of the rear seat with some tie downs or jam something in behind it to hold it forward, that will help. Also obviously drive slowly and carefully, no sudden hard turns, etc.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

I've got an owners manual from my dear departed 2005 GL, but I just realized I got rid of my old MkIV Haynes. Anyway I can confirm you'll be able to shove all that poo poo into the car, the capacity in the MkIV is pretty big once you fold down the rear seats. You're gonna want to put as much weight forward as you can, to try to keep the car from being too overloaded over the rear wheels, and even with the cushions re-positioned the rear seat won't lay totally flat. If you can strap the engine onto the back of the rear seat with some tie downs or jam something in behind it to hold it forward, that will help. Also obviously drive slowly and carefully, no sudden hard turns, etc.
Yep, mine's the GL of the MkIV line and I've already moved the vestigial back seats to my attic, lots of room! I found the tie-down anchor points and I've still got the manual and the Bentley service and repair manuals :) I believe in this little guy, just gotta get the timing worked out and figure out whether the Roadmaster is still for sale or not heh.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

kastein posted:

I stole that one from AvE, don't thank me :v:

Part it out. Roadmasters aren't exactly common in the rustbelt anymore. If the front and rear interior door cards aren't hosed (they're brittle old plastic) I might be interested in all 4 for my GF's roadmaster, hers are beyond repair. Not sure how much it'd cost to ship them or whether 94-96 door cards will fit a 91-93, though.

There are actually a buttload of nice looking roadmasters around the twin cities for some unknown and bizarre reason. I see them all the time. I'd bet parting the thing out would go pretty quickly.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
This thread is this song irl

https://youtu.be/iOKV9Stri_M

klezmer life yo
Jan 7, 2011
For what it's worth, I've had ~800lb of people, plus my normal tools and a full tank of diesel in my AAZ Mk3 Golf. Can't be that bad for a mk4.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

scuz posted:

Loading it in will be something of a fabricobble (thanks for that word, btw) adventure since the only strong dude I know is TheFonz and my back sucks at the moment. What I'm most worried about is what to do with the rest of the loving car after I've robbed it of its treasures. I could just drop it off at a junkyard or leave it by the side of the road since there's no title, but that's rude.

I'm about 15 minutes South of that Roadmaster if you want any additional help with loading/teardown/part-out. Seriously!

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

As long as it doesn't turn into Schism we'll be alright I think.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

So, I do some freelancing for AutoBlog. I was telling my editor about this project/thread this morning and she was all, "These dudes should write something for us!" Then she sent me the link for Open Road. Here's the link, Open Road is one of those sites where car nerds can write stories about cool poo poo and submit it. Open Road would probably be pretty interested in this story because it's both cool and bonkers, so one of you guys should write something up and send it in. Probably Dick-Riff. Actually, definitely Dick-Riff.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

So, I do some freelancing for AutoBlog. I was telling my editor about this project/thread this morning and she was all, "These dudes should write something for us!" Then she sent me the link for Open Road. Here's the link, Open Road is one of those sites where car nerds can write stories about cool poo poo and submit it. Open Road would probably be pretty interested in this story because it's both cool and bonkers, so one of you guys should write something up and send it in. Probably Dick-Riff. Actually, definitely Dick-Riff.

Will Autoblog pay me for the tumblr because Hulk Hogan didn't sue them into the ground?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Will Autoblog pay me for the tumblr because Hulk Hogan didn't sue them into the ground?

I don't know what they pay for Open Road stuff, if anything. You'd need to write actual articles about the process of the project, though. Also, there's a tumblr about this?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I don't know what they pay for Open Road stuff, if anything. You'd need to write actual articles about the process of the project, though. Also, there's a tumblr about this?

No, I have a tumblr that's stream of consciousness rambling about entrepreneurship in the automotive industry.

quote:

They called it the Witchgrinder. It made horsepower the same way that throwing a running circular saw with the trigger ziptied down into a child’s pizza party made fun for the whole family. I knew I was onto something special when the President Himself called me halfway through wiring up the Megasquirt harness and offered me a brand new Lincoln Continental if I’d stop.

Well, the Lincoln Continental is FWD now, isn’t it, Mr. President?

I could hear the gasps and the panic-attack hyperventilation of the other car-show competitors when the massive mill swiftly hurled inch-thick columns of flame out of the car’s side exit exhaust every time the ITBs slammed shut on throttle lift. Richer than me, I liked to tell my friends. But nobody would truly understand the Witchgrinder like the many civilians who interrogated me at gas stations, trying to slot it into their internal mental model of what cars were.

One man - and I remain forever envious of him for weathering the transition so well - asked me if it was some kind of new Mustang from Japan. I looked at him from above my mirrorshades, set the lock on the high-pressure E85 pump nozzle, and wordlessly flipped open the front-hinged hood. He gazed deep into the heart of the monster, and I could see his pupils dilate in a textbook fear response. His sacrifice won’t be forgotten: I last saw him sitting against the pump in a puddle of his own urine, repeating the words “who is Datsun?” to an uncaring sky.

Smeared in neon as it idled through downtown, the Witchgrinder looked for all the world like a Jaguar E-Type on fire. Sometimes I would wonder why the gas station people never wanted to know about me. Maybe they didn’t want to entertain the possibility that I was a closer relative to them than the carbon-fibre-and-knives Z was to their Camry.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
If there's any media coverage of this at all, be it mass, indie, or whatever, it must include this post:

rndmnmbr posted:

If there was one thing you could absolutely trust 14" to do, it was walk into the mouth of madness and bring something hosed up but functional back out.

The replacement engine, a Chevy 292, was waiting on them when they arrived. 14" just shrugged, downed another foil package of Chinese off-brand herbal ADHD medications, and said "It's a start."

Where he acquired a Wärtsilä RTA96C in the middle of Nebraska - let alone the eight Lycoming radials powering the massive roots blower feeding air into the monstrosity - we will never know. The 292 did get used, powering the fuel pump delivering 637.3 gallons of nitromethane per minute the hulk required. We did discover where the twin Pratt & Whitney F119 turbojet engines powering the turbos came from - the Army still tells tales of the madman with an impact driver they couldn't stop with a tank that exciting July night. And surprisingly, it all fit in the truck, although lesser men would be driven mad with just a glimpse of the non-Euclidean geometry under the hood.

The steering wheel in the cab was the tiniest wheel they could order out of China, in order to fit the bewildering array of shifters surrounding the driver's seat. He started with the gearbox from the ship, tied to a vast array of 15-speed truck transmissions, hydrostatic drives stolen in broad daylight from three different tractor shops, and Lenco planetary gearsets swiped from research labs in Japan.

No one else had the balls to crawl into the driver's seat. But 14", when he goosed that big ship engine and eased out on all three clutches, the steel Abrahms tank treads that replaced the rear wheels would leave burnout marks six inches deep on reinforced concrete.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Tommychu posted:

As long as it doesn't turn into Schism we'll be alright I think.

"I know the pieces fit 'cause I watched them fall away
Mildewed and smoldering. Fundamental
differing."
"I know the pieces fit 'Cause I watched them tumble down"
"There was a time that the pieces fit"

Yep.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

No, I have a tumblr that's stream of consciousness rambling about entrepreneurship in the automotive industry.

Wow.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So today I bought one of the most important parts of any car project:
SWEET HOOD BLING

:whatup:

In other news, talks have been in happening with Scuz, and it looks like we are go for using the Roadmaster for parts, but we've hit a bit of a snag in the moving Logistics.
So, he's willing to either:
1. drive them all the way to the jobsite, if he can find a place to crash for the night along the way, or
2. Have somone meet him in Sioux Falls/Sioux City for the final leg

Worst comes to worst, I'm totally willing to pay for a hotel for the night, and guarantee him that it will be nothing but the finest, seediest, hourly rate motel money can buy.
So if anyone has a couch to spare, it'd be appreciated, but not necessary.

kastein posted:

That Roadmaster has a completely different transmission (700R4 or 4L60e I think?) than the 1951 truck - and not only that it's auto vs manual. I'm not sure why the bellhousing is on the list?

Regardless, it will fit if you don't care about your interior or suspension, for sure. Getting it in while it's hanging from an engine crane may not work out well due to the extra height.

I do think an LT1 1951 truck would be awesome, just saying that the transmission stuff from the donor is probably irrelevant here. It also has a flexplate and a torque converter, not a flywheel.

e: depending on your plans, you should grab the entirety of the wiring harness in the engine compartment, plus dash wiring and the fuel system and stuff as well. It's pretty light and if you want to keep the LT1 EFI, it will help a lot. If you're going to just strap a carb on clearly there's no point in doing this, though, and that's not really anything I'm going to argue over seeing as it's ancient dumb EFI and the truck was carbed in the first place anyways.

I reed gud. :downs:

Not that it matters, Chevy V8 truck bellhousing are plentiful and cheap on eBay it would seem, so this is a non-issue.
It would seem Chevy didn't change much WRT bolt patterns from about 1940 - 1999.

As for carb vs. EFI. I think this engine's gonna be carbed for now, especially since they make that conversion plate for it. One less thing to wire and have to worry about.
Though later on in it's life, when I have time to play with it, with a different engine, I probably will step it up to some kinda injection apparatus.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm hoping this won't be an issue, but double check crank flange offset from the BH face on the LT1 vs whatever V8 would have gone on the truck bellhousing you intend to use. I don't know if they will be the same, though I think the weird length ones are from the early 00s and are some LQ4s/9s not LT1s. Still, would suck to find out too late to do anything about it.

Also, make sure that you know what combo of clutch disc (that one is 100% going to be asbestos or leather or something, fyi), pressure plate, throwout bearing, and flywheel will work with that bellhousing, that engine, and that transmission. As well as the starter motor - there was some flywheel diameter and starter ring gear tooth count variation over the last 60 years. Oh, check pilot bearing ID requirement from the input shaft on the trans, input shaft length (it needs to reach the engine, but not be too long), and the outside diameter of the pilot bearing, which needs to be an interference fit into either the flywheel or the crank end depending on how chevy set it up. All fairly simple problems, but they are far simpler if you think about them ahead of time so it all Just Bolts Together when you get there.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I mean it wont, but it would be nice I agree

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Can you really not find a sbc near where the truck is? I'd think you'd want to go with an older, gen1, 2-piece rear main seal (since they changed the crank bolt circle when they moved to 1-piece, iirc) sbc so that a lot of the legos still apply. Also, those LT1s don't have the spot for the mechanical fuel pump anymore, do they? Just seems kind of like jumping the gun on this motor, especially since the car doesn't have anything else you can use.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Perhaps we could, but this just seems like a good deal for what it is, since it'll provide other parts, like the radiator, appropriate hoses, etc for pretty much the same price.
Also, ADVENTURE. But I'm keeping my options open. We won't be getting out there til after summer anyways, so plenty of time for other options to pop up.

kastein posted:

I'm hoping this won't be an issue, but double check crank flange offset from the BH face on the LT1 vs whatever V8 would have gone on the truck bellhousing you intend to use. I don't know if they will be the same, though I think the weird length ones are from the early 00s and are some LQ4s/9s not LT1s. Still, would suck to find out too late to do anything about it.

Also, make sure that you know what combo of clutch disc (that one is 100% going to be asbestos or leather or something, fyi), pressure plate, throwout bearing, and flywheel will work with that bellhousing, that engine, and that transmission. As well as the starter motor - there was some flywheel diameter and starter ring gear tooth count variation over the last 60 years. Oh, check pilot bearing ID requirement from the input shaft on the trans, input shaft length (it needs to reach the engine, but not be too long), and the outside diameter of the pilot bearing, which needs to be an interference fit into either the flywheel or the crank end depending on how chevy set it up. All fairly simple problems, but they are far simpler if you think about them ahead of time so it all Just Bolts Together when you get there.

Yeah, I'm trying to learn as much as I can about this before I head out there.
According to the stovebolt people, most stuff, post 1986, should bolt up with a minimum of issues.
http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/engines/bellhousings.html

Here's their take on it:

Stovebolt Dude posted:

Almost all trucks came with the 14" 168 tooth flywheel drilled for either the 10 1/2" or the 11" clutch. There may have been a few drilled for both sizes, but no one I talked with has ever seen one.

The bolt pattern for the flywheel to crankshaft changed in 1986, but the bolt pattern for the clutch stayed the same.

In 1986, Chevy engines went from a two piece rear main seal to a one piece rear main seal. The hole in the center of the flywheel and the bolt pattern changed completely, but the clutch pattern stayed the same. This means that if you put a 1986 or later engine into your truck, it will all bolt up -- except for the flywheel. You have to use one with an 1986 or later bolt pattern. Your clutch, V8 bell housing and most transmissions will bolt up.

So if scuz can yank the flywheel out of the Roadmaster, it should fit. If this is to be believed anyways.
If we yank one out of a similar late model Chevy, it should fit. Junkyard HO! E^2: Cheap and plentiful online it would seem. Awesome.

As far as the input shaft goes:
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transmissions/manual/sm420

Novak Dude posted:

The common GM SM420 has a 1-1/8" diameter, ten spline input shaft that has a stick-out of 6-1/2" from the front face of the transmission. The pilot tip is ~19/32" in diameter. The front bearing retainer flange measures 4-11/16" and the bearing retainer tube is 1-3/8" in diameter. The front bolt pattern is the consistent GM Muncie / Saginaw four-bolt pattern as found on GM bellhousings and transmissions from the 1940's through the 1990's.

The SM420 most commonly has a large, 10-spline output mainshaft for both 2wd and 4wd versions. Some fairly rare 2wd models (likely the 2-ton versions) featured a 35-spline and a male threaded output. These versions also have a rare, 22-spline first gear journal, instead of the usual 11-spline "skip-tooth" journal.

VV Crap, you're right. TO THE JUNKYARD! VV

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 5, 2016

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ExplodingSims posted:

So if scuz can yank the flywheel out of the Roadmaster, it should fit.

Reminder that the Roadmaster is an automatic. It's got a flexplate.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
All things automatic should be burned at the stake for automotive heresy.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Do you advance and retard your own ignition timing?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
That's what the cables going through the dash are for.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Cakefool posted:

Do you advance and retard your own ignition timing?

50% of people who claims to know how to it are lying. And people who boast supremacy of manuals don't take them out of cars often. I would much rather be jerking auto trannys then man trannys all day long.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Actually, the automatics in my parents' Audi Q5 and Porsche Boxster are pretty nice.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The 8 speed in my Challenger Scat Pack is pretty decent and has paddle shift

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

SouthsideSaint posted:

50% of people who claims to know how to it are lying. And people who boast supremacy of manuals don't take them out of cars often. I would much rather be jerking auto trannys then man trannys all day long.

I know how to swap a clutch out on a Miata, but when it goes on this one I'm paying someone else to do it :colbert:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

ExplodingSims posted:

Perhaps we could, but this just seems like a good deal for what it is, since it'll provide other parts, like the radiator, appropriate hoses, etc for pretty much the same price.
Also, ADVENTURE. But I'm keeping my options open. We won't be getting out there til after summer anyways, so plenty of time for other options to pop up.

Yeah, I'm trying to learn as much as I can about this before I head out there.
According to the stovebolt people, most stuff, post 1986, should bolt up with a minimum of issues.

Here's their take on it:

So if scuz can yank the flywheel out of the Roadmaster, it should fit. If this is to be believed anyways.
If we yank one out of a similar late model Chevy, it should fit. Junkyard HO! E^2: Cheap and plentiful online it would seem. Awesome.

As far as the input shaft goes:
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transmissions/manual/sm420

VV Crap, you're right. TO THE JUNKYARD! VV

Just buy new... flywheels are cheap. Not worth dicking around pulling an engine or trans in the yard to get at the drat flywheel. Looks like a Sachs NFW1023 for a 93 K2500 with the small V8 has the right tooth count and is 56 bucks on RA, not sure it is the right one but prices are usually around that much for single mass cast iron flywheels.

E: remember that flywheels are thicker than flexplates and you will need a new set of flywheel bolts as well. They are cheap too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fermented Tinal posted:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

Actually, the automatics in my parents' Audi Q5 and Porsche Boxster are pretty nice.

Dual clutch shifters are faster at gear changes than anyone with a manual can be.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 5, 2016

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

kastein posted:

Just buy new... flywheels are cheap. Not worth dicking around pulling an engine or trans in the yard to get at the drat flywheel. Looks like a Sachs NFW1023 for a 93 K2500 with the small V8 has the right tooth count and is 56 bucks on RA, not sure it is the right one but prices are usually around that much for single mass cast iron flywheels.

E: remember that flywheels are thicker than flexplates and you will need a new set of flywheel bolts as well. They are cheap too.

So, I looked that up. and here's the info on it:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1383877&jsn=791
This is the one you're talking about right? 14.25" so it might be a hair bigger than the original, but I can't seem to find any exact info on the originals. Most say 14", but I'm not sure if that's exact. I guess as long as it bolts to a 11" clutch it'll be fine.

But more research is to be done.
Also looks like a different starter will have to be used, once I locate the appropriate bellhousing to fit all this.

Now this is the recommended type of bellhousing to use with 350 swaps. (At least according to the internet)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-62-Che...aJXTJUm&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cast-Iron-B...5pXPicL&vxp=mtr

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 5, 2016

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

tater_salad posted:

Dual clutch shifters are faster at gear changes than anyone with a manual can be.

They are, and both vehicles shift so smoothly you barely feel them.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I like rowing through gears. Long live analogue driving.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Can someone explain the difference difference between the LT1 in a Roadmaster and and LT1 in a Corvette?
Can I use the flywheel for a Corvette in this engine? Granted, it will take the tooth count down to 153, but apparently Chevy used a flywheel with 153 toothcount in an earlier run.

Stovebolt dude posted:

There are three common starter bolt patterns for the V8 or late six. The earlier ones bolt to the bellhousing with three bolts. All those are for the 168 tooth flywheel. The other two types bolt up from the bottom and to the engine block. The starter with the two bolt holes 90 degrees to the crankshaft is for the 153 tooth flywheel. The starter with the bolt holes about 45 degrees to the crankshaft is for the 168 tooth flywheel.

Use whatever starter your bellhousing requires. Late starters will not work with early bellhousings due to starter nose interference.

Beginning with the first Chevy V8 in 1955, all V8 flywheels are either 14" diameter with 168 teeth, or 12 3/4" with 153 teeth. There are no other sizes. The early 168 tooth flywheels have a bolt pattern for a 10 1/2" clutch. The later 168 tooth flywheels have a bolt pattern for an 11" clutch.

So I guess the trick then would be finding the right bellhousing/starter combo? Or am I'm just sleep deprived and missing something obvious here?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ExplodingSims posted:

Can someone explain the difference difference between the LT1 in a Roadmaster and and LT1 in a Corvette?

I think it comes down to different heads, cam, possibly intake, and certainly tune. I'm pretty sure the shortblock is the same.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I thought Corvettes got aluminum blocks and not just aluminum heads, but I could be very wrong here. It was very much a case where LT1 didn't mean the same thing across the board, though, and not by just what had to be changed to go from Y-body to F-body to B-body.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I thought Corvettes got aluminum blocks and not just aluminum heads, but I could be very wrong here. It was very much a case where LT1 didn't mean the same thing across the board, though, and not by just what had to be changed to go from Y-body to F-body to B-body.

Oh, is that so? I didn't know they had all-aluminum LT1s.

E: Apparently, B-body LT1s were often 2-bolt main, whereas Vette ones were usually 4-bolt. But according to a page I found, both blocks have the same casting number.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 6, 2016

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Does that generation of Corvette still use a torque tube and a rear mounted transaxle? I think that might make a difference for the clutch/flywheel setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I am going to pretend I am the Gen II small block AI expert.

Corvette LT1s have 4 bolt mains. You have to pull the pan to confirm. Roadmasters and caprices have cast iron heads, camaros and corvettes have aluminium heads. The corvette flywheel is a dual mass cluster gently caress made to make the balls to the wall six speed less clunky. These are expensive. The camaro flywheel bolts on but you have to use a different disc to fit the vette sixspeed but this is probably not applicable here. A lot of 1996 camaros got the corvette LT4 version of the LT1 because the factory had them and the vette was not getting them anymore. This was also the replacement engine shipped out to save on warehousing. Also irrelevant. Most 150K examples of this engine have perfectly crosshatched bores still inside and need almost not work to get back to like new condition. I mean after 50 years of casting these blocks are made and machined right. All LT1 corvettes have a proper transmission bolted to the engine like god intended.

The cast iron head flows better but sometimes overheats in performance applications.

Edit: There is no aluminium block LT1 or LT4 second generation.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 6, 2016

• Locked thread