Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Lakbay posted:

Do you or anyone else have any other beginner tips? I caved and bought it for android despite the lovely controls/interface but I'm saving it for a long plane flight in a couple of weeks.

I'm still pretty early on, I only found out about the throne and magic academy because I knew it existed but didn't know where and I looked it up. The best I've got so far is:

- At the literal start of the game when you're picking a character's name and gender (minor spoiler: it's the final emperor that you do the endgame with) go female. It'll become relevant at the very end of the game. (the final boss is a super rear end in a top hat and one attack inflicts charm on all males in the party).

- The 'D' button will make you walk/dash instead of walking/dashing. When you dash and touch an enemy or get back attacked you're forced into the Free For All formation.

- Gear is free in your territory. Merchants will give you items you buy and refuse payment. However most character (so far) come with the best gear they can get so v:v:v

- Once you get an open spot in your party go find a court mage and recruit the wind / aerology caster. He also gets water magic which gives you healing magic. Also load up empty weapon slots with Balms.

- Expect characters just to be OHKO'd or hosed by random turn order and enemy targeting. Save your LP restoration items until it's necessary. Don't forget that all it takes to get a character at 0 HP back up is to just heal their HP.

- kill all mandrakes. They get party-wide sleep and some other screw-you move. They'll spam it and gently caress up your entire party. Only the Emperor can make the party flee so you can find yourself in trouble against them.

- Fleeing seems to have a 100% success rate whenever it's available. You don't get much of a grace period, if any, between fleeing one encounter and when it can fight you again. I've gotten through walls of encounters just by fleeing and trying to move. You can also flee and refight to reroll the monster formation.

- When the Canal Fortress opens up do the Thieves Guild quest in Avalon first. It's short (go to bed in the palace and you'll wake up at night. Go to the weapon shop in the upper-left corner of town, go up the chimney, run across the rooftops to the wall and castle, talk to the Thief, and save her from the monsters. Go to the pub and follow the quest from there). You'll get a much easier version of the Canal fortress this way that saves you money and points out where all the loot is.

- Generation changes happen when you do too many fights, complete too many quests, or complete major quests.

- If you fight a doppleganger chest just run. You don't get anything for killing it and they are hardy motherfuckers.

- Characters drop their gear in the storage when they leave.

- In the dungeon town there's a charm resist item hidden behind a fireplace. I missed it and I can't go back there and there's so few of them in the game. Make sure to look for it.

- Once you enter your second generation you can go to trainers in the formation room in Avalon to assign weapon skills you've learned to your party.

That's all I can think of so far. The swingyness of fights is kinda rough and the controls are bad. I'm still not entirely sure what I'm doing or if I'm making good choices. My light sword users (the first of which is called a Flail) never seem to do much damage. It's very much a SNES RPG with half a facelift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Thanks for the tips. I've heard rumors about the final boss being the hardest of the SNES era JRPGs but we'll see if I get that far.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Morpheus posted:

Look on the bright side, now the no-female-protagonist thing is really a good thing.

i, for one, can't wait to play the game where battle damage takes prompto down to his skivvies

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

i, for one, can't wait to play the game where battle damage takes prompto down to his skivvies

same, but unironically

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i resent the insinuation that i was being ironic

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Isn't that the mechanic in Akiba's Trip

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Morpheus posted:

Isn't that the mechanic in Akiba's Trip

yes, and it's the least enjoyable part of the game

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It's also gonna be in Nier 2.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
White Dragon enjoys when games take cues from his favorite game, 3rd Birthday

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is good when men get stripped and bad when women get stripped.

duh.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Nox is free on Origin if anyone wants to give a fun Diablo 2 clone a try at no cost.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Verranicus posted:

Nox is free on Origin if anyone wants to give a fun Diablo 2 clone a try at no cost.

Couple corrections: One, Diablo 2 came out nearly six months after Nox. Two, calling them similar is disingenuous, other than the basic action-rpg point-of-view (I think it might've been WASD to control). Nox had three classes that varied wildly in gameplay, even changing the path you took through the game and changing cutscenes. And three, unlike Diablo, it wasn't about the loot grind (drops might've been fixed, if I remember).

Nox is an awesome game.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

FFXV Questionnaire posted:

You’ll get a “Game Over” if you fail to land the car from flight. It’s not that difficult, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqpcADJfwG0

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The rest of it:

quote:

You can’t climb.

There is a system similar to a skill tree. You can also learn new abilities.

The game isn’t set in an open world where you can freely go wherever you like. Since there is a main quest, the more you progress, the more places you’ll be able to go.

The action isn’t very difficult. It’s an RPG through and through that everyone can enjoy. The game will have difficulty settings, which will be discussed more at E3.

The second episode of Brotherhood: Final Fantasy XV will come out around E3.

There are seven types of standard weapon categories, and each category has a variety of weapons. Combined with the Phantom Sword, there are even more categories within itself.

There won’t be a gallery mode in the final version, but there are plans to make it after the game is finished. There are no plans for a camera mode.

Cars are faster than chocobos.

The white-hooded man from the E3 2013 trailer is still in the game.

In response to a user concerned about the “downgraded” graphics of the Platinum Demo, who asked when we’ll see the graphics of the actual product, the response was “Please look forward to E3.”

On putting out an Ignis’ Cookbook: “If you’re in publishing, by all means make us an offer.”

There are no plans for an Ultimate Edition without the Noctis figure.

You can’t control the boat. You can control the camera, however.

There aren’t just 10 songs from previous Final Fantasy games to listen to in the car—there’s an abundance of songs to enjoy. Since there are law restrictions and such per country, being able to play your own music in the game is a difficult thing to implement.

You can save at any time (not just at camp).

You can return to areas you’ve previously visited so long as it’s before the last boss.

You can fast travel by choosing camp sites and such from the map.

In response to “Why did you develop this game for 10 years?” Tabata said it’s not like they decided from the beginning that they were going to develop the game for that long.

Facial and hair designs for Prompto were altered after receiving negative feedback so that users around the world would better receive the game.
Hajime Tabata’s favorite character is Noctis, and Akio Ofuji’s is Prompto.

There are no plans to release a Soldier-style Cloud costume from the Final Fantasy VII movie as downloadable content.

You’ll get a “Game Over” if you fail to land the car from flight. It’s not that difficult, though.

There are many parts based on the real experiences of the staff. Some of it is also influenced by a trip to Europe that Tabata went on in his 20s.
You can give chocobos buffs through meals.

The Lucis government is a friendly one. Compared to the Shinzo Abe administration… “let’s stop there.”

Tabata wants to release a bundle, but that’s up to Sony Interactive Entertainment. He’d like if it could happen.

After development on the game wraps up, Tabata promised SaGa creator Akitoshi Kawazu that he would clear Final Fantasy II.

Tabata is planning a countdown to midnight release live stream on September 29.

Tabata attributes Noctis drinking Ebony in Brotherhood to the behavior of a young person drinking coffee to be cool, since Noctis says he hates it in Episode Duscae.

The name Ebony, which is both the name of the development engine and Ignis’ favorite coffee, comes from the color black, which is the key color of Final Fantasy XV (and the color the coffee). Since there’s already an Ebony Coffee in New Zealand, they might not be able to use the name overseas.

Justice Monsters‘ release timing will be announced immediately following E3.

A “Day 0 Edition” Active Time Report is planned for June 13, the day before E3.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Stripping as a damage mechanic is pandering and dumb across the board. I have always wanted to see a battle damage thing though, like your armor gets dents or breaks where it gets hit and you get cuts and bruising. Maybe even loss of limbs and stuff like that, sort of like some mech games have done.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
If you guys thought Akibas Trip was bad like that, go look up videos of the Queens Blade strategy games for PSP.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thanks for the hot tip, im gonna go queue up the 70 clothing destruction videos from that game. 'ironically.' for cringe purposes.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Verranicus posted:

If you guys thought Akibas Trip was bad like that, go look up videos of the Queens Blade strategy games for PSP.

I remember the Madoka Magica cameo being surprisingly reserved, which made it seem even more out of place in a game like that.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh i think that whole part of akiba's trip is less objectionable than how terrible the combat system built around it is. there are things in the game i actually really like but pretty much none of them are in that part of the game

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
akiba's trip is a lovely game but it's too fun for it's own good and bashing people with a lockbox never gets old

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
FFX has to be my least favorite FF. The sphere grid is a neat idea but everything else just makes me cry.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
every part of akiba's trip where you're just walking around akihabara or reading goofy text and interacting with characters is good. i think it would be a really good game if it either had no combat at all or had better combat and also found a way to not make you replay the first half of the game for each and every route

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

the game is entirely dreadful on vita though

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

voltcatfish posted:

the game is entirely dreadful on vita though

i can imagine. i played the pc port with a community made tool that forces the game to run in 60fps so it looked at least slightly less assy to me but it didn't really fix the controls and overall you really shouldn't play on anything higher than casual if you want to be a remotely enjoyable experience

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 31, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

imagine the same game but every fight runs at about 12 fps

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
try playing the game on easy and just cheesing through combat to get to the parts that are actually good

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Reason posted:

FFX has to be my least favorite FF. The sphere grid is a neat idea but everything else just makes me cry.

i didn't care for the sphere grid too much. in the american version, it's basically the same as just...leveling up. you just have to make manual inputs now. Maybe it's better in the international version.

I liked the rest of the game though. I like the water theme, the islands are pretty, and I think tidus' character is really good, but also, the impact of the things he says is severely hamstrung by the way his voice actor delivers...every line.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
I just got done playing FFX with the expert sphere grid funny enough, is that closer to what the game originally had? It's kind of confusing on expert and I just ended up looking at a guide for what each character should probably have gone through in the first place. Except for Yuna. I made her stronger than Auron because of course.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No the Expert grid was added for the international version, the normal one was in the original version of the game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I played some older flight games with a joystick and had no cutscenes for landing. Top Gun looks hand-holdy in comparison. Better remember to lower your wheels.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

The standard sphere grid is the same system as the expert one but the layout is different, Everybody is 'locked' into their own branch of the grid. There's a few offshoots for some extra stats or abilities and you can use key spheres at certain parts to get one character to hop onto another's branch. Once you get to the end of a branch it just leads into the middle of somebody else's. Khimari is the exception as he doesn't get his own branch but some little hub area that leads to the start of a few characters and he'll end up behind everybody else because of this. There's more nodes in the standard grid but that only matters if you're insane about min/max.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GulagDolls posted:

i didn't care for the sphere grid too much. in the american version, it's basically the same as just...leveling up. you just have to make manual inputs now. Maybe it's better in the international version.

I liked the rest of the game though. I like the water theme, the islands are pretty, and I think tidus' character is really good, but also, the impact of the things he says is severely hamstrung by the way his voice actor delivers...every line.

Yeah the voice acting is absolutely atrocious. The sphere grid is a good idea, but because you have to grind for some of the more interesting sphere items like master spheres and warp spheres it falls flat. I also didn't like how exp was given out. One of the biggest problems is that monster variety is pretty poor and you fight the same four or five different monsters in each area with color variations. I think besides boss monsters you see almost every monster in the first couple areas of the game and because the random encounter rate is so high you(it has to be the highest of the FF games) spend a huge amount of time in battles with the same five or six enemies until mid game soldiers and late game tomb creatures. With the simple rock paper scissors formula it felt like they tried to distill combat down to its basics and that ended up making it kind of boring. The set pieces are also pretty forgettable, there's only a couple that really stand out in my mind.

The boring monster design coupled with uninspired set pieces makes the game kind of blur into one constant grind. A good example is when you finally go inside Sin at the end instead of something like fighting down the staircase in the ruins on Sins head you just teleport into some area that doesn't seem like it would be inside a monster, and then you fight Seymour... again which doesn't make any loving sense because you killed super Seymour already and there would be no reason for him to be inside Sin.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Reason posted:

I think besides boss monsters you see almost every monster in the first couple areas of the game and because the random encounter rate is so high you(it has to be the highest of the FF games)

Hahahaha

No. No FFX is not the highest encounter rate by a long shot.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
While FFX doesn't have the highest encounter rate in the series by a long shot, it can certainly feel that way when you're walking up Mt. Gagazet.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

thanks for the hot tip, im gonna go queue up the 70 clothing destruction videos from that game. 'ironically.' for cringe purposes.

same

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think I hear the sound of nerds liking FFX in here!

I think this might be agreeable for you all should you decide to play the sequel as well. :)

http://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasyxx2hdremaster/mods/15/

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

I just got done playing FFX with the expert sphere grid funny enough, is that closer to what the game originally had? It's kind of confusing on expert and I just ended up looking at a guide for what each character should probably have gone through in the first place. Except for Yuna. I made her stronger than Auron because of course.

Ok, it really isn't that confusing. The expert grid is basically the same thing as the normal one, except that everyone starts from more or less the same point and there's a few crossovers that don't require you to break locks. If you don't care to mess around, just follow the line towards the black magic for Lulu, the stat attacks for Wakka, and so forth. The lines are still extremely linear.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Fear the tiddy, the uncovered leg, the midriff for it shall guide you down the path of sin.

*Applies bad gradient color texture up the entirety of a characters lower body*

More seriously, I can understand the sentiment of that mod, but boy that's a really really poor way to do it. It looks a bit wonky and the new outfits kind of look like knit pull overs and thick stockings which is a dumb redesign choice when they're running around the tropical hellzone that is Spira.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 2, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

More seriously, I can understand the sentiment of that mod, but boy that's a really really poor way to do it. It looks a bit wonky and the new outfits kind of look like knit pull overs and thick stockings which is a dumb redesign choice when they're running around the tropical hellzone that is Spira.
:confused: There is at least one part of Spira that is explicitly super cold, and most of it other than the Besaid/Kilika area is pretty temperate?

The tights look really bad, but I appreciate the Actual Goddamn Shirt for Rikku and the tank top for Paine, and there are no tights options in the files so I might just download this :shobon: The original designs can get kind of weird and male-gazey so I appreciate being able to put them in clothes actual people would wear, sort of.

e: Also in what world are tank tops and leggings "knit pullovers and thick stockings"? I dunno what's up with this post in general

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I think I hear the sound of nerds liking FFX in here!

I think this might be agreeable for you all should you decide to play the sequel as well. :)

http://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasyxx2hdremaster/mods/15/

quote:

If you're curious, it's not so hard to figure out what I mean. Ideally every woman should dress the way she likes, if you think you have the right to judge what is appropriate or not and FORCE them to wear what you think is better, you undermined her judgment as an inferior person. Like the muslims do with their women.

The sole purpose of this game IS to see them in sexy outfits. This game should not be treated as a Final Fantasy game, all the others have the plot as the main reason to play, this game has a retarded plot, the gameplay is not great either, many other FF have better gameplay so if you choose to play this game you only do it cause of the sexy girls.
So why do YOU like this game if not for the girls? You think you're better than other people if you deny this?