Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012
That moment in the ending where Magnolia tells Yew to show her his coup de gravy :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Soul Mirror apparently gets around 85% Evade.

Actually it doesn't. And even then, it won't cause Firstborn to be knocked down.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Oh okay for some of the catmancy skills you have to charm enemies in order for them to use them. I guess I should charm with the cake job?

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
Ba'als are hard when they're not level one. NG+ questions

When the moon is gone and all the random encounters are Ba'als, how strong are they. The only one I can manage is the Urchin but the others just crush me. Is it to pressure you to start NG+ asap or am I just bad.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

You're supposed to NG+ ASAP to advance the plot, yeah. Just remember that you've got a command aside from Attack during the first battle.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well I finished off getting all the titles. The last thing I had to do ended up being fight two turtledoves, which made me chuckle.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Oh okay for some of the catmancy skills you have to charm enemies in order for them to use them. I guess I should charm with the cake job?

Or you can confuse them with that butterfly Catmancy. And later on you can get a job that makes it easy. Or you can stick confuse/charm on a special move and use that.

Tipme posted:

Ba'als are hard when they're not level one. NG+ questions

When the moon is gone and all the random encounters are Ba'als, how strong are they. The only one I can manage is the Urchin but the others just crush me. Is it to pressure you to start NG+ asap or am I just bad.

They're quite strong, but it's more a case of unless you're trying to fill the bestiary you may as well go straight on to NG+ since you can't carry on the story until you do and they're not exactly worthwhile grinding either.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What doesn't carry over to NG+?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Everything carries over by default unless you specify otherwise, for whatever the hell reason.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
How the hell am I getting away with paralyzing so many bosses?

Is Patissier secretly... powerful?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Secretly?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Patissier is no Salvemaker, but it is still a powerful job. It's a fantastic encounter clearer too with the death cakes.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
How do you boost Mind to make stuff like paralyze hit? Besides going to a healer class.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Last Celebration posted:

How do you boost Mind to make stuff like paralyze hit? Besides going to a healer class.

I'm pretty sure ailment success rates are based on Int rather than Mind. Aside from changing jobs, you could equip an accessory to increase it. You can also use enfeebling-type special moves like Withering Wave to lower your enemy's paralysis resistance before trying to land the ailment.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The most important thing is the Status Ailment Amp ability.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Catmancer damaging abilities run off of P. Atk, right? Even the ones that seem magical like Electrolysis? Or does it vary by skill?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Patissier is no Salvemaker, but it is still a powerful job. It's a fantastic encounter clearer too with the death cakes.

It is a sign of how god-awful broken Salvemaker is that a crippled version of it with only like 1/5th the capabilities is still one of the best jobs in the sequel.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Salvemaker is pretty much the Chemist from FFV, which was also one of the most broken jobs there. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was outright called the Chemist in the Japanese version of Default.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Leofish posted:

Catmancer damaging abilities run off of P. Atk, right? Even the ones that seem magical like Electrolysis? Or does it vary by skill?

It varies by skill, but like 95% of them use P. Attack. Basically anything with the sword icon (the ones most special skills in general have) use strength and the ones with a staff (pretty sure this is just Starlight, which is kind of a shame since so little resists Holy) use magic.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dr. Fetus posted:

... I never even thought of throwing death cakes to clear encounters. Typically your patissier can spam Flambe and clear out an encounter that way too though. Right now my Magnolia is Kaiser/Patissier so she does the 200% attack boost first and clears out any encounter

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Last Celebration posted:

It varies by skill, but like 95% of them use P. Attack. Basically anything with the sword icon (the ones most special skills in general have) use strength and the ones with a staff (pretty sure this is just Starlight, which is kind of a shame since so little resists Holy) use magic.

Oh my God, why did I not think of the little icons? Thank you for your help. I'll stick with claws on my cat/pat, then. I was tempted to go with staff to boost the opportunity of the first special coming up for extra BP, but the 2nd knuckle special pops often enough at the rate I use items.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I finally beat this game after getting it a week or two after launch. It is a good game. I should have played on hard though, and I wish it had the asterisk boss clusters Bravely Default had in the last two chapters.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You can change the difficulty at any time though so it was easy to just switch over to Hard if you felt like it

Agreed on the second part though

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I wish there were more gimmicky and interesting asterisks like the exorcist and guardian instead of dumping a lot of the old ones back in. I am glad that obliterate is back however since I'm at the grind all jobs to max phase of the game.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Marogareh posted:

I wish there were more gimmicky and interesting asterisks like the exorcist and guardian instead of dumping a lot of the old ones back in. I am glad that obliterate is back however since I'm at the grind all jobs to max phase of the game.

It's easier to do without obliterate now, but I am glad it's back in because it makes bestiary grinding much easier.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
So I'm browsing the earlier pages and apparently magic is super broken? I tried to have a mage early on but the actual wizard spells (i.e. the things you apply spiritcraft to) are crap, red mage is mediocre and I chose ranger over black mage. By the time I seriously had an opportunity to try maging I was a healer plus three Dual Wield + Triple/Quad Wield melee folks. Well I still killed all four of the final boss' phases in a single brave flurry each so given that I don't care about postgame it probably doesn't matter that I wasn't optionally broken.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 2, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
You can apply Spellcraft to any magic at all

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

alcharagia posted:

You can apply Spellcraft to any magic at all

This includes summons, if you need an early-game hilariously OP nuke

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

This includes summons, if you need an early-game hilariously OP nuke

I chose swordmaster

Probably could have tried to work spellcraft into my healer build though, but multi-cast benediction and undo HP are already pretty powerful without any help so it didn't really matter in the end

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Bravely Second is a f*cking good game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I chose swordmaster

Probably could have tried to work spellcraft into my healer build though, but multi-cast benediction and undo HP are already pretty powerful without any help so it didn't really matter in the end

The big strength to spellcasted healing is that you can do Mist -> Resurrection or similar and short of a full party nuke you can't die.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
Bishop is a really cool class because it's a healing class that functions totally independent of spellpower. It's probably a bit too good at that, honestly, but it does mean as long as someone has the MP for it even physical dudes can use it.

The animation when Swordmaster triggers is so good I forgive myself for using it several turns in the row instead of just whacking someone in the face.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Bishop's only big weakness is that it's rear end at healing more than one person at a time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

Bishop's only big weakness is that it's rear end at healing more than one person at a time.

Yeah, but that can be trivially solved by getting the Group Mastery spell from White Mage at least.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Or.. you know.. spellcraft. Benediction mist first round, when things get rough resurrection mist.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah even without spellcraft Group Mastery benediction and Undo HP cover everything you could want besides multi-rezzing

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Vivify all, even without spellcraft it any abilities, is a nice top-us-off thing to do and you get it super early

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

cheetah7071 posted:

I chose swordmaster

SM is worth it for katana lore too. Katanas are basically one of the best weapon classes for much of the game cause they come with built in critical bonus.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I used white wind for all my in battle healing the entire game. I used resurrection mist for everything else and eventually reraise mist so I could stop slotting white mage or bishop magic.

I never came around on the iron wall builds or whatever. I use soul mirror for reflecting stuff if I ever needed it. I tried ghost stuff but I hated the aesthetics of it all.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Rascyc posted:

SM is worth it for katana lore too. Katanas are basically one of the best weapon classes for much of the game cause they come with built in critical bonus.

Katana critical bonus, so what

double katana big critical bonus, whoa okay good

triple katana biggest critical bonus, game over

katanas are the best weapon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What should I use for a BP amp to get 99 victory streak?

In terms of damage I feel like I should be mixing exorcist with dark night for massive damage but I'm not sure how to set these things up.

• Locked thread