Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Exmond posted:

The AI Cheats, and cheats blatantly , in the total war games. You can either mod it out or learn to deal with it.

This is an interesting statement of faith, but I'm saying you are seeing high-tier units coming out of a faction with a SPECIFIC MECHANIC for spawning instantly high tier units they don't have the tech for with a lucky die roll. If you see an empire secessionist bring out a steam tank in turn 3, then we can talk about cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The AI cheats because it's AI and if it didn't the game would be kinda dumb and easy. It's really only challenging because they get advantages.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Great Weapon Quarrellers are baaad, though I wonder if giving them Anti-Large melee is going too far in the other direction.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rakthar posted:

Like people are also wrong on stuff like doublecasting, how raise dead works, etc - it's a new videogame so people are going to not really know how it works very well.

Here's the thing: You can simply reinterpret every complaint about the specifics of what they think is happening as "It's loving annoying trying to kill the AI sitting in my lands." And yeah man, no matter how much you make fun of people for it, it can get annoying trying to run down a stack that doesn't want to be caught.

Yeah that's fine. I understand that a lot of stuff is not transparent and there is good reason for people to suspect cheating in some cases.

What gets me is when people just go straight from "do not understand" --------> "AI MUST BE CHEATING" with absolutely no hesitation or possibility in their mind that maybe there is information they just don't have.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
Hey Mazz, could you upload that dwarf city mod or just very briefly outline how it's done so I can so I can do it myself?
I tried poking through the mod tool but I've never done any Total War modding and it's kind of confusing.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Faffel posted:

If it's anything like DCS, the recording simply fails to represent a few things accurately and then everything goes progressively worse from there as the errors stack up. So it would fail to show you bank at a certain point, so by the end of the replay you end up in a total different spot from where you should've ended up in the replay. So no point.

Yeah, but in that case why even provide a replay system if its been poo poo broken for 3 games in the series? If they knew it didnt work after the first game why on earth didn't they fix it instead of just shoehorning it into the next 2 games? That doesn't make sense to me.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mazz posted:

The AI cheats because it's AI and if it didn't the game would be kinda dumb and easy. It's really only challenging because they get advantages.

^

This is distinct from 'chasing down armies is annoying', but yeah, ambush + heroes

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

toasterwarrior posted:

Great Weapon Quarrellers are baaad, though I wonder if giving them Anti-Large melee is going too far in the other direction.

I really don't get the point of them. The whole benefit of quarrelers is that they can trade fire with more squishy ranged units and reliably come out ahead. Losing the shield removes this advantage.

Great weapons in general seem iffy. They're more expensive, make the unit more vulnerable, and are only more effective vs some targets.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

Great weapons in general seem iffy. They're more expensive, make the unit more vulnerable, and are only more effective vs some targets.

I'd say Great weapons are for flanking, you dont want to use them in a stand up fight exactly, thats for any unit with decent armour +shields.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
Thanks to the people who recommended splitting off a second horde for chaos on turn 1. It was a game changer early on. I'm now at around turn 70 and consolidating my hold on the north with two fully grown hordes that are now focusing on fleshing out their recruitment buildings, but I've got a question - when about do people split off a third horde?

2 SPOOKY fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 2, 2016

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Gejnor posted:

I'd say Great weapons are for flanking, you dont want to use them in a stand up fight exactly, thats for any unit with decent armour +shields.

Unfortunately, Dwarven ranged flanking is far, far superior to Dwarven melee flanking.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I don't really mean to claim the AI always plays entirely fairly, but really what gets my goat is people failing to realise that many times these cases of AI 'cheating' is just the AI playing very reasonably to exploit mechanics you could, and should be also taking advantage of.

Edit: Great weapons is basically armour pierce, and whether that's good probably depends on who you are fighting. Do shields count as armour?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 2, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Halman posted:

Hey Mazz, could you upload that dwarf city mod or just very briefly outline how it's done so I can so I can do it myself?
I tried poking through the mod tool but I've never done any Total War modding and it's kind of confusing.

I plan to put up the dwarf and an empire version when I get home today, which should be in a couple hours I hope.

Found a bug with lumbermills and them having the "building" hammer icon show up when there is no tier IV upgrade that I want to fix first and didn't get to it last night while playing.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 2, 2016

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

toasterwarrior posted:

Unfortunately, Dwarven ranged flanking is far, far superior to Dwarven melee flanking.

Sure, but for other who have them, like graveguards with great weapons or technically the empire's greatswords (they are seen as great weapons more or less right?) you use them for the flanks.

Played a new Kemmler game today, and ive grown to love the Hex and Cairnwraiths. Sure, Mannfred and the Varghulf are a stronger start, the wraiths demand a bit more finesse to pay off but when they do its glorious. Also, it seems setting unit size to large makes the healing spells of the vampire lore much much stronger, nehek resses wraiths for instance even during fighting rather than giving a nearly pitiful heal (during combat i mean) so yeah until CA makes some scaling fixes im gonna stick with large for now as it overall makes spells more fun.

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 2, 2016

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Gejnor posted:

Sure, but for other who have them, like graveguards with great weapons or technically the empire's greatswords (they are seen as great weapons more or less right?) you use them for the flanks.

Oh yes, that's true. Still, it seems Great Weapon options for Dwarves are just there for completion's sake, because they sure as hell ain't great.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fangz posted:

I don't really mean to claim the AI always plays entirely fairly, but really what gets my goat is people failing to realise that many times these cases of AI 'cheating' is just the AI playing very reasonably to exploit mechanics you could, and should be also taking advantage of.

Yeah nobody is saying that AI doesn't cheat at all, or even that it shouldn't. It's just the hyperbole about perceived cheating from people who don't understand the game systems is really lol.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Oh yes, that's true. Still, it seems Great Weapon options for Dwarves are just there for completion's sake, because they sure as hell ain't great.

I don't like building Great Weapon Quarrelers for real armies, but the garrison version you get are kind of hilarious just because Orc Warbosses love to charge right into them and get murdered. Plus they're decent in defensive sieges generally where being able to hold a wall in a pinch is a more useful thing.

As for Longbeards with Greatweapons I use them as a poor-man's Hammerer, particularly for taking walls in sieges. Those Black Orcs just don't die if you try to grind them down without AP damage.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

madmac posted:

I don't like building Great Weapon Quarrelers for real armies, but the garrison version you get are kind of hilarious just because Orc Warbosses love to charge right into them and get murdered. Plus they're decent in defensive sieges generally where being able to hold a wall in a pinch is a more useful thing.

As for Longbeards with Greatweapons I use them as a poor-man's Hammerer, particularly for taking walls in sieges. Those Black Orcs just don't die if you try to grind them down without AP damage.

The only reason I got a heroic defeat or whatever it's called on chaos was because I charged my great weapon quarrelers into the flanks of enemy melee. I knew I wasn't going to win, but I sure as hell did as much damage as possible

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

madmac posted:

Hmm thinking on this, any greatweapon unit of any race just feels less survivable, but maybe they are best used for taking walls then where theres not much range fire or that much mobility to be flanked?

I was thinking on what toasterwarrior said and basically what he said about the dwarfs can be applied to all of them, just in different ways, empire can also use ranged flanking, or they can use cav, vampires can use any number of monster or cav unit instead of greatweapon graveguards and they will most likely be more effective.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Has anyone else noticed that almost every other Vampire Counts and Empire Lord/Hero is named Gunther or Gunter? Getting a bit sick of this.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gejnor posted:

Hmm thinking on this, any greatweapon unit of any race just feels less survivable, but maybe they are best used for taking walls then where theres not much range fire or that much mobility to be flanked?

I was thinking on what toasterwarrior said and basically what he said about the dwarfs can be applied to all of them, just in different ways, empire can also use ranged flanking, or they can use cav, vampires can use any number of monster or cav unit instead of greatweapon graveguards and they will most likely be more effective.

I like greatweapon graveguards. :saddowns:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Yah great weapons kinda get the same shaft slayers/hammerers get, and that's with the lack of armor and missile resistance the shields give everyone else they just tend to take a shitload of damage compared to the extra AP they put out. Also the AI knows to shoot at low armor targets with artillery, Grimgors doom divers will literally always fire at Thorgrims free hammerers in those early battles I've noticed.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Deified Data posted:

Hmm, had my first castle siege and thought I'd try it without siege weapons. It didn't go well. They take so long to build, though. Do they tip the balance enough to be worth camping several turns for?

Its not that bad, i prefer to autobattle sieges because they are really boring. You only need the siege towers since the ram is really slow and by the time to ever gets to the door, it will already be broken down.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Anybody got some good tips for early game Greenskins when you have to fight dwarves? Them having armor on everything while you have no access to AP besides your one unit of Black Orks makes them pretty hard to crack in the early game. Is the solution just to rush tech Boar Boyz as quickly as possible?

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
Man, empire versus high level dwarves is such a switch in tactics. The whole game I was stomping with largely state troops, but as soon as they throw tier 2/3 infantry stacks at them, they just gun you down with quarrelers and blasting charges while longbeards/hammerers hold your blobs in place.

I'm guessing adding in a bunch of cavalry will help tip the balance, but they've definitely been the toughest challenge for me in the game so far.

"He headbutted me in the groin!" is the greatest unit comment I've ever heard.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Gejnor posted:

Greatweapons are less survivable but better at killing, it's pretty much an across the board trade-off but it can be very worthwhile if you know what you're doing. Chaos Warriors/Chosen with Greatweapons are vastly better against dwarves than the regular versions even though they give up shields because all that dwarf armor makes AP damage incredible.

While Greatweapons are best used as flanking units, it's important to remember that they always beat equivalent heavy infantry with hand weapons, even in a head to head battle. Grave Guard with Greatweapons beat the poo poo out of Grave Guard with shields, which means they can easily collapse the center and allow different tactical options than the more defensive shield version.

If you want a good rule of thumb, Greatweapon units are for offensive strategies, while Handweapon/shield units are for defensive/holding tactics. If you want an infantry unit to stand in front of your ranged line, get shields. If you want to break through the enemy line and tear into those sweet crunchy ranged units, use greatweapons.

Greatweapons are also the best infantry to use as reserves. Put your shields up front, and then if anything threatens to break through or starts getting into your artillery you can use the greatweapons to kill them quickly and put the fire out.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp8645 posted:

What gets me is when people just go straight from "do not understand" --------> "AI MUST BE CHEATING" ---------->"I have installed mods to fix this" with absolutely no hesitation or possibility in their mind that maybe there is information they just don't have.

FTFY

I think there are still things to be sussed out and or patched. Hell cannons tend to die in buggy ways. Good thing we have more DLC, races, and map to add and fix.

Just did empire long victory by turn 113. Make friends with dwarves, crossbowmen kill giants well, always get troop buffing skills on general to level three.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Chomp8645 posted:

Anybody got some good tips for early game Greenskins when you have to fight dwarves? Them having armor on everything while you have no access to AP besides your one unit of Black Orks makes them pretty hard to crack in the early game. Is the solution just to rush tech Boar Boyz as quickly as possible?

They haven't got the best Leadership and armoured units yet, so try to break their Morale with flanking and rear charges.

A unit or two of Goblin Wolfrider Archers are great for distracting their Ranged and picking off artillery and can even do some charges just for the morale shock penalty if you get the chance. They're super fast and give a nice little morale penalty if fired into the backs of units. Then use them to run down the Dwarves when they flee.

Once they start getting units that won't run you should have Boar Boyz ready to deal with it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I don't know whether it's the best way to use them, but I also like using grave guards as a second line behind a disposable front of skeleton warriors. The skeletons move faster and soak up missiles/tie up their infantry, then I pour grave guards into the gaps that develop. The great weapon ones seem to get a lot more kills with this approach.

Oh also unlike cavalry great weapons units are not large and so aren't vulnerable to halberds and spears.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 2, 2016

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

William Bear posted:

Has anyone else noticed that almost every other Vampire Counts and Empire Lord/Hero is named Gunther or Gunter? Getting a bit sick of this.

(Insert Adventure Time penguin joke here)

madmac posted:

The point of Greatweapons on the tabletop was a boost of strength, but being unable to use your shield in CQC. That's what happens to Spearmen with shields, anyway. If Greatweapon Quarrelers still had the resistance to ranged attacks would they be worth it?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
If Greatweapon Quarrelers still had the missile block they'd be OP.

They don't really need a buff, they're just very niche.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Triskelli posted:

The point of Greatweapons on the tabletop was a boost of strength, but being unable to use your shield in CQC. That's what happens to Spearmen with shields, anyway. If Greatweapon Quarrelers still had the resistance to ranged attacks would they be worth it?

It's why I figured that GW Quarrellers getting Anti-Large and turning them into essentially weaker Halberdiers sounds like a logical but borderline OP way to buff them. They'd be perfect for your flanks since they can fend off enemy cavalry while shielded Quarrelers can trade shots with enemy ranged units , but such a utilitarian role might cover the Dwarves' greatest weakness too well.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Grwatweapon Quarrelers saved my butt earlier today when Grimgor attacked one of my settlements with a fairly small force. Everything else died pretty easily, leaving most of my garrison vs him and Da Immortulz. I happily kited the hell out of them with all my quarrelers, getting him down to half hp and wiping out the black orcs to a man. Sadly, he was a lot faster than my Dwarfs and their stunty little legs so I kept feeding him miners and dwarf warriors so I could protect my quarrelers. In the end I ran out of ammo and had to do one glorious mass charge with all my quarrelers, and those great weapons carried the day.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
As Empire, is there a point to getting Reiksgard when I can instead just get Demigryph Knights? I have no problem spamming the latter, but I want to know if there's any advantage to getting the Reiksgard instead.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

What, by the way, counts as large? Are vargheists large? What about crypt horrors? Or are monstrous infantry generally not large?

Edit: ^^^ Reiksguard are faster, I believe. Also there's buildings and techs and skills that raise their recruit level.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

madmac posted:

If Greatweapon Quarrelers still had the missile block they'd be OP.

They don't really need a buff, they're just very niche.

Yeah if they retained the missile block but had that extra melee skill and AP from GW you could flat out replace warriors with them. Quarrelers with great weapons are in a weird spot but now that I think about it they make a lot of sense against Chaos and VC which don't have any real ranged threat but like to hammer through your front line with monsters all the time.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fangz posted:

What, by the way, counts as large? Are vargheists large? What about crypt horrors? Or are monstrous infantry generally not large?

Anything larger than infantry I presume. Anything mounted, but not warbeasts like hounds though. I guess further clarification will come in time though.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Fangz posted:

Edit: ^^^ Reiksguard are faster, I believe. Also there's buildings and techs and skills that raise their recruit level.

Cavalry, mounted heroes and monstrous units are all large. I'd guess that goblin cav are large too.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Doing the Cloak of Molten Fire quest.

"Man, those 3 Black Knight units are going to hit my flank. I better send my 2 units of Demi-Gyrph riders to keep the artillery alive."
"36 vs 120... Man,I hope I don't lose too many of these guys"
30 seconds later.
120 dead Black Knights, 0 dead Demi-Gryph riders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Grognan posted:

Anything larger than infantry I presume. Anything mounted, but not warbeasts like hounds though. I guess further clarification will come in time though.

It's already clarified in full. The definition is strictly "anything horse-sized or bigger".

So look at unit. Is it as big or bigger than a horse? It's large. Smaller than a horse? It's not large. I cannot think of even a single unit in the game I would not be able to classify as not large/large according to this definition. It's quite clear.

• Locked thread