Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Maybe it gets the least play because its cruise control after year 1900 for most people. If we changed that, it may change that habit.

It gets the least play because Civ is a game about winning as fast as possible. That's the core. People don't avoid the post 1900s because it's tedious, even though it is, they avoid the 1900s because the game is already over. Sometimes it's not technically over because the dominant civ hasn't finished the space shuttle yet or whatever, but it's over. By the 1900s, either you've already won the game, or the ending is a foregone conclusion, but generally speaking all of the faffing about in the modern era has little real effect on whether you are going to win or lose. If you want the modern era to be played anything nearly as much as the early eras, then you have to build that into the win conditions and the core mechanics of the game.

If all you do is put all the cool fun mechanics in the modern era, then what will happen is a) people never ever see it or b) the normal way to play will be to just start in the modern era when the fun begins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
http://www.gadgethelpline.com/civilization-vi-pre-release-details-emerge-whats-changed/

-Way easier to convert cities with religion apparently
-Religious victory or at least easier to do domination through religion

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Some new screenshots on the Civ VI site.

Not sure how much new info to glean from that but there's some nice cliffs.

edit: Updated with higher resolution - those FoW map details really pop at twice the size!

Hogama fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 2, 2016

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's pretty

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tendales posted:

It gets the least play because Civ is a game about winning as fast as possible. That's the core. People don't avoid the post 1900s because it's tedious, even though it is, they avoid the 1900s because the game is already over. Sometimes it's not technically over because the dominant civ hasn't finished the space shuttle yet or whatever, but it's over. By the 1900s, either you've already won the game, or the ending is a foregone conclusion, but generally speaking all of the faffing about in the modern era has little real effect on whether you are going to win or lose. If you want the modern era to be played anything nearly as much as the early eras, then you have to build that into the win conditions and the core mechanics of the game.

If all you do is put all the cool fun mechanics in the modern era, then what will happen is a) people never ever see it or b) the normal way to play will be to just start in the modern era when the fun begins.

I guess that isn't the way I see it at all. It'd definitely be a move towards grand strategy vs a systematic steps-to-victory game.

Eric the Mauve posted:

If I may insert a controversial opinion, the snowball effect isn't THAT huge a problem, it can be a good thing for the endgame being mostly the player enjoying the fruits of having played the early/midgame well, and you definitely want to avoid going too far the other way with rubber band mechanics and turning Civ into Mario Kart where the first two-thirds of the game is irrelevant.

Agree and thats what i want to avoid is the rubber band mechanics. If you had a good game all game then you should be really set up for the modern game pretty well. I'd rather have the game be climaxing in the modern era on vs climaxing in the Renaissance where the guy who rushes the most wonders wins. That should count for something, sure, but it should all be jockeying for supremacy modern time. I think that is what they TRIED to do with the world congress and city states, but failed in doing so.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Like I said, first player to get the massively improved yields will be able to parlay them into a significant advantage over their rivals, exacerbating the snowball effects that already exist.

I think your counterargument is something like "if you focus on food then you won't be focusing on military/gold/science/culture", but in practice all of the different domains are to some extent fungible: if you have lots of food, then you have more population = productive capacity = ability to make other things. If you have lots of gold, then you can just outright buy other things. If you have lots of science, then you can get other things more efficiently. If you have lots of military, then you can just take the other things you need. In all cases, having an advantage in one domain means having an advantage in all domains -- your civ is just plain "better" than the other civs.

I mean hell, if you look at Civ4/5, there's a reason people beeline the techs that unlock better food tile improvements and more science buildings. Those techs only give relatively minor boosts and they're still very highly prioritized. And you're suggesting making them even stronger?

Well, yeah. Make the bonuses stronger, everyone can do it though. As Eric pointed out, having a bit of a snowball isn't a problem, the problem is that there should be a way for another civ to counter act the snowball. And the way to do that is to allow specialization and increased yields. It should matter that sure, you're a tiny nation off to the side, but you can still "king make" or innundate the big guy with culture because you've specialized that way. As it is now, they can't do that because they simply can't generate enough of it.

I guess I'm also saying that civ strength should also get away from the "more pop/land is better". Specializing and investment should be more useful and possible rather than as a byproduct of just crushing everyone.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Jay Rust posted:

It's pretty

Yeah, I really like how it's looking now.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
gently caress the haters, I'm really digging the visual style. Though honestly, I think once you're zoomed out, and once all the UI stuff is visible, it probably won't look dramatically different from 5 at all.

Edit: I'm sure the modders will be hard at work post-release making graphics packs to shrink everything down, clutter it up, and wash out the color palette if that's what people really want.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 2, 2016

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I think it looks like dogshit and I'm still going to play for 1,000 hours because it's Civilization and all the gameplay info so far sounds like it's better than V.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
looking good

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The roads look good. Roads looked like poo poo in Civ5.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
I really hope ranged units are out excepting planes and maybe battleships. Theres really no point to building anything but archers in 5, until artillery shows up. If that wasn't enough the zone of control means you cant exploit gaps so you cannot use tactics other than frontal attritional slog

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

It's probably old news but I do like Civ (also) going for the fog of war looking like a hand-drawn map. It's nice looking and very clearly delineates what you are and aren't actively seeing.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My one worry is that it might be difficult to differentiate between, say, grasslands and plains.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Also the likelihood of that being Crater Lake hanging out by the city in the foreground seems fairly plausible - first sighted Natural Wonder?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is it possible to buy property on Wizard Island?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You can see the difference in the screenshot - the grasslands are significantly darker, and it looks like the plains additionally have some kind of sketchy-line detailing the grasslands don't.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

Is it possible to buy property on Wizard Island?

Pretty sure crater lake is a national park

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Hogama posted:

Also the likelihood of that being Crater Lake hanging out by the city in the foreground seems fairly plausible - first sighted Natural Wonder?

The video that was making the rounds earlier had the Great Barrier Reef just offshore from the player's capital. I'm convinced they did that just to show that in Civ6 the Reef won't spawn in useless locations. :v:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Fister Roboto posted:

The roads look good. Roads looked like poo poo in Civ5.

seriously was that not so loving hard?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It's clear they had a different designer for the first civ 5, and I can't say I agree with their philosophy.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
In the centre of the second image, is that a unit of axemen supported by a catapult? Could be one of those support unitd they've ben talking about. Great catch on Wizard Island/crater lake btw.
(Also has anyone complained about helium balloons existing in the bronze age yet)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Jastiger posted:

It's clear they had a different designer for the first civ 5, and I can't say I agree with their philosophy.

Yeah I'm actually really excited because Jon Shafer was the director of 5 vanilla but then they brought on Ed Beach for the expansions. Nothing against Shafer but I'm a huge fan of Beach's work on board games and I think the fact that he's getting to design the vanilla civ 6 from scratch rather than build on a broken frame of his predecessor will be a huge positive.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah I'm actually really excited because Jon Shafer was the director of 5 vanilla but then they brought on Ed Beach for the expansions. Nothing against Shafer but I'm a huge fan of Beach's work on board games and I think the fact that he's getting to design the vanilla civ 6 from scratch rather than build on a broken frame of his predecessor will be a huge positive.

That being said, I'm also rather excited for Shafer's "At the Gates" game coming out next year.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

What, really? Then why is it that I never seem to run into a food cap for my cities outside of the very early game, while in Civ4 making certain there was enough food was a constant struggle for any city I wanted to grow big?

If you didn't even know how much food a citizen cost in Civ5, then I'd have to chalk this one up to you being a complete retard.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Do Goons play Virgin Queen?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Beamed posted:

That being said, I'm also rather excited for Shafer's "At the Gates" game coming out next year.
Yeah, it looks like it can be pretty fun.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

turboraton posted:

Do Goons play Virgin Queen?

I have it and Here I Stand, love em both.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Tree Bucket posted:

(Also has anyone complained about helium balloons existing in the bronze age yet)

Lol I hadn't even noticed that

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
One thing I DO hope they bring back is the random finding of resources when you improve a tile. Nothing like despairing that you have no iron or saltpeter when OMG we struck gold with a mine over here, yes! I don't have to go to war afterall.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I hope they bring back mineral depletion as well.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

http://franchise.civilization.com/en/news/2016-06-civilization-vi-envoys-and-city-states/

City state info. Hattusa is a city state which means the Hittites are not a civ. :(

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

The Human Crouton posted:

http://franchise.civilization.com/en/news/2016-06-civilization-vi-envoys-and-city-states/

City state info. Hattusa is a city state which means the Hittites are not a civ. :(

I love the unique bonuses. Should help prevent all the city-states from blending into one another.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

They promoted several city-states to full civs in Civ5's history.

From the article, the main things I see are:

* Gain influence with city-states by sending envoys to them. More envoys = more influence.
* Having max influence gives you a special ability unique to the city-state; Hattusa's (at this point in development anyway) is getting 1 of every strategic resource that you have discovered but can't access yourself.
* Having max influence lets you pay gold to temporarily control the city-state's units

No word on where envoys come from. They're presumably either a buildable unit or a special non-unit like Civ5 spies. In the latter case, choosing how to distribute your limited supply of envoys could be a significant part of your strategy.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I believe some people talked about this from the preview event. You earn envoys with a city state by performing quests for them.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Is there a mirror site? I've never been able to access their webpage, it gives me all sorts of wonky symbols.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Jastiger posted:

Is there a mirror site? I've never been able to access their webpage, it gives me all sorts of wonky symbols.

I was having this issue until I disabled Adblock.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The site is kind of garbage. It barely loads for me. Here's the text of the article:

that article posted:

What are City-States?

City-States, introduced in Civilization V, are singular cities that act independent of the player and rival leaders in Civilization VI. They have their own political relationships, can engage in war, and provide players a means of diplomacy outside of dealing with the major civilizations.

In Civilization VI, City-States are much more streamlined over their Civilization V counterparts, and feature updated quests that become visible after a player sends an Envoy there. Completing a City-State’s quests earn additional Envoys there, which help you enact more influence and earn greater rewards as you continue to strengthen your relationship that particular City-State.

What are Envoys?

Envoys are a type of emissary that players can send to City-States for the purpose of furthering their agenda in Civilization VI. Envoys earn resources over time and, the more Envoys you send to a particular City-State, the greater the influence you have over that City-State. With enough influence, you can become Suzerain of that City-State, which yields unique bonuses and guarantees allegiance during times of peace and war. Suzerains can even pay gold to levy the City-State’s military units for a limited time.

Players can even send an Envoy to a City-State they are at war with, potentially changing the City-State’s allegiance in the middle of the conflict. Declaring war on a City-State removes all Envoys the player has there; otherwise, Envoys stay on a City-State permanently.

There are certain conditions and actions that may allow Envoys to be removed from a City-State, and we’ll be explaining these situations as we get closer to the launch of Civilization VI.
Join the conversation on social media by using the hashtag #OneMoreTurn, and be sure to follow the Civilization franchise on social media to keep up to date with the latest news and information on Sid Meier’s Civilization VI.

And there are a few neat pictures:

Hope that helps for other people who can't load that drat site that nearly crashed my browser twice.

No word on where envoys come from. They're presumably either a buildable unit or a special non-unit like Civ5 spies. In the latter case, choosing how to distribute your limited supply of envoys could be a significant part of your strategy.
A spy-like pool wouldn't make sense, as they are permanently assigned to a city state, and can be lost. There must be some way to produce them.

They said you get more envoys in a city state when you do quests for them, but again, since they can't be reassigned that's not where the come from originally.

So presumably you can build them. It seems like doing quests gives the same effect as just sending more envoys, so I guess you could just spam envoys for control. Would that just turn the city state game and the diplomacy victory from a measure of how much gold you have to a measure of how much production you have? I kind of like that idea, but I'm not sure if it would lead to anything questionable I can't think of right now.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Interestingly, you can become Suzerain at 3 envoys, but the final bonus is at 6. I guess it's nice to get something extra as you fight for a city state's loyalty.
Unique bonuses for city-states is an excellent change though. There's going to be some hotly contested city states now.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Eiba posted:

The site is kind of garbage. It barely loads for me. Here's the text of the article:

Thanks! Very cool of you.

Who's the dude with the wolf? A scout perhaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yea, guy with dog is the new scout