Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

nopants posted:

It'd be a great twist if the HS cast turn undead on the Mountain only for it to have no effect.
I'm fairly sure that in his first appearance at least he could be heard to breathe. I haven't paid close enough attention to his subsequent scenes to be able to tell whether that was just a one-time thing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Zaphod42 posted:

Its possible they could go in that direction, but like the article points out, he's right back to being good-guy sympathetic Jaime right afterwards. Cersei doesn't even get mad at him for it or anything. The show is simply not acknowledging that a rape ever happened. And the book it didn't, so it does seem likely that they weren't actually intending for it to be a change of Jaime's character, they just hosed up the filming of the scene.

Yeah, after that happened and nobody acknowledged it, I assumed what the director was going for was that stair sex scene from A History of Violence. Which actually *does* convey a pseudo-consensual encounter between a couple that's totally unsure of the bounds of their changing relationship.

Just imagine that's what was supposed to happen in the Sept, instead of the garbage scene we actually got.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zaphod42 posted:

Its possible they could go in that direction, but like the article points out, he's right back to being good-guy sympathetic Jaime right afterwards. Cersei doesn't even get mad at him for it or anything. The show is simply not acknowledging that a rape ever happened. And the book it didn't, so it does seem likely that they weren't actually intending for it to be a change of Jaime's character, they just hosed up the filming of the scene.

Maybe I'm misremembering but didn't D&D flat out admit that they hosed the scene up?

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Real disappointed in lack of Faith Militant slaughter by the Mountain so far.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Sydin posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering but didn't D&D flat out admit that they hosed the scene up?

It wouldn't have been their fault. The problem was how the scene was staged, performed, and shot. I believe Alex Graves directed that episode, so he's the one who hosed up.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Bobo the Red posted:

The problem is that it wasn't written as a rape, so none of the characters are going to treat it as one:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/05/04/why-we-should-pretend-the-game-of-thrones-rape-scene-never-happened.html

Like, it definitely looked and felt like it, because they hosed up, but, unless they backtrack it, Jaime didn't rape Cersei.

They're both characters who've gone on at length about rape on the show. One or both of them would have in some way have dealt with it if it was rape.

lmao

"look I know it looks like rape, feels like rape, and was totally rape, but it wasn't ok"

Asmodai_00 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 2, 2016

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Asmodai_00 posted:

lmao

"look I know it looks like rape, feels like rape, and was totally rape, but it wasn't ok"

Uh, yeah. This is fiction, and, due to bad choices, the events as the audience saw them don't reflect what the writers say happened. They have literally said as much.

So yes. It looks, feels, and pretty much is rape, but not to the writers (and therefore to the characters) on the show

hopHeadless
Aug 24, 2014

Red posted:

The interesting thing is, I don't think we know what The Mountain can or cannot do.

- Is he stronger than before?
- Is he slower than before?
- Does he feel pain?

etc.

Edit: So even if Mountain wins, the people might protest the abomination out of fear and go apeshit on the Lannisters over him. Look how the small council regards him.

I was wondering this myself. Everyone seems to think the new Mountain will be able to fight just as well as before, but his pre-zombification fight record isn't that hot to begin with. We've only seen him lumber around and smoosh a dude's head. I can't picture zombie mountain moving at anything faster than a lurch, and that doesn't seem like an asset in a fight. Unless he's basically just a white walker at this point and only vulnerable to fire.
It would be poetic to see the mountain get burned to death by Sandor.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

So happy rape chat is back.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

kiimo posted:

So happy rape chat is back.

yeah sorry my bad

id rather discuss the third person in the triple threat ladder match at Cersei's trial: Barristan Selmy

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think by pure non book knowledge new Mountain is still somewhat alive and may or may not be stronger. For all we know he can talk. He understands instructions and follows them. Is he just a Lannister banner man still? When do we get some Swegin action?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Walking Dead author is ripping GRRM right now about letting the show go into non-book territory.

That's a dude who writes a graphic novel about zombies, btw. As if his world compares to this one.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Walking Dead guy should kill himself for allowing that abomination of a TV show to exist.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Jaime rapes Cersei in the book too. It's his POV chapter though...

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j-aQV6Q7jw

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

kiimo posted:

The Walking Dead author is ripping GRRM right now about letting the show go into non-book territory.

That's a dude who writes a graphic novel about zombies, btw. As if his world compares to this one.

The best part of the Walking Dead was when Carl warged back in time and caused the zombie apocalypse.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

kiimo posted:

:lol: What a loving nerd.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I had to check if Hafthor was still playing The Mountain because who can tell, right? He is. He probably doesn't look like a jolly fellow under the helmet anymore though.

Reminder that Mountain's pre-dead fight record also includes a horse! And also best Mountain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaIwtO6VWCU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

turtlecrunch posted:

I had to check if Hafthor was still playing The Mountain because who can tell, right? He is. He probably doesn't look like a jolly fellow under the helmet anymore though.

Reminder that Mountain's pre-dead fight record also includes a horse! And also best Mountain:

hahahahahahha that second Mountain they had though, holy poo poo

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

turtlecrunch posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFbE8rhALjJ/?hl=en

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

turtlecrunch posted:

I've always loved how the Hound kneels before the king and dodges his brother's sword in a single move. So smooth. :allears:

Second Mountain had the best voice though. :colbert:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Advice posted:

Is this worse than anime swords? You be the judge.

When Sam screams out in wild rage "I WILL NOT DAAAAAAD!!!!" and his sword hilt transforms into a cannon bigger than the sword, we'll talk

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

:gonk:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

That's rad.

That guy seems so hilariously friendly off the show. Honestly I think the cast was having a blast on that season, so many loving around pictures between him, the Viper and Cersei floating around and they all look photo shopped he's so huge.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

hopHeadless posted:

I was wondering this myself. Everyone seems to think the new Mountain will be able to fight just as well as before, but his pre-zombification fight record isn't that hot to begin with. We've only seen him lumber around and smoosh a dude's head. I can't picture zombie mountain moving at anything faster than a lurch, and that doesn't seem like an asset in a fight. Unless he's basically just a white walker at this point and only vulnerable to fire.
It would be poetic to see the mountain get burned to death by Sandor.

Qyburn specifically said it wouldn't make him weaker, and seemed to imply it would actually make him stronger, but maybe Qyburn was wrong. I don't think so though.

You're also underestimating The Mountain's abilities pre-zombification. We didn't see him do much (Except cut a horse's head off in one swing, and smush Oberyn's head) but just by the reputation you get from other characters like The Hound and Bron talking about him, he's definitely a threat. He's one of the most deadly men to face in combat in the seven kingdoms.

Maarak posted:

Jaime rapes Cersei in the book too. It's his POV chapter though...

No, that's wrong. Jaime has sex with Cersei as well in the book, but its not rape. She protests, but the book makes it clear she's only protesting because of the location, and after they talk about it, she gives in and starts demanding he take her and calling out his name over and over and over. Its still a little awkward because he's kinda talking her into having sex somewhere she doesn't want to, but her only protest was because they were in the sept. She really did want him, and it helped her deal with her pain. The book makes it much clearer, where the show obviously was going for that angle but hosed it up because all she says is "no, no" and then Jaime takes her. In the book she specifically says "yes, okay, take me now" which is a bit different.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
This intercourse between a sister and brother was totally on the levelq

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

turtlecrunch posted:

Man this makes me miss the Hound. He was neither a complete protagonist nor antagonist but hit all the right pieces of each.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
The Hound was one of the best parts of the show. Him and Arya travelling together was the highlight of that season.

I also still get a chuckle remembering that they wound up together because Sansa, noted fairy tale fan, spent most of her time at King's Landing hoping for a strong knight to come and whisk her away to safety. This is what the Hound is, and wants to do, but she tells him to gently caress off when he tries because he's all scarred up and someone maybe perhaps floated the idea that she might get married to handsome young Loras maybe so lets wait and see how this hostage situation plays out, what's the worst that can happen to a Stark child?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
To be accurate, that was before the Lannister-Tyrell alliance, so Loras wasn't on the table yet, and it looked like Stannis was going to win the battle and save her. The Loras thing was from next season, when she refused to sneak away with Littlefinger.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
You're completely right. My brain just reconfigured my memories to make past-season Sansa's decision look dumber.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sten Freak posted:

Man this makes me miss the Hound. He was neither a complete protagonist nor antagonist but hit all the right pieces of each.

Makes me miss Robert. As much of a fat drunk as he was, he was ten times the king of Joffrey or Tommen both, and he was actually pretty fun.

The scenes with him and Ned were fantastic.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Sydin posted:

They did. They said they screwed the entire scene up if people were interpreting it as rape, which basically everyone I watched it with did. I can see what they intended but they did a real bad job of it.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Zaphod42 posted:

No, that's wrong. Jaime has sex with Cersei as well in the book, but its not rape. She protests, but the book makes it clear she's only protesting because of the location, and after they talk about it, she gives in and starts demanding he take her and calling out his name over and over and over. Its still a little awkward because he's kinda talking her into having sex somewhere she doesn't want to, but her only protest was because they were in the sept. She really did want him, and it helped her deal with her pain. The book makes it much clearer, where the show obviously was going for that angle but hosed it up because all she says is "no, no" and then Jaime takes her. In the book she specifically says "yes, okay, take me now" which is a bit different.

Jaime is a rapist, book and show.

Sorry if you prefer some romantic fantasy.

edit. In other news, Rick Perry is a Ramsay Bolton fan:
https://twitter.com/GingerGibson/status/738462170258669569

Maarak fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 2, 2016

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Sten Freak posted:

The Hound pretty much was my favourite character in the series. He was a fairly terrible person much of the time, of course, but despite all his pretending otherwise there still was that shred of humanity at his core that sometimes came to the fore.

Ultimately even his line to Arya about wishing he had hosed her sister bloody was heart-rending more than repugnant. "At least I'd have one happy memory." :smith:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Maarak posted:

Jaime is a rapist, book and show.

Sorry if you prefer some romantic fantasy.

Way to mansplain

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

on that note, jason momoa (drogo's actor) posted this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGII8jPPHPG/

it got me pumped up irl

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
The more Danaerys "grows" the more I despise her. She is also a little hypocritical now she plans on using an army of people who take slaves and rape people.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

MMAgCh posted:

The Hound pretty much was my favourite character in the series. He was a fairly terrible person much of the time, of course, but despite all his pretending otherwise there still was that shred of humanity at his core that sometimes came to the fore.

Ultimately even his line to Arya about wishing he had hosed her sister bloody was heart-rending more than repugnant. "At least I'd have one happy memory." :smith:
Forgot about that line. His acute fear of fire also gave him a vulnerable side.

Still if he comes back somehow as many suggest it just seems cheap. He got his rear end thoroughly kicked, was so badly wounded asked to be finished off and was left to die in the middle of nowhere.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Red posted:

The interesting thing is, I don't think we know what The Mountain can or cannot do.

- Is he stronger than before?
- Is he slower than before?
- Does he feel pain?

etc.

Edit: So even if Mountain wins, the people might protest the abomination out of fear and go apeshit on the Lannisters over him. Look how the small council regards him.

Cersei asked Qyburn if the procedure would make him weaker. Qyburn just sort of chuckled and said "No."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Cersei asked Qyburn if the procedure would make him weaker. Qyburn just sort of chuckled and said "No."

Cersei gets to choose champions (super-Mountain vs. High Sparrow), the Church gets to choose the form of combat (game of chess).

• Locked thread