Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Solvency posted:

I'd never even heard of Ashes until I started looking into video cards again. Why do they use benchmarks from a game that basically no one will play?

It's one of the first engines to use asynchronous DX12 rendering and all sorts of newly implemented, poorly supported forward looking features. Because of this, its an unusual benchmark that makes fast cards look slow and slow cards look fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Solvency posted:

I'd never even heard of Ashes until I started looking into video cards again. Why do they use benchmarks from a game that basically no one will play?
Because it made Hawaii look awesome compared to Maxwell because of one single feature in DX12 and that the community loves ~*~drama~*~.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Feeling a bit better at pre-ordering my obscene luxury boondongle now. Constructive £30 discount!

e: \/\/\/ EVEN BETTER!

Haha, and Scan had just recently dropped their price to £619 because no-one was buying from them at £703.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Josh Lyman posted:

Because it made Hawaii look awesome compared to Maxwell because of one single feature in DX12 and that the community loves ~*~drama~*~.

Partially because NV pinky swore they supported the feature that really made the difference.

Partially because it was the first game to have benchmarks and it has a really nice bench.

Partially because people were hoping for similar boosts in every game so there's people hoping that future games will look more and more like it as more games build in DX 12 stuff earlier in their development.

Sex Bumbo
Aug 14, 2004
Are there really no other DX12 games to test on? AOTS put a lot of engineering effort into doing things they knew very well Maxwell wouldn't be able to do well.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
AotS is also well optimized for DX12, so it's one of the better games to test that. I don't know what else may be well optimized, but lots of games run slower with DX 12 vs DX 11.

Sex Bumbo
Aug 14, 2004
EIt's such an odd case study though. It's using their wacky texture space lighting technique which as far as I can tell is perfectly suited for an RTS view and not much else. Also what's even going on here? http://www.ashesofthesingularity.com/media

There's not a huge need for complex GI, the shadows are going to be trivial, overdraw is going to be naturally fairly low, and the terrain is going to be hard to render just because of their lighting model that no one else is using. They're doing poo poo like triangle culling on compute while simultaneously rendering shadows which yeah, is pretty cool, but also like the exact perfect thing to bust Maxwell's balls about. The shadows will look fine low frequency anyway because you're always looking at poo poo a million miles away.

E: it's not like async compute is the only way you're going to get shittons of polys on your screen without suffering an excessive amount of time culling small or backfacing polygons. It seems like the whole point should be moot anyway if doing poo poo like that still doesn't pull it ahead of the competition.

Sex Bumbo fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 2, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Solvency posted:

Because NVidia swore up and down that they had Async compute and that they weren't somehow operating on a lower DX12 feature level than AMD was.

Even though it's now been revealed that Pascal looks suspiciously like a Intel Tick'd Maxwell, and that the new hardware scheduler still relies on preemption and context switching instead. Like I wouldn't expect them to start spinning, "Well, let us ask ourselves, what exactly *is* asynchronous compute anwyays?"

At this point, saying anything about how AotS is somehow unfair would be a tacit admission of defeat. And given the Apple-like direction of messaging and marketing that Nvidia wants to do, that harms their image of invincibility.

In any case, AotS is the only game we can use to benchmark the full DX12 feature set, for better or worse.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

If your monitor is on iGPU, it will be rendered by the iGPU.

Also they don't support dual-link DVI.
Is Virtu still a thing? Where it passed the rendered framebuffer from the discrete GPU to the integrated one for display or something.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

japtor posted:

Is Virtu still a thing? Where it passed the rendered framebuffer from the discrete GPU to the integrated one for display or something.

I havn't seen a board come with virtu since 1150

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Why not just spend $100 on a case with decent airflow like the Fractal Design R5?

I'm not the person you were replying to so I don't know what case he has, but I'm interested in how the new cards perform in an Ncase M1 and the Fractal R5 is well over four times the size of that.

If we're being pragmatic about it then of course a larger case with good airflow is the best solution. Fortunately different people have different preferences/requirements which is what makes us all the unique little snowflakes we are :)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Sex Bumbo posted:

EIt's such an odd case study though. It's using their wacky texture space lighting technique which as far as I can tell is perfectly suited for an RTS view and not much else. Also what's even going on here? http://www.ashesofthesingularity.com/media

There's not a huge need for complex GI, the shadows are going to be trivial, overdraw is going to be naturally fairly low, and the terrain is going to be hard to render just because of their lighting model that no one else is using. They're doing poo poo like triangle culling on compute while simultaneously rendering shadows which yeah, is pretty cool, but also like the exact perfect thing to bust Maxwell's balls about. The shadows will look fine low frequency anyway because you're always looking at poo poo a million miles away.

E: it's not like async compute is the only way you're going to get shittons of polys on your screen without suffering an excessive amount of time culling small or backfacing polygons. It seems like the whole point should be moot anyway if doing poo poo like that still doesn't pull it ahead of the competition.

When I glanced at those screenshots I thought those were just sprites. I don't get the whole AotS thing.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You should really be buying a caselabs case and nothing else.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
OH HEY, thanks for bringing up the NCase, it reminded me to go check up on the Dancase A4. It's finally on Kickstarter! Paul! Dancase!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

OH HEY, thanks for bringing up the NCase, it reminded me to go check up on the Dancase A4. It's finally on Kickstarter! Paul! Dancase!

They wouldn't ship until December though. :(

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

I don't really follow PC tech closely until I'm back in the market every few years and just heard about the RX 480 this week while looking around for an upgrade to my 7850. I kinda wanted to make the switch back to green but definitely did not want to drop $330 on a 970.

Seems like it will fit the bill, not that I really need more processing power to play Project 1999: Elf Simulator but hey, :siren:upgrades:siren:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gray Matter posted:

I don't really follow PC tech closely until I'm back in the market every few years and just heard about the RX 480 this week while looking around for an upgrade to my 7850. I kinda wanted to make the switch back to green but definitely did not want to drop $330 on a 970.

Seems like it will fit the bill, not that I really need more processing power to play Project 1999: Elf Simulator but hey, :siren:upgrades:siren:

We don't know anything about the 480 other than the price, and if your 7850 is meeting your needs, stay on it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

ijyt posted:

When I glanced at those screenshots I thought those were just sprites. I don't get the whole AotS thing.

Screenies don't do its strong suits justice. The real time lighting, number of moving bits, and level of detail stuff is pretty impressive in motion.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I've seen video of the game as well and remain unimpressed. It looks computationally expensive, to be sure, but it doesn't look good to me. I expect it'll be forgotten pretty quickly once it stops being a popular benchmark, outside of the small dedicated community of Supreme Commander-style RTS fans, which may or may not like it. I can't stand that sort of game so I don't know whether they think it's good or indeed by what criteria they'd judge that.

trojan_male
Oct 20, 2008
My GTX 670 has been showing its age for a while and I would like to be able to play all the newer games at max settings on my 2560x1080 60hz monitor. What would be the best card to expect at least 60 fps for the next 2 years?

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

trojan_male posted:

My GTX 670 has been showing its age for a while and I would like to be able to play all the newer games at max settings on my 2560x1080 60hz monitor. What would be the best card to expect at least 60 fps for the next 2 years?

GTX 1070.

the gtx 1080 is out now, though, so if you can't wait you can just buy that, but it might be overkill for a 60hz monitor.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

HMS Boromir posted:

I've seen video of the game as well and remain unimpressed. It looks computationally expensive, to be sure, but it doesn't look good to me. I expect it'll be forgotten pretty quickly once it stops being a popular benchmark, outside of the small dedicated community of Supreme Commander-style RTS fans, which may or may not like it. I can't stand that sort of game so I don't know whether they think it's good or indeed by what criteria they'd judge that.

I should be more precise, it looks technically good, but the stuff in the game doesn't really have enough to it for the game as a whole to be pretty. It's pretty clear a lot of the design and art was done on a tiny budget.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Smithereens posted:

GTX 1070.

the gtx 1080 is out now, though, so if you can't wait you can just buy that, but it might be overkill for a 60hz monitor.

The GTX 1080 is sold out and backordered everywhere so it's not going to be more expedient to get one of those.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That is a nifty tiny case for a nice build, but it seems a bit pricey for such a small case alone.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

EdEddnEddy posted:

That is a nifty tiny case for a nice build, but it seems a bit pricey for such a small case alone.

The flexible PCI-E riser they're using costs $80 by itself :homebrew:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Gwaihir posted:

Nvidia's standard port config is 1x DVI-D, 1x HDMI, and 3 displayport. Just about every card should have a DVI port for you.

e: Of you meant literally two DVI ports, not dual link DVI. :downs:

I'd be really surprised to see any two DVI port cards.

Aren't HDMI and DVI the exact same video signaling and just require a physical adapter?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

repiv posted:

$86.46 from Digikey. Bulk pricing brings it down to $67.64 per, but you gotta buy 250 pcs at a time.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

bull3964 posted:

The GTX 1080 is sold out and backordered everywhere so it's not going to be more expedient to get one of those.

I figured a lot of people would wait for the GTX 1070 instead, seems to have really good price/quality.

I'm having hard drive problems right now, and am looking at building an entirely new rig fairly soon. So I hope the 1070 doesn't have the same availability problems (it will).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

SwissArmyDruid posted:

$86.46 from Digikey. Bulk pricing brings it down to $67.64 per, but you gotta buy 250 pcs at a time.

Thats a lot of money but look how much you are saving!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I am *not* paying $16,910.95 for 250, just so I can use *one*.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I am *not* paying $16,910.95 for 250, just so I can use *one*.
Think of how much you could make selling them on EBay!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Now you sound like my dad, always trying to get me to sell on ebay the random poo poo that he finds. I have a loving career, damnit! I'm like poo poo, you want to make money so bad, YOU sell it on ebay!

If I'm going to do the ebay thing, it's going to involve a goddamn supply pipeline!

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 2, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

repiv posted:

True, still $250 for a case without a PSU and one so tiny at that.

I understand its an awesome little case and production cost and all but, but drat if I want to save $100 or so and spend it on some other parts or something.

Still, it is tempting me when I already have a pretty sweet HTPC ITX case that fits a MSI GTX760 but Is pretty much maxed out with that in there, A deeper case would be neat, and I guess I don't really need the optical drive either... Hmm.

No, I don't need it right now!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Don Lapre posted:

The truest words.

It's real nice to see the Titan X still keeping up with the joneses so far in this new generation of GPUs. It will make the wait for the *next* Titan real easy.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
SLI 1070 is real tempting instead of getting a single 1080 but I told myself to avoid SLI.

It would work out almost the same price, but way more performance, right?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

SLI 1070 is real tempting instead of getting a single 1080 but I told myself to avoid SLI.

It would work out almost the same price, but way more performance, right?
Since when does 2x379=599?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

half a grand for a normal looking tower. I'll pass. My coolermaster full tower is perfect.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EdEddnEddy posted:

Just get 2 cards with 1 DVI-D each. Problem solved. :)

I have almost the same problem. My 980Ti only has 1 DVI and I have the HDMI being used by the VR headsets so I had to do a DP-DVI adapter for my 120Hz ASUS 1080P and it can only get up to 100Hz with the adapter, and constantly shows me that "Wrong Cable" box every time it wakes up. It works, but only just.

If you have a Vive, you could use the DisplayPort for the Vive and the HDMI for your monitor.

You're SOL with Rift, though, unless you wanted to try DVI->HDMI on the Rift.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

triple sulk posted:

They wouldn't ship until December though. :(

It's also close to $300 and I don't know if I'm $300 committed to it. That's like, half of a 1080.

Maybe let's take this to the mITX thread but am I going to be able to get a Classified-size GPU in there? What's the CPU cooler clearance?

I built out my RVZ01 with a H75. It's as good as you can expect for a tiny mITX build but man was that a pain in the rear end. My 780 Ti Classified was too big to fit, so I ended up using my reference 780 Ti instead. I need to figure out a better way to manage the cables and the H75 tubes - right now the lid is seriously jammed down and I don't want to run it long term and gently caress up the pump. I may need to figure out plan B on the cooler - maybe a slimmer fan or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Haquer posted:

Even then, the APU is very custom with 32mb of eSRAM included on the die, as well as using DDR3 as the System and Graphics RAM, which won't (probably) see any more price drops so there's not really much room for manufacturing processes to drop the price so they're still losing money on consoles sold.

Overall though I think the APUs have to be a pretty good deal for Microsoft and Sony (eSRAM aside). It may be a custom chip but it's a straightforward modification of a commercial off-the-shelf architecture, everything else is a 100% commodity part instead of some specialized VRAM or something, and they save a bunch on routing traces. I think there's a reason Sony broke even, right from Day 1.