Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Dead Reckoning posted:

If you think that a policy is ineffective and has a negative effect on your life or the lives of others, I don't see opposing it, even if you agree with the goals it purports to address, as some grave sin. See also: drug prohibition, three strikes laws.

Drug prohibition is not inherently bad. The "Drug War" is bad, but due to mismanagement and poorly thought out focus on the user, rather than the source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dexo posted:

Trump's response to anything Clinton says until the California primary ends should be;

"Why is Hillary talking as though she's actually sealed her nomination like I have, Bernie still has a chance"

He could say that.

OR
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/738449664752553984

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Well, I'm not a drug user or twice convicted felon, but I think drug prohibition and three strikes are ineffective policy, even though I think keeping career criminals off the streets and preventing people from ruining their lives with heroin addictions are admirable policy goals.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

It was only a matter of time.

https://twitter.com/pryan/status/738446569331163136

Edit: maybe not his account? It's a verified account but not the @speakerRyan account.

E2: I guess it's real!

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 2, 2016

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

I'd rather fight for economic justice which impacts 51% of voters than I would for a wedge issue which impacts less than .1% of voters. I am for LGBT rights -- dudes using womens bathrooms is not the loving hill to die on, it reeks of hippie dippy bullshit.

You make other people die on the hill though. Normal people think it's hosed up to care about where people poo poo (because it is) and making the Republicans look like weird creeps (which they are) and treating a molehill* like it's the Alps means you can permanently shift people to your side by pointing to all the people who've died fighting over a molehill. Meanwhile, you've gotten people to at least look at your ideas in the actual battles for economic justice. Hippies are, were, and will continue to be for at least the next twenty years a natural (if you'll pardon the pun) and key element of the Democratic party and any punching of them only helps the Republicans.

*The ability to not have to go find a special restroom (or worry about creeps following you in) is part and parcel of being a full citizen and not actually a molehill. The people who think economic justice is social justice have actually gotten it reversed. Social justice is economic justice, eventually.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BrendanBuck/status/738449872232316928

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

"I am sure he's writing tweets right now"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rhesus Pieces posted:

All shall bend the knee and wear the hat!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
telepromter....

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

He is just so loving predictable at this point. It's almost not even worth making fun of anymore.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

:laffo:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He is just so loving predictable at this point. It's almost not even worth making fun of anymore.

I was wrong on the blackjack and hookers, though. :(

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

noted staunch pro-lifer donald trump

ryan is a craven, gutless coward

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Mozi posted:

They all are. Who's left, Romney? Kristol? Is Sasse still holding out?

They'd all endorse a sack of manure with an R scrawled on it.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Okay, so who had "June 2" in the Paul Ryan Cave betting pool?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah, his shtick is getting kind of old.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/pryan/status/738446569331163136

Edit: maybe not his account? It's a verified account but not the @speakerRyan account.

E2: I guess it's real!

"I am confident that he will signautograph billsanything we put in front of him."

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Mozi posted:

And you thought anything different about Ryan?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Ahaqhahaha oh god, she left the stage to a sousa march

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
It's just a neverending train of Sara Palin smugfaced folksy bullshit on his Twitter stream. I even read half of it in her awful voice.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Ahaqhahaha oh god, she left the stage to a sousa march

i fuckin' loved it, i'm still tapping on my desk

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/738454668150374400

Consult the oracles!

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Is it too early to start thinking about who HRC will pick for VP?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

DemeaninDemon posted:

And you thought anything different about Ryan?

No, but it's good when things are laid out like that.

Given his career you'd imagine he does care about Republican principles more than some other people (note that I still disagree strenuously with said principles,) so I hope he's going through at least some personal angst and self-hatred.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

If we Have To Do Something For The Children, and our offered choices of ineffective, symbolic policy were either a pointless new assault weapon ban or security theater, I can see why gun owners favored the one that didn't affect them personally.

Gun owners have nothing to fear if they aren't criminals. I don't see how this would affect them.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Last I checked good money was on one of the Castros.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Tim Kaine
Julien Castro
Sherrod Brown
Deval Patrick
Tom Perez
Liz Warren
Amy Klobachar

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Mozi posted:

Given his career you'd imagine he does care about Republican principles more than some other people (note that I still disagree strenuously with said principles,) so I hope he's going through at least some personal angst and self-hatred.

Well, the problem is that doing what he wants to do (which is going on live TV and screaming "TRUMP IS GARBAGE, WHAT IS WRONG WITH ALL OF YOU???") would hurt the party. A lot. Which means his goals are even farther from being achieved.

Also, it would destroy his career. But even if eh wanted to do the right thing, it would be counter to his goals.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arrgytehpirate posted:

No doubt Bernie will say he is entitled to be VP cause of his enormous crowds.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

Well, the problem is that doing what he wants to do (which is going on live TV and screaming "TRUMP IS GARBAGE, WHAT IS WRONG WITH ALL OF YOU???") would hurt the party. A lot. Which means his goals are even farther from being achieved.

Also, it would destroy his career. But even if eh wanted to do the right thing, it would be counter to his goals.

No, he picked his career over principle. The funny thing is picking his career here is going to cost him his career anyway.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

also lol if you don't think this ryan release was timed to try and suck the air out of hillary's firebomb of trump

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mozi posted:

The man faked a photo shoot at a soup kitchen. He went from tongue punching Ayn Rand's squish mitten to "Never heard of her, loves me some Aquinas" with complete ease. He has no principles beyond personal power.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

No, he picked his career over principle. The funny thing is picking his career here is going to cost him his career anyway.
I wonder if Paul Ryan actually thinks that Trump is going to win.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Haha, two weeks ago all I was hearing about was Republican ethics in regards to not supporting "bad" candidates and maybe the Dems could learn something about being true to their convictions. I wonder if there will be any Never-Trumpsters left by the end of June. What a predictable joke.

I mean Trump style Republicanism is pretty much the same as the standard just said in a more in your face and less dogwhistley manner so it's not surprising but wow it's impressive how little shame they all have. Can't wait for the Serious Economists to start talking about how Trump is the better alternative to Hillary because ??????.

Stultus Maximus posted:

The man faked a photo shoot at a soup kitchen. He went from tongue punching Ayn Rand's squish mitten to "Never heard of her, loves me some Aquinas" with complete ease. He has no principles beyond personal power.

Seriously. Remember that soup kitchen almost shut down because after they said "please don't use us for political purposes, especially without telling us first, and ESPECIALLY not just barging in and setting up a photo op when we were closed" a lot of the Republicans that donated pulled their support. Ryan is total trash and I don't know people have to keep being reminded of this.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 2, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If the Trump campaign ends up being as much of a disaster as we all think it is, these Trump endorsements are going to be serious political liabilities.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

also lol if you don't think this ryan release was timed to try and suck the air out of hillary's firebomb of trump

They wasted a wild card then, because Prince's autopsy report is overshadowing both stories

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I wonder if Paul Ryan actually thinks that Trump is going to win.

Probably not, but he's an idiot fraud anyway. I think he thinks this will save him short-term and once they've disposed of Donald Trump that he can say "well i mean, if we'd nominated someone serious, like me because i am serious and important and stuff, then we would have beat mean old hillary"

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

djw175 posted:

Last I checked good money was on one of the Castros.

But wasn't his name not even on that list of potentials that got leaked?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Like they've learned absolutely nothing from losing in 2008 and 2012, and even less from their failure to do anything as a result of appeasing idiot in their party.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
The thing is... I saw a little bit of his Veterans press conference recently and I know calling the end of his campaign is a losing game so far but it seemed like the whole edifice was starting to come apart a bit. He truly is in over his head and has no idea of how to conduct a presidential (not primary) campaign. There's a segment of voters who will stick with him even stronger the more he's attacked but his uncontrollable aggressiveness and inability to keep himself from personally insulting people is going to become more and more of a problem.

Not to mention, hey, has your wife ever accused you in court of raping her in a rage over a failed hair transplant? I can say no!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Like they've learned absolutely nothing from losing in 2008 and 2012, and even less from their failure to do anything as a result of appeasing idiot in their party.

They weren't conservative enough. Once they find a for reals conservative they'll win back the white house.

• Locked thread