Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Ddraig posted:

The thing is that anyone old enough to use the Seprihoth reference would probably be in their late twenties at the least.

Talk about arrested development.

FFVII is eternal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

a cat on an apple posted:

I just got gold in objective time with a 00:01

:psyduck:

Don't forget that you can tie with other team members for medals. So someone else could have had gold for that too.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Ddraig posted:

The thing is that anyone old enough to use the Seprihoth reference would probably be in their late twenties at the least.

Talk about arrested development.

Advent Children came out in 2005.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
oh wow i just thought medals were rewards for hitting some number threshold, not a comparison of stats to the other players in the game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Solumin posted:

Don't forget that you can tie with other team members for medals. So someone else could have had gold for that too.

I don't know if all the medals are like this, but there's definitely some flexibility in terms of how gold is calculated - I've seen two teammates get gold damage despite not having exactly the same damage number.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Lady Naga posted:

Advent Children came out in 2005.

I still don't think it would have reached that many people who weren't already fans of FFVII

e: And even assuming that these people were teens then that makes them in their 20s now at least.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Ddraig posted:

I still don't think it would have reached that many people who weren't already fans of FFVII

You would be incredibly wrong. Final Fantasy 7 came out when I was three years old but you bet your rear end every loner kid in my high school knew who Sephiroth was from Advent Children.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Snazzy Frocks posted:

oh wow i just thought medals were rewards for hitting some number threshold, not a comparison of stats to the other players in the game.

Specifically people on your team. So quad-gold is doing the best across four metrics among your six guys.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

it's kind of disappointing you can't get a damage/kills card as tank or support, I know blizzard want to reinforce playing characters 'correctly' but sometimes i just want them to know how hard they got carried

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Indecisive posted:

it's kind of disappointing you can't get a damage/kills card as tank or support, I know blizzard want to reinforce playing characters 'correctly' but sometimes i just want them to know how hard they got carried

It's baffling to me that barrier characters don't get "healing done" replaced with "damage shielded"

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Countblanc posted:

Whenever I get "healing done" as Lucio, "damage absorbed" as Reinhardt, or "Objective time" as anyone I always feel like the game is bming me and/or my team

It doesn't get any worse than Roadhog getting a medal for healing himself.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I feel like Zenyatta's damage % report numbers are based on how much damage was done with the discord orb on them as long as you were able to hit them at least once for damage. I keep getting 100s when I pop a guy in the stomach once, for instance. No damage done by you and its just a kill assist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FF7 is one of those things where its reputation and presence are so large than people far younger than its target demographic continue to play it. It's actually one of the best-selling digital titles every time it gets a re-release and it's been re-released on PC and PS4 recently for example. I don't know how many of them really play it but people still like the characters or the weird thrice-internet telephone game versions of the characters.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I feel like Zenyatta's damage % report numbers are based on how much damage was done with the discord orb on them as long as you were able to hit them at least once for damage. I keep getting 100s when I pop a guy in the stomach once, for instance. No damage done by you and its just a kill assist.

There really needs to be a report of how much extra damage you added via discord or damage amp. And how much extra distance you helped people cover with Lucio's speed boost.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

It's baffling to me that barrier characters don't get "healing done" replaced with "damage shielded"

You get it as a side statistic.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Considering there's an entire subculture of people who make fan content for Touhou despite never playing a single game because "I like the character designs, but the games are too hard" the idea that you have to have played Final Fantasy VII to understand who Sepiroth is is...baffling at best.

Vermain posted:

You get it as a side statistic.
You don't get medals for side statistics.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lady Naga posted:

Considering there's an entire subculture of people who make fan content for Touhou despite never playing a single game because "I like the character designs, but the games are too hard" the idea that you have to have played Final Fantasy VII to understand who Sepiroth is is...baffling at best.

toby fox released a statement asking random people to stop making undertale merchandise if they hadnt actually played the game because it was apparently something of an issue

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
It surprises me that people underestimate the zeitgeist that Final Fantasy VII captured for late 90s video games. It was a landmark not just for advancement in graphics, it established a precedent for character design for western audiences.

As overplayed and cliche Sephiroth is nowadays, and for a good reason...

Basically everyone and their mom knows who and WHAT Sephiroth represents

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Lastgirl posted:

It surprises me that people underestimate the zeitgeist that Final Fantasy VII captured for late 90s video games. It was a landmark not just for advancement in graphics, it established a precedent for character design for western audiences.

As overplayed and cliche Sephiroth is nowadays, and for a good reason...

Basically everyone and their mom knows who and WHAT Sephiroth represents

Even more than that, people underestimate the zeitgeist that Advent Children went on to capture, with both TV anime and OVAs gathering a larger and older audience than either had at any other point in time in the West. It's really no surprise that people always assume that the characters in VII act like their Advent Children counterparts rather than what they were actually like.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

Even more than that, people underestimate the zeitgeist that Advent Children went on to capture, with both TV anime and OVAs gathering a larger and older audience than either had at any other point in time in the West. It's really no surprise that people always assume that the characters in VII act like their Advent Children counterparts rather than what they were actually like.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Only reason I know of Sepiroth is because he's been a meme on the internet for like a decade

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

apologies I meant to empty quote that in several other threads, to make fun of it. carry on

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

XyrlocShammypants posted:

No, just no. It's not the proper comparison. Widowmaker is a great sniper and Hanzo is just bad design

100% this. Bad Ult. Bad M1.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
After having several good games with Zenyatta, I feel like he may actually be one of the better balanced heroes in terms of having clear flaws that a team can abuse to shut down (e.g. Widowmaker bodyshot being a kill) but otherwise having high power in the hands of a good player. Having clearly defined counter-picks is okay, it's just that most of his big counter-picks are heroes that basically counter the entire cast through their sheer raw power, and being frail he feels it a lot more than most others would.

I think more heroes should be around the power balance that Zenyatta is at, but a lot are just leaps ahead in power in terms of having very few methods of counter (Tracer, Widowmaker, McCree).

If anything, I think his Orb of Harmony should be changed slightly, along with Symmetra's shield ability. They're both more of a chore activity than an intuitive part of their supportive gameplay. Zenyatta's Orb of Harmony is kind of the worst of Mercy's healing, in that you have to play around with weird fat auto-targetting selections and sometimes select the wrong person, and the worst of Lucio's healing, in that you have to be selectively careful with line of sight of your allies, requiring careful positioning to be either offensive or defensive and still actually support your intended targets. The result is that I've mostly only used Harmony to just pop on someone on the frontline combat with me whom I see take damage, and like hell I'm going to be looking around for people to heal like I might with Mercy because time spent chasing down allies is time lost being an offensive support.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Has blizzard said anything about when the balance patch is coming

I like playing Overwatch but I do not like playing against these stupid rear end Widowmaker and McCree pickers every single time I queue up for a quick match

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Wangsbig posted:

apologies I meant to empty quote that in several other threads, to make fun of it. carry on

Somehow I have a feeling that this was not an accident.

I am very upset that the DOTA streamer man is making fun of me for knowing things about anime in 2016 though trust me.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Minorkos posted:

I like playing Overwatch but I do not like playing against these stupid rear end Widowmaker and McCree pickers every single time I queue up for a quick match

possibly sometime, maybe

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Widowmaker is only annoying if someone supergood is playing her, i have no problems with regular widowmakers (they are trash and easy to kill)

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
lets just hope blizzard patches PC as its ready and not when the PS4/X-bone patches are approved

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Yes but if it's a supergood Widowmaker then basically the only thing that can deal with it is an enemy supergood Widowmaker, and it's not like we all have pocket ace sniper spaceys.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The reaper and mcree problem is getting worse. That problem being my patience for playing against them has gone away completely.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Minorkos posted:

probably late june along with the ranked mode

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Minorkos posted:

Yeah, I'm getting real sick of seeing Widowmaker in every single game. I love playing Pharah, especially now that I'm getting a better handle on her movement tech, but coming back from spawn, jumping into the sky, and immediately getting popped is immensely frustrating. It's not that I don't know how to counter her, but I don't want to have to directly counter her every single game by playing Winston/Genji/Roadhog/Widowmaker. I'm hoping that the game's started to settle enough that they'll be comfortable going back to the rapid balancing turnover of closed beta (or at least opening up a test server where they can rapidly iterate changes).

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Snazzy Frocks posted:

lets just hope blizzard patches PC as its ready and not when the PS4/X-bone patches are approved

Apparently the PC version will have a different balance track from the consoles so I wouldn't worry.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Widowmaker is only annoying if someone supergood is playing her, i have no problems with regular widowmakers (they are trash and easy to kill)

anyone with the ability to hit the reply button on this forum can click on a body model twice and get a kill. when a champ so goonproof is made, something must be done

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I like to play Winston. When he dies, it's because the other team has focused on me and has worked together to take me down. "Good job, other team!" I think.

Mcree throws a flashbang at me and kills me with one right click. I have to switch away from Winston because a giant monkey scientist is too big a target for stupid cowboy.

This makes me a very sad ape scientist.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Putting turrets on the rotating platforms on that level (don't remember the name) is hilarious, especially if you time Molten Core right and you burn down 2 or 3 people not prepared for your turret drive-by.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The worst part about this game is how fast it'll throw you out for AFK, you barely have enough time to take a piss when you die or between rounds

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I got afk booted for actively shooting out of spawn as a bastion despite contributing damage and getting eliminations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Countblanc posted:

toby fox released a statement asking random people to stop making undertale merchandise if they hadnt actually played the game because it was apparently something of an issue

Toby Fox sounds like an rear end in a top hat.