Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

What do you do when you're a game developer who has had some fairly public and boneheaded PR missteps over the last year or so? Have one of your lead devs flex their creative writing muscle!

Yikes

Ahahhahah. Is that the lady that is in charge of AI? Jesus that's a hell of a temper tantrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Woooow. What the gently caress.

Tracking down the "bugs" in the AI sounds like its going to involve going though her git commits and hitting revert.

Is this some kind of weird admission that she purposely made the AI cheat because her space trucking sensibilities were hurt?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Lol, I'd say 'Lady, don't give up your day job.' but, y'know :o:

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Holy poo poo that's embarrassing. Looks like she already took it down, though. Hire a consultant or something to train the company about PR and discretion Braben.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

SJA together with Mike Evans are my favorite ED developers.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

drat that is one broke-brained post.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Akion posted:

Ahahhahah. Is that the lady that is in charge of AI? Jesus that's a hell of a temper tantrum.
Yes. "Mistress of Minions" is the name the brown sea gave her, which they obviously abbreviate to make creepier (I've seen some of them referring to AI buffs as "MoM love"). Freud would have a loving field day.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I'm so sorry Braben :(

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I don't think I can cringe any harder. Like I'm trying over here but I got nothing.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
"Sarah Jane Avory - Author and cat lover".

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Snaxx posted:

"Sarah Jane Avory - Author and cat lover".

That is a pretty good combo in my book. She is also pretty good with AI, I remember back in the alpha/first premium beta the 3rd tutorial mission against a single advanced sidewinder (it was a bitch to kill, FDEV had to downgrade the AI in that mission after a couple of builds).

Some nice images.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 2, 2016

King of Cheeses
Jul 25, 2007
Crusty on the outside, smooth and creamy on the inside.
I'm agreed with posts about the grind. Having spent hours in my SRV to no avail I turned my hand to mining for some of the materials (arsenic and praseodymium in particular) and had a lot of success. I also picked up a lot of stuff I used to spam my Engineer for low level upgrades I didn't use but all helped increase my rep. I really like the way mining and limpets in general work, something I've ignored until Engineers pushed me in that direction.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The coloring on those is gorgeous, which effects pack are you using?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

LCL-Dead posted:

The coloring on those is gorgeous, which effects pack are you using?

No idea, got the pics from EliteGalaxy. They were submitted by two different players, so I think that the setup on the corvette might be different than the other two.

http://www.elitegalaxy.org/

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

What do you do when you're a game developer who has had some fairly public and boneheaded PR missteps over the last year or so? Have one of your lead devs flex their creative writing muscle!

Yikes

Ha her blog post now reads "I've deleted this story, realising it might offend some people. That was not my intention, so I'm very sorry if it did."

Fishreds99
Jul 8, 2009

Beep Boop
So she "designed" lovely, cheating AI to combat the non-existent problem of noobs getting ganked, then unleashed the cheating AI on the pve crybabies she was trying to protect? What am I missing here because this story doesn't seem to have a coherent point aside from "gently caress you."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fishreds99 posted:

So she "designed" lovely, cheating AI to combat the non-existent problem of noobs getting ganked, then unleashed the cheating AI on the pve crybabies she was trying to protect? What am I missing here because this story doesn't seem to have a coherent point aside from "gently caress you."

To be fair to her, the bugs were not related to AI behavior but the parts of the code generating ship configurations.

There is however a major problem with the AI indiscriminately attacking people for no reason at the moment. This could be a problem with the AI checks for aggressive behavior or some sort of standings/bounty/pp check error.

Ending the devil's advocate posting; do not post poo poo like that when some people have lost possibly weeks or months of effort and are severely disillusioned with the game. jfc

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Yikes

Is she OK, commando?

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

She didn't actually do anything like that, she just wrote an awful story about how she wishes she could.

Fishreds99
Jul 8, 2009

Beep Boop

hobbesmaster posted:

To be fair to her, the bugs were not related to AI behavior but the parts of the code generating ship configurations.

There is however a major problem with the AI indiscriminately attacking people for no reason at the moment. This could be a problem with the AI checks for aggressive behavior or some sort of standings/bounty/pp check error.

Ending the devil's advocate posting; do not post poo poo like that when some people have lost possibly weeks or months of effort and are severely disillusioned with the game. jfc

I actually think she is a good dev but posting garbage like this without a coherent or sympathetic argument is just petulant and does you no favors. You are right that the AI behavior and the module bugs are separate issues and she probably has very little if any blame for the one-shotting npcs.

Her AI tuning, while a bit aggressive, does not seem to be much more challenging than before--aside from the use of special modules which can be troublesome in some situations. Aside from the one shotting do to certain bug interactions, shes done a good job.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Fishreds99 posted:

I actually think she is a good dev but posting garbage like this without a coherent or sympathetic argument is just petulant and does you no favors. You are right that the AI behavior and the module bugs are separate issues and she probably has very little if any blame for the one-shotting npcs.

Her AI tuning, while a bit aggressive, does not seem to be much more challenging than before--aside from the use of special modules which can be troublesome in some situations. Aside from the one shotting do to certain bug interactions, shes done a good job.

The "AI tuning" was largely just letting the AI cheat to an absurd extend.

I got interdicted by an Elite Anaconda.

I was 24x masslocked out to 12km and even when the thing was so loving far away from me it wasn't even a blip on the sensor it was hitting me with a frag cannon acculturate enough to bring my thrusters down to 14% before i could warp out.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Xae posted:

The "AI tuning" was largely just letting the AI cheat to an absurd extend.

I got interdicted by an Elite Anaconda.

I was 24x masslocked out to 12km and even when the thing was so loving far away from me it wasn't even a blip on the sensor it was hitting me with a frag cannon acculturate enough to bring my thrusters down to 14% before i could warp out.

Those are the bugged engineering modules though.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

hobbesmaster posted:

[...]

Eyud posted:

She didn't actually do anything like that, she just wrote an awful story about how she wishes she could.

This topic would be more interesting if both those statements were false.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
What the hell ship is that in the first 2 pics.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Dante80 posted:

That is a pretty good combo in my book. She is also pretty good with AI, I remember back in the alpha/first premium beta the 3rd tutorial mission against a single advanced sidewinder (it was a bitch to kill, FDEV had to downgrade the AI in that mission after a couple of builds).

Some nice images.

<<nice images>>

I honestly think Frontier has some of the best artists in the business. I'm doing 3d modeling/texturing/animation on my Star Citizen parody space game (Solar Plebeian), working on a cockpit recently. I've been looking at some of Elite's cockpits for inspiration and hints about composition, texturing and lighting. loving hell man. Just look at the details, the little consoles, hubs, all the different materials for each little panel, wear and tear, etc. It's an absolute master's class:

For reference, here's an in-game video of the WIP immersion cockpit in the Goonrathi Scout autism chariot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FucIzBxwN9k

Now, I'm nowhere near a pro 3d artist (I'm a programmer, just learning how to model/animate). But that thing took me at least 40 hrs. And it doesn't even begin to come close to a single E:D cockpit.

I give Frontier a lot of poo poo, but I absolutely love their game at a fundamental, technical, and artistic level.

Toops fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 2, 2016

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I need a pgabz button in my life.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

RabidWeasel posted:

I need a pgabz button in my life.

We all do, my friend. We all do.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Insert coin to :pgabz:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Toops posted:

I honestly think Frontier has some of the best artists in the business. I'm doing 3d modeling/texturing/animation on my Star Citizen parody space game (Solar Plebeian), working on a cockpit recently. I've been looking at some of Elite's cockpits for inspiration and hints about composition, texturing and lighting. loving hell man. Just look at the details, the little consoles, hubs, all the different materials for each little panel, wear and tear, etc. It's an absolute master's class:

For reference, here's an in-game video of the WIP immersion cockpit in the Goonrathi Scout autism chariot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FucIzBxwN9k

Now, I'm nowhere near a pro 3d artist (I'm a programmer, just learning how to model/animate). But that thing took me at least 40 hrs. And it doesn't even begin to come close to a single E:D cockpit.

I give Frontier a lot of poo poo, but I absolutely love their game at a fundamental, technical, and artistic level.

Frontier does a lot of things well. It's just frustrating that they also seem hellbent on shooting themselves in the foot.

E: That feeling when you rank up with an engineer and can buy your next level FSD upgrade

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 2, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Payouts for Long Distance Smuggling have been reduced.

But they are easier. I haven't seen anything resembling Shadow Deliveries. From Maia to about 200 LY away, I only encountered one NPC ship, and he tried to interdict me and my back was to the star in the system. Needless to say as soon as he started interdicting me, he went up in a blaze of glory. The hardest part was getting enough reputation with the Ant Hill Mob as their lowest mission required Cordial. Good thing they accepted Exploration data to get standing.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

It seems like FDEV have added some type of treasure hunt to the game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/4m7w71/treasure/

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Dante80 posted:

I wonder how long it will be until those payouts get reduced, since that's actually a decent amount of credits for something that seems like fun!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dante80 posted:

Holy poo poo, an actual potentially fun side activity?

I'm calling photoshop.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Mahatma-Squid posted:

I wonder how long it will be until those payouts get reduced, since that's actually a decent amount of credits for something that seems like fun!

You have to go quite a way sometimes to get them, and they're fairly rare to get as a reward.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Agreed, it's a start though.

In other news..

quote:

Elite Dangerous: Horizons update 2.1.02

Greetings commanders, we have an update on the way this morning for PC and Mac platforms.

The galactic servers will go offline at 10AM UK time and we expect for up to two hours of maintenance.

Below are the changes for this update.

Stability Fixes
- Prevent crash on encountering a replicated cash-for-cargo trader
- Fix server crash on non-turn platforms
- Fix for VR crash entering a location
- Guard against player recreation when transferring location for exploration databases

General Tweaks & Fixes
- Fixed commander name on Xbox when receiving an inbox message for a newly granted system permit
- Fix rank up notification inbox messages being incorrectly hidden
- Fix ammo being incorrectly removed from modules that have had their ammo capacity increased by an Engineer
- When resurrecting at a station controlled by a hostile faction, automatically adjust the reputation up to disliked to avoid unnecessary peril
- Added latest batch of translations
- Various text fixes

NPCs
- Fix NPCs ending up with overpowered hybrid weapons
- Stop NPCs deciding to attack if they only attack opposing powers and the player and AI powers are aligned to the same superpower
- Slight rebalance of the ambient AI rank chances, should see slightly less of the top end and more of the low/mid range
- Smooth out the mission-spawned USS AI levels so that high ranks are rarer and only elite missions hit the top end ai (though deadly can get close)

Engineers
- Un-filter blueprints when entering the blueprints selection panel

Missions
- Correct Microresource contract panel is now being used in any panel at a mission's hand in stage(s). This should now indicate why a mission cannot be handed in if the player's microresource inventory is full
- Using a Discovery Scanner in Planetary Rescue or Salvage missions should now give an inbox message
- Microresouce Contract Elements now included on relevant panels
- Fix target spawn times and allow new destination delivery missions to work
- Fix landable planet issue with dynamic scan rescue

Powerplay
- Fix incorrect thresholds displayed for Fortify and Undermine actions
- Fix being unable to deliver Powerplay commodities in a handful of starsystems, including Sol
- Fix Zachary Hudson's actions when being opposed by other Federal powers
- Fix supporters of Independent powers being unable to earn merits from conflict zones
- Fix a bug in the Powerplay turn processor so it once again gives the correct result for preparations

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=259444

King of Cheeses
Jul 25, 2007
Crusty on the outside, smooth and creamy on the inside.

IAmTheRad posted:

Payouts for Long Distance Smuggling have been reduced.

But they are easier. I haven't seen anything resembling Shadow Deliveries. From Maia to about 200 LY away, I only encountered one NPC ship, and he tried to interdict me and my back was to the star in the system. Needless to say as soon as he started interdicting me, he went up in a blaze of glory. The hardest part was getting enough reputation with the Ant Hill Mob as their lowest mission required Cordial. Good thing they accepted Exploration data to get standing.

Indeed it seems shadow deliveries have gone and have been replaced with normal cargo missions with good but reduced payouts and higher cargo requirements so you can't stack as many of them. You don't have to worry about being scanned and are far less likely to be interdicted. In Ceos and adjacent Sothis I'm getting these cargo run missions with 3 - 5 million payouts each for around 16 jumps in my ASP. They all end up in the same area and so you can get a 10+ million payout for an hour's gameplay easy, cargo space permitting.

There's also a new mission mechanic which is paying way too much and could be a result of Ceos and Sothis being close, but also far out in the bubble. Its a cargo mission, usually to transport illicit goods. Its a "we'll tell you where to deliver to when you arrive in system X" type mission, but with no other systems even remotely close to Ceos and Sothis its a no-brainer. It goes like this:

1. take mission in Ceos, travel to Sothis (1 jump)
2. immediately you get instructions to deliver to the local station
3. collect 7 - 8 million!

I've had this mission twice. 7 - 8 million for 10 minutes gameplay.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

quote:

- Guard against player recreation when transferring location for exploration databases

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

King of Cheeses posted:

There's also a new mission mechanic which is paying way too much and could be a result of Ceos and Sothis being close, but also far out in the bubble. Its a cargo mission, usually to transport illicit goods. Its a "we'll tell you where to deliver to when you arrive in system X" type mission, but with no other systems even remotely close to Ceos and Sothis its a no-brainer. It goes like this:

1. take mission in Ceos, travel to Sothis (1 jump)
2. immediately you get instructions to deliver to the local station
3. collect 7 - 8 million!

I've had this mission twice. 7 - 8 million for 10 minutes gameplay.

that's pre-2.1 board skimming money! yaay

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Looks like FDev is going to reimburse all insurance payouts since Engineers went live.

So my stupid mistake that led to me pancaking my Python on a 2G planet will be erased, yaaaaaay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Akion posted:

Looks like FDev is going to reimburse all insurance payouts since Engineers went live.

So my stupid mistake that led to me pancaking my Python on a 2G planet will be erased, yaaaaaay.

Good on them.

• Locked thread