Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Policenaut posted:

when Destiny hands out crazy Sci-Fi poo poo.

the only cool sci fi guns in destiny are fusion rifles. everything else is like semi auto rifle, full auto rifle, 3 round burst rifle, handgun, sniper, shotty, machine gun, rocket launcher with varying levels of sci fi modeling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't think realism should necessarily be a big factor in city design for games, especially in favor of gameplay concerns

But when you have neither, you get Watch_Dogs

gently caress, that game had a stupid pointless poker activity that took forever to play. I can't imagine anyone thought that was fun.

Spider-Tank was the best part of that game, though, I really liked that

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Awesome! posted:

the only cool sci fi guns in destiny are fusion rifles. everything else is like semi auto rifle, full auto rifle, 3 round burst rifle, handgun, sniper, shotty, machine gun, rocket launcher with varying levels of sci fi modeling

I'm mostly looking at the armor, really. I love that aesthetic, like I look at Destiny characters and they all look like different stuff especially with the shader options, but yeah Destiny to me does a great job of hiding how simple the weapons really are with cool art design and that makes me WANT to get them. I want to get that cool auto rifle because it looks like this glowing blue thing with tons of bits and bobs!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Destiny doesn't have nearly as many guns as it seems, the 11 weapon categories are subdivided into 2-3 archetypes each (mostly along the fire rate/damage per bullet tradeoff) and the rest is perk roll and cosmetics. But the "sci fi modeling" really does make all the difference- not only does it allow them to be more colors than tan/gray/black, it lets them have any mechanical greeble imaginable attached. Spikes, rails, reinforced panels, muzzle venting, stripes, little vane things, pointless side lumps, magazines sticking out wherever, bone plating, random tubes and wires, glowy lights. It lets all the guns look and feel as though they're distinct from each other even if the stat differences are minor. A game set in the real world can't get away with that.

And yeah, armor is a whole other world on top of that.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 2, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

morallyobjected posted:

how close was NYC in Spider-Man 2? that city felt huge and had some landmarks (and the fictional buildings, obviously) but it's not like I've ever been.

obviously they didn't model unique buildings outside of landmarks but nyc is pretty easy to not gently caress up the feel of so long as you have a grid and space the iconic buildings out approximately correctly you're going to nail the experience of being between 14th street and central park.

nobody gets the southern end of manhattan that close because its a rats nest of dutch colonial streets and the nothern end barely gets treated at all, although the rfk bridge is pretty well realized in gtaiv and going to the bronx in that game is practically identical to the real highway overpasses.

if w_d's wanted to nail the feel of chicago it would have the bodies of water in the right place and the north side would be full of massive 5 way intersection clusterfucks and every different ethnic group would be segregated as gently caress

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Real hurthling! posted:

the rfk bridge

Out.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Count Chocula posted:

They should cut out the gaming bit and just sell them as virtual vacations.

Open world games are pretty OK for this, yeah. I remember playing Dead Island in the dead of winter one year as a little virtual island vacation.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

unlawfulsoup posted:

time to grind fucktons of resources for a 1/100 chance in getting a worthwhile gun.

Ah good, one of the very worst things about Phantasy Star Universe is back from the grave.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Peel posted:

I don't know anyone actively excited for it but a fair few curious given how AC developed from 1 to 2.

I'm in this camp. Watch_Dogs had some good ideas and I had fun with it, but it was a really flawed game. If they ditch the protagonist, refine the mechanics and craft a more interesting story it has the potential to be great.

It also greatly suffered from Ubi hyping it beyond any possible expectation for two and a half years and doing the whole 'graphics downgrade' thing (I thought it looked fine but people get annoyed about this kind of thing).

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It could have had the greatest graphics of all time and still would have been bad

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MZ posted:

I'm in this camp. Watch_Dogs had some good ideas and I had fun with it, but it was a really flawed game. If they ditch the protagonist, refine the mechanics and craft a more interesting story it has the potential to be great.

It also greatly suffered from Ubi hyping it beyond any possible expectation for two and a half years and doing the whole 'graphics downgrade' thing (I thought it looked fine but people get annoyed about this kind of thing).

Starting it's development in 2009 (apparently) and fumbling about for five years problem didn't help either - There's a bunch of things in the story that read like they got scribbled over halfway through, or came from about three different versions of the script pasted together. I'd bet good money that Aiden started off as the father instead of a doting uncle, before they realized being rear end in a top hat Hacker 24/7 would mean he's a bad father, so scribble that out for uncle and done :effort:. He doesn't care about people knowing he's The Fox, a name that's hardly mentioned in favour of general "vigilante" most of the game, until suddenly it's a big shock that his identity is revealed to the public... after the radio and TV's have been repeatedly reporting Aiden is the mysterious vigilante for the previous few chapters without Aiden giving two shits about it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Is there any way to set the panning on the PS4's headphone output from the controllers? Like on iPhones there's an option to make the Left or Right side louder. I'm a bit hard of hearing in my right ear and was wondering if any knows of any solutions!

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is there any way to set the panning on the PS4's headphone output from the controllers? Like on iPhones there's an option to make the Left or Right side louder. I'm a bit hard of hearing in my right ear and was wondering if any knows of any solutions!

The official Sony headset app is pretty barebones but it might have L-R settings?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

You lost me.

But seriously, NO.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fuzz posted:

You lost me.

But seriously, NO.

Hey your taxes paid for those sign changes

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I got an email from Rockstar yesterday where if I log back on to GTA Online by June 5th they'll give me $100k in fun bux. I guess they're trying to get lapsed fans to come back. I really liked GTA V but the online stuff was just too bogged down by load times and everything being just inconsistent as hell.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Not sure if there's anything related to audio in there but the PS4 has some pretty extensive accessibility options in the settings menu, I'd check that first

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Light Gun Man posted:

Open world games are pretty OK for this, yeah. I remember playing Dead Island in the dead of winter one year as a little virtual island vacation.

A bit stressful for a vacation.

Speaking of Dead Island,, I very much enjoyed Act 1 of the first game. Will I enjoy Dying Light as well, then?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

John F Bennett posted:

Speaking of Dead Island,, I very much enjoyed Act 1 of the first game. Will I enjoy Dying Light as well, then?

DL is way better that DI

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

muscles like this? posted:

I got an email from Rockstar yesterday where if I log back on to GTA Online by June 5th they'll give me $100k in fun bux. I guess they're trying to get lapsed fans to come back. I really liked GTA V but the online stuff was just too bogged down by load times and everything being just inconsistent as hell.

GTA V multiplayer was ruined by not having drop in co-op. Having to reload everything every time you want to do a mission and keep playing co-op is loving awful.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

Dying Light was kind of a really nice surprise to an otherwise tiring genre. It is a lot of fun to whack zed with all sorts of weapons and parkour around the city. The expansion isn't too bad either.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Gail Wynand posted:

Then why does the John Hancock Building look nothing like in reality, it's not exactly hard to model.

Because they are lazy/didn't care. Architectural copyright doesn't apply to reproducing publicly visible buildings in the United States.

One of the most famous exceptions to this is the copyright granted to the lighting scheme of the Eiffel Tower, which means you need a license to sell photographs of it taken at night.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Wasn't that PS2 game The Getaway pretty accurate to London? You could only enter like 5 buildings, but it seems like they put a lot of care into it from what I remember.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

rabidsquid posted:

GTA V multiplayer was ruined by not having drop in co-op. Having to reload everything every time you want to do a mission and keep playing co-op is loving awful.

GTA V co-op was trash. Like the base game missions are already 10 minutes of waiting/commuting for every minute of doing stuff, now just imagine that ratio were 20:1 plus you have wait in lobbies and poo poo

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

gently caress, that game had a stupid pointless poker activity that took forever to play. I can't imagine anyone thought that was fun.
I liked it, but they also basically lifted it directly from Far Cry 3.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

PS2 era (I think) but True Crime: Streets of LA was fairly accurate, especially in terms of recognisable landmarks as far as I can remember.

Sadly to experience any of this you had to play True Crime: Streets of LA.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Weavered posted:

PS2 era (I think) but True Crime: Streets of LA was fairly accurate, especially in terms of recognisable landmarks as far as I can remember.

Sadly to experience any of this you had to play True Crime: Streets of LA.

It wasn't all bad. At least you get to see the terrible plot go completely off the rails on the good ending path as you fight ancient Chinese dragons under a triad owned restaurant and finish things up by getting into a fist fight with some Korean General at the airport.

This all sounds more interesting than it actually is though.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I present to you the unlawfulsoup bloodborne experience:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

My cousins says GTAV is the greatest multiplayer of all time (I've never played it). Reading these responses I'm wondering how the gently caress he came to that conclusion.

He even said the single player is pointless and the multiplayer is where it's at.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kirios posted:

My cousins says GTAV is the greatest multiplayer of all time (I've never played it). Reading these responses I'm wondering how the gently caress he came to that conclusion.

He even said the single player is pointless and the multiplayer is where it's at.
The people that are into it are way into it, its like a weirdass Second Life thing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Rockstar agrees since they are making billions off it.

e: ok, $500 million.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If I were to watch one of those cutscene movies on Youtube of Uncharted, should I watch all 4 games or skip some?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you should buy the uncharted collection and uncharted 4 instead

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

If I were to watch one of those cutscene movies on Youtube of Uncharted, should I watch all 4 games or skip some?

jesus christ

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

the cutscenes aren't the problem in any of them but also you probably shouldn't watch that if you can help it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Josh Lyman posted:

If I were to watch one of those cutscene movies on Youtube

MODS?!!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The climbing is the best gameplay part of Uncharted 4 in my opinion. They added multiple paths and the rope made things fresh! It works really well with stealth! Climbing fun.

What I'm saying it make the youtube videos you watch include the climbing.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Kirios posted:

Doing co-op missions, death matches, and/or races are bad, because everything goes through a separate lobby that frequently fails, and matchmaking is broken to non-existent. Attempting any of these with pubbies rather than friends is asking for a bad time.

Free roam is great though, it's endless chaos that doesn't have a waiting screen. It's enhanced with people you know, but isn't necessary.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Samurai Sanders posted:

If you live in New York, LA or Tokyo you're used to having video game versions of your cities that are different in weird ways, I assume. Being from Seattle I only have that one Infamous game to go of of, and it's definitely just bizarre. I assume it's done for gameplay reasons and not the reason you are saying, though.

GTA4's New York is actually damned good. Its obviously shrunk and some things aren't perfect, but it hits all the major landmarks.

The Division is even more accurate, its a smaller portion of NYC by far but its extremely detailed.

Policenaut posted:

Which has the worst endgame? Destiny or Division?

Destiny wins since it has been patched with lots of new content (that they charged you tons of money for and took over a year) Division might get better after some xpacs drop.

Destiny Vanilla vs Division is a much tougher call. They both have abysmal endgames.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ah good, one of the very worst things about Phantasy Star Universe is back from the grave.

Destiny was sold as a Halo Online MMO experience, but really it is 100% Bungie's Phantasy Star Online.

If they'd marketed it that way from the start nobody would have been upset about the content or repetitiveness, but then far less people would have bought it too I guess.

Division is a little better about letting you actually see other players and stuff, but barely.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Vanilla Division was more fun because of Dark Zone. I will never play the game again no matter how much they release for it though because there are too many good games coming out this year to even think about going back to that thing.

• Locked thread