Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Devian666 posted:

I'm not sure either. Maybe they think their 401k is sorted.

Ha ha. Oh God.

I think the thing with cars is, it's rarely worth having a sports car or a super nice car. If you can afford it, whatever, but it simply doesn't make sense for most people.

My inlaws bought a Polaris Slingshot last year. Fun as gently caress to drive. I would never own one, especially considering they live in the midwest.

Hell, if you really have the need for speed, they do those track events where you can drive a Viper or whatever for a couple of laps for 100 bucks. Or just rent a mustang or camero for the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I actually know of a person who is DINK and they make around 80,000 yearly and have no cars, yet once or twice a month rent muscle cars to just drive around. I found it weird, but I guess it kinda makes sense.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
My own BWM story: I bought a HTC Vive.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Vahakyla posted:

once or twice a month rent muscle cars to just drive around

I did that with the new Jaguar F-Type R last year. I wouldn't do it again, but it was a fun weekend treat.

(The owner leased it just to rent it out to losers like me. If he charges enough per rental to cover the lease and insurance and incidentals, is that still BWM?)

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 2, 2016

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Doubly stupid since you can buy a motorcycle for a few grand that's faster than any car under $100,000. Also your girlfriend will probably hate it so you can save money when you don't have a wedding.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I did that with the new Jaguar F-Type R last year. I wouldn't do it again, but it was a fun weekend treat.

(The owner leased it just to rent it out to losers like me. If he charges enough per rental to cover the lease and insurance and incidentals, is that still BWM?)

depends on if his insurance or your own would cover any incident that happened with the car. what if someone he rented it to had it stolen? recipe for legal disaster.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MrKatharsis posted:

Doubly stupid since you can buy a motorcycle for a few grand that's faster than any car under $100,000. Also your girlfriend will probably hate it so you can save money when you don't have a wedding.

Buying life insurance on your superbike owning boyfriend: GWM.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

H110Hawk posted:

Buying life insurance on your superbike owning boyfriend: GWM.

Superbike lol. You can do wicked acceleration on a NINJA 250 and get killed just as easy and still not spend more than like 1500$ from craigslist.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Lysandus posted:

My own BWM story: I bought a HTC Vive.

My own GWM story: I bought two HTC Vives and sold one on ebay for $2200. Got my vive for free.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
My in-laws have a 2015 Mazda whatever they call the Miata now, a 2015 Mazda CX7, a 2016 BMW X5 and now also a 2014 used BMW 3 series sedan of some kind that they just bought.

There are two of them, and my mother in law is disabled and doesn't drive. The miata is her "fun car" and the X5 is her car that the housekeepers drive her around in. The CX7 is my father in law's daily driver. The sedan was the result of trading in a 2010ish BMW 3 series convertible that had some issue that was keeping it from passing inspection. It is literally the car he has to drive his dogs around in. His dogs that chew on car interiors and destroy cars. Last week, when my husband said his dad was taking the convertible in to the dealership, I just assumed he was going to sell it to them for whatever since it was actually paid off. No.

Coming from poverty, even after having been with my husband since I was 14 (20 years) and married in to this family for 10 years, I still just cannot comprehend this kind of spending. They also still live in a huge six bedroom house (they only ever had 2 kids) that costs thousands of dollars a month in utilities.

GIVE ME MONEY TO PAY OFF MY HUSBAND'S STUDENT LOANS FROM LAW SCHOOL YOU PRETENTIOUS JERKS!!!! :rant:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

r0ck0 posted:

Lysandus posted:

In my experience, once you lend family money, you look like an ATM to them. I now have family that won't talk to me because I won't 'lend' them money anymore. Like I'm somehow the rear end in a top hat because worked hard to get a good career and try to be responsible with my money.
humblebrag?

That's not a humblebrag

Phone posted:

I figured out that I can get the bus costs down from $4.50/day to under $2.70 with a pretax benefit from work.

I still am going to have 2 cars, a truck, 1/3 of a race car, and a scooter.

I might actually drive less than 10k/miles a year (I've averaged between 16k and 20k since I started driving in 2006).

Having 1.33 race cars is super BWM. But still better than a horse.

This is a humblebrag.

No relevance to anything except being a post about CARZ and HORSEZ, no point except for "heh, look at how GWM I, forums goon Phone, am :smuggo:", but with a shoehorned-in thread reference to try and hide it. This is a humblebrag.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Please tell me how having two car payments, paying back student loans (one of which isn't even in my name), and having only a few thousand dollars as a safety net is a humblebrag or good with money. Please, please, please tell me.

Or... it could be a continuation of the conversation from yesterday about the abysmal state of public transit in the US and me figuring out that I will actually have access to decent transit in 6 weeks time.

Phone fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 2, 2016

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

Phone posted:

Please tell me how having two car payments, paying back student loans (one of which isn't even in my name), and having only a few thousand dollars as a safety net is a humblebrag or good with money. Please, please, please tell me.

You're making it worse

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
No fair enough, I hosed up writing my post. I meant to write "cool and good" rather than "GWM". I don't know how good with money you are and, judging from your post, I guess you aren't. Sorry for the confusion. My point stands.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Phone posted:

Or... it could be a continuation of the conversation from yesterday about the abysmal state of public transit in the US and me figuring out that I will actually have access to decent transit in 6 weeks time.

You should start a thread :allears:

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Phone posted:

I still am going to have 2 cars, a truck, 1/3 of a race car, and a scooter.

Phone posted:

Please tell me how having two car payments, paying back student loans (one of which isn't even in my name), and having only a few thousand dollars as a safety net is a humblebrag or good with money.

Maybe you should sell some of that stupid poo poo you bought.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

You should start a thread :allears:
Yeah, totally. Also, don't link it here. Thanks

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Inverse Icarus posted:

some people my family buy or lease new luxury cars every three years or so and one time they were ribbing me for still driving my 99 Honda Accord. My brother and I both explained that cars are just metal boxes to move you around and nothing else really matters, but they stared at us like we were from another planet.

I like how MMM calls cars luxury wheelchairs.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Nitrox posted:

Yeah, totally. Also, don't link it here. Thanks

Thread is here.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 3, 2016

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Inverse Icarus posted:

some people my family buy or lease new luxury cars every three years or so and one time they were ribbing me for still driving my 99 Honda Accord. My brother and I both explained that cars are just metal boxes to move you around and nothing else really matters, but they stared at us like we were from another planet.

Yes, much in the same way that a house is just walls and a roof to block rain from falling on your head and hold your belongings, clothing is just material to cover your naked body, food is just calories to allow your cells to continue to respirate, etc etc

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Phone posted:

Thread is here.

Bad with money: being in debt and then posting a link that violates the rules and should result in a ban.

Jan 11, 2004

Phone posted:

Actual public transit exists only in Real Cities in America, places like Chicago, New York, and now Denver.

For example, I live in a fairly populous region, about 2 million people across the Triangle. I can't find a number on the area, but Wake county has 1 million people in 857 square miles.

I currently live 17 miles door-to-door from work that is in the heart of RTP. It takes me 22 minutes to get to work if the freeway doesn't have any accidents. I live right next to a few bus stops.

If I want to make it into the office by 9am, I have to hop on a bus at 7:04am to arrive at 8:44. This includes 2 bus changes and about half a mile in between each change. It'll also cost me $3.50 for the fare. So a combined 1.5 miles of walking (no biggie), riding on 3 buses total, for $3.50 and 100 minutes of total travel time.

We had some transportation experts come in last year and said that traffic wasn't bad enough to warrant a light rail system because why would you ever want to invest in the future? Denver's system is thriving because they decided to actually invest in the loving thing. This is have state of public transit in America.

Well, the problem with the Triangle light rail system is that it constitutes a modest incremental convenience compared to current bus routes for people who live on the proposed line between Durham and Chapel Hill, and costs $1.8 billion for everyone else who pays for it, not to mention funding the inevitable chronic operating cost shortfalls. Realizing that it would be insane to spend 3.5x the combined annual budgets for the two cities on a light rail, the budgeting plan is counting on 50% of the construction to be paid for by the federal government and 25% to be paid for by the state government - other words, it only makes sense when spending someone else's money.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Well, the problem with the Triangle light rail system is that it constitutes a modest incremental convenience compared to current bus routes for people who live on the proposed line between Durham and Chapel Hill, and costs $1.8 billion for everyone else who pays for it, not to mention funding the inevitable chronic operating cost shortfalls. Realizing that it would be insane to spend 3.5x the combined annual budgets for the two cities on a light rail, the budgeting plan is counting on 50% of the construction to be paid for by the federal government and 25% to be paid for by the state government - other words, it only makes sense when spending someone else's money.

People living there don't pay federal or state taxes?

Jan 11, 2004

Zo posted:

People living there don't pay federal or state taxes?

Of course they do, they pay about I dunno, 0.2% of all state and federal taxes? It'd be great to get $1.4 billion dollars from the government to build a little railroad but the city and county would never for instance, try to issue $1.8 billion in bonds to fund it.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Droo posted:

Bad with money: being in debt and then posting a link that violates the rules and should result in a ban.

Yeah that link is pretty unfunny. It should result in a ban because it doesn't actually work. You're supposed to link to :goatsecx:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

TLG James posted:

Hell, if you really have the need for speed, they do those track events where you can drive a Viper or whatever for a couple of laps for 100 bucks. Or just rent a mustang or camero for the weekend.

When I was in Vegas last year, there are places where you can basically rent a couple of highend sports cars on a scenic road. It was a couple hundred bucks and if I had time I probably would have talked myself into it. Its not like I'm ever going to own a Ferrari.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Devian666 posted:

Yeah that link is pretty unfunny. It should result in a ban because it doesn't actually work. You're supposed to link to :goatsecx:

:hfive:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What was the link? The whole point is that nobody should be going to his lovely thread, so I never clicked.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

He tried to link to the logout page, but since each logout link is personalized now, it didn't even work.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Nitrox posted:

What was the link? The whole point is that nobody should be going to his lovely thread, so I never clicked.

It just linked to the SA logout button.

e: welp that'll teach me not to refresh

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

TLG James posted:

I think the thing with cars is, it's rarely worth having a sports car or a super nice car. If you can afford it, whatever, but it simply doesn't make sense for most people.

I still think a super nice car is worth it, if only to show off. But you have to be able to afford that super nice car. And the statistics show most people can't. The average US car loan is 68 months, with almost a third of all US car loans lasting between 73-84 months. If you have to take a +60 month loan to buy that BMW, you can't afford the BMW.

Carbon Copy
Jul 4, 2007
In the image of the Lord.
Although if the apr is less than 2% I'd probably take the longest terms they would allow me.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Carbon Copy posted:

Although if the apr is less than 2% I'd probably take the longest terms they would allow me.

For every one responsible person that gets a <1-2% auto loan and could actually afford to pay cash and is instead just using the time value of money to their advantage, you just know for sure there are at least ten Americans that are using a long-term loan to stretch their budget far more than they should.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

golden bubble posted:

I still think a super nice car is worth it, if only to show off. But you have to be able to afford that super nice car. And the statistics show most people can't. The average US car loan is 68 months, with almost a third of all US car loans lasting between 73-84 months. If you have to take a +60 month loan to buy that BMW, you can't afford the BMW.

That's a terrible reason, is that sarcasm? Most of the cars for showing off your wealth depreciate the fastest.

I wonder what the brand, model and apr breakdown are from that experian report. I'm betting shitloads of expensive trucks.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BraveUlysses posted:

That's a terrible reason, is that sarcasm? Most of the cars for showing off your wealth depreciate the fastest.

I wonder what the brand, model and apr breakdown are from that experian report. I'm betting shitloads of expensive trucks.

And if you can afford it, what is wrong? That is the whole point behind showing off, isn't it? That you can eat the depreciation and afford a fancy car.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Fancy Ford and GM trucks don't depreciate nearly as fast as European/American luxury cars. Unfortunately.

The Clowning
Jan 10, 2007
I'm certainly not gonna sign for any more packages with the word "Congo" written in blood.

http://ask.metafilter.com/296586/quitting-job-to-day-trade-for-a-living-Need-Advice posted:

male, 43 yrs old, married with two kids (7 and 2), the only wage earner in the family. i know this step is incredibly risky and probably selfish too, but i am tired of my job and don't see a future even assuming i finally climb to the top of my career track. figure this is probably my last chance to do sth i would remember on my death bed. details below

geography: cheap part of NYC
saving: 12K net cash (after credit card debt)
investment: 15K, some stocks are in big red though
roth contribution which i can withdraw tax free and penalty free:48K
pension lump sum pay-out: 37K after 20% tax withholding if i don't roll it over, possible additional penalty late on (?)
family budget if i quit: 7K/month, including family health insurance (which i would have to buy on my own if i quit) 1.8K/month and car loan $800/month, no mortgage.

Questions: 1. any financial maneuvers i shall consider, e.g., register a company to collect legit expenses if i trade for a living? 2. any advice, ideas, comments, criticism, past experience, 2nd hand stories, all welcome and appreciated....

thank you for your time!

The responses are about what you'd expect, but I liked this follow-up from the OP:

quote:

why does day trading get such a bad rap? after diving in various traders forums, i do believe there are people living off trading, but they are such mythic creatures, i really can't pull one out of my pocket to show you.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

That loving idiot needs to make 6% a month just to cover his expenses. I don't think I'm going out on a limb here to say someone with such unrealistic expectations is probably not trader material.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

That same idiot on Metafilter posted:

hi, guys and gals, i am reading every post. thanks a lot for straight talks, maybe i am indeed going through a manic depressive episode right this moment lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Guy really just wants to be single again with no kids, without giving up half of his stuff. (Can't divide 0 in half)

• Locked thread