Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Chinese scan for 828:

http://www.ishuhui.com/post/376195

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And English scans

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/One-Piece/828---001-and-002?id=275609

I genuinely hope pudding is legit , and this isn't yet another doublecross. Also, jesus those last few pages, crazy brutal even for one piece.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

This arc is so loving neat.
Also, could it be? Finally, a Lola reference?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

This arc is so loving neat.
Also, could it be? Finally, a Lola reference?

definitely.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
They really are laying it on pretty thick about what a sweet (har har) girl Pudding is.

Watch it all be an elaborate ruse.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The only way I see the Pudding stuff going down is either she is being totally straight and Big Mom harshly responds to her insubordination leading to her being the saved character for this arc or this is an obvious trap.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Personally hoping for not a trap because it's such a huge cliche otherwise.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Obvious trap is obvious. The best we can hope for is that Pudding doesn't realize she's setting the bait.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Another hiatus? Jesus Christ, Oda...

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Crazyeyes posted:

Another hiatus? Jesus Christ, Oda...

Oh, I didn't even notice that. :(

Still, I feel like the pacing has overall been better (Dressrosa notwithstanding) since he started taking a break every 3-4 weeks, and this means more time for him to rest instead of working himself to death and leaving the story forever unfinished.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I would be fine with One Piece being biweekly let alone a hiatus once a month. Dude worked himself to total exhaustion on more than one occasion and they had to force a vacation on him, I'd rather he spend time with his family more often.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
So Whitebeard built a pirate group to replace the biological family he never had, and Big Mom deliberately bred a biological family to build her pirate group.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
so there was a character sitting in that room the entire time not speaking

gee i wonder whats going to happen...

(also i bet that warning was from jinbe)

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

anime was right posted:

A good observation. Not like that theory surprises me but the subtlety of his presence is cool

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

anime was right posted:

Which one? I missed that one.

E: You mean Blob Guy?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 2, 2016

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

His name is Nitro and he is a sentient Jello mobster

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i just realized that chopper at the entire table during their conversation oh my god i love you oda

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

yea, he looks like he works for capone or something lol

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Rereading the chapter, Pudding's 'description' of Sanji is suspect as hell. It sounds like she got all her information on him out of his wanted poster.

So yeah, not looking good on the 'it's not a totally obvious trap' front.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Pureauthor posted:

Rereading the chapter, Pudding's 'description' of Sanji is suspect as hell. It sounds like she got all her information on him out of his wanted poster.

she probably quoted lola verbatim

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Personally, I'm betting on the Sanji she met actually being one of his brothers, who himself got all the information from marine intel and whatnot. I don't know what the angle they'd be playing by doing such a thing, but that's just my gut feeling on the matter

I just want Pudding to honestly be on the good side and not evil. Pudding for 10th Strawhat.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Pureauthor posted:

This is probably something lost in translation, but Luffy and Chopper were laughing at Pudding because she thought his actual, physical legs were black, right? Not that he just wears black suits and kicks people?

I liked how incredibly practical Pedro was about everything. Girl swinging a knife around? Restrain her, put your sword to her throat and ask the captain for orders. Daughter of Big Mom in a position to ruin your covert operation? Recommend that you bound and gag her to cover loose ends.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Pudding seems like a good person. If things get hosed up because of her, it'll be because of her naivete, not her being bad.

On the more questionable side... Germa 66 seems pretty bad at first glance, but they might be okay guys. They may have terrifying power, but ending a two year conflict in four hours isn't necessarily a bad thing. Sure they're mercenaries, but ending conflict is ending conflict.

Between their brutal peacemaking, and Big Mom's creepy multi-racial utopia, this arc looks like it's going to have some interesting morally ambiguous situations. Keep in mind Jimbei is a subordinate of Big Mom- he must believe in her to some extent (though it may just have been that the other Yonkou were worse (and Shanks wasn't available)). And so far Pudding and Sanji seem like a really good match, even if the politics of it aren't good for the Strawhats.

I'm interested to see where this goes!

Shoren posted:

I liked how incredibly practical Pedro was about everything. Girl swinging a knife around? Restrain her, put your sword to her throat and ask the captain for orders. Daughter of Big Mom in a position to ruin your covert operation? Recommend that you bound and gag her to cover loose ends.
Yeah that was pretty good, both those things were pretty sensible, but also a comedic overreaction. Pedro was really coming into his own as a character this chapter.

Kind of a Zoro-like character, but of course he'd be in that broad archetype.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm sure if jinbe supports big mom because of the utopia thing she'll do something to expose it as a fraud publicly and he will turn on her on the spot

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Shoren posted:

This is probably something lost in translation, but Luffy and Chopper were laughing at Pudding because she thought his actual, physical legs were black, right? Not that he just wears black suits and kicks people?

Pedro clearly doesn't know how being a Straw Hat works.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Sanji is called Black Leg because of the charred effect his leg takes after he used to perform Diable Jambe, right?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Advice posted:

Sanji is called Black Leg because of the charred effect his leg takes after he used to perform Diable Jambe, right?

It's because he has black trousers/shoes on and he was taught how to fight by "Red Leg" Zeff.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Shoren posted:

That was the gag, yes. But everything she says about Sanji could be gleaned from his wanted poster. So if it's Pudding being naive, then it's just a gag, but if it's Pudding getting details wrong because she never actually met Sanji, then it's probably a trap. And the fact that she added something that would be extremely out of character (Sanji turning down a woman) lends weight to the trap theory. Personally, I want Sanji to have turned her down for the crew and for Pudding to be naive and a good match for Sanji. But it's looking like a trap.

Eiba posted:

Keep in mind Jimbei is a subordinate of Big Mom- he must believe in her to some extent (though it may just have been that the other Yonkou were worse (and Shanks wasn't available)).

If Big Mom wants truly believes in her Utopia, she might be a strong ally for Fishman Island when they bring those signatures and raise the issue of moving to surface at this year's Reverie. That would explain why Jimbei became her subordinate. What's more, it could also be why Big Mom is going ahead with marriage. If Germa 66 are still technically royalty even without a nation, then they would have standing to bring the Fishman Island issue to the table and a vote in its favor.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Maybe I'm misremembering events, but I thought it wasn't so much that Jinbe became Big Mam's subordinate, so much as Big Mam claimed Fishman Island after Whitebeard died (the Fishmen/Mermen needing protection since they aren't a WG nation), I never got the impression Jinbe had much say in the matter.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Pedro clearly doesn't know how being a Straw Hat works.
I have a feeling that this arc will be the roughest crash course in Straw Hats 101 for any of the temporary allies of the Straw Hats. May Pedro survive with some form of sanity afterwards.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Pudding is still keeping her third eye secret from the Straw Hats. Now, there's s lot of relatively innocent reasons why that might be, but it doesn't entirely fit with how incredibly friendly and open she's being here.

My money's still on 'clued in and ruthless but turns out to have a good heart beneath it all anyway'.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I believe in pudding

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

As I remember it, Jinbe reluctantly became Big Mam's subordinate in order to protect FI from ruin post-WB. Sure, she made outrageous/impossible demands on the civilians, but it is more stability than could probably have been gotten via Kaidou, and I don't think Shanks has all that much "territory" in the New World. He is just partying and floating around acting as a check to balance the others.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I really hope the message Pekoms left was chocolate

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I really hope the message Pekoms left was chocolate

???

It was scratched into the tiles?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Fishman Island being under Big Mam's protection wasn't much better than being under the protection of the mob. Their protection money was paid in the form of fantasy methamphetamines.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

lowercase16 posted:

That was the gag, yes. But everything she says about Sanji could be gleaned from his wanted poster. So if it's Pudding being naive, then it's just a gag, but if it's Pudding getting details wrong because she never actually met Sanji, then it's probably a trap. And the fact that she added something that would be extremely out of character (Sanji turning down a woman) lends weight to the trap theory. Personally, I want Sanji to have turned her down for the crew and for Pudding to be naive and a good match for Sanji. But it's looking like a trap.

I knew his moniker was a play on Zeff's and his legs ARE black when he's wearing his normal outfit and I felt confused that Luffy, of all people, was proclaiming it was because of something different. Anyway, that's a good point that everything she said about him could be gleaned from his wanted poster and it could all be a ruse because it seemed Sanji has been confined to that ship this whole time. Then again, his desire to return to the crew above all else (even how attractive Pudding is to him) is in character and that's not something she'd know without meeting him or hearing from Capone & Co.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shoren posted:

I knew his moniker was a play on Zeff's and his legs ARE black when he's wearing his normal outfit and I felt confused that Luffy, of all people, was proclaiming it was because of something different. Anyway, that's a good point that everything she said about him could be gleaned from his wanted poster and it could all be a ruse because it seemed Sanji has been confined to that ship this whole time. Then again, his desire to return to the crew above all else (even how attractive Pudding is to him) is in character and that's not something she'd know without meeting him or hearing from Capone & Co.

I think it's what he said to turn down Lola. Who is almost certainly another of Big Mom's daughters... and whose desperation to get married took a really dark turn in light of this new arc.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

I have a feeling that this arc will be the roughest crash course in Straw Hats 101 for any of the temporary allies of the Straw Hats. May Pedro survive with some form of sanity afterwards.

rabbit girl is gonna fit in just fine and that's all that matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I really hope Pudding isn't evil and becomes the 12th Straw Hat, I like her a lot so far.