Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Bloody posted:

define embedded systems and meaningful information. 100ms is anywhere between a lifetime or an instant

information is generated by a scanning lidar system, i have to pick information out of the return pulses and use that to calculate information about the sensor's location and motion and cross-reference that with information from other sources

embedded systems meaning anything down to and including single-threaded microcontrollers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

why hasn't someone designed a strict subset of C or new language for embedded applications that takes inspiration from stuff like JPL's coding standards and MISRA-C

that still would save some time over writing assembly

is it because the range of constraints are still too broad to be defined rigidly for a "language for embedded systems"

basically this problem i guess?

ada?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

oh yeah, that thing

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

why hasn't someone designed a strict subset of C or new language for embedded applications that takes inspiration from stuff like JPL's coding standards and MISRA-C

that still would save some time over writing assembly

is it because the range of constraints are still too broad to be defined rigidly for a "language for embedded systems"

basically this problem i guess?

i mean part of the problem is that people generally want more abstraction and features, not less. why would i want a language that enforces, say

quote:

Rule 16 (use of assertions)
Assertions shall be used to perform basic sanity checks throughout the
code. All functions of more than 10 lines should have at least one
assertion.

...when there are often perfectly legitimate reasons not to?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

code:
subtype Working_Hours is Hours range 0 .. 12;            -- at most 12 Hours to work a day
subtype Working_Day is Weekday range Monday .. Friday;   -- Days to work
reading this is bringing back memories of VHDL for some reason

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

quiggy posted:

i mean part of the problem is that people generally want more abstraction and features, not less. why would i want a language that enforces, say

cuz sometimes you want to be really sure you really have zero bugs

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i like ada

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

quiggy posted:

because we're flying space probes 3 billion miles from Earth :w00t:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

because we're flying space probes 3 billion miles from Earth :w00t:

i mean i get why those standards exist, and i picked that one for a reason. sanity checks are a good thing, and certainly when you're building a spacecraft to operate 3 billion miles from earth you want them everywhere. but imagine trying to write in a language that actually enforced those checks. you'd feel like you're writing INTERCAL where you have to pepper PLEASE statements every so often or else the compiler will yell at you for not obeying its rules, even though sometimes you might have a legitimately good reason to not have an assertion in an 11-line function

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

code:
subtype Working_Hours is Hours range 0 .. 12;            -- at most 12 Hours to work a day
subtype Working_Day is Weekday range Monday .. Friday;   -- Days to work
reading this is bringing back memories of VHDL for some reason
non-reliable sources on the Internet say that VHDL was inspired by Ada so i guess that makes sense

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

quiggy posted:

loaded up a rust tutorial because bossman is out today and im bored

lmao why the gently caress are the print functions actually macros

because their types can't really be expressed properly, and so that the compiler can check the format string matches the given args

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

quiggy posted:

any language where you have to explicitly declare self/this or w/e is loving awful, I'm a huge prick

This seems like a very strange reason to decide that a language is "loving awful".

In any case, from what I've heard Rust is not quite there yet for embedded stuff, so you are probably gonna be using C (or maybe ada or something idk). Which is fine, that's the sort of environment where C is kind of nice.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

assembly is rad

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

HoboMan posted:

assembly is rad

literally lmao if you don't code everything in raw machine language

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i use verilog so i can create my own machine language

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

most plangers don't really use runtime dynamism, they use dynamism to make writing code easier. you can use Marcos to allow dynamic language features without being dynamic at runtime

. it's a good thing

Does p-lang mean python/php/perl/poop? Or does it mean procedural language?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

HoboMan posted:

assembly is rad

I learned myself a little bit of assmebly this past week messing around with that MSP430 CTF thingy. I have to agree. It is pretty rad and debugging was rad and following the registers and whatnot was totally tubular.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

gonadic io posted:

because their types can't really be expressed properly, and so that the compiler can check the format string matches the given args

when are they going to make rust dependently typed

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Finster Dexter posted:

Does p-lang mean python/php/perl/poop?

If poop==JavaScript, then it's this one.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

p-langs are all the bad langs that start with p: python, php, perl, pruby, pjavascript

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

gonna start calling it p-yava-script thanks

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Share Bear posted:

gonna start calling it p-yava-script thanks

:same:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
pajamascript

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
: kramers into thread shouting erratically :

apparently some goons were talking about swift error handling in here, if anyone actually gives a gently caress they can ask about it, gently caress reading previous pages tho

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

rjmccall posted:

: kramers into thread shouting erratically :

apparently some goons were talking about swift error handling in here, if anyone actually gives a gently caress they can ask about it, gently caress reading previous pages tho

there was some poo poo about exceptions and eithers both existing

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ctps: i need a new thing to do in haskell or something this parser project is degenerating into solving the problem vs learning the lang

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

HoboMan posted:

assembly is rad

pyf asm

I like arm, flags only being set when you ask for it and branchless conditional execution are both neat.

also even gas uses the standard arm syntax instead of dumb at&t bs.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

best asm is tis-100

actual answer mips i guess? its the one ive used the most

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

quiggy posted:

best asm is tis-100

lol sorry for your loss

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Bloody posted:

lol sorry for your loss

ive never done much asm, the mips is only from a class i took on it in undergrad so w/e

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

msp430 asm is trash
atmel asm is slightly less trash
arm asm is pdeece
idk anything about any cisc asm

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

quiggy posted:

best asm is tis-100

the only mips I've ever used had hilarious design flaws like explicit delay slots. why yes I'd love to write code where the instruction after every branch op is executed even if the branch was taken, that is certainly a thing programmers should have to deal with

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

nobody actually writes mips in the real world. its a prank academia plays on undergrads

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

GameCube posted:

nobody actually writes mips in the real world. its a prank academia plays on undergrads
Nintendo 64 :3:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
overheard this the other day:

quote:

i have had a screen session open for a year and im hosed without it so

moments later the server in question was hard-powered down. hes hosed

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

hackbunny posted:

no, I get it, every line of code in C++ is, basically, a monad. it takes all variables, functions, etc. visible in the scope as inputs, and copies them to outputs, possibly modifying them, sometimes introducing new variables, sometimes erasing them if it's the end of a scope. I remember this from my computer science fundamentals course, every line of code being a function over all the variables that returns all the variables, with modifications, was one of the things I remember the best, but could never find a practical use for

where would a terrible programmer go to learn more things like this that isn't a university?

which 25 year old text book do i read?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Soricidus posted:

f# without the manual declaration/file order micromanagement bullshit would basically be the perfect pl

at first I thought this was a silly restriction but then I realized it never bothered me in Lisp

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Soricidus posted:

pyf asm

I like arm, flags only being set when you ask for it and branchless conditional execution are both neat.

also even gas uses the standard arm syntax instead of dumb at&t bs.

best asm is Motorola 680x0, by far

it's super easy to read and write and modify and all wonderfully orthogonal and also very complete in terms of both functionality and addressing modes

extra bonus: install a debugger on an old Mac running the original OS (pre System 7) and you can see the source code, modulo symbolic constants, since virtually the entire OS was actually written in asm—and later versions of MacsBug included tables of constants they applied to listings too

lots of classic Mac developers eschewed source level debugging prior to PowerPC because they could just as easily debug the generated code using MacsBug or TMON

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
ASM to mouth would be a good twit name or namechange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

quiggy posted:

any language where you have to explicitly declare self/this or w/e is loving awful, I'm a huge prick

Being explicit about scoping prevents a lot of dumb errors, though.

• Locked thread