Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Still room to line your pockets too, buy Smith and Wesson or whatever (ammo manufacturers esp) stock in October if Trump isn't polling well, then sell in like Feb for a big, easy, safe profit

MAD MONEY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Bombadilillo posted:

Don you know what OBAMA* did to ammo prices and avaialbility?

*idiots scared of Obama taking there guns so they hoarded ammo made a run on the product scaring themselves even more and Obummer still didnt tuk der gooons.

Trust me, I know and it pisses me off. It's hell to find any decent priced .22 just for plinking, and when you do it's limited quantities because "Patriotz be hoardin' dem some ammoz 4 da big gunz ban"

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Schnorkles posted:

The great irony of gun companies is that they are both rooting for and terrified of any political figure who wants gun control. Presidents advocating for it drives their sales through the roof, though there are obviously issues if they were to get serious measures passed.

Thanks to their lobbying and well-trained customers, any serious measures to limit guns seems to be at least a generation or so off.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's nice that gun manufacturers are able to make the best of a bad situation and see the bright side of things. It's a lesson we should all take to heart and apply in our everyday lives. Lets all try to be like them and maintain a positive outlook in the face of adversity.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

cumshitter posted:

I think it's nice that gun manufacturers are able to make the best of a bad situation and see the bright side of things. It's a lesson we should all take to heart and apply in our everyday lives. Lets all try to be like them and maintain a positive outlook in the face of adversity.

And hey for most bans they can just start selling new compliant stuff!

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

SocketWrench posted:

Trust me, I know and it pisses me off. It's hell to find any decent priced .22 just for plinking, and when you do it's limited quantities because "Patriotz be hoardin' dem some ammoz 4 da big gunz ban"

Yeah, my old boss was going around the office a few years ago asking everybody if they knew where he could pick up 10,000 or so rounds of .22 "for a friend"

He got fired not long after that so we were wondering for a while if we were going to have to worry about whether he ever found any or not because he had already tried to shoot his neighbor for way less

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lord of Pie posted:

Yeah, my old boss was going around the office a few years ago asking everybody if they knew where he could pick up 10,000 or so rounds of .22 "for a friend"

He got fired not long after that so we were wondering for a while if we were going to have to worry about whether he ever found any or not because he had already tried to shoot his neighbor for way less

If you aren't wearing a bulletproof vest and carrying a tactical clip board at all times I don't even know what you are doing with your life.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Lord of Pie posted:

... because he had already tried to shoot his neighbor for way less

How was he not arrested/still working?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Lord of Pie posted:

.22, the ammo of FREEDOM! I don't get why everyone thinks it's gonna do them more than jack poo poo against an actual government threat

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SocketWrench posted:

.22, the ammo of FREEDOM! I don't get why everyone thinks it's gonna do them more than jack poo poo against an actual government threat

FREEDOM MAGIC!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Schnorkles posted:

The great irony of gun companies is that they are both rooting for and terrified of any political figure who wants gun control. Presidents advocating for it drives their sales through the roof, though there are obviously issues if they were to get serious measures passed.

Gun companies aren't terrified because they know there's not going to be any 'serious measures' passed. 20 schoolchildren were brutally gunned down and all anyone can talk about is "well maybe more background checks" or some other bogus intellectual dishonesty, because nobody wants to go down the path of "maybe the ~*~founding fathers, praise be unto them~*~ straight-up got it wrong when it came to the Second Amendment."

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Gun companies aren't terrified because they know there's not going to be any 'serious measures' passed. 20 schoolchildren were brutally gunned down and all anyone can talk about is "well maybe more background checks" or some other bogus intellectual dishonesty, because nobody wants to go down the path of "maybe the ~*~founding fathers, praise be unto them~*~ straight-up got it wrong when it came to the Second Amendment."

The founding fathers really couldn't have possibly imagined the weapons technology of the future considering that they had been using breech loading muskets for over a hundred (hundreds?) years at that point

If I could, I'd like to go back in time and have a military man of the era, like Washington, try out a crate of handguns and assault rifles and see how he responds.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

it's pretty fun imagining a founding father trying to comprehend modern weaponry. it'd be like me trying to imagine the future weapons and all i can think of is that one episode of star trek where kirk goes to the evil universe and finds out that evil kirk has a secret computer that basically displays anyone on a monitor and that person will be instantly killed

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mr. Pumroy posted:

it's pretty fun imagining a founding father trying to comprehend modern weaponry. it'd be like me trying to imagine the future weapons and all i can think of is that one episode of star trek where kirk goes to the evil universe and finds out that evil kirk has a secret computer that basically displays anyone on a monitor and that person will be instantly killed

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Considering how staggeringly high the body counts were in wars in the revolutionary war and civil war I imagine they would be surprised the human race was even still alive.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I don't think it would take long at all for someone like Jackson especially to come to grips with the operation of a modern assault rifle and think up a few dozen hundred things he'd like to utilize them for

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Epic High Five posted:

I don't think it would take long at all for someone like Jackson especially to come to grips with the operation of a modern assault rifle and think up a few dozen hundred things he'd like to utilize them for

True, Jackson really did live for murder

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I wrote a change dot org petition to have the president say the words "did you know we technically have the ability to repeal the 2nd amendment?" It got zero thumbs up or whatever the gently caress metric counter eventually merits a response.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Once again, if we impliment gun control then the Founding Fathers will not get the blood sacrifices needed to ensure that the sun continues to rise and the sigils holding the lovecraftian horrors sealed beneath the various D.C. monuments will weaken enough for them to escape.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Like even the founders were smart enough to realize that the constitution shouldn't last forever:

Thomas Jefferson posted:

Every constitution, then, and every law, naturally expires at the end of nineteen years. If it be enforced longer, it is an act of force, and not of right. It may be said, that the succeeding generation exercising, in fact, the power of repeal, this leaves them as free as if the constitution or law had been expressly limited to nineteen years only. In the first place, this objection admits the right, in proposing an equivalent. But the power of repeal is not an equivalent. It might be, indeed, if every form of government were so perfectly contrived, that the will of the majority could always be obtained, fairly and without impediment. But this is true of no form. The people cannot assemble themselves; their representation is unequal and vicious. Various checks are opposed to every legislative proposition. Factions get possession of the public councils, bribery corrupts them, personal interests lead them astray from the general interests of their constituents; and other impediments arise, so as to prove to every practical man, that a law of limited duration is much more manageable than one which needs a repeal.

Meanwhile in highschool history class instead of learning the above we were taught that the founders wanted the constitution to be super-hard to change because they got it perfect on the first second third-ish try and the only reason it should ever be changed is because slavery was so bad that Honest Abe wrote up the 14th amendment himself and taped it on the bottom.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Like even the founders were smart enough to realize that the constitution shouldn't last forever:

Meanwhile in highschool history class instead of learning the above we were taught that the founders wanted the constitution to be super-hard to change because they got it perfect on the first second third-ish try and the only reason it should ever be changed is because slavery was so bad that Honest Abe wrote up the 14th amendment himself and taped it on the bottom.

The Founding Fathers, praises be upon them, weren't indoctrinated with two centuries worth of mythology that holds their documents as sacred truth from God's own hand like most of the old farts that dominate the electorate. That and they weren't quite as programmed with the idea that guns are divine tools of justice that everyone needs at all times like these hicks.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Geostomp posted:

The Founding Fathers, praises be upon them, weren't indoctrinated with two centuries worth of mythology that holds their documents as sacred truth from God's own hand like most of the old farts that dominate the electorate. That and they weren't quite as programmed with the idea that guns are divine tools of justice that everyone needs at all times like these hicks.

If they repeal the second amendment, I'd just like to see them try to take God's guns away

Advantageous
Apr 8, 2012

citybeatnik posted:

Once again, if we impliment gun control then the Founding Fathers will not get the blood sacrifices needed to ensure that the sun continues to rise and the sigils holding the lovecraftian horrors sealed beneath the various D.C. monuments will weaken enough for them to escape.

It's already starting. Why do you think the Washington monument is closed all the time? That's why all background checks and restrictions on weapons should be repealed.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Mirthless posted:

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Considering how staggeringly high the body counts were in wars in the revolutionary war and civil war I imagine they would be surprised the human race was even still alive.

It's always a little sobering to think just what would have happened if nukes were invented any earlier.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Geostomp posted:

I mean I'd go so far as to say that the second amendment absolutely did make sense at the time, the same way the third amendment probably seemed like a perfectly reasonable response to Britain using private homes to house soldiers but now just seems weird and antiquated and not something anyone would expect to have in the supreme document governing the government itself.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Advantageous posted:

It's already starting. Why do you think the Washington monument is closed all the time? That's why all background checks and restrictions on weapons should be repealed.

More importantly, where do you think Cruz came from

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Advantageous posted:

This is what is buried under the Washington monument:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7iVsdRbhnc

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Haystack posted:

It's always a little sobering to think just what would have happened if nukes were invented any earlier.

Isn't one of the current theories as to why there's been no signs of intelligent life out there is that, on the universe's time scale, it wasn't that long ago that it was relatively easy to make nukes with the material on hand and that they might have blown themselves to extinction while still at the feudalism stage of civilization?

zeal posted:

If it's a legitimate lovecraftian horror reality has ways of shutting it down.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I mean I'd go so far as to say that the second amendment absolutely did make sense at the time, the same way the third amendment probably seemed like a perfectly reasonable response to Britain using private homes to house soldiers but now just seems weird and antiquated and not something anyone would expect to have in the supreme document governing the government itself.

Ummm, the modern interpretation of the 3rd Amendment means freedom from government intrusion, since the whole point of quarter troops in private residences was to keep watch on citizens and/or coerce the populace, similar to what Louis XIV did by billeting dragoons in the homes of the Protestant Hugenots in France to intimidate them into converting to Catholicism)

Most famously, the 3rd Amendment was referenced in Griswold v. Connecticut, where the Supreme Court ruled that the government had no right to enforce the Comstock contraception laws because the defendants had a right to marital privacy, and was one of the establishing cases for Roe v. Wade.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Young Freud posted:

Ummm, the modern interpretation of the 3rd Amendment means freedom from government intrusion, since the whole point of quarter troops in private residences was to keep watch on citizens and/or coerce the populace, similar to what Louis XIV did by billeting dragoons in the homes of the Protestant Hugenots in France to intimidate them into converting to Catholicism)

Most famously, the 3rd Amendment was referenced in Griswold v. Connecticut, where the Supreme Court ruled that the government had no right to enforce the Comstock contraception laws because the defendants had a right to marital privacy, and was one of the establishing cases for Roe v. Wade.

gently caress yeah penumbra.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Peztopiary posted:

How was he not arrested/still working?

Arkansas

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Used to live in the Good Part of AR, can confirm story is plausible

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Young Freud posted:

More recently courts don't seem to think the 3rd amendment applies, at least as far as law enforcement is concerned.

By that ruling at least, as long as the court doesn't consider law enforcement as "soldiers" they can occupy your home indefinitely.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

zeal posted:

I thought we were all in agreement that he was a urine golem?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

As an Arkansan, I can vouch for this. Especially if the person was white.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Someone said guns so I'm contractually obligated to post something.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Geostomp posted:

As an Arkansan, I can vouch for this. Especially if the person was white.

He was, but he was a Yankee transplant wannabe redneck so he tried way too hard. His whole neighbor dispute was over retarded lake condo bullshit.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lord of Pie posted:

He was, but he was a Yankee transplant wannabe redneck so he tried way too hard. His whole neighbor dispute was over retarded lake condo bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9IyiH1D6XM&t=38s

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

SocketWrench posted:

Something that I have seen come up when it comes to planning for survival in the aftermath of a doomsday scenario, be it communist invasion, feral "zombie" hordes, or some plot of that homosexual, dope-addled archfiend Barry Soetoro, is what to do for money in this new economy. In addition to the obvious choices of gold and silver, I have read serious arguments in favor of canned food and ammunition, specifically .22 rounds; although why the end-times crowd have settled on .22s is beyond me.

It is a distinct possibility that Lord of Pie's former boss was outfitting a doomsday bunker.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

bedpan posted:

Something that I have seen come up when it comes to planning for survival in the aftermath of a doomsday scenario, be it communist invasion, feral "zombie" hordes, or some plot of that homosexual, dope-addled archfiend Barry Soetoro, is what to do for money in this new economy. In addition to the obvious choices of gold and silver, I have read serious arguments in favor of canned food and ammunition, specifically .22 rounds; although why the end-times crowd have settled on .22s is beyond me.

It is a distinct possibility that Lord of Pie's former boss was outfitting a doomsday bunker.

.22 is good for plinking and small game. That's pretty much it. I mean, you can totally kill a guy with a .22, but you need to try a lot harder than with an AR-brand AR in .223.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ehh. jefferson was big into the french revolution ideals of everything has to be changed every other year through revolution, he also believed that it would take 1000 years for us to colonized the rest of the Continent and it would be a massive food basket for the world, jefferson was weird like that.