Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
No matter how bad your team may be, at least you're not playing with DSP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J8D7d2y1F0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe they need to give widowmaker a jar of piss

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Papercut posted:

Checking the wiki, it looks like 1.25 for a regular arrow but only 0.5 for either scatter or sonic.

Is widow's charge time 1.5? Otherwise I'm going to lose my poo poo.

Also I learned yesterday she can just left click Winston in the face and win the fight.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
give hanzo a jar of piss

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Which is exactly what I said?

Apologies, I'm drunk and dumb.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

TheTatteredKing posted:

Is widow's charge time 1.5? Otherwise I'm going to lose my poo poo.

Also I learned yesterday she can just left click Winston in the face and win the fight.

Per the wiki, it's 1.4

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

General Morden posted:

did you not watch the tracer widowmaker story trailer

tracer gets owned by widowmaker

My favorite thing about those shorts is Reaper crushes Winston twice and then loses his best matchup because he has to stop to be an edgelord.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I heard that there's no OSX version of Overwatch because Apple dropped out of an agreement to port World of Warcraft to iOS. Is that really the case?

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

quote:

Genji - use dash to cover ground and pop your select if you know you have to cross open ground that she's covering. Break LOS, climb/double jump up to where she is, push her poo poo in.

Skill match-up, and one where Widowmaker has the advantage for being as simple as "click on Genji's head." At best, Genji can mind-game her, or Widowmaker can just ignore him if he's slowly covering ground. Genji using his dash to go between cover means he has no escape options from others. Widowmaker knows where Genji is if her Ult is up, which removes one of his largest assets in flanking.

quote:

Mei - make judicious use of ice walls to build cover for both you and your team. Rotate the wall and put it at your feet to reach her if you need to. Cocoon if you survive a hit and be ready to toss up a wall as soon as it breaks or you're dead. Get to her and ice up her poo poo. Slow and annoying if she's got a long kill zone.

Ice walls have a huge cooldown, and thus only operate as a temporary Reinhardt shield. Getting up to her and icing up her poo poo doesn't work because she'll shoot Mei and kill Mei if she's good. In fact, it'd be a better idea to try to counter-snipe with Mei's RMB, but if you're doing that to deal with Widowmaker, why not just switch to Widowmaker yourself?

quote:

D.Va - do a spiral boost/your shield if you're gonna be boosting in her direction, otherwise use cover and get up in her poo poo, then hose her down, though don't expect to secure the kill but at least she'll gently caress off so your team can advance.

lmao she just walks away and finds another spot three feet away to continue to kill D.Va's team while D.Va slowly walks towards her, plinking her with her pathetic weapons. Or, alternatively, kills D.Va because D.Va is 99% headshot.

quote:

Reaper - really self explanatory.

Widowmaker knows where Reaper is if her Ult is up, which removes one of his greater assets. Reaper's travel is delayed, telegraphed, and requires standing still, making him an easy target. Assuming equal skill, Widowmaker just walks away from his loud stomps in the incredibly rare circumstance a Reaper gets around to her without ever being in her line of vision.

quote:

Winston - one of the best to counter with. Jump between cover, drop the shield if you land in the open. Jump all up in her poo poo and get her to gently caress off, though you probably won't kill her.

Shoot da monkey in da face. Admittedly, the only real counter and Widowmaker is basically why 2 Winstons is a thing in competitive, but with only one, Widowmaker probably wins with equal skill, or she just walks away and finds another spot to kill people.

quote:

Tracer - assuming you can reach her somehow, just move erratically and then blast her in the face, ideally from an angle where she didn't see you coming.

Tracer and Zenyatta both fall over from a single body shot from Widowmaker like lol are you for real

quote:

Roadhog - jump erratically and just tank her shots, drink up in cover, hook her down to you, and rip her face off. Won't work if her team is piling damage on you, though.

Hook doesn't reach that far. In fact, Roadhog is probably the worst idea because you'll just give her shittons of Ult charge and she can have wallhax activated 24/7.

quote:

Junkrat - Indirect fire. That's it.

I'm honestly having trouble thinking of any popular Widowmaker spots where you can walk your low-ranged rear end up and fire grenades at her and she won't be able to peak and snipe you. I mean, Pharah and Junkrat at least have the option of attacking her, unlike most of the rest of the heroes, but that doesn't necessarily make for counters because in both cases a good Widowmaker will just shoot you then walk away before taking damage (or take the damage and not die).

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
ya well my hero can beat up your hero

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

a cat on an apple posted:

Skill match-up, and one where Widowmaker has the advantage for being as simple as "click on Genji's head." At best, Genji can mind-game her, or Widowmaker can just ignore him if he's slowly covering ground. Genji using his dash to go between cover means he has no escape options from others. Widowmaker knows where Genji is if her Ult is up, which removes one of his largest assets in flanking.

Ice walls have a huge cooldown, and thus only operate as a temporary Reinhardt shield. Getting up to her and icing up her poo poo doesn't work because she'll shoot Mei and kill Mei if she's good. In fact, it'd be a better idea to try to counter-snipe with Mei's RMB, but if you're doing that to deal with Widowmaker, why not just switch to Widowmaker yourself?

lmao she just walks away and finds another spot three feet away to continue to kill D.Va's team while D.Va slowly walks towards her, plinking her with her pathetic weapons. Or, alternatively, kills D.Va because D.Va is 99% headshot.

Widowmaker knows where Reaper is if her Ult is up, which removes one of his greater assets. Reaper's travel is delayed, telegraphed, and requires standing still, making him an easy target. Assuming equal skill, Widowmaker just walks away from his loud stomps in the incredibly rare circumstance a Reaper gets around to her without ever being in her line of vision.

Shoot da monkey in da face. Admittedly, the only real counter and Widowmaker is basically why 2 Winstons is a thing in competitive, but with only one, Widowmaker probably wins with equal skill, or she just walks away and finds another spot to kill people.

Tracer and Zenyatta both fall over from a single body shot from Widowmaker like lol are you for real

Hook doesn't reach that far. In fact, Roadhog is probably the worst idea because you'll just give her shittons of Ult charge and she can have wallhax activated 24/7.

I'm honestly having trouble thinking of any popular Widowmaker spots where you can walk your low-ranged rear end up and fire grenades at her and she won't be able to peak and snipe you. I mean, Pharah and Junkrat at least have the option of attacking her, unlike most of the rest of the heroes, but that doesn't necessarily make for counters because in both cases a good Widowmaker will just shoot you then walk away before taking damage (or take the damage and not die).

http://i.imgur.com/96v4IZt.webm

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I assume that's exaggerated a bit, but yeah widow has tools to deal with every character in the game if the player is good.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Mei can be difficult for Reaper

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

it's like the ability to shoot other characters in the head rapidly for very high damage is powerful

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
So myself and another goon did a two mei tandem, and when you're pushing the payload forward, it seems quite helpful to continue alternating ice walls on top of the front of the payload. Pubbies had no idea what the hell to do with that for a while.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I really wish I could get the feel for Overwatch but I really haven't found my niche on any of the characters.

I also don't like that literally every game has the action always coalescing in one area. I want game modes where you have to split forces occasionally. Like a capture the flag or a map where there are always two open capture points.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
The problem I have with her is that the game is mostly balanced around counterpicking being a thing, with a lot of heroes having obvious, assuming equal skill match-ups, counters that pressure them either completely off the map or into a different pick. Widowmaker is one of the heroes that really doesn't*, along with McCree, whose existence is the reason Tracer isn't in this category herself. The only counter-pick are mirror picks, in these cases, which sucks.

*after a certain level of skill.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODqlPn68Uq0

"So I hear McCree is the most OP hero. Let's give him a spin"

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Mordiceius posted:

I really wish I could get the feel for Overwatch but I really haven't found my niche on any of the characters.

I also don't like that literally every game has the action always coalescing in one area. I want game modes where you have to split forces occasionally. Like a capture the flag or a map where there are always two open capture points.

That's the nature of having only 6 to a team. I do hope they eventually implement some larger maps/team modes. I love the chaos of big team fights.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Ddraig posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODqlPn68Uq0

"So I hear McCree is the most OP hero. Let's give him a spin"

One McCree play of the game I saw started off with him Flashing/Fanning a level 1 Torb turret, which would of gotten two shot at that range by McCree's M1.

When I asked him why he didn't just M1 he replied "shut the gently caress up your just salty you didn't get potg qq more"

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Orange Crush Rush posted:

One McCree play of the game I saw started off with him Flashing/Fanning a level 1 Torb turret, which would of gotten two shot at that range by McCree's M1.

When I asked him why he didn't just M1 he replied "shut the gently caress up your just salty you didn't get potg qq more"

Was he right?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Orange Crush Rush posted:

This is peak mcree

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Away all Goats posted:

That's the nature of having only 6 to a team. I do hope they eventually implement some larger maps/team modes. I love the chaos of big team fights.

I just think it's at times annoying because fights will never be anything but a 6v6 meatgrinder on the objective.

I want something that's the 2fort equivalent.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
A genuinely good Mercy POTG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNh4-VI13ss

She saved her entire team and they probably never realized it.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
why is everyone playing terrible zenyatta today. At least move the orb around if you're gonna pick the worst guy. Dan Hibiki over here can't even land a fireball

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Who do you people like to play on Anubis attack because it's maybe the only map where I haven't found someone I like

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Soldier 76 all day every day. Like the grizzled old dad he is, he'll carry the rest of the team and not kick up too much of a stink.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Who do you people like to play on Anubis attack because it's maybe the only map where I haven't found someone I like

pharah

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Mordiceius posted:

I just think it's at times annoying because fights will never be anything but a 6v6 meatgrinder on the objective.

I want something that's the 2fort equivalent.

CTF could actually be pretty drat awesome in this game, assuming there were some limitations like, you know, Tracer and Lucio can't carry the flag.

Help Im Alive posted:

D.Va, Genji, and Mei are all tons of fun on that map.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Cordyceps posted:

I know she's weak but I'm really enjoying D.Va. People will also still die to her ult if you lob it somewhere on a parabola while in the air, and it is still always funny

The three main changes I'd like to see:
1.) slightly less falloff on her guns
2.) don't slow the mech down to a crawl when she's shooting -- that is absolute bullshit
3.) give zero suit dva a button other than left click -- a sprint or a roll would be real nice
I think she should slow when firing, but maybe better damage/falloff. Taking away the slow just makes her into a winston with a different ult.

When I'm picking out a tank to play, one of the niches that's not there is one that can lay down covering fire that discourages enemies from popping their heads up or rushing in; roadhog gets the closest just by the threat of hooking and deleting someone. I think that's where D.Va's meant to be since she has the only weapon that can fire non-stop without having to reload, she just doesn't really do enough damage at enough range for it to be much of a deterrent except at point blank range. So, she wouldn't be racking up kills, but could clomp alongside the payload laying down fire or jet up to a nearby building to gently caress with the enemies positioning.

I'm not sure how you'd set her up as that role without making her a crazy tanky damage hose that can jet into someone's face and shred them at will, though. It'd probably take adding a slow to targets hit or something like that.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
saved up loot boxes to open all at once; got two blue skins in ten boxes, nothing better. Overwatch is really skint with this poo poo

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

But think of all the sprays you got! :iamafag:

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
so it turns out that the more I play the game, the more I find myself gravitating toward my old standby archetypes instead of branching out, when I willfully tried to do the opposite for Overwatch

in TF2 I played the Scout almost to the exclusion of all other characters and I think I got pretty good at the Scout; Scattergun/Sandman/Mad Milk will forever be my jam and that just who I was, especially among my group of friends who all took it as a given that I would pick the Scout or most Scout-like class in any given team-based objective shooter

So for this game I deliberately started out playing Zenyatta, Soldier: 76, Reaper, Hanzo, and Reinhardt, and while I still think all those heroes are good I eventually gave Tracer another shot after initially thinking she wasn't that great

Now Tracer is my 2nd most played hero

related: I loving love Genji, I found out today. RMB>melee>Dash is brutal, his primary is elite, and Reflect is dope as gently caress

pub Genjis have historically played in weird, ineffective fashion that I've seen, but if you actually just play to his strengths he's really, really good at his job - which is to say, cleaning up a teamfight, or engaging 1 to 2 heroes and either distracting them for a while or murdering them

he feels pretty distinct from Tracer, as well, which is neat, and his ultimate brings out the most weeb tendencies in me

RYUUJIN NO KEN WO KURAE indeed

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Asimo posted:

But think of all the sprays you got! :iamafag:

Look at the very least they could do is let me buy player icons. There's a Garrosh one I saw. GIVE ME BLIZZ

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Fuzz posted:

CTF could actually be pretty drat awesome in this game, assuming there were some limitations like, you know, Tracer and Lucio can't carry the flag.

Make it so that carrying the flag causes a 50% movement speed debuff and you can't shoot.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw5sf_0PtM8

(The other two guys below got mopped up moments later)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Mordiceius posted:

Make it so that carrying the flag causes a 50% movement speed debuff and you can't shoot.

So you turn into a D.Va/Mercy hybrid, got it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ddraig posted:

A genuinely good Mercy POTG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNh4-VI13ss

She saved her entire team and they probably never realized it.

"It's High-" NOPE! Is the funniest thing with McCree. Honestly despite his Ult being able to potentially snipe and one-shot every single player on an enemy team, I really don't mind it. Yes it's potentially ludicrously deadly, but it's also slow, telegraphed and gets a few points for being ridiculously thematically appropriate for the character. The only thing that pisses me off is his M2. ONLY thing. Of course that one thing is so goddamned BS it really does overshadow anything.

Oh, another thing I love about High Noon is how many people gently caress it up. I think my favorite killcams are when McCree High Noon's me, and only me, and then releases early so he has to cherry tap me with an M1 to finish me off.

Honestly I'm really not sure what to do with the Hammer Fan to balance it out. An admittedly salty part of me liked the idea of removing it and buffing his roll/flashbang, maybe giving him an Old Western stick of dynamite instead.

Also, let's be honest, how long until McCree gets a Jim Raynor skin/voicepack so we can be space cowboys? This is Blizzard, you know there probably will be one eventually.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I heard that there's no OSX version of Overwatch because Apple dropped out of an agreement to port World of Warcraft to iOS. Is that really the case?

I read it's because Apple is like 3 versions behind in terms of OpenGL support because they're pushing their own proprietary graphics tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
you know you've reached Max MMR when people are making stopwatch and scrim jokes in chat