Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Thanks Ants posted:

Probably wasn't clear enough in the post - their issue with the cert was that it didn't come from a public provider, not that it was specifically self-signed. As in they want to see a valid Verisign or whatever certificate on the device for a domain that doesn't exist in public DNS.

You say encouraging http here is backwards; it's not. A false sense of security is worse than no security at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
poo poo pissing me off: people.

We have pretty lax security, but the policy has always been 'mobile devices on guest wifi, laptops on internal wifi'. This is how it was originally configured. I just rolled out SSL inspection which requires all systems to get the firewall cert via GPO, which works great for our windows users, mac users can gently caress off, I don't care about them.

dozen complaints because gmail isn't working on tablet/phones because of the change.

No poo poo it isn't, get them the gently caress off my corporate wifi, why the gently caress did someone change the policy to allow this? No one will own up to making the change either. Motherfuckers.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
can you even get a cert signed by someone from outside for a domain that is not public?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

KennyTheFish posted:

can you even get a cert signed by someone from outside for a domain that is not public?

The domain has to be registered to get a CA cert generated for it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

keseph posted:

You say encouraging http here is backwards; it's not. A false sense of security is worse than no security at all.

I'd take your point if we were talking about a public service and encouraging staff to click through certificate errors, because yeah then they're going to click right through them when joined to a network that is MITM everything, but I can't see how it matters that much internally on something that isn't end-user facing. More and more devices don't even have HTTP as an option any more.

It was more a comment on firms that bill themselves as security professionals that just pitch up with a laptop and run a scan to generate a checklist with highlighting this cert as an example of that.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
I think a lot of the teamview issues acrually stem from people reusing the same password + the enormous Linkedin user dump that just happened.

It doesn't take much to put two and two together and assume that a lot of IT professionals will be using some sort of remote access software.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The only thing I wonder about with the guessable password theory is the number of people who were affected that said they had 2 factor auth enabled.

So, at the very least, it's guessed passwords plus a 2FA exploit which is better but still not great.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

bull3964 posted:

The only thing I wonder about with the guessable password theory is the number of people who were affected that said they had 2 factor auth enabled.

So, at the very least, it's guessed passwords plus a 2FA exploit which is better but still not great.

If the 2FA was rigged to send to an email account, it's not too far of a stretch to assume the email account has the same password. That makes 2FA trivial to break.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I think a lot of the teamview issues acrually stem from people reusing the same password + the enormous Linkedin user dump that just happened.

It doesn't take much to put two and two together and assume that a lot of IT professionals will be using some sort of remote access software.

I was lucky that when my password was cracked for teamview I was actually on one of the computer which when it was first connected to. The popup on the lower right hand window came up and the computer name wasn't something I recognized. I immediately changed the password and checked every teamviewer log on every computer I use it on.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Raerlynn posted:

If the 2FA was rigged to send to an email account, it's not too far of a stretch to assume the email account has the same password. That makes 2FA trivial to break.

Not too far of a stretch, but it's stretching more.

If someone is going to go through the effort for 2FA, there's a better than average chance that they aren't the 'use the same password everywhere' type.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Godammit what the hell am I gonna use to remotely support my parents now.

There's hardly any huge danger in putting TV Quicksupport on their desktop and having them click on it when you're on the phone with them.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's been three months since I highlighted an issue with an internal system that holds critical data, set out a plan to get it onto a stable platform and documented, and just asked for time to be allocated to get it done. Still waiting :thumbsup:.

bull3964 posted:

Not too far of a stretch, but it's stretching more.

If someone is going to go through the effort for 2FA, there's a better than average chance that they aren't the 'use the same password everywhere' type.

I have definitely met people who feel like they can use the same password everywhere because they also use 2FA.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

flosofl posted:

A lot of these fly-by-night "security" companies
A bit unrelated, but what does the term "fly-by-night" mean in this context? I've seen it thrown around and haven't been able to figure it out.

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

A bit unrelated, but what does the term "fly-by-night" mean in this context? I've seen it thrown around and haven't been able to figure it out.

Personally I've always understood it to be in reference to People who trade / sell stuff either from shops or stalls that overnight just vanish. Wikitionary has: One who departs or flees at night in order to avoid creditors, law enforcement etc. (often used attributively).

This is UK British usage

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

In US usage, it's similar to seadweller's definition, except it has dropped the definition of fleeing by night. It means any company, outfit, or operation that was or is setup to fold quickly - usually in a context of avoiding the post-sale customer service aspect and/or disappearing with money spent e.g. on a support contract. The context is that if you spend your money with them, you will probably not get what you paid for.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Why do I have to clear my browser cache? It's 2016, I do not have a slow or limited connection. My browser shouldn't be caching anything.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

FogHelmut posted:

Why do I have to clear my browser cache? It's 2016, I do not have a slow or limited connection. My browser shouldn't be caching anything.

I honestly don't know if you're being sarcastic or not.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

The servers may have a slow connection, relative to the amount of clients served, and we still haven't invented FTL communications so roundtrip times will often also matter.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Gounads posted:

I honestly don't know if you're being sarcastic or not.

I'm not. There is no reason for it. It's some silly legacy thing from the early 90s. The browser should be loading the freshest poo poo each time. It is insane that when I'm trying to get some vendor's garbage software to work I have to go through three menu levels to press a button and then reload the browser. It's been SOP for a hundred years now, its like the world is brainwashed.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

FogHelmut posted:

I'm not. There is no reason for it. It's some silly legacy thing from the early 90s. The browser should be loading the freshest poo poo each time. It is insane that when I'm trying to get some vendor's garbage software to work I have to go through three menu levels to press a button and then reload the browser. It's been SOP for a hundred years now, its like the world is brainwashed.

I would think that caching for the sake of efficiency is still valid in the year of our lord 2016.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

FogHelmut posted:

First, I'll agree. You should never have to go clear the cache. If you do, the app was poorly designed to handle caching.

But, you're crazy if you think there should never be any caching. It should be completely invisible to the user except their poo poo loads a ton faster. On a well designed site, it's the difference between clicking a link and having the page come up in a couple hundred milliseconds vs. coming up in a few seconds. That's huge. On a poorly designed site, it might be the difference between a couple hundred milliseconds and 10 seconds of downloading JS dependencies. Give someone a lovely connection, and you might save them half a minute.

nielsm posted:

The servers may have a slow connection, relative to the amount of clients served, and we still haven't invented FTL communications so roundtrip times will often also matter.

Plus that.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

FogHelmut posted:

This is pretty wrong.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah why should my browser cache forum avatars, I demand the absolute freshest bits every single time I :f5: a thread.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

xzzy posted:

Yeah why should my browser cache forum avatars, I demand the absolute freshest bits every single time I :f5: a thread.

Somethingawful probably saves terabytes on bandwidth a month on avatar caching alone with all the users. Oh wait we still have some archaic 100kb limit, so few hundred gigs? Reading 20 pages in a thread is let's assume half that so 50*50=250kb of avatars. 20 pages brings that to 5MB I'd hazard that's about average for oh let's just say 1000 users per day. Remember you don't have to read the full page we aren't caching so reading 1 new message or pressing f5 will refresh everything. that's 5GB/day 150GB/month in bandwidth savings at a probably very conservative estimate over 50kb files.

On dialup often you were the limiting factor, now the servers are the limiting factor.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Then start caching the ads if efficiency is such a concern. I'm done clearing my cache.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
This seems like a very strange hill to die on.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

FogHelmut posted:

Then start caching the ads if efficiency is such a concern. I'm done clearing my cache.

Dude, just turn off your caching if it's such a big deal.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

FogHelmut posted:

There's a reason Google hosts a CDN for popular Javascript libraries. (https://developers.google.com/speed/libraries/) That way one cache entry is valid for thousands of sites and doesn't require yet another round trip as part of every page load.

You need to fix your actual problem. If you're having to clear your cache regularly something is horribly stupid with whatever site is causing you to do that.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Is the linkedin thing super new, or is that why they told me to change my password a month or two ago?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

2012 incident and more credentials were leaked in the last few weeks, IIRC.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Gounads posted:

First, I'll agree. You should never have to go clear the cache. If you do, the app was poorly designed to handle caching.

As someone who works for a company who's product is a Webapp - you are forgetting lovely browsers/lovely addons/lovely PC's/etc. Our stuff ~shouldn't~ need to be refreshed to grab any of the latest updates. But on a lot of peoples PC's it needs to be forced. You can code as well as you like, but when there's poo poo on someones computer that's preventing your code from working...whelp.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I've got my IE cache set to a max of 250MB, yet youtube keeps filling a temp folder elsewhere with gigs of temp video

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

spog posted:

I've got my IE cache set to a max of 250MB, yet youtube keeps filling a temp folder elsewhere with gigs of temp video
Does YouTube on IE still use Flash?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

anthonypants posted:

Does YouTube on IE still use Flash?

HTML5

It's a bunch of big files:

C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\H1ACC43X\videoplayback[2].mp4 120,693 KB
C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\DR4VIKKT\videoplayback[1].dat 32,768 KB
C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\1E1JSXVV\videoplayback[1].dat 24,448 KB
C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\1E1JSXVV\videoplayback[5].mp4 23,613 KB

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
poo poo that pisses me off: Spilled sweet tea on my laptop.

poo poo not pissing me off: Fuckin' saved it :hellyeah:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
People who drink sweet tea get what they deserve!

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Shots fired!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

poo poo pissing me off: Someone did SOMETHING to the auth mechanism on our internal documentation site, and now none of the engineering dept can actually log into it, even with known good accounts that have had nothing changed.

How hard is it to NOT break a thing that was working fine 2 weeks ago?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Arnold Palmer supremacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

spog posted:

It's a bunch of big files:

C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\H1ACC43X\tubgirl.mp4 120,693 KB
C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\DR4VIKKT\goatse.dat 32,768 KB
C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\1E1JSXVV\lemonparty.dat 24,448 KB
C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\1E1JSXVV\nin_closer.mp4 23,613 KB

:stare: